TV Coverage

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

TV Coverage

Postby rock83 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:26 am

The Tv coverage of the class b girls was not good. Its like they were thinking they didnt need to research and put as much time into it because it is girls. Bill Halter was asked how one team was going to defend the other before the game and his reaction was he hadnt talked to the coach. Well bill you might want to do that before the game. Usually they meet the afternoon before and talk to the coaches to get a fell for the game. Why would you have someone be a sideline reporter for a state tournament that doesnt know anything about girls basketball. He has no idea who the coaches or players are even in his region. I also missed the stories they did on players that didnt make the state tournament. Where was john cole from williston he knows everyone and knows the game? Did he retire? Halter is one of the few that is more interested in d league and u of mary. Moral of the story do you homework before you do a state tournament.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Re: TV Coverage

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:33 am

what kind of garbage is this?
bigpoppakdog

Postby rock83 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:37 am

What is your story no one can have an opinion but you. I think the TV coverage was lacking compared to previous years. If you dont agree log onto a different sight. You must be a TV executive and also a coach of the year every year because you no everything. Its peoples opinion get over it.
bigpoppakdog wrote:what kind of garbage is this?
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:40 am

I guess my credibility is lacking.
bigpoppakdog

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:46 am

Calling out a news reporter on things he did or didn't do without even having the foggiest idea is not cool. Your statements don't deal with opinion, but what you know as FACT. Have news for you "newbie" if you call out people on what they should do and not do, then you better be ready for somebody to jump on that.

Have you talked Halter? Didn't you see the stories on Hillsboro or Washburn? Keep in mind there are more tournaments being run now than they use to with the season's being run at the same time. I just don't think its cool calling out Halter and then telling him what he should do and not do on this forum.
bigpoppakdog

Postby rock83 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:58 am

Just like a coach if you take a job in the public eye, like sports reporter at the state tournament, you should be ready or be criticized for it. The coverage was not as good as the past. He went on air and hadnt talked to one of the head coaches before hand. Do you think that is professional? He doesnt know the girls or girls coaches in the area. Do you think that is professional? My opinon it isnt. Nothing against halter as a person but he didnt do as good of a job as others in the past. This isnt anything that you need to get personally upset about, i just wasnt overly impressed with the coverage. Settle down there is alot more important things in the world than whether nbc was ready for the state tournament or not. If they are to busy with so many state tournaments to have the quality they use to, they may want to look at how they are doing it. Just settle down a bit.

bigpoppakdog wrote:Calling out a news reporter on things he did or didn't do without even having the foggiest idea is not cool. Your statements don't deal with opinion, but what you know as FACT. Have news for you "newbie" if you call out people on what they should do and not do, then you better be ready for somebody to jump on that.

Have you talked Halter? Didn't you see the stories on Hillsboro or Washburn? Keep in mind there are more tournaments being run now than they use to with the season's being run at the same time. I just don't think its cool calling out Halter and then telling him what he should do and not do on this forum.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mandan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:19 pm

rock83 wrote: Where was john cole from williston he knows everyone and knows the game? Did he retire? Halter is one of the few that is more interested in d league and u of mary. Moral of the story do you homework before you do a state tournament.

John Cole is not sent to all the state tournaments. They usually rotate their reporters. I'm guessing that they plan to have him at the state A so he can follow the Williston boys.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:07 pm

I agree with rock83.....the coverage was not good as in previous.......papers as well as as tv, news......it was like, eh girls, or eh class b.........a state title, close game, last second shot and the forum puts the article on the second page, small article too. EDC got the spotlight........I believe they could've done better.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:37 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:I guess my credibility is lacking.

Get over yourself.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby OldSchool » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:26 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:I agree with rock83.....the coverage was not good as in previous.......papers as well as as tv, news......it was like, eh girls, or eh class b.........a state title, close game, last second shot and the forum puts the article on the second page, small article too. EDC got the spotlight........I believe they could've done better.

Lets think about this for a moment luvmy3gbb1wr???? Did the Forum have a local interest in the game. Absolutely not. Obviously they are going to cover the East Region its right in town that seems like a no brainer to me, and the logical thing to do. I believe the Forum did the obvious thing.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby rock83 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:17 pm

How about the bismarck tribune. Kidder county 1st state champions and you will find it at the bottom of the first page. Below WDA championship game. What is bigger?

OldSchool wrote:
luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:I agree with rock83.....the coverage was not good as in previous.......papers as well as as tv, news......it was like, eh girls, or eh class b.........a state title, close game, last second shot and the forum puts the article on the second page, small article too. EDC got the spotlight........I believe they could've done better.

Lets think about this for a moment luvmy3gbb1wr???? Did the Forum have a local interest in the game. Absolutely not. Obviously they are going to cover the East Region its right in town that seems like a no brainer to me, and the logical thing to do. I believe the Forum did the obvious thing.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby OldSchool » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:03 pm

rock83 wrote:How about the bismarck tribune. Kidder county 1st state champions and you will find it at the bottom of the first page. Below WDA championship game. What is bigger?

Well rock83 you obviously don't know the answer so I will answer it for you....THE WDA by far and hands down!!! The WDA is the largest avg crowds over three days then any event in the state hands down except for the B Boys. I also know that the WDA tournament has a larger bottom line after everything is done than the State B Boys, so again its not even close.

OldSchool wrote:

OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby toddjames » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:16 pm

Well the difference maker is that the West Region was being held in Bismarck, but I'm still kind of surprised they didn't have that it as a top story with Kidder County being a local team. We had it as a side story, with the third place game as our top, but that was because we didn't have a local team in the Minot Daily coverage area...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rock83 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:21 pm

Bismarck Tribune must have a small coverage area is steele is not in it. Poor judgement. But the tribune has really backed away from class b in favor of class a, wizards, and mary.

toddjames wrote:Well the difference maker is that the West Region was being held in Bismarck, but I'm still kind of surprised they didn't have that it as a top story with Kidder County being a local team. We had it as a side story, with the third place game as our top, but that was because we didn't have a local team in the Minot Daily coverage area...
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:21 pm

OldSchool wrote:
rock83 wrote:How about the bismarck tribune. Kidder county 1st state champions and you will find it at the bottom of the first page. Below WDA championship game. What is bigger?

Well rock83 you obviously don't know the answer so I will answer it for you....THE WDA by far and hands down!!! The WDA is the largest avg crowds over three days then any event in the state hands down except for the B Boys. I also know that the WDA tournament has a larger bottom line after everything is done than the State B Boys, so again its not even close.

OldSchool wrote:

does or does not the Forum sell itself to out of town readers?
then the Forum should keep its subcription limited to Fargo.......you want to host a B tourney....cover it.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:39 pm

the Fargo Forum's majority subscribers are in the Fargo area. With a major event in town..EDC...thats what will be their main focus. such is the case for the Bismarck tribune with the WDA. thats why the Tribune covers the Wizards and Mary more then Kidder County and New Salem...its the local product. there is a reason it is called the "local" paper...it covers the local stories over the statewide stories. I'd be willing the bet that the GF Herald had the B as it's top story while they had 2 teams playing in the EDC...local event/story. Every paper in the state had the Class B in it with a line score. they covered it....if you are a parent and want the long articles for a scrapbook, break the bank and spend $5 for them to send you copies of the local paper where the event is held.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rock83 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:10 pm

I realize that some of you have to stick up for your paper, but realistically there isnt a reason to say that a wizards game is more important than class b championship. There is a reason the bismarck tribune is in trouble financially. Because many of us arent interested in mary, wizards etc. Kidder county should be in your readership if you havent figured it out.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:17 pm

and they are...if you didnt see the article before the KC-HMB regular season game building it up. The one about how htey are playing Linton in the district championship. The one before regionals about how they are trying to get back to state.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Return to Girls