Bottineau's Kelsey Peltier verbals NDSU

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Bottineau's Kelsey Peltier verbals NDSU

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:25 pm

bbfan65 wrote:I find it hard to believe that NDSU wouldn't recruit a girl from ND if they were good enough to play. Seems a bit of a stretch considering Coach Ruley made her living with ND girls on her teams. UND does have ND talent but they would get hammered by SDSU. Check out the UND roster in a few years it will have fewer ND girls than it does now. Look how the roster changed at NDSU on the FB. Last year they targeted 3-4 kids from ND. Having D1 teams in ND will generate more chances for the top players each year to stay closer to home and not go the New Mexico and Denver Univ. down the road.

It is definitely hard to believe but true. Ruley really put NDSU on the map by winning D2 titles on the backs of great ND players. She didn't necessarily go after only ND players, but she did always go after the Miss Basketball winners and repeat all-staters, then she really turned her back on the state, and the new coach followed. Peltier is the first ND player to sign with NDSU in over 7 years!
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bbfan65 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:57 am

Scooby, your number are a little off. The Dahlen twins are from Fargo and when a girls lives 35 miles from Fargo and lives on the Minn. side of the boarder that is local. You also had some ND girls transfer back from other schools, dont' know her name but the big girls from Enderlin was one of them. Maybe you should send the new Bison coach a map to Bismarck/Mandan so she will recruit the western part of the state.
bbfan65
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Eminence » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:14 am

bbfan65 wrote: The Dahlen twins are from Fargo and when a girls lives 35 miles from Fargo and lives on the Minn. side of the boarder that is local. Maybe you should send the new Bison coach a map to Bismarck/Mandan so she will recruit the western part of the state.

Still not North Dakota. Sorry but it doesn't count. I think Scooby is actually from the eastern part of the state and is very active on the Class B site. Scooby's is just voicing what alot of North Dakotans feel. North Dakota athletes were their "bread and butter' and when NDSU stopped recruiting our athletes, they no longer were winning championships.

Alot of ND fans are proud of our state athletes and we follow both east and west players. You must be from out of state because you don't understand ND Pride! Our players can compete and if NDSU doesn't understand that, maybe they should be a Minnesota State University.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:54 pm

bbfan65 wrote:Scooby, your number are a little off. The Dahlen twins are from Fargo and when a girls lives 35 miles from Fargo and lives on the Minn. side of the boarder that is local. You also had some ND girls transfer back from other schools, dont' know her name but the big girls from Enderlin was one of them. Maybe you should send the new Bison coach a map to Bismarck/Mandan so she will recruit the western part of the state.

Not too far off...the Dahlen twins from Fargo North joined NDSU in 2003 and Peltier will be in with the 2010 class (7 years). I guess I should have stated she is the first ND freshman recruit in 7 years. Jeff Kolpack of the Fargo Forum actually reported the story on July 6th. As far as the Bismarck-Mandan area goes...if you are a fan of ND High Schools girls basketball at all, you have to very respectful of the teams out west even if you are from the east. The championship over the last 7 years (maybe even longer-not sure who beat Mandan before they started their 6 year streak) of Class A has gone to a Bismarck or Mandan team, and Bottineau and Kidder County have taken the Class B championship over the last 3 years. All these teams are considered west teams.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:31 pm

Eminence wrote:North Dakota athletes were their "bread and butter' and when NDSU stopped recruiting our athletes, they no longer were winning championships.

Really? Last NCAA title was 95-96, last NCC title was 96-97.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bbfan65 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:11 pm

Time to move on because this will go on forever.
bbfan65
NDPreps Reserve

Postby UND9296 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:28 am

bbfan65 wrote:I find it hard to believe that NDSU wouldn't recruit a girl from ND if they were good enough to play. Seems a bit of a stretch considering Coach Ruley made her living with ND girls on her teams. UND does have ND talent but they would get hammered by SDSU. Check out the UND roster in a few years it will have fewer ND girls than it does now. Look how the roster changed at NDSU on the FB. Last year they targeted 3-4 kids from ND. Having D1 teams in ND will generate more chances for the top players each year to stay closer to home and not go the New Mexico and Denver Univ. down the road.

I think that as long as Roebuck is at UND (and granted that may not be all that many more years given his age), UND will continue to recruit North Dakota pretty hard. Although this year's roster hasn't been released yet, I believe there will be either nine or ten North Dakotans on the roster, and as far as I know only two will be walk-ons. Depending upon recovery from injuries, UND will probably start three North Dakotans (Ledger, Bergan and Seay), and at least two others will be part of the regular rotation (Privatsky and LaFrance). Of course, Ledger, Bergan and Seay are all seniors, so chances are that the overall number of North Dakotans will go down a little after this year, but I doubt it will ever get to the point where NDSU has been in recent years in terms of having practically none.

By way of comparison, SDSU has nine South Dakotans on their roster. I don't know exactly how ND and SD compare in terms of producting college basketball prospects on the girls side, but it seems reasonable to expect that there should be at least half as many North Dakotans on the roster at UND and NDSU as there are South Dakotans on the SDSU roster.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:19 pm

Good point. We do have very good athletes that can compete. ECI, Fargo South, and Mandan travels to tournaments outside our state and do very well. It is reasonable to expect ND athletes to be competing for our Universities.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDFAN100 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:55 pm

Can't wait to see her play with no help, as this should really show her true talents.
NDFAN100
NDPreps Starter

Postby Dunseith_Runners » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:25 pm

Kelsey will be just fine. She can do all the little things well.
Dunseith_Runners
NDPreps Starter

Postby Stallng » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:43 am

I dont think she will do all that great. D1 is fast and tough. Shes fast but dont have the toughness to last on that level.
Stallng
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sport » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:34 am

Did Kelsey Peltier red shirt? Looking at the box scores of the Moorhead Dragons and the Bison scrimmage, I did not see her name listed. I did see Maggie Evenson, former Hillsboro stand out, got some playing time for the Dragons.
sport
NDPreps Starter

Postby Irish » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:44 am

She is a senior is high school
Irish
NDPreps Starter

Postby toddjames » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:32 pm

Stallng wrote:I dont think she will do all that great. D1 is fast and tough. Shes fast but dont have the toughness to last on that level.

That's the great thing about college ball, you usually get that redshirt year to improve on your physicality. You just need to bring the skill and determination and the program will make you stronger and faster....
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby blindside2 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:25 pm

Watched the Bottineau-Grafton game today. Grafton won in overtime by 2 but there was a 5'3" sophomore from Grafton, #10 I think that did a great job of shutting down Kelsey.
blindside2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby toddjames » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:37 am

blindside2 wrote:Watched the Bottineau-Grafton game today. Grafton won in overtime by 2 but there was a 5'3" sophomore from Grafton, #10 I think that did a great job of shutting down Kelsey.

Grafton is extremely athletic ... at least from what I seen earlier in the year
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby mplsfan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:54 am

Didn't Kelsey have 24 points? How is that defined as "shutting down"?
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDFAN100 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:21 am

Can't wait to see what happens to her next Thursday when they have to play Kenmare that is at full strength finally.
NDFAN100
NDPreps Starter

Postby blindside2 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:07 pm

mplsfan wrote:Didn't Kelsey have 24 points? How is that defined as "shutting down"?

I guess what I should have said is that in the fourth qtr and overtime Grafton's #10 totally shut her down. I think Kelsey scored two points in the fourth and nothing in overtime. :D
blindside2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mplsfan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:45 pm

blindside2 wrote:
mplsfan wrote:Didn't Kelsey have 24 points? How is that defined as "shutting down"?

I guess what I should have said is that in the fourth qtr and overtime Grafton's #10 totally shut her down. I think Kelsey scored two points in the fourth and nothing in overtime. :D

Gottcha!
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:10 pm

I saw Kelsey practice last week. She was the smallest girl on the team, looked like she had never lifted a weight in her life. IMO she has the speed and quickness to play at that level. She didn't look for her shot much in drills, but you could tell the coaching staff made sure she was getting plenty of reps. Who knows she might be ready to take over for Birkel when she graduates in two years.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Nodak Guy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:51 pm

Flip wrote:I saw Kelsey practice last week. She was the smallest girl on the team, looked like she had never lifted a weight in her life. IMO she has the speed and quickness to play at that level. She didn't look for her shot much in drills, but you could tell the coaching staff made sure she was getting plenty of reps. Who knows she might be ready to take over for Birkel when she graduates in two years.

It's good to see a ND girl on the team, but I don't think she'll last at NDSU. I remember watching her play last year, and she didn't stick out in any of the games like a D1 college recruit should. Just my opinion.
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:45 pm

Nodak Guy wrote:
Flip wrote:I saw Kelsey practice last week. She was the smallest girl on the team, looked like she had never lifted a weight in her life. IMO she has the speed and quickness to play at that level. She didn't look for her shot much in drills, but you could tell the coaching staff made sure she was getting plenty of reps. Who knows she might be ready to take over for Birkel when she graduates in two years.

It's good to see a ND girl on the team, but I don't think she'll last at NDSU. I remember watching her play last year, and she didn't stick out in any of the games like a D1 college recruit should. Just my opinion.

She's not the only ND girl on NDSU's team...Sam Lako (Northern Cass) made it as a walk-on
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:36 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Nodak Guy wrote:

She's not the only ND girl on NDSU's team...Sam Lako (Northern Cass) made it as a walk-on

Congratulations to her! From what I understand, she continued to work hard throughout the summer and caught the eye of some people on campus who encouraged her to try-out. A few out-of-state prospects fell through, and she earned a spot on the team. She is an outstanding example for many young girls in our state. I hope she does well.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sport » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:01 am

congratulations to Sam Lako. She was always fun to watch in High School, what a bundle of energy. She will definately give the starting guards from NDSU a work out everyday. She has always been a hard worker and I hate to say it, but she was fun to watch, just not against your home team. Hope she gets some playing time in the future.
sport
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls