All state without Eli Benz!!!????

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: All state without Eli Benz!!!????

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 pm

baseball wrote:
GirlsClassBfan wrote:Be careful, baseball - Benz has an overall talent level that supercedes that of most on the 2nd team. I can safely bet that every one of those girls on that all state list has had a bad game here and there and one made first team strictly by one fantastic game. Give me a break! I thought you had a better grasp on the game than what you are saying. She should have been on that list and you know it.

i would vote her on yes...but my point was who are you going to take off? a person would never be suprised if Benz would go off like she did in the semi's...but at the same rate, there would be no suprise at all if she played like the first round where she either couldnt make a shot, or was in foul trouble the whole game. sometimes you had to wonder going into games just which player would show up. you shouldnt have to wonder that with all-state players.

a person doesnt average over 21 points a game with just one good game....21-6-3 is a pretty good line, thats what she averaged for the year. i would hardly call her a one game wonder.

like i said, i would vote her on and i am suprised she was left off atleast 2nd team. but does it call for a person to call the newspaper to ask why? and writting a letter saying how she got the shaft? no.

thanks for the response baseball. That is what I was looking for. Am I going over the top? In my mind no, but I want to see other viewpoints. I am more curious on a letter questioning the process not on why benz was left off the list. From what I was told, the process could be drastically improved. I don't agree that she was too inconsistent. At least not anymore inconsistent than a first teamer who had to shoot 25 times to get into double digits. But, again, I'm looking for that type of feedback. There are people on here who just respond in real dumb way, but many who do respond with valid ideas. If majority think it's a bad idea, then I might not pursue it. I just feel this was a major major mistake by not putting her on the all-state team. I really feel the discussion was whether or not she should be first team or second team. But hey, maybe I am out of line. I question the process that leads up to the vote. If these sports reporters don't even know one athlete from the next in different regions and then don't even attend the voting meeting how valid can that be? Doesn't make sense to me. Just like with Benz. I haven't seen one person who has indicated that Benz was not an all-stater. I don't think even you baseball had indicated that?
bigpoppakdog

Postby HometownHigh » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:41 pm

Unless you are a member of the "award police" get over it already.
Sounds like she's first in line for some bigpoppakdog award, but that's it.
She was not awarded a spot on the team, let it go!
HometownHigh
NDPreps Starter

Postby tingly » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:41 pm

The all-state team is really nobody's business but the NDAPSSA's. They could name 12 scrubs if they wanted since it is their private all-state team, not a public one or ours. I don't think they'd mind constructive criticism, but in the end, it's theirs.

They don't have time to go evaluate players, btw. Reporters at dailies work swing shifts.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rock83 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:02 pm

Then it shouldnt be called the NORTH DAKOTA CLASS B GIRLS BASKETBALL ALL STATE TEAM. Should be the NDAPSSA's ALL STATE TEAM. It is other peoples business besides the sports casters. They are advertizing this as though it is truely and All State team picked by professional sports writers. Well then be professional and go and do your job. Make sure that you are truely informed about what you are voting for. You might want to skip a wizard or u of mary game or so.

tingly wrote:The all-state team is really nobody's business but the NDAPSSA's. They could name 12 scrubs if they wanted since it is their private all-state team, not a public one or ours. I don't think they'd mind constructive criticism, but in the end, it's theirs.

They don't have time to go evaluate players, btw. Reporters at dailies work swing shifts.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby tingly » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:25 pm

rock83 wrote:They are advertizing this as though it is truely and All State team picked by professional sports writers.
Because that's what it is. They don't call it the official all-state team. The articles I saw said it's NDAPSSA's team, not even an inference that it's named by the NDHSAA. If little ol' me can figure this out, anyone can. If they were hiding that it's their team, then it's everybody's business since NDHSAA is a public entity, but only so far in that they're hiding the source, not who was named to the team.

The Oscars call it Best Film, but so do the Golden Globes and whoever else gives out movie awards and none are the official best film. It's just what each organization decides to award their little award to. Each can do as good or a bad of a job as they desire. ND could have 20 different All-state teams named for Class B GBB if 20 groups felt like doing it. NDHSAA all-state, NDGBB coaches assn all-state, KFYR all-state, Joe's Garage and Gas all-state team... Only the first 2 could be considered official.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rock83 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:05 pm

You might want to take a swing shift off of reporting for awhile it sounds like its getting to you. You said that reporters cant go to to many games because the work the swing shift. Well people that vote for all state are sports reporters, that is what they do. Go to games and report. If they are to busy to watch girls class b then they shouldnt be on the committee. Makes sense. You must be a voter otherwise no one would get this fired up. This is the facts: the people that vote should see the players first. Or at least see the players in their area more than once.
tingly wrote:
rock83 wrote:They are advertizing this as though it is truely and All State team picked by professional sports writers.
Because that's what it is. They don't call it the official all-state team. The articles I saw said it's NDAPSSA's team, not even an inference that it's named by the NDHSAA. If little ol' me can figure this out, anyone can. If they were hiding that it's their team, then it's everybody's business since NDHSAA is a public entity, but only so far in that they're hiding the source, not who was named to the team.

The Oscars call it Best Film, but so do the Golden Globes and whoever else gives out movie awards and none are the official best film. It's just what each organization decides to award their little award to. Each can do as good or a bad of a job as they desire. ND could have 20 different All-state teams named for Class B GBB if 20 groups felt like doing it. NDHSAA all-state, NDGBB coaches assn all-state, KFYR all-state, Joe's Garage and Gas all-state team... Only the first 2 could be considered official.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:17 pm

rock83 wrote:You might want to take a swing shift off of reporting for awhile it sounds like its getting to you. You said that reporters cant go to to many games because the work the swing shift. Well people that vote for all state are sports reporters, that is what they do. Go to games and report. If they are to busy to watch girls class b then they shouldnt be on the committee. Makes sense. You must be a voter otherwise no one would get this fired up. This is the facts: the people that vote should see the players first. Or at least see the players in their area more than once.
tingly wrote:

you shouldnt be a sports writter because your busy watchin Class A, Class B...both boys and girls. girls hockeyt, boys hockey? shifting the girls bball and volleyball season was a mistake all around.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rock83 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:21 pm

The last statement by tingly says it all. Read this and tell me you really dont believe this. I hope! When you write for a newspaper I really hope they dont believe this garbage. And if so that maybe why they are all in financial trouble. Hopefully by next year the media figures out they dont know as much as they think. They might want to call some area coaches and go to a few more class b girls games and then vote. I really think the minot sports reporters write much better sports articles than the bismarck tribune sports writers. I havent read any of the minot sports articles but i'm sure of it. Does that make any sense. Well?

The all-state team is really nobody's business but the NDAPSSA's.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby tingly » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:52 am

It would be helpful if you would refrain from twisting what I (and baseball on page 1) said.

For the record, I don't vote. That much was obvious when I said I wasn't a member. I don't work for any media. I didn't defend their 08-09 all-state team nor their decision-making process. I'm not even fired up, though this word twisting thing is kinda annoying.

Bismarck Tribune game stories aren't as good cuz they have less copy space per game and loads of games to cover each league night. Coaches call papers after games most of the time. That combines to sometimes not publishing more than a simplified box score with a sentence or 2. Smaller town newspapers can write with more depth as they have fewer games to cover.

Reporters do go to games since its their job, but someone said they should attend games on their offtime and evaluate and I was replying to that. They work on game days and get assigned to a site. Offtime is on a day when there aren't games.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:12 am

GirlsClassBfan wrote:I wasn't saying a letter had to go anywhere, but again, I have seen several of the girls on the All state team that did not have a good game, and in fact, more than once. Evidently, you haven't been watching them very closely. You better check out Benz's fg% first - remember, she did average 15 pts a game , 8 reb and 3 blocks - She didn't even play a full game in a lot of their games because they were usually up by 20. So, don't even go there - you know better.

go look at the box scores...tell me which teams she score more then 20 on prior to the state tournament? i do know better, shes a great player and like i said deserved atleast 2nd team. but i think some people are making her out to be the next Candace Parker. shes a great player, but the media believes there were 15 players who were better, nothing against her, just their opinion. go ask her her opinion about the topic....i think it was bigpoppa who said it. she'll point to her state championship and tourney mvp award and then say "who needs all-state"
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:19 am

Let me ask you this, baseball, - Do you think ppg is the most important stat factored in by the media? Do you think that determines a great player? And by they way, no one has ever mentioned Candace Parker. Evidently, there are a lot of people that feel she got the shaft, that is all.
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby q » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:56 am

Did it ever occur to anyone that some region 3 votes could have been split? Kidder County isn't the only school in that region.
q -- the only letter that does not appear in any US state name
q
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 am

don't see how that matters. Mandan boy's had 3 players on the all state team. Bismarck girls had multiple selection's also.
bigpoppakdog

Postby q » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:59 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:don't see how that matters. Mandan boy's had 3 players on the all state team. Bismarck girls had multiple selection's also.

Oh yeah, Class A must have as many schools as Class B.
q
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:14 am

Kenmare and NewRockford-Sheyenne both had 2 girls on that list - sorry, buddy, not a valid argument.
Better find something better than that.
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby q » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:23 am

That's not even my argument. Did you read the part about other girls playing in region 3? I wonder how they feel when their names aren't mentioned on this site.
q
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:26 am

There were not other girls in Region 3 that were all state players! That is the point.
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:30 pm

I just wanna know who you take off the list to put Eli on it?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:47 pm

you don't need to take anybody off. Just put her on.
bigpoppakdog

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:49 pm

There are a few that could be taken off - of course what is done is done - She should have been on before several others - where should I start?
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 2021 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:37 pm

Here is some advice for the press. Contact all schools, get stats for players. Look at percentages, team records, and if possible time spent on the court. Sports writers must have a staff that could compile this information. Take some time to evaluate. Teams do not have to be announced within a week's time. I have been following Class B sports for 30+ years, and I have to agree with some of the selections. I am tired of coaches kids and others who get on it because they have a free reign on shooting and playing time. If they tried playing for a different team, yes they would be good players, but I know stats would be lower.
Last edited by 2021 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndfan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:40 pm

GirlsClassBfan wrote:There are a few that could be taken off - of course what is done is done - She should have been on before several others - where should I start?

Just give me everyone u don't think should be all state ahead of Benz?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:56 pm

My opinion, from watching her play, Benz is a better all around talent than any of the 2nd teamers and I could argue 1 or 2 of the 1st teamers.
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:04 pm

Gosh, do we need to state who benz should be ahead of? I don't think so. There are some stats that aren't the best, but there are things that can be done on the court that do not show up in a stat book. Just like Benz's ability to play post and point guard. There are not stats on that, but when a player can do that, that is special. I started this thread because I felt Eli Benz should be on the list without removing anybody. If there are ties there can be more than 10 players on the second team. I really want to stay away from having to compare players and their abilities against each other here. Those things should be done behind closed doors not? That's where it would be difficult in deciding first team or second team. But, in this case, I thought the argument was going to be first team or second team and not second team or no team.
bigpoppakdog

Postby ndfan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:44 pm

Sorry she didn't make all state and all leave it at that I'm not trying to ruffle anyones feathers.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Girls