All state without Eli Benz!!!????

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: All state without Eli Benz!!!????

Postby Hinsa » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:27 pm

Somebody suggested locking this topic a while ago. There is no reason to lock it unless it violates the rules of the forum. People can talk about this all they want. If you are bored with it just don't read it anymore.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:37 am

bigpoppakdog wrote: Eli Benz was the best player in the tournament and one of the best all-around players I have seen in girls bb ever. To leave her off the all-state team to me, leaves me shaking my head why? There are some names from the east that I have no idea on other than watching them in the state tournament and are high quality players. There are some names from the west that I have seen and would not pick above Benz. But, she does have a state title, and an MVP plaque at home. Nobody else can say that in girls this year. But she got a raw deal on this one.

One of the best all around players in Girls BB in North Dakota EVER!?!? Is she a great player, absolutely. But she is no where close to the best even Class B only North Dakota player ever. Tanya Fisher, Sheri Kleinsasser, Katie Richards, Nadine Schmidt, Kami Winger. That is a very short list of players off the top of my head who are at a completely different level. All of which were DOMINANT players in college on National Championship D2 teams, with the exception of Kleinsasser who finished as the NCC's all time leading scorer. Eli is a great player and deserved to be on the All-State team, but lets not get carried away with saying she is the best ever as she will not be a dominant D2 player like the ones listed above and definitely not a D1 player. Is she a D2 talent for UMary or others, I think so, but will not dominate games like the others. She may be out of position at the college level.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby tingly » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:05 pm

Don't forget the "I have seen" part.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:36 pm

InTheKnow wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote: Eli Benz was the best player in the tournament and one of the best all-around players I have seen in girls bb ever. To leave her off the all-state team to me, leaves me shaking my head why? There are some names from the east that I have no idea on other than watching them in the state tournament and are high quality players. There are some names from the west that I have seen and would not pick above Benz. But, she does have a state title, and an MVP plaque at home. Nobody else can say that in girls this year. But she got a raw deal on this one.

One of the best all around players in Girls BB in North Dakota EVER!?!? Is she a great player, absolutely. But she is no where close to the best even Class B only North Dakota player ever. Tanya Fisher, Sheri Kleinsasser, Katie Richards, Nadine Schmidt, Kami Winger. That is a very short list of players off the top of my head who are at a completely different level. All of which were DOMINANT players in college on National Championship D2 teams, with the exception of Kleinsasser who finished as the NCC's all time leading scorer. Eli is a great player and deserved to be on the All-State team, but lets not get carried away with saying she is the best ever as she will not be a dominant D2 player like the ones listed above and definitely not a D1 player. Is she a D2 talent for UMary or others, I think so, but will not dominate games like the others. She may be out of position at the college level.

I am glad you can see into the future. How do you know? She is only a Junior. You must really be an expert. Wow.
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:17 pm

Yes, the players on that list I did not see in person. Maybe I should have stated in the last dozen years she has the best "all-around" game I have seen. All around meaning that ability to play all 5 spots on the floor. Put her name up with nadine schmidt and those others, no.
bigpoppakdog

Postby baseball » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:31 pm

GirlsClassBfan wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:

I am glad you can see into the future. How do you know? She is only a Junior. You must really be an expert. Wow.

Are you related to Eli somehow? anytime someone says anything that indicated shes not the best player to walk the earth your all over them.....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:19 am

baseball wrote:
GirlsClassBfan wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:

Are you related to Eli somehow? anytime someone says anything that indicated shes not the best player to walk the earth your all over them.....

Nope, I thought maybe you were! - you are always using her first name. That seems strange to me - I just saw her play several times the last couple of years and was very impressed. Just thought " in the know" was a little harsh when there is a lot of future ahead, that is all. Just my opinion - you do the very same thing in some of your posts.
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby InTheKnow » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

GirlsClassBfan wrote:
baseball wrote:
GirlsClassBfan wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:

Nope, I thought maybe you were! - you are always using her first name. That seems strange to me - I just saw her play several times the last couple of years and was very impressed. Just thought " in the know" was a little harsh when there is a lot of future ahead, that is all. Just my opinion - you do the very same thing in some of your posts.

I totally respect your opinion but sometimes reality is harsh and those who accept reality and work hard to improve on those areas are the ones who become great players. I have followed high school basketball of both genders for 20 years now in ND. If you said Freshman or Sophomore in regards to alot of future ahead I can agree with, but she now has around 25-30 games left and only one season. Colleges will be recruiting her now based off of this season as the early signing period for seniors is before the season begins. For many colleges she has already made up their minds on her future and how she would fit into their program. That in reality is not alot of future left. Her future with HS is basically now. For her to make the transition to the college game even at the D2 level she will need to be able to handle the ball much better and be more of a perimeter/wing player. It will be difficult for her to be an effective post player at that level as she currently lacks height, and strength to play the 4 and 5. She is a GREAT high school player, she WILL play college somewhere, but her game will need to evolve to be equally as successful at the next level.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby InTheKnow » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:14 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:Yes, the players on that list I did not see in person. Maybe I should have stated in the last dozen years she has the best "all-around" game I have seen. All around meaning that ability to play all 5 spots on the floor. Put her name up with nadine schmidt and those others, no.

I am going to disagree with the her being the best "all around" player who could play all 5 positions and say Betsy Dickson of Midway-Minto who started half the games at MSU-Moorhead this year as a Sophmore. She led M-M to state in 2006 & 07, runner up in 06. Senior year she averaged 9 pts, 8 rebounds, 8 assists, 5 steals, and 3 blocks a game including 18 boards in a district semi game. Could play all 5 positions and even as the PG took the opening tip every game because of her athleticism. She had no idea how many points, rebounds, or assists she ever had in a game and didn't care. She just wanted to win.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:38 am

Again, didn't see that one play either. Let me try to clarify, as I think I made it sound as if she should be one of the top players ever, which was not my intent. I have had the opportunity to watch a team that went to state three straight years, and were ranked #1 and have watched some other greats throughout the past 10 years. In the past 10 years, "I" can't recall a player that was so multi-dimensional as this Benz girl was. I have seen past years of all staters who didn't average a lot of points, steals or rebounds, but got the all state recognition based a lot on the fact they were solid players on a team that played in the state tournament. I thought Benz earned her way on the list by being such a multi-dimensional player and important player for the STATE CHAMPS(I put that in bold because I think that fact is very important, as we all know that makes a difference for stats etc..if you play on the top ranked team in state versus a team who isn't that high of quality). I think we also will agree that many players dominate the game in the scoring column. A stat that always the #1 stat looked at. It was good to see the media overlook that stat in the Gus Keuber case. He was well deserving of his recognition, BUT one could easily argue that his "season" was not that statistically impressive, just like Benz was cited and I don't disagree with that. I don't think the media put in as much thought into Girls Class B as the boy's Class B. If they did, Benz would have been on the list. If they paid attention to Boys B as much as Girls B then Keuber would have been left off the list and then there would have been many upset folks(me included). Good news is she is only a junior and she will have to step up her ppg next year without sand. The bad news is they lose their point guard and she might have to be the point guard which could end up costing her on the stat sheet. Like someone else said, she might not even give a rip, but will continue to improve her game. I'm hoping she did feel slighted and will use that as a motivational tool for next year and put up 20 ppg 10rbp 5 assists to make it a unanimous decision. But, at least, I hope she will be on the medias and others list of players to watch out for next year.
bigpoppakdog

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:52 am

InTheKnow wrote:
GirlsClassBfan wrote:
baseball wrote:
GirlsClassBfan wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:

I totally respect your opinion but sometimes reality is harsh and those who accept reality and work hard to improve on those areas are the ones who become great players. I have followed high school basketball of both genders for 20 years now in ND. If you said Freshman or Sophomore in regards to alot of future ahead I can agree with, but she now has around 25-30 games left and only one season. Colleges will be recruiting her now based off of this season as the early signing period for seniors is before the season begins. For many colleges she has already made up their minds on her future and how she would fit into their program. That in reality is not alot of future left. Her future with HS is basically now. For her to make the transition to the college game even at the D2 level she will need to be able to handle the ball much better and be more of a perimeter/wing player. It will be difficult for her to be an effective post player at that level as she currently lacks height, and strength to play the 4 and 5. She is a GREAT high school player, she WILL play college somewhere, but her game will need to evolve to be equally as successful at the next level.

very well stated. I am not sure if it is going to happen though. I think she played in a position that she probably wouldn't have played had KC had another ball handler. I don't see that changing next year as Sand is gone. You are right, she in the long run would be better off if she could focus on the position she is best at. But, for KC, the best for them is for her to probably continue to play the multi spots. As far as college goes, there is plenty of time for her to adjust and get comfortable at a certain spot on the floor. As far as being a better ball handler, college level I would agree, but she still is in high school and I don't recall any teams able to press KC when she was running the show. I don't think she will be a point guard in college. I see her best spot on the floor as that 2/3 player. I don't completely agree that she lacks height and strength to be a 4. Again, still high school. But it is interesting on what spot on the floor she "could" end up playing in college if she even chooses to want to play in college.
bigpoppakdog

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:27 pm

GirlsClassBfan wrote:
baseball wrote:
GirlsClassBfan wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:

so you have to be related to someone to use their first name when referring to them? you use everyone's last name if they arent in your family? i personally do know her yes, but there are a lot of people i use a first name basis on...

and as far as predicting the future...i know i cant do that and dont need you yelling at me for that. ut if you think BENZ will be an All-American in college, your prety dilusional. she'll be a good player i think because she can do so many things, but still not to "that" level.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby InTheKnow » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:26 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:very well stated. I am not sure if it is going to happen though. I think she played in a position that she probably wouldn't have played had KC had another ball handler. I don't see that changing next year as Sand is gone. You are right, she in the long run would be better off if she could focus on the position she is best at. But, for KC, the best for them is for her to probably continue to play the multi spots. As far as college goes, there is plenty of time for her to adjust and get comfortable at a certain spot on the floor. As far as being a better ball handler, college level I would agree, but she still is in high school and I don't recall any teams able to press KC when she was running the show. I don't think she will be a point guard in college. I see her best spot on the floor as that 2/3 player. I don't completely agree that she lacks height and strength to be a 4. Again, still high school. But it is interesting on what spot on the floor she "could" end up playing in college if she even chooses to want to play in college.

The two closest D2 programs to Kidder County are UMary and MSUM. I saw both of these teams play this year. Benz is not able to play the 4 for either one of them.

Their 08-09 rosters included...
MSUM- 6'1 or taller- 5 players (6'1, 6'1, 6'2, 6'3, 6'5)
UMary- 6' or taller- 8 players (6'0, 6'0, 6'0, 6'0, 6'1, 6'1, 6'2, 6'2)

One of the 6'1 players for UMary is Sophomore Abby Bratlien from Tioga who is a Guard. Dont mean this as bashing but more informative of the talent that is out there, but she is also a more versatile player who can go inside and out at the college level.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby 4thegame » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:09 pm

TALK ABOUT BEATING A DEAD HORSE....
4thegame
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:12 pm

college is so far away. You take in account her senior year and then 1 or 2 years of college experience before starting to see things. Look at the Kia Herbel from DSU. She ended up getting some great national recognition. She was out in high school, but was pretty much a bench player. So a lot can happen.
bigpoppakdog

Postby COACHWEST » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:16 am

I would hardly say Herbel was a bench player. She made Miller that much more difficult to defend and Miller made defending Herbel difficult. Having coached against her, she was not a bench player yet I see where you are coming from. Kia was not near the player that she is today. Benz will get better with the college experience....most players would.

Big poppa, I think (most) everyone, I know I do, agrees with the reason you started this thread. But as someone just posted, beating a dead horse, lets move on and if we want to discuss some of this other stuff, lets put it on a new thread.
COACHWEST
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:50 am

I haven't said as much as others over the last 3 pages :D . I agree, I don't think this will stop until they lock it even though it hasn't broken any rules.
bigpoppakdog

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:18 pm

heres a great way to end this thread. this was mike webers response on the bismarck tribune website. He is a sports media rep.

MICHAEL WEBER wrote on Mar 31, 2009 2:05 PM:
" OK, I think the point has been made that Eli Benz of Kidder County deserves to be on the all-state team. I agree. I've seen her play several times and I've always come away impressed with her all-around play. I thought she should have been an all-stater. So did other members of the media. However, she didn't garner enough votes to get one of the five first-team spots or 10 second-team spots. You could say the timing of it all wasn't in her favor. The all-state meeting is usually held the day after the state quarterfinals. Kidder County's quarterfinal game was the first time most of the media saw Benz play. She had an OK game (10 points, six rebounds), but not a spectacular one. During the meeting, Benz's teammate Lindsay Sand got a lot of attention because she had an outstanding opener (23 points). Those who saw Benz and Sand play before the state tournament, lobbied for both. Now you can lobby all you want, but to many, seeing is believing. The next two days, everyone saw what Benz is capable of. She had two monster games (39 points, 25 rebounds, total). I'm sure she convinced many, but it was after the all-state voting. It's too bad she didn't make it, but it happens. If it's any consolation, Benz will be on everybody's mind next year. The girls on the all-state team, including Sand, are outstanding players and very deserving. There were other deserving players, besides Benz, that didn't make it either - players like Stef Bohrer of Hazen and Brittney Deitz of Beach. One more thing, from what I know of Benz, she could care less about being left off the all-state team. She's a humble, team-first player who is loving the fact that she's a member of a state champion team. She has something 14 all-staters wish they had. "
bigpoppakdog

Postby Wildcat » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:06 am

Having once worked for a newspaper, I'd like to remind people that it's easy to sit back and throw stones.
Eli Benz should have been an all-stater. I thought she was a great player when I watched her at the Civic Center Jamboree.
That being said, newspapers are trying to compete with Web sites and with people not buying classifieds or advertising because of the strain on the economy, newspapers and other media members can't afford to go to EVERY state tournament. If you look at the Class B boys state tournament, the Fargo Forum wasn't there. The Dickinson Press wasn't there. Sometimes these newspapers can't afford to go if they only have one team. As far as I know, the only dailies there were the Herald (had 2 teams), Tribune (had at least three I'm sure) and the Daily (host).

I saw someone say earlier in this thread something about how all media members need to go to the state meetings. So, if I work for a radio station, and I'm just throwing this out there. It's all make believe.

If I work for a radio station that covers Region 1 and I can't afford to go to the state tournament because I only have one team. I SHOULD HAVE TO GO just so I can vote at the all-state meeting? I would rather vote on the internet if I can so that I can try and get my Region 1 athletes some consideration. I would also call other media members (friends) around the state to get some opinions.

All of the parents and kids who are protesting this need to remember that media people are struggling through the economy as well. Also, there isn't a paper in the state that has MORE than one writer for Class B. In fact, the only "Class B writers" in the state are Michael Weber of the Bismarck Tribune and Craig Haupert of the Minot Daily News. They do ONLY Class B. Otherwise, everybody else to cover more than just Class B. Money is tight and people are getting laid off, just ask the Forum newsroom. They've caught 50 jobs.

I also saw mention of someone say that sports writers need to make sure they watch the all-staters doing the season in games. So, if I were a sports writer, I have to pass up two teams that are both undefeated with no all-staters, so that I can watch a girl for a 10-6 team that scores 20 points a game? That's not how they think.

A mistake was made in the votes, but let's take it easy on these guys. This is the NDPSSA's all-state team. Also, not that I want to start a forum riot with this, but if you look at how the coach's vote? Traditionally, coaches' daughters seem to get preferential treatment and if it wasn't for the media, Greg Amundson of Mandan or his players would never get any awards. Miss Basketball (media): Ali Collins, Mandan. ND Senior athlete of the year (coaches): Morgan Dale, Jamestown.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:05 am

great post. Which is why one would think, it it was left up to the coaches there would be a more thorough observation report.
bigpoppakdog

Postby baseball » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:12 am

but if its left up to the coaches, people will get upset about not all coaches going to the meetings. the same thing would happen. a coach from mott or hettinger wouldnt go to grand forks unless their team is in tourney, family is playing, or up for coach of the year. they would vote online, like the media.

not to mention coaches worry more about their region then others anyway. they are going to spend time scouting opponents, not watching or calling other regions just to get an idea of who they should vote all-state vote. IMO the media would do a better job then coaches....just my opinion tho.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:03 pm

Wildcat wrote:Having once worked for a newspaper, I'd like to remind people that it's easy to sit back and throw stones.
Eli Benz should have been an all-stater. I thought she was a great player when I watched her at the Civic Center Jamboree.
That being said, newspapers are trying to compete with Web sites and with people not buying classifieds or advertising because of the strain on the economy, newspapers and other media members can't afford to go to EVERY state tournament. If you look at the Class B boys state tournament, the Fargo Forum wasn't there. The Dickinson Press wasn't there. Sometimes these newspapers can't afford to go if they only have one team. As far as I know, the only dailies there were the Herald (had 2 teams), Tribune (had at least three I'm sure) and the Daily (host).

I saw someone say earlier in this thread something about how all media members need to go to the state meetings. So, if I work for a radio station, and I'm just throwing this out there. It's all make believe.

If I work for a radio station that covers Region 1 and I can't afford to go to the state tournament because I only have one team. I SHOULD HAVE TO GO just so I can vote at the all-state meeting? I would rather vote on the internet if I can so that I can try and get my Region 1 athletes some consideration. I would also call other media members (friends) around the state to get some opinions.

All of the parents and kids who are protesting this need to remember that media people are struggling through the economy as well. Also, there isn't a paper in the state that has MORE than one writer for Class B. In fact, the only "Class B writers" in the state are Michael Weber of the Bismarck Tribune and Craig Haupert of the Minot Daily News. They do ONLY Class B. Otherwise, everybody else to cover more than just Class B. Money is tight and people are getting laid off, just ask the Forum newsroom. They've caught 50 jobs.

I also saw mention of someone say that sports writers need to make sure they watch the all-staters doing the season in games. So, if I were a sports writer, I have to pass up two teams that are both undefeated with no all-staters, so that I can watch a girl for a 10-6 team that scores 20 points a game? That's not how they think.

A mistake was made in the votes, but let's take it easy on these guys. This is the NDPSSA's all-state team. Also, not that I want to start a forum riot with this, but if you look at how the coach's vote? Traditionally, coaches' daughters seem to get preferential treatment and if it wasn't for the media, Greg Amundson of Mandan or his players would never get any awards. Miss Basketball (media): Ali Collins, Mandan. ND Senior athlete of the year (coaches): Morgan Dale, Jamestown.

Miss Basketball : Ali Collins, will soon be making her college anouncement. I think this high major D1 school kinda shows why she won Miss Basketball.

Ali Collins has 3 state titles, and is a 3 time all stater. Ali Collins was the best basketball player in the state, and won Miss Basketball because of it. Senior Athlete Of The Year should have been Ali Collins'. I would love to know what other Class A WDA senior was Box-1 every game.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:11 pm

scc wrote:
baseball wrote:but if its left up to the coaches, people will get upset about not all coaches going to the meetings. the same thing would happen. a coach from mott or hettinger wouldnt go to grand forks unless their team is in tourney, family is playing, or up for coach of the year. they would vote online, like the media.

not to mention coaches worry more about their region then others anyway. they are going to spend time scouting opponents, not watching or calling other regions just to get an idea of who they should vote all-state vote. IMO the media would do a better job then coaches....just my opinion tho.

baseball makes some good points, to which I agree. I also think there may be less "politics" in having the media vote. I can think of a district all-tournament team vote some years back that didn't turn out too well. That was a vote of the area coaches. Anyway, I agree with baseball's opinion, and I think he's a very insightful member of this site.

Some good points concerning coaches who would vote for "their" player before another teams player, but with all coaches involved you would hope the majority would over rule those things.
bigpoppakdog

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:00 pm

I honestly hope with that post about Collins getting Miss Basketball that you weren't taking shots at her. Coaches don't vote for players from Mandan's team because they think Amundson is a (use your favorite explitive), however it is because they are jealous of what he has accomplished. She was Miss Basketball, don't take shots.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:19 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:
scc wrote:
baseball wrote:but if its left up to the coaches, people will get upset about not all coaches going to the meetings. the same thing would happen. a coach from mott or hettinger wouldnt go to grand forks unless their team is in tourney, family is playing, or up for coach of the year. they would vote online, like the media.

baseball makes some good points, to which I agree. I also think there may be less "politics" in having the media vote. I can think of a district all-tournament team vote some years back that didn't turn out too well. That was a vote of the area coaches. Anyway, I agree with baseball's opinion, and I think he's a very insightful member of this site.

Some good points concerning coaches who would vote for "their" player before another teams player, but with all coaches involved you would hope the majority would over rule those things.

the thing is that the media is unbiased without question. while there is alot of coaches that could cancel out the bad voters, maybe some wouldnt vote for the rival teams best player....for vote for bottineau players because they suspect recruiting and/or jealous of the success. what im saying is that the bias and personal feelings of coaches might, but not necessarily, skew the unbiased list made by the media.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Girls