Girls College Opportunities

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Girls College Opportunities

Postby balla45 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:26 pm

bestinthewest wrote:Florida, USC, and UCLA are not top D1 schools for women's basketball. this is only one team.
there are many players who did not go to top schools. im not trying to be an man. i'm just trying to convince people that a girl from ND could possibly make a WNBA roster if given the chance at a D1 school. not even a top D1 school.

balla45 wrote:
bestinthewest wrote:
Eminence wrote:In college a 6'1" girls would be comparable to a 6'8" boy. A tall girl is 6'3" - 6'5" as compared to a 6'10" to a 7 foot boy which would be considered tall but average size for a post in a higher D-1 college.

Height means more in women's basketball than men's basketball because of the leaping ability. Men's verticles are so much higher that it offsets height. You could be 4 inches shorter but add the leaping ability and the player would sky over a taller post. For women, if you are 5'9" and going up against a 6'5" player, you have to out jump her by 8 inches. Probably not going to happen. Where on the boys side, Spud Web could dunk.

Shaunna Knife went to a D-2 school so whether she had or has the ability is a minute point. The one to watch at the d-1 level is her teammate KP. Both would have options of playing overseas but WNBA is tough to crack. You really have to be one of the top players in a top D-1 school.

do you know anything about the WNBA? you don't NEED to be one of the top players from a Top D1 school to make it. watch a game once and then tell me how many were from the top D1 schools.

6 Shannon Bobbitt G 5-2 130 12/06/1985 Tennessee 1
24 Marie Ferdinand-Harris G 5-9 153 10/13/1978 LSU 7
10 Kristi Harrower G 5-4 139 03/04/1975 Australia 6
55 Vanessa Hayden C 6-4 240 06/05/1982 Florida 4
22 Betty Lennox G 5-8 143 12/04/1976 Louisiana Tech 9
9 Lisa Leslie C 6-5 170 07/07/1972 USC 11
8 DeLisha Milton-Jones F 6-1 185 09/11/1974 Florida 10
3 Candace Parker F 6-4 175 04/19/1986 Tennessee 1
45 Noelle Quinn G 6-0 175 01/03/1985 UCLA 2
32 Tina Thompson F 6-2 178 02/10/1975 USC 12
14 Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton F 6-2 186 05/26/1986 Purdue R

All of these players are from a top D1 school or overseas. Hmm...

You are only thinking of now. When Lisa Leslie played, USC was a top Division 1 team. UCLA is a top D1 team, makes the tournament seemingly every year anyway. And again, Milton-Jones played at Florida 10 years ago, when it was a top Division 1 team. It might have dropped off, but if you are trying to say that when Milton-Jones or Leslie played, their schools were not top teams, you are very mistaken.

Leslie at USC "During her college career, USC compiled an impressive 89–31 record. They won one PAC-10 conference championship and earned four NCAA tournament appearances. Leslie was honored with All PAC-10 recognition all four years, as well as becoming the first player in PAC-10 history to obtain first team all four years and earn the prestigious Rookie of the Year award in 1991."

Milton-Jones at Florida "Milton-Jones attended the University of Florida and was a letterman in basketball. In basketball, she led her team to four NCAA Tournament appearances. As a senior, she was named an All-America honoree by Associated Press, Kodak, and the Basketball Times as well as SEC player of the year."

Noelle Quinn at UCLA "http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/quinn_noelle00.html"

These are all top teams.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Eminence » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:04 am

My point exactly... WNBA is no joke. There are so few of teams that they can select only the best of the best!

I would not sell any girl short who has a dream to get there.

ND doesn't have the history or recognition to go to a large D-1 school but it doesn't mean it's not possible. There are many routes a girl could make it. Look at the name Kelpenski made for herself in Alaska. Now she is playing overseas. If she has success, she may get a WNBA look.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:04 am

Angie Welle had the opportunity to play in the WNBA and struggled to make a roster. Arguably one of the best to come out of ND. Would have been interesting if the WNBA would have been around in the days of Shelly Hughes and the Carriers.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Girls