Region 3 Tourny

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 3 Tourny

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:58 am

HMB upsets Ellendale
Linton beats Valley CIty
Napoleon beats LMM
Kidder County blows out BCN

Looks like we have the last 2 nights of the District 6 Tourny all over again. I am picking Linton to beat HMB and KC to beat Napoleon tonight.

I will also pick Napoleon over HMB for 3rd and KC over Linton for the Regional Championship.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Region 3 Tourny

Postby justafan86 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:32 pm

Sportsrube wrote:HMB upsets Ellendale
Linton beats Valley CIty
Napoleon beats LMM
Kidder County blows out BCN

Looks like we have the last 2 nights of the District 6 Tourny all over again. I am picking Linton to beat HMB and KC to beat Napoleon tonight.

I will also pick Napoleon over HMB for 3rd and KC over Linton for the Regional Championship.

any idea what the heck happened to ellendale? when i stopped listening to the game they were up by 19...was it a choke job? and what's the possibility of another upset?
justafan86
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:47 pm

I think Ellendale shot the ball well at the start and then went cold while HMB started slow and then got hot. (They are 2 pretty evenly matched teams) I also thnk that playing in their home gym may have helped HMB some too.
As far as any other possible upsets, it would take an exceptional night for anyone to beat KC. Not saying it can't be done in this tournament but it is very unlikely. I thought Linton had a shot but after the beat down KC laid on the Lions for the District championship I don't think the Lady Lions are mentally tough enough to beat KC. They should be pretty good games tonight and tomorrow and I am looking forward to watching!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 pm

justafan86 wrote:and what's the possibility of another upset?

Napoleon must have a shot at Linton after a close game in the district semis.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan7 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:52 pm

Flip wrote:

Sure they got a shot at linton but the chances of them playing arent very good Linton should be able to take care of HMB and the KC Napoleon game could get pretty interesting, napoleon is a good team and i think they can maybe keep it close with KC for a little while but I dont think they have enough to beat them.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bball4 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:52 pm

Yes...I think it is fair to say that Ellendale went cold shooting the second half. Sheets (HMB) had a good game. Very talented player. She scored somewhere around 10 points in one quarter. Home court advantage seemed to be apparent as well. Can't imagine a 2+ hour bus ride is beneficial. Credit to HMB though-- they were behind by 19 points and never gave up. They fought until the end.
bball4
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:34 pm

Tonights Kidder County/Napoleon game was very close, and exposed that without Benz on the floor KC is much weaker. Game plan should be interesting
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan7 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:48 pm

The Schwab wrote:Tonights Kidder County/Napoleon game was very close, and exposed that without Benz on the floor KC is much weaker. Game plan should be interesting

What was the score? Also, was benz in foul trouble early on or what was the reason she wasnt on the floor?
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:58 pm

Flip wrote:

I was confused I thought Nap and Linton played this evening.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:27 am

Tonight should be a fun night. I think Napoleon will beat HMB by double digits but the Championship game cuold be interesting. If Linton can stay in the game mentally they have a chance of pulling the upset but I don't think it will happen. (How's that for covering all my bases :!: )
The only thing that could hurt KC is if Benz gets in foul trouble early.
I predict KC by 9.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:18 am

The Schwab wrote:and exposed that without Benz on the floor KC is much weaker.

haha good insight...haha just playin
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:55 am

Sportsrube wrote:Tonight should be a fun night. I think Napoleon will beat HMB by double digits but the Championship game cuold be interesting. If Linton can stay in the game mentally they have a chance of pulling the upset but I don't think it will happen. (How's that for covering all my bases :!: )
The only thing that could hurt KC is if Benz gets in foul trouble early.
I predict KC by 9.

IF benz gets in foul trouble and has to sit out Linton will win, in the game last night when benz was on the bench Napoleon scored 6 points in under a minute, and should have either been down 1 or up 1 to start the 4th, instead they were down three because the missed some bunnies. It's tough to beat a good team 3 times, so I think tomorrows championship could get VERY interesting.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby justafan86 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:03 pm

bballfan7 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Tonights Kidder County/Napoleon game was very close, and exposed that without Benz on the floor KC is much weaker. Game plan should be interesting

What was the score? Also, was benz in foul trouble early on or what was the reason she wasnt on the floor?

the final was 55-48. benz picked up fouls #3 and #4 with about 2 minutes left to go in the third. napoleon scored 6 unanswered to end the quarter (and should have been more but missed several bunnies). it felt like the momentum definitely had switched and the kidder county kids seemed rattled, but (in what i thought was a ballsy move) benz came back in at the beginning of the 4th quarter and kidder county retook control of the game.
justafan86
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:02 pm

justafan86 wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:

the final was 55-48. benz picked up fouls #3 and #4 with about 2 minutes left to go in the third. napoleon scored 6 unanswered to end the quarter (and should have been more but missed several bunnies). it felt like the momentum definitely had switched and the kidder county kids seemed rattled, but (in what i thought was a ballsy move) benz came back in at the beginning of the 4th quarter and kidder county retook control of the game.

I don't think putting Benz back in was a ballsy move, I think it was more of an "holy crap, we better get her back in and stop the bleeding" move. If Napoleon had hit a couple of those bunnies it would have gotten really, really interesting in the 4th qtr. Hopefully tomorrow nights games are as fun to watch as the whole tournament has been so far.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby justafan86 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:51 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
justafan86 wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:

I don't think putting Benz back in was a ballsy move, I think it was more of an "holy crap, we better get her back in and stop the bleeding" move. If Napoleon had hit a couple of those bunnies it would have gotten really, really interesting in the 4th qtr. Hopefully tomorrow nights games are as fun to watch as the whole tournament has been so far.

yeah, i can totally understand they needed to have her in there. i just thought you've got the quarter break to settle the kids down and if they haven't after a possession or two then put her back in. in hindsight it was the right move and paid off, but had she fouled out......anything could have happened. and absolutely, it's been a very fun tournament. :-)
justafan86
NDPreps Rookie

Postby CHS09 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:04 am

I have not seen Linton play, do they press at all? Does anyone do a box and 1 on Benz , Does Linton play zone or man?
CHS09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby taveg » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:01 pm

i wouldnt expect benz to be in foul trouble tonight again if she was on tuesday. not very often do you see a star player get in foul trouble 2 games in a row, esspecially in a tournament. She knows she could have easily fouled out and their team lost that game to napoleon. That will probably be in her mind tonight and she'll play a little smarter and she wont get in foul trouble.
taveg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:46 pm

KC wins the region championship. Benz was senior athlete of the year, HMB and Ellendales coach were co coaches of the year.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Milkman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 pm

Congrats Kidder County on the repeat. And congrats to Benz on being selected senior athlete.

What was the final score?
Let’s go cut down some nets boys.

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby turnip » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:04 am

I think it was Kidder County 55 - Linton 47. I was at the game. The first half was a mess - for Kidder County. You hate to say that one player changed the outcome of a game but that's exactly what happened.

Linton's a scrappy team and fought hard. Eli was trying to pass the ball off to her teammates during the first half. She does that too much, to a fault. Her teammates weren't able to follow through. A couple of key baskets from Shaylee Martin and that was it. So, after half time, Eli came out and ran the game. It turned around in no time and KC won.
turnip
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:44 am

Congrats to KC, they will represent Region 3 very well at State. I agree that Benz was was too unselfish in the first half. (and first 3 minutes of the 2nd half) When she decided to get aggressive on both end of the floor she took over the game. She tries to get her teammates involved but she needs to be a little more sellfish against top notch teams. Also, Jasper being in foul trouble all night was a big factor for Linton. She made a couple of dumb fouls and it cost her playing time when her team needed her. I was also impressed with KC's mental toughness when they were down 10, no one panicked, they just started working harder.

Also, congrats to Coach Hermanson and Coach Bjerklie for their Co-Coach of Year awards and to Eli Benz for her Sr. Player of the Year Award. All three are well deserving of the accolades!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Girls