Oakes

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Oakes

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:12 am

Hey Oakes was a play-off team two years in a row in 2001/2002!
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfbfan70 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:35 am

ok you got me there didn't know that, but i found their records in both years. from what i saw weren't they under .500??
ndfbfan70
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:18 pm

Where did you find their records? I am thinking they got the bottom seed to get in and may have been 4-5 going into the play-offs.

I don't recall the scores but they played Harvey the first year. They lost in a shoot out something like 50-30.

Harvey was QB'd by Blair Sandy. Faul was a WR and Wolf(e) was the FB. I think that team lost in the semi's.

The next year they played Killdeer. Name escapes me but they had a great HS tailback. Not a pretty game might have been 30 to 14 .

I think the administration in Oakes has struggled with athletics since they tried to start a soccer team with no one to play.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfbfan70 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:23 pm

asked a guy at work that would know not 100% sure.
ndfbfan70
NDPreps Starter

Postby bball4 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:55 pm

heimer wrote:For the person that said this was handled professionally: You have no clue.

It's funny to me that you are defining what is or is not professional. I was simply implying that I am glad the players are not put in the middle. They are kids and don't need the extra pressure. I am not surprised that the kids are not your first concern.
bball4
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:25 pm

bball4 wrote:
heimer wrote:For the person that said this was handled professionally: You have no clue.

I am not surprised that the kids are not your first concern.

I am actually going to defend Heimer here. He and I seldom seem eye to eye on anything, but I do generally think his primary concern is the student athlete. (mostly the Valley City student athlete but that is understandable, I think) How this concern manifests itself is another story altogether.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:35 pm

I left this alone for long enough. Since no one is coming forward with information, and the school board is hiding behind it's super, I'll throw out what I know.

According to my information, and I have no axe to grind with anyone there, there is an assistant coach that has wanted the head coaching job for a while. That coach became connected with a former school board family. There was a former request to remove Sagert, which was denied. Now, there are school board members on their way out, and they chose to make the move, with no plan to recruit for a new coach in place. I guess it's up to us to draw conclusions as to who will get the job.

There will be no explanations from the school board members.

And by the way, coaching changes are messy, and kids are always in the middle of it. While it is true that kids weren't polled or asked for opinions, this situation was done far from professionally.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:14 pm

So is it Dobitz who wants to be the head coach? He married a forward correct?
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby willis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:10 am

Wild Wolves wrote:So is it Dobitz who wants to be the head coach? He married a forward correct?

Yes, Krista Forward, who is also the high school science teacher, Greg also teaches elementary math
willis
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Browner » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:55 pm

willis wrote:
Wild Wolves wrote:So is it Dobitz who wants to be the head coach? He married a forward correct?

Yes, Krista Forward, who is also the high school science teacher, Greg also teaches elementary math

What choo talking bout Willis!!
"Never underestimate the power of the Schwarz"
Browner
NDPreps Starter

Postby jibjab20 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:59 pm

Really think the Oakes coach is getting screwed here. He did a great job with that team and program and really turned them around the last few years. Classybball, numbers of kids in a school doesn't mean a thing! What are the options for kids in the winter? Perhaps some are doing something else. Besides just becsue you have over 40 kids in a class doesn't mean that half of them are girls. I have seen some schools that have 20 some kids in a grade and only 6-7 are girls, now out of those 6-7 how many play basketball? Numbers mean nothing!!
jibjab20
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:05 pm

jibjab20 wrote:Really think the Oakes coach is getting screwed here. He did a great job with that team and program and really turned them around the last few years. Classybball, numbers of kids in a school doesn't mean a thing! What are the options for kids in the winter? Perhaps some are doing something else. Besides just becsue you have over 40 kids in a class doesn't mean that half of them are girls. I have seen some schools that have 20 some kids in a grade and only 6-7 are girls, now out of those 6-7 how many play basketball? Numbers mean nothing!!

I kind of understand what your going for here, but saying numbers mean nothing is ridiculous.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:12 am

Numbers do mean something. Wins and loses are more important than kids on team. eventually if you are doing things correctly the numbers will go up, but that takes time.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:39 pm

I am not very familiar with the Oakes situation, but numbers do mean a lot, and in Class B you don't have a lot of time to build a program. So the crucial goal for a new coach should be getting the number of players up. Most school board members in small towns are only on the board until their kids or grandkids leave the school so they usually want quick results. Unless they have a kid that is an all-stater, most are interested in a program that their kid and their kids friends wants to be in. Most think that if you have a successful program, then the numbers improve. I don't really agree with that in smaller communities. Kids go out when they think they can be contributers on the team.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby footballchicken » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Coaching in some situations , especially in small schools, has become so hard these days.

The above argument of getting kids to come out for your program - which seems to be a fire-able offense now days - has made it so hard for coaches in small towns to even have a fair chance.

No matter what small schools say - If a coach doesn't win, he will eventually get ran out -
But if he wins and his numbers declining because this coach actually EXPECTS something from his/her kids, therefore causing the kids that don't really want to work hard quit, he still gets ran out also because of low numbers.

It's Lose - Lose unless you have a community that doesn't care about winning - or a community that only cares about winning. In this day and age, there aren't many schools with these mentalities any more.

Kudos to the Oakes School Board for setting the bar on how schools boards and coaching decisions SHOULD NOT BE RAN.
footballchicken
NDPreps Starter

Postby willis » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:09 am

footballchicken wrote:Coaching in some situations , especially in small schools, has become so hard these days.

The above argument of getting kids to come out for your program - which seems to be a fire-able offense now days - has made it so hard for coaches in small towns to even have a fair chance.

No matter what small schools say - If a coach doesn't win, he will eventually get ran out -
But if he wins and his numbers declining because this coach actually EXPECTS something from his/her kids, therefore causing the kids that don't really want to work hard quit, he still gets ran out also because of low numbers.

It's Lose - Lose unless you have a community that doesn't care about winning - or a community that only cares about winning. In this day and age, there aren't many schools with these mentalities any more.

The fact that a coach can do something like this, with such a low number, should say something for that coach. your exactly right, if a coach expects something from their players, and they have to work hard they aren't going to be willing to give their effort to the coach so they won't go out unless the coach isnt there anymore.

Kudos to the Oakes School Board for setting the bar on how schools boards and coaching decisions SHOULD NOT BE RAN.
willis
NDPreps Reserve

Postby jibjab20 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:02 am

Football chicken is right on. That is exactly what is happening. NO win for a coach but all the coaches in the stands never apply for the job.
jibjab20
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Nodak Guy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:08 am

According to the board minutes:

Tyre motioned, Hansen seconded, to approve the issuance of a high school math teacher and head girl’s basketball coaching contract for the 2011-12 school year to Caitlyn Wojahn. All approved, motion carried.

Hansen motioned, Bakke seconded, to approve the issuance of the head football coaching contract for the 2011-12 school year to Gregory Dobitz. All approved, motion carried.

Looks like the Oakes School Board has turned the page and closed the topic. Good luck to both coaches, as the BB team needs to improve on an 18-5 record in order to call it a successful termination of Quenette and the FB team will need to make a play-off run without Sagert.

Anyone know of any other applicants, or was this the plan from day one? Just wondering if anyone from that area has any insight.
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wolves65 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:37 pm

Good luck to both new coaches. It is a wonder anybody would even go into coaching today. The talent pool for coaches at most schools goes as deep as who you have teaching. The time these people have to put in for no pay shows they don't do it for the money. Parents today don't seem to understand the abilities of their own kids and if a they don't succeed then it must be a coaching issue. Go watch a travel ball tournament and watch parents screaming during a 4th grade girls game and then fast forward that 5-6 years and these parents feel they have time and money invested and they want to see results. This is a bit of a rant but in this case the coach wasn't John Wooden and Oakes wasn't as good as the record. IF the case was nobody wanted to play for the guy then what choice do you have. Sounds like the board did him a favor.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:34 pm

Was the math position open prior to all of this, and what does the football coach teach? I know that several small schools throughout the state are really struggling to hire/retain math and science teachers especially at the high school level. There is a lot of pressure for schools to make sure that math and reading scores meet standards or their funding could get reduced.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bequickdonthurry » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:18 pm

wolves65 wrote:Good luck to both new coaches. It is a wonder anybody would even go into coaching today. The talent pool for coaches at most schools goes as deep as who you have teaching. The time these people have to put in for no pay shows they don't do it for the money. Parents today don't seem to understand the abilities of their own kids and if a they don't succeed then it must be a coaching issue. Go watch a travel ball tournament and watch parents screaming during a 4th grade girls game and then fast forward that 5-6 years and these parents feel they have time and money invested and they want to see results. This is a bit of a rant but in this case the coach wasn't John Wooden and Oakes wasn't as good as the record. IF the case was nobody wanted to play for the guy then what choice do you have. Sounds like the board did him a favor.

bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Girls