All state without Eli Benz!!!????

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: All state without Eli Benz!!!????

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:32 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:
baseball wrote:then i must be missing something. with your response you make it sound like ive been saying shes a bad player?? when from the first post ive ever put about her i said she was above-average to great. so basically your agreeing with me but at the same time argueing that you have a different point of view of the type of player she is. i have never said anything bad about her...just that i dont understand, and am curious why there is such a big fuss about this.

great player - yes
all state - i think so
worth calling and writting to the press - not so much

I think my frustration started back months ago when the media continued to dog the Kidder County team throughout the polls. The eventual state champs, did not receive even votes at the beginning of the year and continued to be ranked towards the bottom 10 even after beating many of the top ranked teams. So when the tournament MVP for the state champions got passed up I just had to question how the process is done and maybe the problem lies in that regions media representatives???? Didn't seem like they did a very good job lobbying for their region. I think many people didn't realize how good this team and some of their players were until state and they also feel that some of their performances were just good during the state tournament. I guess I just feel they were not pushed in the media like they deserved which led to a player being overlooked.

Agree - well said!
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 3girlsbbmom » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:57 am

I have been reading these post the last few days on Eli and as people who know and love Eli also wonder how she was left off the all state team! Some posts seemed like people thought she was not all state but mostly believe she was. Do I think Eli is allstate? Absolutely, first team? Without a doubt. Her ppg do not reflect the amazing all round player this young lady is. Unless you have seen her play over the years(I have seen her play every game since 5th grade) you will not realize the level of her talent. You can not base youur opinions on seeing 1 game or 1 tournament, although the state tourney should have been enough for all state selection. "Big poppakdog" thanks for all the props you have given on here to the KC Lady Pirates, you as an unbiased spectator saw what all of us have known since this team has been in 5th and 6th grade that they would be state champs someday! I dont think the voting can be changed, and arguing on here is not the answer. Knowing Eli, and knowing what a humble girl she is, all this fuss probably has her feeling a little embarrassed. After all, Eli has her hand on the most coveted trophy in North Dakota, a state championship, something most of the girls on the all state and list and around the state only dream of,plus a tourney mvp beside it! Will she remember not being put on the all state team years down the road? probably, will it matter to her? probably not, will she rember her state championship and making the winning basket at the buzzer? ABSOLUTELY she will, and plus we get to watch her another year. So maybe we should let this one rest and see what happens next year.
3girlsbbmom
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:23 am

GirlsClassBfan wrote:
baseball wrote:then i must be missing something. with your response you make it sound like ive been saying shes a bad player?? when from the first post ive ever put about her i said she was above-average to great. so basically your agreeing with me but at the same time argueing that you have a different point of view of the type of player she is. i have never said anything bad about her...just that i dont understand, and am curious why there is such a big fuss about this.

great player - yes
all state - i think so
worth calling and writting to the press - not so much

I haven't/wouldn't call or write to the press -I am not arguing with you, but I certainly don't agree with some of your posts. Anyone that really truly follows class b girls bb that remotely knows/understands the game at all will recognize that this player is all state material. End of discussion. She was missed and it was wrong.

what dont you agree with then? the part where i said she was a great player, or the part that i think she is all state?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:38 am

baseball wrote:
Baller wrote:The issue that I have with this topic is that some people are basing their judgement of Eli Benz only on the state tournament. Do I think she deserved all-state, not sure because I ONLY saw her play in the state tournament. As with any team, there are going to be snubs. I remember there being an uproar last year over Mara Paulson but i think this is being blown completely out of proportion. I think that if you were not at the media meeting talking about the players, you have no idea what the circumstances are and need to let it go. We know how you feel and it has been a great debate but enough is a enough.

Thats what im trying to say. she had a great tournament and is a great player, but when it comes to an all-state season i dont know.

You have never fully committed to the fact she should have been on the all state team. Your earlier posts quote "ppg and not showing up". I am saying that there is more to basketball than ppg -(My earlier example was C.Haring from South) . You show me one girls all stater that showed up for 27 games. And she did have a nice game the first night of state - believe she shot 50% - check the box score. You continue to talk in circles - study the game, study the players - then I will continue to debate with you.
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:45 am

GirlsClassBfan wrote:
baseball wrote:
Baller wrote:The issue that I have with this topic is that some people are basing their judgement of Eli Benz only on the state tournament. Do I think she deserved all-state, not sure because I ONLY saw her play in the state tournament. As with any team, there are going to be snubs. I remember there being an uproar last year over Mara Paulson but i think this is being blown completely out of proportion. I think that if you were not at the media meeting talking about the players, you have no idea what the circumstances are and need to let it go. We know how you feel and it has been a great debate but enough is a enough.

Thats what im trying to say. she had a great tournament and is a great player, but when it comes to an all-state season i dont know.

You have never fully committed to the fact she should have been on the all state team. Your earlier posts quote "ppg and not showing up". I am saying that there is more to basketball than ppg -(My earlier example was C.Haring from South) . You show me one girls all stater that showed up for 27 games. And she did have a nice game the first night of state - believe she shot 50% - check the box score. You continue to talk in circles - study the game, study the players - then I will continue to debate with you.

there is no point in debating me..i have no clue about the game. you cant just go by the box score to see if someon had a good game. have u ever heard the expression "things that dont show up in the box score"?? maybe she did shoot 50%, but like you said points isnt everything. overall she did not have tha good of a game the first round. she ended with sure maybe 12 pts, 6 reb. but there was more to the game then that. no disrespect to stanley but had they played a different team the first round they would have lost with the way Eli played.. but she came on strong the next 2.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:16 pm

baseball wrote:
GirlsClassBfan wrote:
baseball wrote:

there is no point in debating me..i have no clue about the game. you cant just go by the box score to see if someon had a good game. have u ever heard the expression "things that dont show up in the box score"?? maybe she did shoot 50%, but like you said points isnt everything. overall she did not have tha good of a game the first round. she ended with sure maybe 12 pts, 6 reb. but there was more to the game then that. no disrespect to stanley but had they played a different team the first round they would have lost with the way Eli played.. but she came on strong the next 2.

your wayward comments bore me - In prior posts, you told me to check the box score - now it doesn't mean anything? And that is right, points aren't everything. There were 2-3 people on her clogging up the middle in the Stanley game - sure opened it up for Sand - who had a fantastic game. They were able to use each other that way all year. - like I said, Study the game and come up with valid cosistent arguments that are fundamentally sound.
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:38 pm

when did i use the words "check the box score". if you understand the game there is alot you can take from a box, but even the most knowledgable people cant explain the whole game to you through a box score. you can say i dont understand the game of basketball, but i stand by my statement that she did not play well in the first round. sorry...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:47 pm

baseball wrote:
GirlsClassBfan wrote:I wasn't saying a letter had to go anywhere, but again, I have seen several of the girls on the All state team that did not have a good game, and in fact, more than once. Evidently, you haven't been watching them very closely. You better check out Benz's fg% first - remember, she did average 15 pts a game , 8 reb and 3 blocks - She didn't even play a full game in a lot of their games because they were usually up by 20. So, don't even go there - you know better.

go look at the box scores...tell me which teams she score more then 20 on prior to the state tournament? i do know better, shes a great player and like i said deserved atleast 2nd team. but i think some people are making her out to be the next Candace Parker. shes a great player, but the media believes there were 15 players who were better, nothing against her, just their opinion. go ask her her opinion about the topic....i think it was bigpoppa who said it. she'll point to her state championship and tourney mvp award and then say "who needs all-state"

See above.....I quote, 'go look at the box scores' So, do the box scores mean something or don't they?
This Benz player had an fantastic season and was an all state basketball player this year. Having an average to good game in the first round of the state tournament does not constitute missing that list. You certainly don't upset me so you don't have to be sorry.
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby tingly » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:07 pm

baseball said he'd have voted to put her on the all-state team. That's commitment enough for me.

How many juniors made all-state? Maybe class is a factor?
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:12 pm

tingly wrote:baseball said he'd have voted to put her on the all-state team. That's commitment enough for me.

How many juniors made all-state? Maybe class is a factor?

I think it does play a role somewhat but it absolutely shouldn't.
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:45 pm

I don't recall a jr being on the list. 3 sophs were though. There were a lot of Region senior athletes on the list. You look at Gus Keuber. His selection contradicts the decision to not have Eli Benz as an all stater. I think his selection was appropriate and the girls MVP should have been all-state. But, I too, think this has been talked about enough and am happy that everybody else agree's she got a raw deal. So maybe it would be appropriate for the mods to lock this topic now.
bigpoppakdog

Postby ndfan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:53 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:I don't recall a jr being on the list. 3 sophs were though. There were a lot of Region senior athletes on the list. You look at Gus Keuber. His selection contradicts the decision to not have Eli Benz as an all stater. I think his selection was appropriate and the girls MVP should have been all-state. But, I too, think this has been talked about enough and am happy that everybody else agree's she got a raw deal. So maybe it would be appropriate for the mods to lock this topic now.

I don't think it should be locked, other people may have an opinion on this matter at sometime.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:57 pm

GirlsClassBfan wrote:
baseball wrote:
GirlsClassBfan wrote:I wasn't saying a letter had to go anywhere, but again, I have seen several of the girls on the All state team that did not have a good game, and in fact, more than once. Evidently, you haven't been watching them very closely. You better check out Benz's fg% first - remember, she did average 15 pts a game , 8 reb and 3 blocks - She didn't even play a full game in a lot of their games because they were usually up by 20. So, don't even go there - you know better.

go look at the box scores...tell me which teams she score more then 20 on prior to the state tournament? i do know better, shes a great player and like i said deserved atleast 2nd team. but i think some people are making her out to be the next Candace Parker. shes a great player, but the media believes there were 15 players who were better, nothing against her, just their opinion. go ask her her opinion about the topic....i think it was bigpoppa who said it. she'll point to her state championship and tourney mvp award and then say "who needs all-state"

See above.....I quote, 'go look at the box scores' So, do the box scores mean something or don't they?
This Benz player had an fantastic season and was an all state basketball player this year. Having an average to good game in the first round of the state tournament does not constitute missing that list. You certainly don't upset me so you don't have to be sorry.

and like i said that if you understand the game you can take a lot from a box score, but there are still alot of things that dont show up in them. you said she averaged 15 ppg...thats when i said go look at the games that she had her average and above in. they were games in which they won by 20-30 points, and then the state tourney. in the close games, it was Sand taking the big shots and scoring more.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:38 pm

baseball wrote:
GirlsClassBfan wrote:
baseball wrote:

OH, sorry. You were at every KC game and saw it all go down......
box score or not, make up your mind - you are see-sawing
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:41 pm

Actually...I would be willing to bet that baseball saw a majority of KC games.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:01 pm

Baller wrote:Actually...I would be willing to bet that baseball saw a majority of KC games.

Really ( that was sarcastic, by the way) - you can totally tell that - he has given that away.
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:03 pm

Then why are you questioning what he knows about the team?
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:06 pm

Baller wrote:Then why are you questioning what he knows about the team?

Never questioned him - do not agree with him
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:02 pm

GirlsClassBfan wrote:
baseball wrote:
GirlsClassBfan wrote:
baseball wrote:

how am i see-sawing? the whole time i have said that if you know the game you can tell alot by the box score. but no matter how much you know there is still a ton of stuff that happened in the game that doesnt show up in the box..
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby tingly » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:06 pm

I don't get why you're arguing against someone who said he'd vote Benz onto the team.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:31 pm

been wondering the same thing haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:50 pm

tingly wrote:I don't get why you're arguing against someone who said he'd vote Benz onto the team.

no arguing - just disagree with some of his points on basketball.
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:53 pm

baseball wrote:
GirlsClassBfan wrote:
baseball wrote:
GirlsClassBfan wrote:
baseball wrote:

how am i see-sawing? the whole time i have said that if you know the game you can tell alot by the box score. but no matter how much you know there is still a ton of stuff that happened in the game that doesnt show up in the box..

Oh, so now it's both, ok. I can play your game.
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:04 pm

ok...?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:21 pm

box scores can tell you who is the scorer, who hits the boards hard, who dishes the ball. things that arent in the box score...did they work for the points or was it against a mismatch, what kind of defense was run, who does the offense primarily run through, how do they manage themselves in diferent styles of play...can they adapt or do they struggle in certain styles?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Girls