Region 2 Predictions

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 2 Predictions

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:09 pm

Please rank all teams...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: Region 2 Predictions

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:16 am

1. Grafton
2. Central Valley
3. Thompson
4. Dakota Prairie
5. Cavalier
6. Valley-Edinburg
7. Hatton-Northwood
8. North Border
9. Griggs County Central
10. Hillsboro
11. Fordville-Lankin-Park River
12. Larimore
13. Midway-Minto
14. MPCG
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby sport » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:17 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:1. Grafton
2. Central Valley
3. Thompson
4. Dakota Prairie
5. Cavalier
6. Valley-Edinburg
7. Hatton-Northwood
8. North Border
9. Griggs County Central
10. Hillsboro
12. Larimore
13. Midway-Minto
14. MPCG

Just interested in the love for Grafton. I know they are a well coached team, but do they have some new secret weapon. I would move CV and thompson up and slide Grafton down to # 3. I can't wait for the CV thompson matchup. I am guessing these teams will split in the regular season and end up playing for the chance to go to state.
sport
NDPreps Starter

Postby coolhandluke » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:09 pm

We'll just have to wait and see won't we? Grafton could have easily won last year, they certainly have the talent to do so. Then Thompson went on to state and almost upset the best team there last year. Neither team lost much as far as I know, and Central Valley is back with almost the same lineup also. I do agree that the top three may be correct in the poll for Region 2, but it is girls basketball and never forget there could be a major surprise in there also. Should be an interesting year. Let's just wish all the teams an injury-free and entertaining year!
coolhandluke
NDPreps Reserve

Postby old#63 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:45 pm

1.Grafton
2.Thompson
3. Central Valley
4. Dakota Prairie
5. Griggs County Central
6. Hillsboro
7. North Border
8. Hatton-Northwood
9. Fordville-Lankin-Park River
10. Valley-Edinburg
11. Cavalier
12. Larimore
13. Midway-Minto
14. MPCG

I'll take Grafton to win the region, and I'm sure lots of others will take either CV or Thompson. Anybody out there willing to pick another team as having a shot at the region title?
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:27 pm

old#63 wrote:1.Grafton
2.Thompson
3. Central Valley
4. Dakota Prairie
5. Griggs County Central
6. Hillsboro
7. North Border
8. Hatton-Northwood
9. Fordville-Lankin-Park River
10. Valley-Edinburg
11. Cavalier
12. Larimore
13. Midway-Minto
14. MPCG

I'll take Grafton to win the region, and I'm sure lots of others will take either CV or Thompson. Anybody out there willing to pick another team as having a shot at the region title?

I know I already made my pick above...but Dakota Prairie is a team that could push for that state bid
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:37 pm

2. Central Valley
3. Thompson
4. Dakota Prairie
5. Cavalier
6. Valley-Edinburg
7. Hatton-Northwood
8. North Border
9. Griggs County Central
10. Hillsboro
12. Larimore
13. Midway-Minto
14. MPCG

Interesting seeing your bottom 4 here since they have all had great programs and great runs in the not so distant past. Does it look like a rebuilding year for these teams or have their programs just fallen off that much? I know MPCG has struggled a lot the last couple years.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:51 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
2. Central Valley
3. Thompson
4. Dakota Prairie
5. Cavalier
6. Valley-Edinburg
7. Hatton-Northwood
8. North Border
9. Griggs County Central
10. Hillsboro
12. Larimore
13. Midway-Minto
14. MPCG

Interesting seeing your bottom 4 here since they have all had great programs and great runs in the not so distant past. Does it look like a rebuilding year for these teams or have their programs just fallen off that much? I know MPCG has struggled a lot the last couple years.

- MPCG is in for another LONG year in this region
- Fordville-Lankin-Park River could be anywhere between 5th and 11th.
- Larimore plays in a tough district, but they could be competitive since they didn't lose much from last years team.
- Midway-Minto is rated that low cause I'm just not sure how they'll matchup against some of the other teams in their region. They could be higher.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:13 pm

I think you could put Thompson, CV, and Grafton in a hat and pull them out to see who'd win...Thompson is so young and deep, and has maybe the best inside/outside player in the region in Sponsler on their team, Grafton is well balanced and is deep & experienced. CV has their whole team back, great atheleticsm in the Henningsgards, but lacks size. DP has 3 excellent players(Rude & Messner two of the top 7 or 8 players in the region along with Gillett) but little depth. Should be a great year.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby 4thegame » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:06 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:I think you could put Thompson, CV, and Grafton in a hat and pull them out to see who'd win...Thompson is so young and deep, and has maybe the best inside/outside player in the region in Sponsler on their team, Grafton is well balanced and is deep & experienced. CV has their whole team back, great atheleticsm in the Henningsgards, but lacks size. DP has 3 excellent players(Rude & Messner two of the top 7 or 8 players in the region along with Gillett) but little depth. Should be a great year.

7 or 8 in the region? how do you judge a players talent level?
4thegame
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:54 pm

4thegame wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:I think you could put Thompson, CV, and Grafton in a hat and pull them out to see who'd win...Thompson is so young and deep, and has maybe the best inside/outside player in the region in Sponsler on their team, Grafton is well balanced and is deep & experienced. CV has their whole team back, great atheleticsm in the Henningsgards, but lacks size. DP has 3 excellent players(Rude & Messner two of the top 7 or 8 players in the region along with Gillett) but little depth. Should be a great year.

7 or 8 in the region? how do you judge a players talent level?

Can they handle the ball? Pass? Defend? Score? Play hard? Lead? Region 2 has a lot of good players.....Sponsler, Hegg, Weber(Thompson), Jessica Henningsgard, Taylor Henningsgar(CV), Rude, Messner, Gillete(DP), Gaustad, Desautal(Grafton), Beattie, Horsely(NB), Toenies from Hillsboro, along with a few others I'm sure I've forgotten. Are Rude and Messner 1 and 2? 3 and 4? 7 and 8? Thats up for debate. How do you judge a players talent level?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby 4thegame » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:52 pm

sorry for taking so long to reply. Well i'm a deep thinker so forgive me if i go too deep for you. I will start with Offense are you a matchup nightmare????? if you shoot 3's you'd better be above 40% (being wide open doesn't mean that you should take the shot), FG's better be very close to 50% i personally put a premium for every percentage point above this (and any kid with the ball in their hands can throw up a shot), FT's need to be 70% or better (so you drew a foul, can you make them pay for it? or was it a good foul for them to commit?). now what can you do with a diamond and one or if your double teamed...do you make your opponent pay or did they completely shut you down? With Defense are you a game changer??????? do people notice you because your shutting down another teams best player or take away an aspect of the opponents offensive game plan, or are you hacking and reaching in? as far as Leading. just because you go to state doesn't mean that you are a "good leader" or that you are not. Philip Schanelic prolly wont get to state, does that mean he isn't a "good leader." I also look to see if they are leading with their hustle, is their performance causing others to raise their level of play, and do they try to build their teammates up or do they scowl at the mistakes of others. Otherwise I pull out my hoopster's each year and look back at previous years to get a feel for a player. I visit with people who are objective and watch alot of basketball, and throw out most conversations with people from a players town because either they have "rose colored glasses" or they are full of jealousy, stressing "lousy." how do others judge talent levels?
4thegame
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:20 am

4thegame wrote:sorry for taking so long to reply. Well i'm a deep thinker so forgive me if i go too deep for you. I will start with Offense are you a matchup nightmare????? if you shoot 3's you'd better be above 40% (being wide open doesn't mean that you should take the shot), FG's better be very close to 50% i personally put a premium for every percentage point above this (and any kid with the ball in their hands can throw up a shot), FT's need to be 70% or better (so you drew a foul, can you make them pay for it? or was it a good foul for them to commit?). now what can you do with a diamond and one or if your double teamed...do you make your opponent pay or did they completely shut you down? With Defense are you a game changer??????? do people notice you because your shutting down another teams best player or take away an aspect of the opponents offensive game plan, or are you hacking and reaching in? as far as Leading. just because you go to state doesn't mean that you are a "good leader" or that you are not. Philip Schanelic prolly wont get to state, does that mean he isn't a "good leader." I also look to see if they are leading with their hustle, is their performance causing others to raise their level of play, and do they try to build their teammates up or do they scowl at the mistakes of others. Otherwise I pull out my hoopster's each year and look back at previous years to get a feel for a player. I visit with people who are objective and watch alot of basketball, and throw out most conversations with people from a players town because either they have "rose colored glasses" or they are full of jealousy, stressing "lousy." how do others judge talent levels?

So you can't judge a player's talent level w/o seeing their stats?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ClassBEast » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:41 pm

Central Cass is scheduled to play both Central Valley (12/21) and Grafton (2/5) this year, so it will be interesting to see how they match up!
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 4thegame » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:39 pm

what do you mean exactly by "so you can't judge a player's talent level w/o seeing their stats?" as far as comparing player on a broader spectrum i would refer to my post on the boys side when people were debating best boys player. while there are some very good players in the region, i had to point out (by going to my hoopster) that Phil Schanelic is THE TOP RETURNER in several statistical categories (both A and B) and near the top in others. pretty clear that he's on another level.
if you are wondering about my point on shooting percentage i think that its pretty elementary really. over the years i have seen alot of "great shooters." the problem is that when i watch them they shoot at a very poor percentage, but when i kid hits 2 in a row or has 4 in a game they get the label "great shooter!!!" when in reality when all of the numbers are put together they aren't at all accurate. Michael Jordan was amazing because he was a 50% shooter from the floor.
4thegame
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:35 am

4thegame wrote:what do you mean exactly by "so you can't judge a player's talent level w/o seeing their stats?"

You make these claims that to have a high talent level you must shoot x percentage, how can you possibly know that information w/o seing a stat sheet?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby 4thegame » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:33 am

do a little research, ask questions, talk to people in the know. but again read what i wrote, i never said that i know all these numbers, i said that a player had better be at those numbers. If i'm here on preps, or talking to differnt people as i'm traveling around, and i'm reading and hearing about player Y being this great High School player, "they are so good at this and that" I wonder if they are for real. Then I go to a game or two and watch a player shoot 20 times and score 14 points then i'm pretty sure that I can make the statement "that player has more HYPE than ABILITY."
4thegame
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Girls