The Alerus

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: The Alerus

Postby NDFAN100 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:22 pm

First of all I graduated from UND and I have always been proud of the facilities at UND and Grand Forks, but I have watched several games of Football at the Alerus and was very impressed, but the Girls Class B Tourney just didn't work for several reasons. My Mother hard a very hard time walking up and down all the steps to the concessions & bathrooms when needed. One must ask why they didn't use the restrooms on the court level? My daughter played and she was wondering why the time clocks weren't used above the baskets, since the score boards were so hard for the players to watch at critical times? The lighting was very good in the facility and the parking was really good as well. Overall, the facility could work if a few things were changed to help accomondate the fans and players a little more.

Does anyone no why their wasn't any pre championship light show etc. to get the crowd and players fired up prior to the tip off? Most of these Girls play many years to make it to the State B and it seems that the NDHSAA is forgeting to make this a special time for the players, students and fans.
NDFAN100
NDPreps Starter

Postby luckyinlife » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:45 pm

Hinsa wrote:The Alerus setup for basketball is terrible in my opinion. There isn't a fan within 30 feet of the court. Absolutely no atmosphere. Seriously, if you watched on TV, did you ever see a fan within view of the main camera angle? It looked like the games were played in an empty auditorium from that main camera angle.

Entrance to the seating from only one side of the court caused a lot of extra people traffic back and forth. And the dippin dots location in the corner of the court caused lines to extend out into the seating area, blocking the view of some fans in the end seating.

Plus, the whole travel thing to the eastern part of the state. Why in the world do we force western teams to travel all the way to the eastern border?

Put all the tournaments except hockey and football in Bismarck and Minot and leave them there. Hockey needs to be at the Ralph. Football needs to be in a dome. Baseball in Jamestown is fine too - they have a great ballpark.

Amen to what Hinsa said. Besides all of the other drawbacks mentioned, I would add that the ceiling is so high that you cannot hear any of the cheering from the fans. And that really takes away from the atmosphere when you don't hear the cheering.

BTW, I was in Scheels Friday night during the second night game, and I couldn't find a TV in Scheels with the game on. And I don't imagine you will hear any apologies from them. GF is a hockey town.
luckyinlife
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:52 pm

NDFAN100 wrote:First of all I graduated from UND and I have always been proud of the facilities at UND and Grand Forks, but I have watched several games of Football at the Alerus and was very impressed, but the Girls Class B Tourney just didn't work for several reasons. My Mother hard a very hard time walking up and down all the steps to the concessions & bathrooms when needed. One must ask why they didn't use the restrooms on the court level? My daughter played and she was wondering why the time clocks weren't used above the baskets, since the score boards were so hard for the players to watch at critical times? The lighting was very good in the facility and the parking was really good as well. Overall, the facility could work if a few things were changed to help accomondate the fans and players a little more.

Does anyone no why their wasn't any pre championship light show etc. to get the crowd and players fired up prior to the tip off? Most of these Girls play many years to make it to the State B and it seems that the NDHSAA is forgeting to make this a special time for the players, students and fans.

I questioned before that since its a football arena does it take the lights longer to reboot after being shut off??
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby 07ndgolfer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:54 pm

baseball wrote:
NDFAN100 wrote:First of all I graduated from UND and I have always been proud of the facilities at UND and Grand Forks, but I have watched several games of Football at the Alerus and was very impressed, but the Girls Class B Tourney just didn't work for several reasons. My Mother hard a very hard time walking up and down all the steps to the concessions & bathrooms when needed. One must ask why they didn't use the restrooms on the court level? My daughter played and she was wondering why the time clocks weren't used above the baskets, since the score boards were so hard for the players to watch at critical times? The lighting was very good in the facility and the parking was really good as well. Overall, the facility could work if a few things were changed to help accomondate the fans and players a little more.

I questioned before that since its a football arena does it take the lights longer to reboot after being shut off??

If I remember right, i think they shut them off at the state B boys in the dome last year... not sure though
07ndgolfer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDFAN100 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:35 am

Apparently you have never been involved in a State Championship as a player or had a child that has participated, because the video and light show is no GIMMICK as you quoted. I guess your more worried about the all tourney selections only and not what all the other particpants feel.

scc wrote:The TV cameras behind the backboards would not allow for the clocks to be used above the baskets.

The NDHSAA has nothing to do with any light shows, etc. That is up to the venue. Personally, I like it when those things are kept at a minimum. It's the state championship game! If you need a light snow and other such gimmicks, something is wrong.

I still prefer Minot or Bismarck for basketball. The Alerus did a pretty decent job, but not having the all-tournament team announced at the venue was a joke!
NDFAN100
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDFAN100 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:47 am

I have no problem with you going to watch the game, but don't call things "GIMMICKS" when you havn't been there.
scc wrote:
NDFAN100 wrote:Apparently you have never been involved in a State Championship as a player or had a child that has participated, because the video and light show is no GIMMICK as you quoted. I guess your more worried about the all tourney selections only and not what all the other particpants feel.

scc wrote:The TV cameras behind the backboards would not allow for the clocks to be used above the baskets.

The NDHSAA has nothing to do with any light shows, etc. That is up to the venue. Personally, I like it when those things are kept at a minimum. It's the state championship game! If you need a light snow and other such gimmicks, something is wrong.

I still prefer Minot or Bismarck for basketball. The Alerus did a pretty decent job, but not having the all-tournament team announced at the venue was a joke!

I go to the game to see the game.
NDFAN100
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:20 am

NDFAN100 wrote:Apparently you have never been involved in a State Championship as a player or had a child that has participated, because the video and light show is no GIMMICK as you quoted. I guess your more worried about the all tourney selections only and not what all the other particpants feel.

It is a gimmick, just as is playing music during timeouts and before tip-off. its an unnessecary "activity". if its not a gimmick, what is it? if they wanna do stuff with lights and spot lights thats fine, but i dont think im alone in the fact that it wouldnt and doesnt bother me when they dont. I played in a state championship and the fact that there was no "light show"..although it was outside, special introductions, or any pregame festivites, no fireworks after the game does not take away that that was the greatest night of my life so far. What does a light show add to the game other then giving the 5 year olds a chance to scream at what they think is the coolest thing ever.

If i were a coach i would prefer it that way, that they not do anything special. I want the players to be focused on it jsut like any other game so they dont feel the pressure. a big light show just emphasizes that its bigger then just a normal game...and yea, it is...but thats not what i want my team thinking 4 minutes before tipoff
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Milkman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:44 pm

Gimmick
–noun
1. an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal. 2. a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a plan or deal: An offer that good must have a gimmick in it somewhere.
3. a hidden mechanical device by which a magician works a trick or a gambler controls a game of chance.
4. Electronics Informal. a capacitor formed by intertwining two insulated wires.

Yes you would be correct to classify a spotlight introduction as a gimmick. And I would agree that I don't feel it is abosolutely neccesary but I do think IMO it has become part of the State B experience. I don't think that not having one would ruin the State B but I also don't think having one ruins it either.
Let’s go cut down some nets boys.

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby toddjames » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:16 pm

A state championship game is not just any other game and it should be treated that way. Make it the biggest deal possible for the players and fans alike. Sure it's about playing the game of basketball and that should be the most important thing, but people drive hundreds of miles and pay good money at the state tournament, not to mention all hard work the teams put into making state and the state title game. I think the light show is just a way to reward them and make the experience that much more special... not quite as special as winning it all, but still if something enhances the experience... why not?
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 3girlsbbmom » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:24 pm

I couldnt agree with you more "Todd James' playing in the state championship should have a special tone set to it, but it was just like any other game. And after it was over it didnt take long forthem to start turning the lights off! Poor run tournament, we were all disappointed, I hope they never get it back or the boys either. Keep it in Bismarck or Minot.
3girlsbbmom
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:40 pm

3girlsbbmom wrote:I couldnt agree with you more "Todd James' playing in the state championship should have a special tone set to it, but it was just like any other game. And after it was over it didnt take long forthem to start turning the lights off! Poor run tournament, we were all disappointed, I hope they never get it back or the boys either. Keep it in Bismarck or Minot.

I don't think we have to worry about the boys tourney being there. There is no way that the Alerus could hold the capacity for the state boys bball tourney
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:44 pm

toddjames, you arent a coach are u? my guess is a parent who is upset the red carpet wasnt rolled out for his daughter for the state tournament. they're playing on tv. getting interviewed by news channels and papers across the state. having welcome home parties. going away pep rallies. a free 3 day, some teams 4 day, vacation with all expenses payed by the school...transportation, meals, lodging. but they earned a spotlight coming down from the rafters like they dont get any rewards for making state to begin with.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Girls