District 5 Tourney

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: District 5 Tourney

Postby bball4 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:06 pm

Games post poned until Monday due to weather....
In response to bvallfan06's previous post...the score to the Lisbon vs. Ellendale game was not a 30 point game. If I remember correctly, it was quite a bit closer than that throughout the game- and even at the end. Was it Ellendale's worst game of the year? Possibly- but it is evident that looking at the scores of games doesn't always tell the story of whether a team is good or bad. I have been at games that were within 4 and ended up more than a 15 point difference (within the last 2 minutes of "stopping the clock" fouling). Just a thought.

As far as the Linton game-- they are a contender of a different kind (along with a few others in that district). They have all the potential to get to state (& have certainly earned it). They only lost to ( the defending state champs) Kidder County Pirates by 2 pts. and Kidder County has also been rated in state the entire year. Napoleon is also a very strong opponent in that district. Coach Lehr certainly utilizes their abilities with their rabid dog press. Now-- because that district does as well as they do, it isn't really fair to say another team is bad because they haven't necessarily competed the same way.

As far as the comment regarding Valley City's record and being the #3 seed...did they keep any of their Class A opponents? Perhaps their coach did a good job of researching his District opponents and made adjustments within in his team to defeat 5 teams to obtain that seed.

The teams in District 5 match up pretty well. It is a fair argument that there were 4-5 of those teams that could have made the championship game. The Cardinals have faced obstacles such as losing a returning district team player to a knee injury-- which has to drasitcally change the way the ball moves. With that being said, they have done well making adjustments. Reading the scoring of the team in the last 10 games, I think all 5 of their starters have been high scorer at one time or another. That seems like it could be a little tougher to defend.
Then you have the 3 time defending district 5 champs. Coach Handt brings so much experience to that tournament that most programs in the district would admit they prefer not to play the LMM Rebels in the championship. They find ways to get it done. Should be a good game on Monday night.
bball4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:15 am

bball4 wrote:As far as the comment regarding Valley City's record and being the #3 seed...did they keep any of their Class A opponents?

No.

Perhaps their coach did a good job of researching his District opponents and made adjustments within in his team to defeat 5 teams to obtain that seed.

No, I'm pretty sure it is because district 5 is bad.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bball4 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:07 am

OK....you are certainly entitled to your opinion no matter how negative it may be.
Just a few random facts for you right off the top of my head:
Three of Valley City's opponents are rated in the top ten in the state (Central Cass, Carrington & FSHP). Four more are at the top (1 or 2) of their own districts (LMM, Ellendale, North Sargent & Oak Grove). Now-- that tallies for 7 losses. I didn't take the time to look up the other losses- but I think those 7 are somewhat justifiable.

LMM losses: FSHP, Kidder Co., Linton, Ellendale, Northerns Cass
Ellendale: Linton, Napoleon twice & Lisbon

The top 2 seeds in District 5 have loss to similar teams (obviously with the exception of Lisbon). I just don't see how it is fair to classify an entire district as BAD. There has to be something GOOD in every single team.
bball4
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:31 am

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have noticed that the "haters" usually show up when another school is about to accomplish something that their particular school is not. Nothing anyone will say about the quality of District 5 can detract from the LMM or Ellendale girls winning the district championship tonight. It will be a momentous occassion for either squad and they will have deserved it. Try to take away from it all you need to to make yourself feel better, but it simply will not work.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby bball4 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:48 am

Totally agree EHS1998. I think it was even for my own satisfaction to point out that VCHS's program deserves respect- just like the rest of the teams in District 5. Records don't define a team. Should be a good 'ship game tonight. Looking forward to 2 well matched up teams battling.
bball4
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:32 pm

EHS1998 wrote:Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have noticed that the "haters" usually show up when another school is about to accomplish something that their particular school is not.

Based on how the season has played I think it is fair to say district 5 is a below average district, you can call it "hating", but I think it is pretty factual. You're right my school will not win a district title this year or play for one or even a regional spot for that matter.

Nothing anyone will say about the quality of District 5 can detract from the LMM or Ellendale girls winning the district championship tonight.

You're correct. In five years no one will remember that the district was down, but LMM or Ellendale will still have a district championship trophy in their trophy case and a banner in their gym.

Try to take away from it all you need to to make yourself feel better, but it simply will not work.

I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:53 pm

I stand corrected on the final point then.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby bball4 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:59 pm

No argument that District 5 isn't as tough as they have clearly been in the past. I played in this district years ago-- and I remember the Gackle Streeter (Groth, Zundel, etc.), LaMoure (Arndt, Shockman, Miekeljohn), Ellendale (Glynns) & LMM (Cuypers, Brown,etc.) tough teams. It is clearly less stacked with that kind of talent-- however, talent still exists.
The girls that play in that tournament read the posts on this site...after a year of working hard & putting all their effort into the game, probably doesn't feel great to be called BAD (I appreciate that you changed your classification to "below average").

I agree with you- no one will remember that the district was "down"-- but the trophy will be there regardless.
bball4
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:11 am

Congrats Ellendale Cardinals! District 5 Girls Champions!
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Girls