Senior Athlete

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Senior Athlete

Postby madmomma » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:10 am

Just wondering if it is required for all districts to follow the same guidelines for Senior Athlete. Do they go by all varsity years played or performance her senior year alone?
madmomma
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Senior Athlete

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:50 am

madmomma wrote:Just wondering if it is required for all districts to follow the same guidelines for Senior Athlete. Do they go by all varsity years played or performance her senior year alone?

This is a good question, but I would think they would/should mostly look at a player's senior year. Generally, outstanding seniors have had great careers. If they are from strong programs, they may have played behind talented seniors in the past, and don't have big career numbers or be an established leader until their senior year.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby madmomma » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:00 pm

I would like to hear an answer from NDHSAA on this, because I think guidelines should be used across the state. If no guidelines, it becomes all politics like the all state team.
madmomma
NDPreps Rookie

Postby gobison#6 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:38 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
madmomma wrote:Just wondering if it is required for all districts to follow the same guidelines for Senior Athlete. Do they go by all varsity years played or performance her senior year alone?

This is a good question, but I would think they would/should mostly look at a player's senior year. Generally, outstanding seniors have had great careers. If they are from strong programs, they may have played behind talented seniors in the past, and don't have big career numbers or be an established leader until their senior year.

But then you have to look at past seasons for some of the girls too, if the get injured or are sick for most of the season. Mariah Smith in District 2 is a prime example. She won senior athlete even though she had surgery and missed part of the season. She was the most deserving senior and that is why she won.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby madmomma » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:19 pm

Exactly, that's why I feel it should be the senior who has been consistant throughout her career and has the best stats overall. Not just all of a sudden because no one else is a scorer on her team-get the award. If that was the case, every ball player would become very selfish their senior year.
madmomma
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NDFan09 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:37 pm

There will always be a debate any time awards are voted on. I would almost guarantee that if I went around the state and picked who I thought should be the senior athlete from each of the 16 Districts, somebody else doing the same thing would disagree with AT LEAST 1/3 of them. My point is that it is not an exact science and it can't be. It's based on people's opinions. I would just hope that if you do disagree with a selection - state your reasons why you think your choice is deserving without tearing down the athlete that won.
NDFan09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby madmomma » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:30 am

If you think this is tearing down an athlete, you must really get upset over alot of other posts. And I think I did state my facts.
madmomma
NDPreps Rookie

Postby rock83 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:33 am

Each coach in the districts vote. The rule is who do you think is most deserving of senior player of the year in the district and eventually the region. You can make up all kinds of rules and the coach will still vote for the person they want to.

rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:09 am

gobison#6 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:

But then you have to look at past seasons for some of the girls too, if the get injured or are sick for most of the season. Mariah Smith in District 2 is a prime example. She won senior athlete even though she had surgery and missed part of the season. She was the most deserving senior and that is why she won.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Smith missed only 1 District game her entire season (maybe even career), then unfortunately the 2 in the District tournament when voting was already completed by the coaches. There wasn't another player in the District who could even stop her even though she was the only threat on the floor. There were no favors done there. There were other seniors who could have received the award also, but they weren't overlooked by giving the award to Smith.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDFan09 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:17 am

I never said you were tearing down anybody. I've seen it happen and I just wanted to keep this whole thing positive. There are lots of deserving choices out there. Go ahead and brag up the one(s) you like. Sorry if you thought I was singleing you out, but it was really just a general caution.
NDFan09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby madmomma » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:37 pm

rock83 wrote:Each coach in the districts vote. The rule is who do you think is most deserving of senior player of the year in the district and eventually the region. You can make up all kinds of rules and the coach will still vote for the person they want to.

That's the problems, its seems the rules change. Their should be no rules-just statistical. And as for when they say, what if there is a new coach and is unsure of previous years. Come on the statistics stay at the school with the athlete.
madmomma
NDPreps Rookie

Postby rock83 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:48 pm

you cant go on stats they mean nothing at time. Just because a person averages more points rebounds etc that doesnt mean they are more deserving or a better player. Coaches usually go on work ethic, attitude and who is more of an impact player. Stats mean very little. Someone can average 20 points and 10 rebounds and not do as much for a team as a kid that averages 10 points and 5 rebounds.

madmomma wrote:
rock83 wrote:Each coach in the districts vote. The rule is who do you think is most deserving of senior player of the year in the district and eventually the region. You can make up all kinds of rules and the coach will still vote for the person they want to.

That's the problems, its seems the rules change. Their should be no rules-just statistical. And as for when they say, what if there is a new coach and is unsure of previous years. Come on the statistics stay at the school with the athlete.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby gobison#6 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:31 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
gobison#6 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but Smith missed only 1 District game her entire season (maybe even career), then unfortunately the 2 in the District tournament when voting was already completed by the coaches. There wasn't another player in the District who could even stop her even though she was the only threat on the floor. There were no favors done there. There were other seniors who could have received the award also, but they weren't overlooked by giving the award to Smith.

probably, i didn't know haw many games she missed. I just knew she had surgery and missed some.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby 2021 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:05 am

rock83 wrote:you cant go on stats they mean nothing at time. Just because a person averages more points rebounds etc that doesnt mean they are more deserving or a better player. Coaches usually go on work ethic, attitude and who is more of an impact player. Stats mean very little. Someone can average 20 points and 10 rebounds and not do as much for a team as a kid that averages 10 points and 5 rebounds.

madmomma wrote:

Really think thats how it should have been decided in our district, because then there were two other girls who were more deserving.
NDPreps Rookie

Postby justafan86 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:58 pm

it's my understanding that this is an opinion based award chosen by the coaches from each district so i'm not sure how rules or guidelines can be instituted to regulate each coach's opinion. if you want to make it a statistical based award, i think you're asking for trouble there, too. (i'm assuming by making it statistical that we're talking about points per game because that's the sexy stat that we all look at when judging players.) if a player deems this award as the most important goal that they want to achieve, you are going to see a lot of players out for themselves as stated previously by madmomma and the team will suffer because of this selfishness. and while consistancy is an admirable thing, it's not exactly the answer either. for example, take two players who are being considered for the award. the first one has started on varsity since the 8th grade and the second one has only been on varisty since her sophomore year. The first one has been consistant and has better overall stats, but the second one is the better player even though she hasn't played varsity as long and her stats aren't as high as the first player. so who do you give the award to?

let me also just add that in an ideal world the best player would win every time, but we don't live in that world. mistakes are made all the time. if i were a player who felt like i deserved the award and it was given to someone else, i would be seriously ticked off. it would drive me to work harder to prove the "critics" wrong and when i did, it would be immensely satisfying.

great topic, madmomma. :-)
justafan86
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BB11 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:10 pm

Talking to - and knowing a lot of coaches in my area - They know who the best player is in the district - and I will go out on a limb and say 99.9% of the time they get it right. If they don't choose a kid who the avg. fan thinks should get it - then there is a reason. Either the kid is a poor teammate, selfish, bad attitude - or they just aren't better than the player the coaches choose. I know its a hard pill for some of us to swallow, but usually the coaches know more about the players in their district than us fans do.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby scramblinfran » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:54 pm

Does anyone have a listing of all the players that won their District Senior Athlete award? Just curious.

District 9 - Allison Schick
District 10 - Crystal Dammen
scramblinfran
NDPreps Starter

Postby nodakclassbfan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:22 pm

scramblinfran wrote:Does anyone have a listing of all the players that won their District Senior Athlete award? Just curious.

District 9 - Allison Schick
District 10 - Crystal Dammen

District 7- Laura Lies of NR-S
nodakclassbfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby justafan86 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:38 pm

District 5 - Carly Van Bruggen, L-M-M
District 6- Eli Benz, Kidder County
justafan86
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:41 pm

District 2 - Mariah Smith, Maple Valley
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby sportslover77 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:09 pm

District 4 - Lexi Erickson, Fordville-Lankin Park River
District 3 - Taylor Broyles, Thompson
District 8 - Heather Carlson and Amber Volanti, Rolla Rock Lake
sportslover77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby goldeneagle12 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:14 pm

District 16: Samantha Heier
goldeneagle12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby goldeneagle12 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:15 pm

District 16 : Samantha Heier, Ray
goldeneagle12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby super10 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:12 pm

District 4 Lexi Erickson- Fordville Lankin Park River and Hailey Longtin- North Border
super10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Who won in District 1?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Girls