KIDS WHO DON'T WORK HARD, AND THE PARENT'S THAT EXPECT PT

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

KIDS WHO DON'T WORK HARD, AND THE PARENT'S THAT EXPECT PT

Postby 4thegame » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:31 pm

somebody mentioned this outta the Sand topic so i thought i'd start it. This really applies to both boys and girls. Other than jealousy, this has to be the hardest on a coach and team......your thoughts..
4thegame
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: KIDS WHO DON'T WORK HARD, AND THE PARENT'S THAT EXPECT PT

Postby balla45 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:59 am

Kid who don't work hard with parents who expect playing time....My thoughts....These are the type of people that screw up high school athletics.

If you are a talented player, you probably don't have to work very hard, but if you are like the other 90% of us, if you don't work hard and don't play, it is your fault.

Anyone can be a good shooter if they work at it. Anyone can be a solid defender. A good ball handler, etc. It is all about work ethic.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby kaybee94 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:47 am

This has become a societal thing that is rampant across the country. The term "instant gratification" Parents want everything for their kids, and they believe they are entitled to it even without putting in the time. Mike and Mike in the morning were discussing this very issue the other day. How parents set their kids up for failure as adults by not allowing them to fail as children. Medals and trophys for everyone, mercy rules, etc....... I find it very interesting that Dr.Benjamin Spock talked about "spoiling the child, sparing the rod" back in the 60's and 70's. Become a friend to our children. In recent years, even he has admitted that this was wrong. That philosophy became so engrained in our society, that the kids today have become unaccustomed to losing. In fact, it isn't an option anymore. Everyone should play because that is what makes kids "feel good" and we don't want to hurt little Johnny or Susie's feelings. I agree that this philosophy has become the downfall of high school athletics, especially in basketball. Just my two cents.
kaybee94
NDPreps Reserve

Postby KyleJRM » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:50 pm

I think it's more that the kid and parents have summer league teams (read, coaches who get a big paycheck if you sign on to the team) telling them how great they are, and they believe it.
KyleJRM
NDPreps Starter

Postby underdog » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:52 am

Kaybee, that is a great post, I agree 100%. Kid's need to learn that in almost everything they are going to come up against in life, they are going to fail. Wether it be in sports, a job, school, a relationship. Who's going to bail them out then when they fail as adults. A great percentage of the time, you are not going to get your way!

We used to have "play day" the last day of school. You got a ribbon if you placed 1-6 in any of the events. If Johnny long jumped 16ft, and Ben only 13, Johnny got the first place ribbon, now every kid gets a participation ribbon because you can't hurt anyones feelings. What would be any motivation to even try if that's all you were going to get?

There are even kid's now days that get graded on a different scale in school because that cant get as good of marks as the next kid. It really tears me when you see the honor roll in the paper and you have two names side by side and one student can get 4% points less and still get the same letter grade. And it all comes down to some parent getting all bent out of shape because their kid either is'nt talented or smart enough or DOES"NT TRY OR GIVE A RATT"S. One word.....Jealousy.
underdog
NDPreps Starter

Postby kaybee94 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:16 pm

The other thing is the kids aren't to blame. this philosophical mindset has been, and is being engrained in them by not only parents, but I know of situations involving grandparents. It has gotten out of control. You know it is bad when 70 year old men and women are adding fuel to the fire. This is proof that this has become a societal epidemic that now transcends generations. It has become an acceptable part of society. It is a sad,sad situation.
kaybee94
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Girls