Girls College Opportunities

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Girls College Opportunities

Postby sekasum » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:22 am

Isn't it amazing how many more ND girls get college offers than the boys? Your thoughts as to why? I think the girls work harder and show so much more heart and determination than the guys do. Take the State Tourneys. The girls B was more enjoyable to watch than the boys. Sorry but just my thoughts.
sekasum
NDPreps Starter

Re: Girls College Opportunities

Postby balla45 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:27 pm

I actually don't think that many more girls get college offers than boys. It also helps that any girl over 6'1'' can play at almost any school in ND, and one with skills will play division 1 basketball.

A 6'1'' girl is pretty much equal to a 6'7'' guy. There are a lot more 6'1'' girls than 6'7'' guys running around in ND.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby sekasum » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:52 pm

Partley true but check out the college rosters for men and women. You will find more girls getting the opportunity than boys. I don't hear the boys complaining though. I think it speaks to the lack of boys talent in our state and probably to the woeful job college men's coaches do as well.
sekasum
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:57 pm

sekasum wrote:Partley true but check out the college rosters for men and women. You will find more girls getting the opportunity than boys. I don't hear the boys complaining though. I think it speaks to the lack of boys talent in our state and probably to the woeful job college men's coaches do as well.

Are we just talking strictly basketball here...cause there are quite a few guys that make football rosters who were also decent basketball players.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sekasum » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:36 pm

yes and some ladies choose to play volleyball.
sekasum
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:33 pm

Wow. Just because the 2009 class had a lot of very good female basketball players and few very good male basketball players, you seem to feel that ND female basketball players are better than their male counterparts. Next year, Kielpinski, Savageau, Schriener, Randall, etc., are just as good if not better than Buck, Peterson, Burck, etc.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:54 pm

balla45 wrote:Wow. Just because the 2009 class had a lot of very good female basketball players and few very good male basketball players, you seem to feel that ND female basketball players are better than their male counterparts. Next year, Kielpinski, Savageau, Schriener, Randall, etc., are just as good if not better than Buck, Peterson, Burck, etc.

ect. Better Then Mouer
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:37 pm

ndsportsfan14 wrote:
balla45 wrote:Wow. Just because the 2009 class had a lot of very good female basketball players and few very good male basketball players, you seem to feel that ND female basketball players are better than their male counterparts. Next year, Kielpinski, Savageau, Schriener, Randall, etc., are just as good if not better than Buck, Peterson, Burck, etc.

ect. Better Then Mouer

What?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby bestinthewest » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:43 pm

I dont know why everyone thinks that only tall girls can play D1. there are so many players under 6 feet that play D1, not to mention the WNBA. and they are succesful too. does anyone have any doubt that someone like Shaunna Long can't play D1? height doesnt always matter. its all in your game.
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:03 pm

bestinthewest wrote:I dont know why everyone thinks that only tall girls can play D1. there are so many players under 6 feet that play D1, not to mention the WNBA. and they are succesful too. does anyone have any doubt that someone like Shaunna Long can't play D1? height doesnt always matter. its all in your game.

I haven't seen her play enough so I have no idea. I was stating that it is relatively easy for a 6'1'' girl to play Division 1 basketball, compared to a 6'1'' boy.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Eminence » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:15 pm

In college a 6'1" girls would be comparable to a 6'8" boy. A tall girl is 6'3" - 6'5" as compared to a 6'10" to a 7 foot boy which would be considered tall but average size for a post in a higher D-1 college.

Height means more in women's basketball than men's basketball because of the leaping ability. Men's verticles are so much higher that it offsets height. You could be 4 inches shorter but add the leaping ability and the player would sky over a taller post. For women, if you are 5'9" and going up against a 6'5" player, you have to out jump her by 8 inches. Probably not going to happen. Where on the boys side, Spud Web could dunk.

Shaunna Knife went to a D-2 school so whether she had or has the ability is a minute point. The one to watch at the d-1 level is her teammate KP. Both would have options of playing overseas but WNBA is tough to crack. You really have to be one of the top players in a top D-1 school.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:33 pm

Eminence wrote:In college a 6'1" girls would be comparable to a 6'8" boy. A tall girl is 6'3" - 6'5" as compared to a 6'10" to a 7 foot boy which would be considered tall but average size for a post in a higher D-1 college.

Height means more in women's basketball than men's basketball because of the leaping ability. Men's verticles are so much higher that it offsets height. You could be 4 inches shorter but add the leaping ability and the player would sky over a taller post. For women, if you are 5'9" and going up against a 6'5" player, you have to out jump her by 8 inches. Probably not going to happen. Where on the boys side, Spud Web could dunk.

Shaunna Knife went to a D-2 school so whether she had or has the ability is a minute point. The one to watch at the d-1 level is her teammate KP. Both would have options of playing overseas but WNBA is tough to crack. You really have to be one of the top players in a top D-1 school.

I think the earlier reference was to Shaunna Long (from Standing Rock, I think) on whether she could play D-1. It all depends on which D-1 school we are talking about. But I do agree with you on the height comparision in both men's and women's basketball. Height is a bigger factor in women's basketball especially at the post postions.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:37 pm

My bad..... Shaunna Long, I only heard about her because of her scoring in the state tournament else never heard of her..... Any info?
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:43 am

Shaunna Long isn't much shorter than Jossy Bergan is she?
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:18 pm

I found this in an article for the Class B All-State. "5-3 Shauna Long of Standing Rock" At 5-3 she would need to be super quick. The problem she will have at the college level is that a taller guard will post her up or shoot over her on the perimeter. She will need to work on quickness for her to have a chance even at a JUCO or a NAIA level.

Larger D-1 schools would have a point guard at least 5-7. I think Tennessee had a really small guard with Candace Parker and won it. However, as quick as she was, she struggled on her passes and getting a shot off. Most of the time they had to use the off guard. She was super quick and fun to watch.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bestinthewest » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:23 pm

tennessee had shannon bobitt who is listed at 5' 2" and started some games as a rookiein the WNBA last year. she was lightning fast in college. her quickness wasn't the only reason she was good, she got plenty of open shots and was a good shooter. and you dont start at PG on 2 national champion teams for tennessee and "struggle with your passes". you can't really use that tennessee team as an example to compare to ND players. 4 of the 5 starters went in the top 16 of the draft that year and 2 were all-stars by their 2nd year.

but anyway shaunna long is an amazing raw talent that with the right coaching at a higher level would be an ubelievable passer and lights out shooter in college. some of her passes in the region and district tournaments last year made the opposing fans cheer in amazement. i wont even mention the 44 points against hazen. all im saying is given the chance....its incredible what can be accomplished.
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Postby bestinthewest » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:28 pm

Eminence wrote:In college a 6'1" girls would be comparable to a 6'8" boy. A tall girl is 6'3" - 6'5" as compared to a 6'10" to a 7 foot boy which would be considered tall but average size for a post in a higher D-1 college.

do you know anything about the WNBA? you don't NEED to be one of the top players from a Top D1 school to make it. watch a game once and then tell me how many were from the top D1 schools.
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:37 pm

bestinthewest wrote:

do you know anything about the WNBA? you don't NEED to be one of the top players from a Top D1 school to make it. watch a game once and then tell me how many were from the top D1 schools.

6 Shannon Bobbitt G 5-2 130 12/06/1985 Tennessee 1
24 Marie Ferdinand-Harris G 5-9 153 10/13/1978 LSU 7
10 Kristi Harrower G 5-4 139 03/04/1975 Australia 6
55 Vanessa Hayden C 6-4 240 06/05/1982 Florida 4
22 Betty Lennox G 5-8 143 12/04/1976 Louisiana Tech 9
9 Lisa Leslie C 6-5 170 07/07/1972 USC 11
8 DeLisha Milton-Jones F 6-1 185 09/11/1974 Florida 10
3 Candace Parker F 6-4 175 04/19/1986 Tennessee 1
45 Noelle Quinn G 6-0 175 01/03/1985 UCLA 2
32 Tina Thompson F 6-2 178 02/10/1975 USC 12
14 Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton F 6-2 186 05/26/1986 Purdue R

All of these players are from a top D1 school or overseas. Hmm...

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:59 pm

bestinthewest wrote:

I went on the USAToday website and looked at last season's rosters for the WNBA. At a quick glance, I thought all of the players were from a D1 school or from overseas. There was a player out of high school that was on the roster for the Seattle Storm.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:17 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
bestinthewest wrote:

I went on the USAToday website and looked at last season's rosters for the WNBA. At a quick glance, I thought all of the players were from a D1 school or from overseas. There was a player out of high school that was on the roster for the Seattle Storm.

I will correct myself...there was actually a player for Detroit who came from St. Edwards Univ. (Austin, TX) that is a D-2 school, and a player for San Antonio who came from Master's College that is NAIA.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:02 am

I'm sorry, but I don't see any ND girls bball player making it to the WNBA or even play overseas. The level of competition here at the high school level just does not prepare them enough. I'll check back in four year and if any of these players dominate at the collegiate level against some tough competition (Big 10, Big 12, SEC, etc.) then I'll eat my words.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:43 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't see any ND girls bball player making it to the WNBA or even play overseas. The level of competition here at the high school level just does not prepare them enough. I'll check back in four year and if any of these players dominate at the collegiate level against some tough competition (Big 10, Big 12, SEC, etc.) then I'll eat my words.

Rebecca Kielpinski from Mandan who just finished her D2 career in Alaska will be playing pro ball in Denmark.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:05 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't see any ND girls bball player making it to the WNBA or even play overseas. The level of competition here at the high school level just does not prepare them enough. I'll check back in four year and if any of these players dominate at the collegiate level against some tough competition (Big 10, Big 12, SEC, etc.) then I'll eat my words.

Rebecca Kielpinski from Mandan who just finished her D2 career in Alaska will be playing pro ball in Denmark.

I think a solid D2 player could play overseas. I know of a handful of players out of ND that have had offers to play in Australia but the pay is not great (50,000 range) so many of those girls decide to start their career instead.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:40 pm

I'd play basketball for $50,000/year. Beats the heck out of working 40 hours a week!
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bestinthewest » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:03 pm

Florida, USC, and UCLA are not top D1 schools for women's basketball. this is only one team.
there are many players who did not go to top schools. im not trying to be an man. i'm just trying to convince people that a girl from ND could possibly make a WNBA roster if given the chance at a D1 school. not even a top D1 school.

balla45 wrote:
bestinthewest wrote:

6 Shannon Bobbitt G 5-2 130 12/06/1985 Tennessee 1
24 Marie Ferdinand-Harris G 5-9 153 10/13/1978 LSU 7
10 Kristi Harrower G 5-4 139 03/04/1975 Australia 6
55 Vanessa Hayden C 6-4 240 06/05/1982 Florida 4
22 Betty Lennox G 5-8 143 12/04/1976 Louisiana Tech 9
9 Lisa Leslie C 6-5 170 07/07/1972 USC 11
8 DeLisha Milton-Jones F 6-1 185 09/11/1974 Florida 10
3 Candace Parker F 6-4 175 04/19/1986 Tennessee 1
45 Noelle Quinn G 6-0 175 01/03/1985 UCLA 2
32 Tina Thompson F 6-2 178 02/10/1975 USC 12
14 Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton F 6-2 186 05/26/1986 Purdue R

All of these players are from a top D1 school or overseas. Hmm...
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Girls