All state without Eli Benz!!!????

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: All state without Eli Benz!!!????

Postby Wildcat » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:10 pm

The Schwab wrote:I honestly hope with that post about Collins getting Miss Basketball that you weren't taking shots at her. Coaches don't vote for players from Mandan's team because they think Amundson is a (use your favorite explitive), however it is because they are jealous of what he has accomplished. She was Miss Basketball, don't take shots.

I was stating almost the exact same thing you did. People may complain about the media giving the awards, but coaches tend to show more bias.
As I said, if it wasn't for the media, Greg Amundson and his Mandan players would not get nearly the individual awards they do. The media only looks at the basketball on the floor for their awards (other than Mr. and Miss Basketball) while the coaches know backdoor secrets about certain players that make them dislike them no matter how good they are on the floor.
As far as coaches voting goes, here is no way that coaches could vote on these awards with the amount of Class B teams. Another scenario was to have a representative for each district. Even if you have a representative to watch each district, that person would be mired in that district's level of basketball all year long and not realize that it's really not that strong of a district. Then, they'd push undeserving players. Also, for the reps who are traveling around to all these games throughout the season, who is paying for that?

It's not the best system, obviously. But I guarantee it works far more often than it fails.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:16 am

I agree, that you will not find a perfect system. There will always be a player left off that easily could have been argued for. But, the system needs to improve so this extreme of an error doesn't happen again. Eli Benz was not the type of player that ever should have been in the realms of a possible 2nd team or no selection discussion. She easily should have been argued as a possible 1st team or 2nd team player. With the decision to put her on the 2nd team as the appropriate one. That is why coaches should be involved in the voting process. They are already getting paid to travel to all these places, so you don't have to worry about that. Unfortunate thing is, as others have stated, there might be too many coaches who are jealous of other programs etc...that purposely vote for somebody else. So is the media the best choice? Maybe so. The process that is currently in place needs to become more thorough. If the media is suppose to poll coaches from the region, aren't you facing that same scenario of a coach giving the media inaccurate statements? If the media is the ultimate source, then ALL the media regions need to make sure they do a thorough evaluation of their athletes. And for heaven's sake, wait until after the state tournaments before you vote.
bigpoppakdog

Postby tingly » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:19 pm

That's a huge donation of their free time for something completely unofficial. If given the choice between putting that much free time into evaluation or not doing All-state, I would think they'd opt for not. If you wanna get technical, there is no real All-state team since it's not done under the auspices of the NDHSAA.

I'm not shook by having voting done early. It's only 2 or 3 games out of 2 dozen. To be All-state, it shouldn't be based on their performance at State save for borderline cases. Oughta be obvious already (keeping Benz in mind).

Making themselves known to area coaches so they can call and promote All-state candidates would solve most problems. Then it's up to the coaches to pick up a phone. Having all-district/region teams and order of voting would be nice as long as bias is recognized.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rock83 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:38 am

We all do things in our life that we dont get paid for. But we do them for various reason including we are interested in it. If it is to much work dont do it, and let someone else that would be interested. Your statement sounds just like some of the people in the media. Again if you are not interested, if you know very little about class b girls basketball, or if it is a hassle dont do it.

tingly wrote:That's a huge donation of their free time for something completely unofficial. If given the choice between putting that much free time into evaluation or not doing All-state, I would think they'd opt for not. If you wanna get technical, there is no real All-state team since it's not done under the auspices of the NDHSAA.

I'm not shook by having voting done early. It's only 2 or 3 games out of 2 dozen. To be All-state, it shouldn't be based on their performance at State save for borderline cases. Oughta be obvious already (keeping Benz in mind).

Making themselves known to area coaches so they can call and promote All-state candidates would solve most problems. Then it's up to the coaches to pick up a phone. Having all-district/region teams and order of voting would be nice as long as bias is recognized.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:19 am

rock83 wrote:We all do things in our life that we dont get paid for. But we do them for various reason including we are interested in it. If it is to much work dont do it, and let someone else that would be interested. Your statement sounds just like some of the people in the media. Again if you are not interested, if you know very little about class b girls basketball, or if it is a hassle dont do it.

tingly wrote:That's a huge donation of their free time for something completely unofficial. If given the choice between putting that much free time into evaluation or not doing All-state, I would think they'd opt for not. If you wanna get technical, there is no real All-state team since it's not done under the auspices of the NDHSAA.

It has nothing to do with not wanting too, its the fact that not all media outlets can financially afford to send people across the state for a week...hotels, dining, travel...them costs all add up. and why would you spend that money when your not as expandable when you can do it online?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndsportsnut » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:56 am

Regardless of who is voting on the All-State team, somebody that is deserving is going to be left off. This is'nt the first time it has happened (and won't be the last), and I don't know why everybody is making such a big deal about it.

Keep it up and pretty soon the sports writers will scrap the team altogether and nobody will make it.

Why don't some of you that seem to know so much about who deserves to be on the team try and pick the best 15 players in the state out of the hundreds that play and satisfy everybody!
ndsportsnut
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:15 pm

This topic has gone on long enough, nothing is getting accomplished

Topic Locked
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Girls