2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby wolves65 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:42 pm

put up all the points you want, neither Maple valley or Richland will go to State and that is the goal. Ask Olivia which would she take-stats or a trip to Bismarck.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:30 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby ClassBEast » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:32 am

wolves65 wrote:put up all the points you want, neither Maple valley or Richland will go to State and that is the goal. Ask Olivia which would she take-stats or a trip to Bismarck.


Agreed. I'm sure Courtney Dixon wouldn't give up playing in 2 state title games (with the chance at another run again this year) for better stats on a weaker team.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:00 am
Location: North Dakota, , USA

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby StraightShooter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:37 am

ClassBEast wrote:
StraightShooter wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
StraightShooter wrote:In my opinion, the Senior Athlete Award is a little misleading as to who the best player in the district/region is. Take Richland for example. Oliva Johnson is clearly a very good player. All-State, All-District, etc. Her numbers are going to be huge again this year because Richland runs EVERYTHING through her (as they should). If you put Johnson on a better team like Kindred or Central Cass, would she put up the same numbers? Probably not. Would she be thought of as the favorite for this award? I don't think so. If you put Courtney Dixon from CC on Richland, would she put up huge numbers too? Probably.

I think Johnson wins it because her numbers will be so much better than everyone else in District 2 and Region 1. I think players like Dahl (Kindred), Dixon (Central Cass), and Voss (Central Cass) have a chance to challenge Johnson.

This same thing applies with other players in the District. Take the Nudell girl for example. Once again a very good player, especially for her age. She puts up monster numbers. But she plays for Maple Valley. Is Nudell better than Dahl, Dixon, or Voss right now because she puts up better numbers? No. But people look at the boxcore and make their opinions based on that. The boxscore doesn't tell the whole story.

Again, I'm not taking anything away from Nudell or Johnson. I think they are great players. I was just using them as an example.

Johnson will win it because she is a workhorse who is consistent. She earns every rebound which leads to her points. I don't think that would be any different if she played on another team including any Class A team. As for Nudell, she is talented. As an 8th grader, if the teams in District 2 can't stop her from putting up big number, then she is either really good or the teams are not as good as they think.


Johnson will win it becasue she puts up big numbers as the only player on a team that's not as good as other teams in the district. Again, Johnson is a very good player. But if Johnson played on a better team, she would put up similar numbers to what Dixon and Dahl will put up.

Nudell IS talented. Never said she wasn't. But, like every player who plays varsity basketball as a Jr. Higher (boys or girls), she has been crowned as the next Miss Basketball. Same thing happend with Taylor Kraft. Same thing is happening for Olivia Johnson. I guarantee you if you let players like Tatum Holt from Oak Grove or Hannah Breske from Central Cass take every single shot and do everything for their respective teams, people would be saying how THEY are the best players in the district/region.

As far as your "District 2 can't stop her from putting up big numbers" comment: good teams did "stop" her and she went off against less talented teams. Again, I'm not saying she's not talented. Clearly she is. To be able to play at this level as a 7th grader is impressive. But people look at the boxscore and say "Oh Jeez. This 7th grader scored 25 points last night! Wow!" Albeit impressive, she does EVERYTHING for them. So by default, she's going to put up big numbers. Again, the boxscore doesn't tell the whole story.


I agree with you. For example, Nudell got the MVP award for the Courts Plus league this summer. Clearly, she was not the best player in the league (MN schools, Class A schools, good Class B schools), but she was by far the best player on her team so she had great stats. Hannah Breske (CC) was one of the five on the "all-star" list for the league, but I would take her over Nudell any day of the week. She's just better. She's older, has more experience and right now, she is a better player.

The same thing goes for the all-district team. The girls selected aren't truly the best 12 girls in the district. They are each the best on their team, but # 1 on Maple Valley's teams isn't necessarily better than # 5 on Central Cass's team. Last year, say Nudell went to Central Cass instead of Maple Valley, there is a distinct possibility that she would not even be on the varsity as a 7th grader, and she certainly wouldn't be playing enough to make the all-district team.

Sorry, this was off-topic as neither of those girls are seniors, but when they are, I would be willing to bet they will be Miss BB candidates in their respective senior years. :D


Great post. You hit the nail on the head.
StraightShooter
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby ClassBalways » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:45 am

StraightShooter wrote:
ClassBEast wrote:
StraightShooter wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
StraightShooter wrote:In my opinion, the Senior Athlete Award is a little misleading as to who the best player in the district/region is. Take Richland for example. Oliva Johnson is clearly a very good player. All-State, All-District, etc. Her numbers are going to be huge again this year because Richland runs EVERYTHING through her (as they should). If you put Johnson on a better team like Kindred or Central Cass, would she put up the same numbers? Probably not. Would she be thought of as the favorite for this award? I don't think so. If you put Courtney Dixon from CC on Richland, would she put up huge numbers too? Probably.

I think Johnson wins it because her numbers will be so much better than everyone else in District 2 and Region 1. I think players like Dahl (Kindred), Dixon (Central Cass), and Voss (Central Cass) have a chance to challenge Johnson.

This same thing applies with other players in the District. Take the Nudell girl for example. Once again a very good player, especially for her age. She puts up monster numbers. But she plays for Maple Valley. Is Nudell better than Dahl, Dixon, or Voss right now because she puts up better numbers? No. But people look at the boxcore and make their opinions based on that. The boxscore doesn't tell the whole story.

Again, I'm not taking anything away from Nudell or Johnson. I think they are great players. I was just using them as an example.

Johnson will win it because she is a workhorse who is consistent. She earns every rebound which leads to her points. I don't think that would be any different if she played on another team including any Class A team. As for Nudell, she is talented. As an 8th grader, if the teams in District 2 can't stop her from putting up big number, then she is either really good or the teams are not as good as they think.


Johnson will win it becasue she puts up big numbers as the only player on a team that's not as good as other teams in the district. Again, Johnson is a very good player. But if Johnson played on a better team, she would put up similar numbers to what Dixon and Dahl will put up.

Nudell IS talented. Never said she wasn't. But, like every player who plays varsity basketball as a Jr. Higher (boys or girls), she has been crowned as the next Miss Basketball. Same thing happend with Taylor Kraft. Same thing is happening for Olivia Johnson. I guarantee you if you let players like Tatum Holt from Oak Grove or Hannah Breske from Central Cass take every single shot and do everything for their respective teams, people would be saying how THEY are the best players in the district/region.

As far as your "District 2 can't stop her from putting up big numbers" comment: good teams did "stop" her and she went off against less talented teams. Again, I'm not saying she's not talented. Clearly she is. To be able to play at this level as a 7th grader is impressive. But people look at the boxscore and say "Oh Jeez. This 7th grader scored 25 points last night! Wow!" Albeit impressive, she does EVERYTHING for them. So by default, she's going to put up big numbers. Again, the boxscore doesn't tell the whole story.


I agree with you. For example, Nudell got the MVP award for the Courts Plus league this summer. Clearly, she was not the best player in the league (MN schools, Class A schools, good Class B schools), but she was by far the best player on her team so she had great stats. Hannah Breske (CC) was one of the five on the "all-star" list for the league, but I would take her over Nudell any day of the week. She's just better. She's older, has more experience and right now, she is a better player.

The same thing goes for the all-district team. The girls selected aren't truly the best 12 girls in the district. They are each the best on their team, but # 1 on Maple Valley's teams isn't necessarily better than # 5 on Central Cass's team. Last year, say Nudell went to Central Cass instead of Maple Valley, there is a distinct possibility that she would not even be on the varsity as a 7th grader, and she certainly wouldn't be playing enough to make the all-district team.

Sorry, this was off-topic as neither of those girls are seniors, but when they are, I would be willing to bet they will be Miss BB candidates in their respective senior years. :D


Great post. You hit the nail on the head.[/quot

AGREED! Thanks for the great responses.
ClassBalways
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:37 pm

After giving it some more thought, I will have to agree w/ some of the points that have been made. A 7th or 8th grader wouldn't get even the chance to play on the freshman teams at a big Class A school (only at maybe a smaller private school) or a bigger Class B team. I will stick w/ Johnson being the leading senior in Region 1 tho. She earns a lot of her points hitting the boards. Its not as glamorous as making a few 3 pointers, but she is very effective.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby 4thegame » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:56 pm

actually im pretty sure that there were a couple class A schools in the west that started playing 8th graders. I know exactly what you are talking about as far as stats being inflated because of the earlier start to their careers, but you cant take anything away from some of these girls becuase they have the talent level to compete at the varsity level at that age. but i will say that all to often i am dissappointed when i see these players that are hyped up because of their numbers. and yeah the numbers don't account for the difference in players rolls on their respective teams, what the coach is trying to accomplish, and even how officials are officiating on a particular night.
4thegame
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:20 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:54 pm

4thegame wrote:actually im pretty sure that there were a couple class A schools in the west that started playing 8th graders. I know exactly what you are talking about as far as stats being inflated because of the earlier start to their careers, but you cant take anything away from some of these girls becuase they have the talent level to compete at the varsity level at that age. but i will say that all to often i am dissappointed when i see these players that are hyped up because of their numbers. and yeah the numbers don't account for the difference in players rolls on their respective teams, what the coach is trying to accomplish, and even how officials are officiating on a particular night.

Minot is the only Class A school to list any 8th graders on their roster. They had 2, but I would guess that they got moved up since they didn't have any freshmen. Its hard for younger players at Class A schools to get moved up because they are still generally attending school in middle school, and can get a lot of playing time staying down. There were actually only 6 freshman in the WDA...1-Jamestown, 2-Bismarck, 3-TM.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:02 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
4thegame wrote:actually im pretty sure that there were a couple class A schools in the west that started playing 8th graders. I know exactly what you are talking about as far as stats being inflated because of the earlier start to their careers, but you cant take anything away from some of these girls becuase they have the talent level to compete at the varsity level at that age. but i will say that all to often i am dissappointed when i see these players that are hyped up because of their numbers. and yeah the numbers don't account for the difference in players rolls on their respective teams, what the coach is trying to accomplish, and even how officials are officiating on a particular night.

Minot is the only Class A school to list any 8th graders on their roster. They had 2, but I would guess that they got moved up since they didn't have any freshmen. Its hard for younger players at Class A schools to get moved up because they are still generally attending school in middle school, and can get a lot of playing time staying down. There were actually only 6 freshman in the WDA...1-Jamestown, 2-Bismarck, 3-TM.


Shanley played a 7th grader occasionally.
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores@yahoo.com
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 10959
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:18 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
4thegame wrote:actually im pretty sure that there were a couple class A schools in the west that started playing 8th graders. I know exactly what you are talking about as far as stats being inflated because of the earlier start to their careers, but you cant take anything away from some of these girls becuase they have the talent level to compete at the varsity level at that age. but i will say that all to often i am dissappointed when i see these players that are hyped up because of their numbers. and yeah the numbers don't account for the difference in players rolls on their respective teams, what the coach is trying to accomplish, and even how officials are officiating on a particular night.

Minot is the only Class A school to list any 8th graders on their roster. They had 2, but I would guess that they got moved up since they didn't have any freshmen. Its hard for younger players at Class A schools to get moved up because they are still generally attending school in middle school, and can get a lot of playing time staying down. There were actually only 6 freshman in the WDA...1-Jamestown, 2-Bismarck, 3-TM.


Shanley played a 7th grader occasionally.

That was actually the school I was initially thinking of in Class A that have maybe moved up younger players.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby childplease » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:04 pm

I would say Peterson will win it over mccloud, hard to say thougn
childplease
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:18 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby VB2009 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:06 pm

District 8 - Mckenzie Hart or Julie Dinius or Allison Slaubaugh. All great athletes!
VB2009
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:09 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby gameplayer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:29 pm

VB2009 wrote:District 8 - Mckenzie Hart or Julie Dinius or Allison Slaubaugh. All great athletes!


I dont think Allison Slaubaugh is the fifth best player on her team.
gameplayer
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:03 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby classbkillas » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:01 am

EHS1998 wrote:Watch out for Brianna Vance from Ellendale o have a solid year as well. She is a gym rat and no one works harder than she does in the off season.



I don't think Vance can even be counted in this. Yes she has talent... but shes nothing compared to the other players in the region.
classbkillas
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby LoveNDSports » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:43 pm

Any early predictions for each District anyone?
LoveNDSports
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:46 pm

LoveNDSports wrote:Any early predictions for each District anyone?


District 2 will come down to Courtney Dixon (Central Cass) and Olivia Johnson (Richland)
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores@yahoo.com
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 10959
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby VB2009 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:35 pm

gameplayer wrote:
VB2009 wrote:District 8 - Mckenzie Hart or Julie Dinius or Allison Slaubaugh. All great athletes!


I dont think Allison Slaubaugh is the fifth best player on her team.


Who would be better then Allison Slaubaugh on her team? She is by far the best player. In one game last year before she left for Kidder County she had 100% Feild Goal %. She was only in Kidder County for half the year and got honorable mention on the District Team. She made the district team for Rolette her sophomore year. She has a great shooting percentage and is definately the strongest on the team. She gets steals and is great defensively.
VB2009
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:09 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby Nodak Guy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 pm

So who do the District Senior Athletes look like at the midway point of the season?
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:57 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby blindside2 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:49 am

District 4 could go to Riley Francis from F-l-PR, Hanna Thompson, Samantha DeSautel or Brooke Gaustad from Grafton. No clear favorite in this district as they all are putting up decent numbers.
blindside2
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:17 am

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby bequickdonthurry » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:01 am

classbkillas wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:Watch out for Brianna Vance from Ellendale o have a solid year as well. She is a gym rat and no one works harder than she does in the off season.



I don't think Vance can even be counted in this. Yes she has talent... but shes nothing compared to the other players in the region.



So what other players? Keep in mind, the thread is DISTRICT players, not region. Whatcha got for district 5 players?
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby bball4 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:03 pm

bequickdonthurry wrote:
classbkillas wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:Watch out for Brianna Vance from Ellendale o have a solid year as well. She is a gym rat and no one works harder than she does in the off season.



I don't think Vance can even be counted in this. Yes she has talent... but shes nothing compared to the other players in the region.



So what other players? Keep in mind, the thread is DISTRICT players, not region. Whatcha got for district 5 players?



I completely agree with you, bequick. I have been trying to catch some D5 games & have seen Ellendale a few times. I watched Vance the last couple years and she is vastly improved. Carlson from PBK has put up big numbers in the past, but her team mate, Beckley (?...not sure if she is a Senior) has been doing a nice job for the Rebels also. I have yet to see BCN play, but Vance is certainly amoung the top Seniors of District 5.
bball4
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby EHS1998 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:22 am

bball4 wrote:
bequickdonthurry wrote:
classbkillas wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:Watch out for Brianna Vance from Ellendale o have a solid year as well. She is a gym rat and no one works harder than she does in the off season.



I don't think Vance can even be counted in this. Yes she has talent... but shes nothing compared to the other players in the region.



So what other players? Keep in mind, the thread is DISTRICT players, not region. Whatcha got for district 5 players?



I completely agree with you, bequick. I have been trying to catch some D5 games & have seen Ellendale a few times. I watched Vance the last couple years and she is vastly improved. Carlson from PBK has put up big numbers in the past, but her team mate, Beckley (?...not sure if she is a Senior) has been doing a nice job for the Rebels also. I have yet to see BCN play, but Vance is certainly amoung the top Seniors of District 5.


BB4 and BQ - Thanks. I am a bit sheepish talking about Ellendale players these days as I typically get blasted for it. However, I think you are both on point. We are talking about the best Senior player in the District. If Brianna Vance isnt in THAT conversation for District 5, I would be shocked. Please remember she has already played on 2 District 5 Championship teams and has been a consistent force inside on both ends of the floor for a Cardinals team that is probably better than they were last year as a whole.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby bequickdonthurry » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:36 pm

Beckley is a junior. So Vance and Carlson have been mentioned. Any others from this district?
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby bball4 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:25 pm

bequickdonthurry wrote:Beckley is a junior. So Vance and Carlson have been mentioned. Any others from this district?


BCN have anyone? I thought I remember Albrecht (or something like that) from last year.
Just wanted to mention attitude here too...both Vance and Carlson seem very respectful (in games I have seen and from a ref's point of view).
bball4
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby Allforfun » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Just need to make a comment to all the Nudell naysayers. The fact that you people are even talking about Nudell in a senior athlete forum is a huge compliment to her being she is only a freshman. To make a point, if CC has such better athletes than MV and Breske is so much better than Nudell then MV might as well forfeit the upcoming contest between the two teams. Next time instead of trying to convince yourselves that she can't be that good, go to a game and appreciate the talents of players from both schools involved.
Allforfun
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Re: 2011 - 2012 Senior District Athletes

Postby leroybla » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 pm

Huh? I guess I missed the naysayers on this thread. A different thread or board? No doubt Nudell is a gifted player and you can compare her to high school athletes at any age. She's focused, tough and talented. If she continues to exhibit those qualities, she'll have a very rewarding athletic career. I sincerely hope she's also having fun. After all, few high school athletes make any money playing sports. We adults tend to distort the importance of sports for our own selfish reasons.
leroybla
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:47 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Girls

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests