what happened to junk defenses?

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

what happened to junk defenses?

Postby vballfan06 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:00 pm

You don't see alot of teams playing a junk defense anymore. (box and one, diamond and one, triangle and two, etc). Why do you think that is?
I wish I would see more teams/coaches think outside the box and place pressure on different players. It seems like it's more common to see a weak team sit back in a 2-3 and hope and pray that the better team doesn't shoot well from the perimeter.
Obviously if you match up well with an opponent is makes more sense to play man-to-man. However, we see alot of teams in class B basketball with one great scorer or one great ball handler.

What do you guys think?
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Re: what happened to junk defenses?

Postby GBBFan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:29 pm

vballfan06 wrote:You don't see alot of teams playing a junk defense anymore. (box and one, diamond and one, triangle and two, etc). Why do you think that is?
I wish I would see more teams/coaches think outside the box and place pressure on different players. It seems like it's more common to see a weak team sit back in a 2-3 and hope and pray that the better team doesn't shoot well from the perimeter.
Obviously if you match up well with an opponent is makes more sense to play man-to-man. However, we see alot of teams in class B basketball with one great scorer or one great ball handler.

What do you guys think?

I agree with you 110% You want to see some exciting defense go watch a Hazen GBB game they are relentless - I think there are too many coaches out there that want to choreograph a game and only run their plays very little variance in the plays and defense coaches are running!
GBBFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby espnjunkie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:30 pm

I agree with both of your posts. So many coaches, especially in Girls BB, "choreograph" as stated above. It's all about X's and O's and this forces a lot of teams to be pretty one dimensional. The truth is (and I know I'll get some push back here) is that girls, as a rule, just aren't as equipped to adapt and adjust to different game situations. This might be why there is a lot more play by play (by play......by play.....)coaching in Girls BB...they simply need it. A team is lucky to have 1 or 2 solid, smart players capable of running/seeing the floor. And when you have a team that has 4 or 5+ players that are capable...then you end up with a team like Hazen....legit state tournament contenders. A good coach will (try) to teach players how to get out of certain situations (or get into them) by figuring it out for themselves in a real game situation and not try to force them to learn a play for every possible situation (not saying it's possible for all players to learn). When the play book get too thick it's too much and frankly not that fun to play in or watch a game that is so contolled. I'm not dissing girls BB AT ALL and there are a lot of great players/teams/coaches in class b girls that do not fit this mold...unfortunately though there are a lot that do.
espnjunkie
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:39 pm

I believe you don't see junk defenses as much due to the fact many teams are well rounded. You do still see it occasionally. I think you see the box and one more often than what a guy thinks. It's not very often than a team has one player so dominant while the rest are so weak that you throw junk at them. I am from the 80's and back then you would see these defenses used when another team had that 6'7 or 6'8 player. Back then in class b that was huge. You don't see those true "big men" anymore. Many athletic players ranging from 6'1 to 6'3 that all play guard. You don't need to chase or diamond when you have players shooting from 19 feet away versus that big horse that will score at will if they get the ball at the block. Thats my opinion, as I am sure there are other reasons as well.
bigpoppakdog

Return to Girls