Blocking Shots

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Blocking Shots

Postby 4thegame » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:01 pm

What does it take for a girl not to get called for a foul when she blocks a shot? It might be just me, but it seems like it is nearly impossible for a girl to be a great shot blocker in ND; is it the rules or the refs that call it so tight?
4thegame
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Blocking Shots

Postby Baller » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:10 pm

The problem that a lot of girls have is that they do not keep very good control of their lower body so while many times it looks like a clean block but there is contact on the body particularly with the hips.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:38 pm

i would say a combo of that and none of the big girls really jump to try and block the shot
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rock83 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:14 pm

Because officials dont think that girls can block shots so they anticipate. It must be a foul!

4thegame wrote:What does it take for a girl not to get called for a foul when she blocks a shot? It might be just me, but it seems like it is nearly impossible for a girl to be a great shot blocker in ND; is it the rules or the refs that call it so tight?
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:48 am

Position has a lot to do with it also on the girls side. You won't see the verticle jumping ability or the 6'4+ wingspans that you see in boys so anything but being in the right position will usually result in contact somewhere.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 4thegame » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:14 am

well it seems like girls have a tendency to flail around more when the shoot as well. i have to agree with rock 83 "Because officials dont think that girls can block shots so they anticipate. It must be a foul."

i've seen so many times where a girl brings the ball behind or above her head and a defender just takes it from them, but it is called a foul.
4thegame
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Girls