2010 McDonald's All-American Nominees (ND)

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2010 McDonald's All-American Nominees (ND)

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:19 am

Jordyn Bender - New England
Eli Benz - Kidder County
Stef Bohrer - Hazen
Madi Buck - Bismarck Century
Siri Burck - Fargo South
Lexi Erickson - Fordville-Lankin-Park River
Samantha Heier - Ray
Allison Opp - Hazen
Kelsey Peltier - Bottineau
Carli Peterson - Bismarck Century

What does eveyone think??

Here is the link if anyone wants to check other states (girls nominees start on page 38)
http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/2010_Nominees.pdf
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2010 McDonald's All-American Nominees (ND)

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:41 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Jordyn Bender - New England
Eli Benz - Kidder County
Stef Bohrer - Hazen
Siri Burck - Fargo South
Samantha Heier - Ray
Allison Opp - Hazen

Here is the link if anyone wants to check other states (girls nominees start on page 38)

How isn't Haily Longtin from North Border on this list?? She should be a 1st team all-stater and is as good as any player in the state this year in my opinion.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby big fan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:53 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
Eli Benz - Kidder County
Stef Bohrer - Hazen
Siri Burck - Fargo South
Samantha Heier - Ray
Allison Opp - Hazen

How isn't Haily Longtin from North Border on this list?? She should be a 1st team all-stater and is as good as any player in the state this year in my opinion.

I watched her at regionals ,wow, she was a total standout.....eveyone was talking about her where I was sitting.
big fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:11 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
Eli Benz - Kidder County
Stef Bohrer - Hazen
Siri Burck - Fargo South
Samantha Heier - Ray
Allison Opp - Hazen

Pretty impressive if you have had the opportunity to watch all of these players on this list.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby shooter » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:35 am

Hailey is TWICE the player that Lexi is, and it really isn't even close. For her to be left off that list and for Lexi to be on it ahead of her is a travesty. Lexi is a solid player and deserves recognition, but not before Hailey, and I would think the vast majority would agree!
shooter
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:43 am

scoobyx2 wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
Eli Benz - Kidder County
Stef Bohrer - Hazen
Siri Burck - Fargo South
Samantha Heier - Ray
Allison Opp - Hazen

Pretty impressive if you have had the opportunity to watch all of these players on this list.

I haven't seen everyone on the list but I have seen some...and I'd take Longin over any of them...however, I'm not going to go on here and cut down any of the girls on the list. It isn't neccassary to have seen every girl play to know that Longtin deserves on this list.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoops2007 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:20 pm

Here is a link to the rules on how the players are selected.
http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/201 ... rocess.pdf
hoops2007
NDPreps Reserve

Postby East-side » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:20 pm

shooter wrote:Hailey is TWICE the player that Lexi is, and it really isn't even close. For her to be left off that list and for Lexi to be on it ahead of her is a travesty. Lexi is a solid player and deserves recognition, but not before Hailey, and I would think the vast majority would agree!

Totally agree on that one.
East-side
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Dueces » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:33 pm

East-side wrote:
shooter wrote:Hailey is TWICE the player that Lexi is, and it really isn't even close. For her to be left off that list and for Lexi to be on it ahead of her is a travesty. Lexi is a solid player and deserves recognition, but not before Hailey, and I would think the vast majority would agree!

Totally agree on that one.

Absolutely. Had the opportunity to see her play in the regional tournament, was without a doubt the best player in the tournament.
Dueces
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Irish » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:40 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
Eli Benz - Kidder County
Stef Bohrer - Hazen
Siri Burck - Fargo South
Samantha Heier - Ray
Allison Opp - Hazen

I think all are deserving. Haily Longtin is probably not on this list because her name isn't circulated enough. I personally have never heard of her. She a scorer? Assister? rebounder? I will do some checking..
Last edited by Irish on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Irish
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:49 am

Irish wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
Eli Benz - Kidder County
Stef Bohrer - Hazen
Siri Burck - Fargo South
Samantha Heier - Ray
Allison Opp - Hazen

I think all are deserving. Haily Longtin is probably not on this list because her name isn't cerculated enough. I personally have never hear of her. She a scorer? Assister? rebounder? I will do some checking..

It could also have been a slip-up within the verification process between the school or coach and the nomination committee/person
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Irish » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:36 pm

Or she may not be as good as people think. Might be a scorer but that is it. Interested in seeing what her stats look like and how her team did.
Irish
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:23 pm

Irish wrote:Or she may not be as good as people think. Might be a scorer but that is it. Interested in seeing what her stats look like and how her team did.

She's a 5'6 combo guard...lightening fast & quick (the fast & quickest class B guard i've seen in 25+ years of watching basketball)...her team finished 2nd in district 4, 4th in region 2. I'm only guessing but I'd say she averaged 25 pts a game, not sure of assists/steals. Hands down the best player I saw this year. I'd be interested if a North Border fan could chime in here and give us some concrete stats. She's going to Mayville state next year, go and watch her play.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Dueces » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:34 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
Irish wrote:Or she may not be as good as people think. Might be a scorer but that is it. Interested in seeing what her stats look like and how her team did.

She's a 5'6 combo guard...lightening fast & quick (the fast & quickest class B guard i've seen in 25+ years of watching basketball)...her team finished 2nd in district 4, 4th in region 2. I'm only guessing but I'd say she averaged 25 pts a game, not sure of assists/steals. Hands down the best player I saw this year. I'd be interested if a North Border fan could chime in here and give us some concrete stats. She's going to Mayville state next year, go and watch her play.

I hadn't heard much about her during the year either, but had the opportunity to see the region games and all I can say is wow. For having not heard much about her at all, I'd say she was undoubtedly the best player in the region tourney. I'm not from the NB area either so I can't help in the stats department, but her performances were quite impressive. Don't knock this girl just because she hadn't received a bunch of hype, she was the real deal.
Dueces
NDPreps Reserve

Postby twinsfan10 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:10 pm

Dueces wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

I hadn't heard much about her during the year either, but had the opportunity to see the region games and all I can say is wow. For having not heard much about her at all, I'd say she was undoubtedly the best player in the region tourney. I'm not from the NB area either so I can't help in the stats department, but her performances were quite impressive. Don't knock this girl just because she hadn't received a bunch of hype, she was the real deal.

I am from the district 4 area and have been watching her play since she was in the 8th grade. She has grown to be a great player. Hailey deserves more recongition then she gets. She does things that some guys can't even do, just has a flow to the game, and is a very smart player. Some of her stats i gathered are 23 ppts, 5aap and about 4 boards , 4 stl, and Cashin in on about 70 treys this season.
twinsfan10
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Irish » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:11 am

Sounds like she is the best play to play guard in the State of North Dakota for the last 25 years. Can't wait to see her as a Miss Basketball finalist this year and see what she looks like. This will be my pre-congrats to her winning Miss Basketball. Many athletes deserve more recognition than they get but it is people like you that need to help promote them so they do get that recognition. Keep sending the word out.
Irish
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:24 am

One of the best ways (and hardest) to get recognized in Class B is to make it to the State tournament. I believe all but Heier and Bender on the list did that. Also, make sure the coach hands in the paperwork if there is any. This list isn't the All-State team or Miss Basketball candidates which are run in-state, and many times forms are sent out by people who just want names, and they may not get out to everyone.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 242 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:48 am

gosh, its not the end of the world. I saw one of North Border's games in the regional tournament, I dont know which one this Hailey girl was but I can guess. She was very fast, and quite athletic. Let me tell you she has an incredibly fast shooting release. One second she would be sprinting and the next she would be shooting a shot with her legs all twisted up and it would bounce off the rim. It was ugly. Cost her team a lot of opportunities. She did manage to score a lot though, most all from the free throw line where I think she was just about perfect. Everyone has their bad games though (shrugs) thats my two cents. not worth much.
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:11 am

Irish wrote:Sounds like she is the best play to play guard in the State of North Dakota for the last 25 years. Can't wait to see her as a Miss Basketball finalist this year and see what she looks like. This will be my pre-congrats to her winning Miss Basketball. Many athletes deserve more recognition than they get but it is people like you that need to help promote them so they do get that recognition. Keep sending the word out.

Gosh what's your problem?? She's an excellent player that didn't get much press. No one is saying she is Ms. basketball or the best the last 25 years. The only point I made was that I've seen several of the girls who made the Mcdonalds nomination and I'd take Longtin over any of them. I've watched and coached a lot of basketball the last several years and she's one of the better ones I've seen, and the best I've seen this year. You're right, many athletes do deserve more recognition, and she's one of them, but not only her. People come on this board all the time and bring up athletes that they feel are deserving of an award or should have got more press than they did. What is your problem with Longtin??
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby twinsfan10 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:11 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
Irish wrote:Sounds like she is the best play to play guard in the State of North Dakota for the last 25 years. Can't wait to see her as a Miss Basketball finalist this year and see what she looks like. This will be my pre-congrats to her winning Miss Basketball. Many athletes deserve more recognition than they get but it is people like you that need to help promote them so they do get that recognition. Keep sending the word out.

Gosh what's your problem?? She's an excellent player that didn't get much press. No one is saying she is Ms. basketball or the best the last 25 years. The only point I made was that I've seen several of the girls who made the Mcdonalds nomination and I'd take Longtin over any of them. I've watched and coached a lot of basketball the last several years and she's one of the better ones I've seen, and the best I've seen this year. You're right, many athletes do deserve more recognition, and she's one of them, but not only her. People come on this board all the time and bring up athletes that they feel are deserving of an award or should have got more press than they did. What is your problem with Longtin??

What basketabll player doesn't make mistakes? It's a part of the game and you just have to shrug them off and go on. She is a classic act player too. Not once have i seen her throw a fit, yell at the refs, or complain. She has one of the quickest releases i have seen for a girl. Some shots she takes she is forcing but her teammates aren't really looking to score. So, what is supposed to happen? it may sometimes look funny but they go in and she isn't afraid to make mistakes.
twinsfan10
NDPreps Rookie

Postby goldeneagle12 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:40 pm

A strong case can be made for all the nominees, unless you have seen all of them play every game, to see the ups and downs of there games how is it possible to say one is more deserving then the other. I have seen a lot of these girls play and it is hard to say if one should not be on the list. Longtin is a good player, but to say she is the best in 25 years is unfair to her and alot of other girls. I know that Sam Heier has some amazing stats also and has gone over 2000 points in her career so I wouldnt be leaving her off. I thinks a case can be made for each if we are using stats.
goldeneagle12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:21 pm

goldeneagle12 wrote:A strong case can be made for all the nominees, unless you have seen all of them play every game, to see the ups and downs of there games how is it possible to say one is more deserving then the other. I have seen a lot of these girls play and it is hard to say if one should not be on the list. Longtin is a good player, but to say she is the best in 25 years is unfair to her and alot of other girls. I know that Sam Heier has some amazing stats also and has gone over 2000 points in her career so I wouldnt be leaving her off. I thinks a case can be made for each if we are using stats.

No one said she's the best player in the last 25 years, unless you count Irish's flippant quote:

"Sounds like she is the best play to play guard in the State of North Dakota for the last 25 years. Can't wait to see her as a Miss Basketball finalist this year and see what she looks like. This will be my pre-congrats to her winning Miss Basketball."
All that I and some other members said what that in our opinion she should have been on the list. I stick by that. I've seen several of the other girls play, more than once, and in MY OPINION Longtin is better than them.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoyt4 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:11 am

Erickson had more girls to play with, she didnt have to do all the scoring... plus she took her team to state twice and had great numbers... Longtin put up great numbers with a mid average team... longtin was the team..
hoyt4
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:37 pm

hoyt4 wrote:Erickson had more girls to play with, she didnt have to do all the scoring... plus she took her team to state twice and had great numbers... Longtin put up great numbers with a mid average team... longtin was the team..

I think you said it all...Erickson DID have more girls to play with, hence more wins and more girls help her to the state. Longtin had to do more scoring because she didn't have the help that Erickson did. Its not a negative to either girl. Both very good players.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Return to Girls