Beach vs. Ray 130-17

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Beach vs. Ray 130-17

Postby rekcats1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:50 pm

Most coaches watch the scores of other teams in the state. Most coaches are attentive to the line scores of teams they have on their schedule. If this coach were doing that he would of known that the Ray team is not having a good season; he would of known that they are not putting up many points. Can't believe he went into this game without an educated "game plan," that it took him 3 quarters to figure it out. This game did nothing for either team or for girls BB in general. There is more to a "great coach" than winning games......
rekcats1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:58 pm

rekcats1 wrote:Most coaches watch the scores of other teams in the state. Most coaches are attentive to the line scores of teams they have on their schedule. If this coach were doing that he would of known that the Ray team is not having a good season; he would of known that they are not putting up many points. Can't believe he went into this game without an educated "game plan," that it took him 3 quarters to figure it out. This game did nothing for either team or for girls BB in general. There is more to a "great coach" than winning games......

Took him 3 quarters to figure out? From the way he made it sound he didn't press pass the 1st quarter.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:05 pm

I don't care who is on the floor, A,B, or Z squad, you can always drop back into a soft zone D, walk the ball up the floor, and tell your players you want 10 passes before anybody takes a shot. Slow the game down. Putting up a 130 is running it up.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:09 pm

old#63 wrote:I don't care who is on the floor, A,B, or Z squad, you can always drop back into a soft zone D, walk the ball up the floor, and tell your players you want 10 passes before anybody takes a shot. Slow the game down. Putting up a 130 is running it up.

I understand your point, but I don't believe that Beach is a "sit back in a zone" kind of team. I understand that they did "run up the score" but I don't know if we should expect a team to change their style just because the other team isn't competitive. I can see both sides of the argument and respect your guys opinions on it. This is just my 2 cents.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:15 pm

I am also pretty sure that neither the Beach coach or his players had any joy in beating them so soundly. Think about what that must have been like from their perspectives as well. These girls are competitors, I am sure that beating an opponent senseless isnt a fun experience either (although I am quite sure the Ray girls enjoyed it far less.)
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballdad1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:23 pm

You do not need to put up a shoot every 30 seconds when up by 60+ at half time. I am sure that no one would of been upset if Ray would of lost by 60 or so. They are an average team this year and also have two starters out due to injury. Beach was told this before the game. Ray was competitive with them last year with this same team minus all-stater. Small town class B changes from year to year even Bob knows that. This team is very young with one senior, one junior, the rest soph & fresh, they did not deserve to get beat that bad, no one does. It could of been better if they would have just ran thru the offense a few times before the tried to score.
bballdad1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Browner » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:38 pm

Beach is on a mission...They want to win another state championship...To me it all goes back to the Athletic Directors.....

Why?
1. As an athletic director you should know what type of team you have for the upcoming season. Ray should have said we aren't going to be that competitive this year so we don't want to play you.
2. On the same token, Beach knows they have tons of talent coming back. Why would you want to put a team not as talented as you on your schedule?
3. Not sure where the game was played but lots of times when you schedule the AD's will often say we will play at your place this year but you have to come to our house next year. Or vice versa...
4.Coaches usually talk about 5 minutes before hand when teams are warming up and maybe something could have been said at this time about injuries/illness or whatever.
5. Also, maybe the coach wanted to work on a few things and anytime you get into "competitive mode" and things happen so fastly that "it just happened".

"You play to win the game"!
"Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard"!

Sure sportsmanship is important but you can't drown if you don't swim....you can't get burned if you don't play with fire.....you can't beat beat badly if you arent' prepared...and what are you supposed to do take it easy and go half speed?....No competitive coach would allow that...

It happened it's over.....live with it move on......

50% of the people are going to like what you do....50 % arent....you can't please everybody! -Charles Barkley-
"Never underestimate the power of the Schwarz"
Browner
NDPreps Starter

Postby linksman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:24 pm

I have not posted in a long time, but I will make an exception in this case. I am a former class b coach and all I have to say is disgraceful. Make all the excuses you want on this one but none of them fly. 130-17, absolutely shameful. Hope your proud of yourself coach!!
linksman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bisonguy06 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:06 pm

Baller wrote:Bob was on the Ryan Gellner show on the Fan today and talked about the game. He wishes that he would have played Ray with his B squad but Ray was a competitive team last year. This year they had their two top scorers out due to injury and illness and if he would have known that was going to happen he would have played with his B squad. He said he pressed the first 5 minutes of the 1st quarter and then went straight man to man. He said his team was on fire and just hit shots. He also said that this is the best bench he had had in his coaching carreer and just kept rotating players in the entire game. He noted that he sent his B squad to play a varisty early in the year and they scored 98 points so he has a high scoring team this year. He said that he would have loved to have called the game at half time but that is not what you do. He noted that earlier this year when he was up big, his team went into a spread offense to work on it for tight games and the opposing coach was mad at him for doing that and accused him of getting a lead and then stalling. He was asked why he didn't go into a spread and that is what he wanted people to know that either way, the opposing coach and fans would have been mad. He also said the ND absolutely needs a mercy rule so that a team that is head and shoulders above another team isn't put into that situation where if you stall, the other team is embarrassed and angry, and if you continue to play then the entire state is in an uproar over poor sportsmanship.

At first, I felt like I didn't need all the facts or the history. It's wrong to hang a 130-17 beating on a high school team. Period.

Now I still think there is A LOT Beach should have done to hold down the score of that game, but Waldal made me think of one exception... If my team is winning in a blowout and the other coach gets on my case for slowing down and running a spread offense, I'd consider running it up to 130.

I've seen this scenario many times: Winning team backs off the press and subs down, and the losing team responds by pressing full court with its starters. If I had a nickel for every time I've seen that, I'd be a rich man. If the winning team shows you the courtesy of not intentionally running up the score, don't abuse it.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballdad1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:37 pm

Bisonguy,
What losing coach would be complaining that the winning team was stalling when up by 70, big joke and a poor cop out. If in question ask the coach of losing team would you like me beating you by a 100+ or would it be ok to slow it down. There is no reason for this, don't try to make one.
bballdad1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Indy5 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:32 pm

bballdad1 wrote:Bisonguy,
What losing coach would be complaining that the winning team was stalling when up by 70, big joke and a poor cop out. If in question ask the coach of losing team would you like me beating you by a 100+ or would it be ok to slow it down. There is no reason for this, don't try to make one.

I know plenty of people who would get mad about that. They'd say, "Come on, give us a chance to score." A lot of coaches at that point would be so mad they'd look anywhere they could to get mad at the coach. They'd automatically blame the blowout on the other coach, so if they slow it down, they'd be mad, but if they run it up, they'd be mad.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bisonguy06 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:33 pm

Read above... Beach's coach says he has heard this complaint in the past, but not in the Ray game.

I am NOT defending what Beach did in the Ray game, not for one second. They blatantly ran up the score. Their starters scored over 90 points. How on earth did they play for that long???

I'm making a point that goes beyond the Ray game. Many class B coaches, when they are on the losing end of a blowout, take advantage of teams who back off and sub down. They put on a full court press and sometimes they even put starters back into the game to try to rout the JV and make the score look respectable. I have seen this many times, and I think it's wrong. Agree? Disagree?
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballdad1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:04 pm

No one would ask the other coach to let them score, the winning coach tells his players to back off and run the plays thru. The beach game in the 4th quarter, they only made 5 passes one time. That is running up the score.
bballdad1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bballdad1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:09 pm

Bisonguy,
I agree with your point of trying to make the score respectable, if you back off but win is a win even if you win by 30 instead of 50, seems like that would be a big problem if you were up by 50 and a team came back and you only won by 40.
bballdad1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Bisonguy06 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:15 pm

Well, we are talking about how coaches should handle blowouts on both sides. If we want the winning coaches to slow it down, coaches on the losing end shouldn't complain and shouldn't abuse it. It all goes together.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballdad1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:20 pm

I am talking about getting beat by 113 points. If that game was a 70 point game no one would have noticed. When I am coaching I am not bothered by the other team coming back when I know it is over, I would rather they didn' just quit. Win is a Win. Winning by 113 is wrong.
bballdad1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Indy5 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:29 pm

bballdad1 wrote:I am talking about getting beat by 113 points. If that game was a 70 point game no one would have noticed. When I am coaching I am not bothered by the other team coming back when I know it is over, I would rather they didn' just quit. Win is a Win. Winning by 113 is wrong.

Still, if you've put you JV in and they put their starters back in and go and press and start destroying your JV, do you really think thats fair to your JV?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bisonguy06 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:39 pm

bballdad1 wrote:I am talking about getting beat by 113 points. If that game was a 70 point game no one would have noticed. When I am coaching I am not bothered by the other team coming back when I know it is over, I would rather they didn' just quit. Win is a Win. Winning by 113 is wrong.

I agree and I never defended Beach. Thanks Indy, at least you follow me here. We need coaches on BOTH sides who know how to handle a blowout.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby triplebbb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:46 am

if you looked at scores this am Beach's JV put up 98 on Richardton/Taylor...pretty sure Ray's starters aren't going to press them and make the score "respectable". Ridiculous.
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bisonguy06 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:50 am

Again, totally misunderstanding my point. Forget it.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:55 am

I heard a good point on this yesterday...at half, why didn't the coaches have a discussion on how to handle this??? IE: what can each team do to make this end as quick as possible with both teams having some dignity???
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:07 am

Bisonguy06 wrote:Read above... Beach's coach says he has heard this complaint in the past, but not in the Ray game.

I am NOT defending what Beach did in the Ray game, not for one second. They blatantly ran up the score. Their starters scored over 90 points. How on earth did they play for that long???

I'm making a point that goes beyond the Ray game. Many class B coaches, when they are on the losing end of a blowout, take advantage of teams who back off and sub down. They put on a full court press and sometimes they even put starters back into the game to try to rout the JV and make the score look respectable. I have seen this many times, and I think it's wrong. Agree? Disagree?

I have always liked the philosophy that the coach on the bad end subs down first, basically concede the other team was better. Winning coach calls timeout, subs down in response...if the losing team does not sub down, team ahead still keeps a competitive rotation in.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby triplebbb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:16 am

in a normal 25-40 point game that is indeed the "unwritten rule".....if we are talking about the Beach game you have to admit any normal unwritten rules were shattered any way you look at it.
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby old#63 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:38 am

Subbing doesn't make any difference in a game like this. If Beach subs out all 5 and Ray subs out all 5, the problem isn't fixed. Beach's subs would still put up 130 if you let them run. The way you fix this is by what I said before. Drop into a soft zone D, walk the ball up the floor, and tell your team to run the offense for at least 10 passes before they look for a shot. Slow the game down. And I don't buy the argument of "that's just not the way we play basketball." There's no reason a diciplined ball team can't slow a ball game down without going into a 4 corners stall. Just run through your normal offense, but don't take the shots.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballdad1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:45 am

In the 4th quarter, Beach only made it to 5 passes once. The normal was about 2 passes. You tell me what that means. There was no attempt to slow it down.
bballdad1
NDPreps Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Girls