Why we need a shot clock!

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Why we need a shot clock!

Postby rrbb » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:01 pm

We really need to make class B more exciting, after watching both class A and B tournaments a shot clock is really needed. 26-24 score was like watching paint dry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rrbb
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Why we need a shot clock!

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:14 pm

I didn't notice any long possessions in this game. A shot clock isn't a cure for bad shooting.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:39 pm

Flip wrote:I didn't notice any long possessions in this game. A shot clock isn't a cure for bad shooting.

Coaches might actually teach shooting, and not spend so much on running plays. 30 seconds is a lot of time.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bequickdonthurry » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:12 am

What makes you think they don't teach shooting? What good is it to run a play if you can't make a shot? Not following your logic.
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:46 am

bequickdonthurry wrote:What makes you think they don't teach shooting? What good is it to run a play if you can't make a shot? Not following your logic.

+1
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby kboftw » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:00 am

I agree that this game wasn't a product of no shot clock... I was at the game and neither team could buy a bucket. It's not like the girls were holding the ball for an exorbitant amount of time on any one possession. There were no murmurs amongst the crowd about the game's pace.

That said, Linton wasn't going to win that particular game getting into a shootout. I'm starting to think the people who respect and enjoy watching a well-managed game between high school athletes are a dying breed. The shot clock is coming, regardless.
kboftw
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:22 am

kboftw wrote:I agree that this game wasn't a product of no shot clock... I was at the game and neither team could buy a bucket. It's not like the girls were holding the ball for an exorbitant amount of time on any one possession. There were no murmurs amongst the crowd about the game's pace.

That said, Linton wasn't going to win that particular game getting into a shootout. I'm starting to think the people who respect and enjoy watching a well-managed game between high school athletes are a dying breed. The shot clock is coming, regardless.

Just curious...were those low scoring games at the State B considered poor shooting games or well-managed defensive games? I don't think that a shot clock is going to instantly make the games better for Class B girls, but hopefully it will shift the urgency of each possession, and involve more players offensively and defensively. It will be harder to have 1 or 2 main players, and just run plays until they are open. So when I say coaches are going to have to teach shooting, I should have said that they might have to have teach shooting to those who are not as comfortable doing so. I really hope it will encourage more players to put time in their game because they might have a bigger role on the team.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:21 pm

I disagree. A shot clock is going to put the ball in the hands of your main players more often. If the shot clock is running down what would your plan be as a coach? Get the ball to someone who get their own shot.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:59 pm

Flip wrote:I disagree. A shot clock is going to put the ball in the hands of your main players more often. If the shot clock is running down what would your plan be as a coach? Get the ball to someone who get their own shot.

What would you do if you are coaching the team on defense and the shot clock was running down?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 14OldSchool » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:02 pm

I think that with or without a shot clock each player should take the good shots within the offensive set. Capable players (which good coaches should be training and encouraging) turning down open 12-15 foot shots so they can get fire a return pass to the primary scoring option aren't doing their teams any favors, but we see it time and time again. Defenses learn quickly who they need to guard closely and who they can lag off of. Now, with the advent of the shot clock, turning down an open look with 7 seconds left on the shot clock may result in a shot clock violation turnover as the defense locks down on open passing lanes to the opposition's primary scorer. A shot clock will obligate players to step up and take those good looks.
I think if we look at some better teams (Northstar and Oak Grove come to mind), both boys and girls, you see that better teams have multiple confident scoring options. To paraphase Charles Barkley , 'A player who passes up a good shot is just as selfish as a player who takes every shot - and does the defense's job for them'.
"You are in the Army. You're in my Army. Everyday between three and five." - Coach Norman Dale
14OldSchool
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:21 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:What would you do if you are coaching the team on defense and the shot clock was running down?

The obvious answer is to focus your attention on the other teams "playmakers" and leave the role players open. But don't teams do this with no shot clock? In theory the role players will get some open shots, but the majority of the shots taken in the final seconds of the shot clock will be taken by the main players. And too think the role players on a team are going to be thinking "hey next year the shot clock is coming I need to work on my jumper." Is a pretty crazy idea.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:51 pm

Flip wrote:I disagree. A shot clock is going to put the ball in the hands of your main players more often. If the shot clock is running down what would your plan be as a coach? Get the ball to someone who get their own shot.

In girls basketball especially you will see the 4th or 5th best player on the team taking a lot of shots (they just won't guard them)
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:06 pm

The Schwab wrote:

In girls basketball especially you will see the 4th or 5th best player on the team taking a lot of shots (they just won't guard them)

Exactly. It's tough to contain a strong player for a long period of time, but if you only have to do it for maybe 20 seconds, it is possible. And many role players will not think "hey the shot clock is coming so I should work on my jumper', but good coaches will be thinking that more than before because that 4th and 5th player is going to have to take more shots.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Girls