The 3 class plan

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

The 3 class plan

Postby larrybird33 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:55 pm

There is a discussion ongoing in "Hot Topics" about the 3 class plan. Check it out if you want more background than I'm providing. I thought I'd bring it to the Class B girls' basketball board because the girls this year have debunked the myth that we need this plan.

Only 10 of the final 32 (regional semifinalist) girls basketball teams were from "big" class B schools that would be moved up under the 3 class plan. Only 6 of the final 16 (regional finalists), and only TWO of the eight state qualifiers are "big" class B schools (Standing Rock and Hazen). Standing Rock and Hazen play each other in the first round, so it's guaranteed that three of the final four will be small schools, and at least one small school will make the championship game.

I should also point out that zero private schools qualified for state this year. Old school class B fans should be happy about that, though I could care less.

The NDHSAA, it appears, is going to ignore the majority of schools who want to keep class B as it is, in order to cater to a small but noisy minority. Are they also going to ignore the entire girls' postseason, which has shot down every claim made by the supporters of the 3 class plan?
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Re: The 3 class plan

Postby Milkman » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Usually I'd say something like, "there is already a topic for this in _____, please post there" but with this topic Im glad to see it coming up in so many different places and so many times. Keep people aware and informed.
Let’s go cut down some nets boys.

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby ProudPirate » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:04 am

As a participant school in the Class B girls this is a good spot for the posts. So far I am disappointed in the tournment and we haven't begun yet. We have been limited in the number of tickets, far less than last year. Last year we were 'stacked' with our fans and ended up behind another team higher up. So I'm not excited that we were given even less seats. Our administration has been calling to find more seats for our fans. Also, and worse, is that there are no rooms reserved for the community, No rooms for the parents, everyone is on there own!
With 2 other events going on in G.F. rooms are at a premium. The only thing good is that we are only 2 hours drive and alot of our fans will be driving! Which brings me to my point, if we go to a 3 class system the state tournaments will be combined, boys & girls, where are we going to stay? If the host town can't find rooms for the teams and parents for 8 teams how is that going to work for 16 teams??
Class B has fans from the whole community and surrounding areas, now, alot of these fans won't be able to attend because of accomadations. I would bet that if the NDHSAA board members that are going to these tournaments don't have to find their own rooms. I truley hope that the board listens to the majority and not just the 'vocal' few.
Good luck to all participants and GO PIRATES!!!!!!!!!
ProudPirate
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:17 am

ProudPirate wrote:As a participant school in the Class B girls this is a good spot for the posts. So far I am disappointed in the tournment and we haven't begun yet. We have been limited in the number of tickets, far less than last year. Last year we were 'stacked' with our fans and ended up behind another team higher up. So I'm not excited that we were given even less seats. Our administration has been calling to find more seats for our fans. Also, and worse, is that there are no rooms reserved for the community, No rooms for the parents, everyone is on there own!
With 2 other events going on in G.F. rooms are at a premium. The only thing good is that we are only 2 hours drive and alot of our fans will be driving! Which brings me to my point, if we go to a 3 class system the state tournaments will be combined, boys & girls, where are we going to stay? If the host town can't find rooms for the teams and parents for 8 teams how is that going to work for 16 teams??
Class B has fans from the whole community and surrounding areas, now, alot of these fans won't be able to attend because of accomadations. I would bet that if the NDHSAA board members that are going to these tournaments don't have to find their own rooms. I truley hope that the board listens to the majority and not just the 'vocal' few.
Good luck to all participants and GO PIRATES!!!!!!!!!

I agree with alot of your points, except the room stuff. That's why people who think their team has a shot to go start reserving rooms long before state.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:06 am

The Class B State tournaments are such big events that so many fans go just watch good basketball, not just to bandwagon if their town goes. It is really hard to get to State B--many outstanding teams are out. Many fans got their rooms a year ago. Thats why a 3-class system would really hurt ND high school basketball. After a while, everyone will expect to compete at state, and if you don't make eventually, you will be considered bad.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby tellmeaboutit » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:00 am

scoobyx2 wrote:The Class B State tournaments are such big events that so many fans go just watch good basketball, not just to bandwagon if their town goes. It is really hard to get to State B--many outstanding teams are out. Many fans got their rooms a year ago. Thats why a 3-class system would really hurt ND high school basketball. After a while, everyone will expect to compete at state, and if you don't make eventually, you will be considered bad.

Today everyone expects to go to state. Not because they've worked hard, but because it's their "right". They "pay to play", and they should go!!!
Seriously, years ago getting to the Regional Tournament was a big deal. Now 4 teams from every District go. Soon the State 'B' Tourney will just be a watered down version of something that used to be great.
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Batman » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:53 pm

But at least Valley City will have a shot. That's all that the NDHSAA cares about. :evil:

ndhsaa.com@sendit.nodak.edu
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby larrybird33 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:17 pm

tellmeaboutit wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:The Class B State tournaments are such big events that so many fans go just watch good basketball, not just to bandwagon if their town goes. It is really hard to get to State B--many outstanding teams are out. Many fans got their rooms a year ago. Thats why a 3-class system would really hurt ND high school basketball. After a while, everyone will expect to compete at state, and if you don't make eventually, you will be considered bad.

Today everyone expects to go to state. Not because they've worked hard, but because it's their "right". They "pay to play", and they should go!!!
Seriously, years ago getting to the Regional Tournament was a big deal. Now 4 teams from every District go. Soon the State 'B' Tourney will just be a watered down version of something that used to be great.

It has always been the case that four teams from every district go to the regional tournament. I think your point is that it's now 4 out of 6 or 4 out of 7 teams in many districts. A decade ago, most districts had 8-10 teams.

A girl in high school right now already has a better chance of advancing to the regional and state tournaments than her older sister did 10 years ago. The trend will continue. So why do we need to add another tournament?
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby scramblinfran » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:43 pm

Not sure exactly when, but up until the early 90's only 2 teams from each district went to the Regional Tournament. I know a lot of good teams that lost in the District semi's and never got to give it a go in the Regionals.
scramblinfran
NDPreps Starter

Postby larrybird33 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:28 pm

Ok we're both right in a way... there used to be 32 districts, therefore only 2 teams qualified per district.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:11 am

scramblinfran wrote:Not sure exactly when, but up until the early 90's only 2 teams from each district went to the Regional Tournament. I know a lot of good teams that lost in the District semi's and never got to give it a go in the Regionals.

Also, when you lost in the semi finals in districts back then, you were done. You played for the 3rd place trophy and went home. There weren't challenge games and double elimination. The regular season games seem to be a little more important.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:17 am

I think in the late 80's early 90's they dropped the number of districts down to 24. Three districts made up each region. The 6 teams in the champ game of the districts went to regions, then it came down to the 3 third place teams. The team with the worst record was left out.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby mike thingstad » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:02 pm

ProudPirate wrote:As a participant school in the Class B girls this is a good spot for the posts. So far I am disappointed in the tournment and we haven't begun yet. We have been limited in the number of tickets, far less than last year. Last year we were 'stacked' with our fans and ended up behind another team higher up. So I'm not excited that we were given even less seats. Our administration has been calling to find more seats for our fans. Also, and worse, is that there are no rooms reserved for the community, No rooms for the parents, everyone is on there own!
Good luck to all participants and GOPIRATES!!!!!!!!!

This is because GF only important event is hockey, that all they care about, they shouldn't have any other tourney. I'll bet the other events in town are hockey that have been planned for a while.
mike thingstad
NDPreps Starter

Postby coachh » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:23 pm

I believe the 3-class plan is a good thing. There may be a few kinks to work out, such as the tournament formats. However I do believe the time has come. Our current basketball/volleyball format is 40-50 years old. It has served us well. But ND is not the same state we were 40-50 years ago. Previous arguments posted here have mentioned 32 to 24 to 16 district for an example. I don't buy the argument about cheapening a state championship. Used to be no state football championships. Then there were 3, and now 4. Try telling a 9-man player that his championship since there have been 4 divisions is cheaper than the championship earned when there were 3. I don't think so.
coachh
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDplayin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:18 am

coachh wrote:I believe the 3-class plan is a good thing. There may be a few kinks to work out, such as the tournament formats. However I do believe the time has come. Our current basketball/volleyball format is 40-50 years old. It has served us well. But ND is not the same state we were 40-50 years ago. Previous arguments posted here have mentioned 32 to 24 to 16 district for an example. I don't buy the argument about cheapening a state championship. Used to be no state football championships. Then there were 3, and now 4. Try telling a 9-man player that his championship since there have been 4 divisions is cheaper than the championship earned when there were 3. I don't think so.

Interesting outlook Coachh. You should check out this thread in 'Hot Topics'. It is a much more active and detailed thread on the subject. There are some who agree with you and others who would be interested in your points. For example, you mentioned that we continue to get fewer and fewer schools in ND (32 to 24 to 16 districts). Does it make sense to add a class when losing schools?

Hope to see you in Hot Topics.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Girls