2009 State Girls B Basketball

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2009 State Girls B Basketball

Postby tingly » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:37 pm

The main thing that bugs me about it is while you're reacting to a call, your head isn't in the game.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:59 pm

The last possession proves that Class B basketball needs a shot clock. Kidder Co. held onto the ball for 65 seconds at the end.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby HometownHigh » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:29 pm

GoodO'LBoy wrote:The last possession proves that Class B basketball needs a shot clock. Kidder Co. held onto the ball for 65 seconds at the end.

..and won the game. THere are already officials that babysit the players, you don't need a clock to babysit also. PLAY DEFENSE. Games that are 72-73 are nothing but run and gun shoot outs - no defense either end. Not a game, but a shooting exhibition. No contest there. Take the competition out, add a shot clock. Kill the game
HometownHigh
NDPreps Starter

Postby HometownHigh » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:33 pm

Hoot12 wrote:Well, it hard to believe that some of you think FLPR is just lucky and are wondering if they can keep this up. They had suffocating defence against a good #3 Rank Hillsboro team to beat them in the regional championship game. They beat the #8 ranked (Kenmare) team that some were predicting to win it all and now they knocked of the #1 ranked (Hazen) team, and o'by the way they only have one loss on the year and that was to Hillsboro? So are they really that lucky?
Secondly, I do agree that they can go over board with their attitudes and emotions on the floor but sometimes emotion, passion and frustration in a game is not all bad. Emotions play a big part in high school sports and that is some of what make class B basketball what it is today.
If it is as bad as some people on this site are describing why was there not technical fouls called? There was a couple in the ealier game today but no one has commented on that yet and how unprofessional that was (ITS PART OF THE GAME)?

FLPR has done what it takes to win and they are a good team! Good lucky in the championship game.

It appears as tho you agree with the "luckY" part of this scenario I agree, lucky. :P :P
HometownHigh
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:33 pm

GoodO'LBoy wrote:The last possession proves that Class B basketball needs a shot clock. Kidder Co. held onto the ball for 65 seconds at the end.

Anybody that watched this years tournament got to witness class b basketball at its best. This years could possibly go down as the best yet to date. This IS and should ALWAYS be how class b is played. Let the players decide the outcome not a clock.
bigpoppakdog

Postby number_one_fan » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:58 pm

I love how nobody has talked about the success of FLPR this year up until they prove themselves to you guys by beating #1 Hazen in the semifinals. You guys watch three games and just pick them apart because they have "bad attitudes." I will agree that they play very passionate and want to win just as bad as everyone else. It was a great tournament by all teams, and nobody ever gets all the calls they want. In the heat of the game, most don't agree with all the calls that go against them. Congrats FLPR on a great season and a great tournament!
number_one_fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby super10 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:04 pm

I don't understand why everyone is bashing on the FLPR players for playing with passion that they did. So they may get worked up over a play or a call, but many players do, and arent be called out on it. Alot of those girls put there whole heart into each and every game, because they want to do well, and apparently it has paid off, 2nd at state is pretty impressive, and the game could have very easily went the other way. congrats to KC on the state championship, and congrats FLPR on a great season.
super10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:05 pm

Passion to me was watching Eli Benz being interviewed, not seeing FLPR players roll their eyes, shake their heads, put their hands up in their air whenever a call was made against them. Also note, there is not one other team talked about and their "passionate" attitudes for the game.
bigpoppakdog

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:08 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:

Anybody that watched this years tournament got to witness class b basketball at its best. This years could possibly go down as the best yet to date. This IS and should ALWAYS be how class b is played. Let the players decide the outcome not a clock.

I agree, ive always been a believer of if you want the ball back, get out and play defense. Class B doesnt have a shot clock, but it still has a 5 second rule. make the offense make a play...if you just sit back that gives them every chance to hold it as long as they want.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:10 pm

super10 wrote:I don't understand why everyone is bashing on the FLPR players for playing with passion that they did. So they may get worked up over a play or a call, but many players do, and arent be called out on it. Alot of those girls put there whole heart into each and every game, because they want to do well, and apparently it has paid off, 2nd at state is pretty impressive, and the game could have very easily went the other way. congrats to KC on the state championship, and congrats FLPR on a great season.

I suggest getting the game tapes and watching how many times the eyes rolled, heads shook, arms went up in the air after a call against them. I would bet, it would be at or above 90% of the time. In fact, I would bet you saw that more from FLPR in one game than all of the other teams combined throughout the rest of the tournament. Simply put, people viewed it as not very sportsmanlike. Nobody said it was illegal, or should have gotten a technical foul or anything like that. I for one agree, their "passion" for the game was not well displayed by their reactions after the call. They did however play very hard and well this year and I will try to remember them for that, versus their reactions after the call.
bigpoppakdog

Postby Hoot12 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:11 pm

Are you bunch of babies done bitching yet? Talk about edicate READ THE FORMS RULES::::
No complaining about players, coaches, teams ,officals, fans etc. That all a couple of you have done since you starting writing on this forum.
Last edited by Hoot12 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoot12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:14 pm

go home newbie. Been here a lot longer than three days like you.
bigpoppakdog

Postby number_one_fan » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:17 pm

Way to act like the most mature blogger her bigpappakdog.......... :roll: Theres one more for you to complain about.
number_one_fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:24 pm

takes a lot of brass after 8 days to tell people about forum rules who were around before it was northdakotapreps.com. Back then it was nasty, no holds barred. Could say anything you want about somebody. The new northdakotapreps.com has cleaned up a lot. So, to say this is a bunch of babies when we are discussing behaviors of certain players and if it is sportsmanlike or not and you have been a member for 8 days is pretty brash. Seems like there has been a lot of newbies who come online and start making rules...get's pretty annoying especially when talk about things and then are wrong. Don't even bother to acknowledge it.
bigpoppakdog

Postby 9manfootballmom » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:59 pm

Hey guys...didn't other teams get technical fouls, too? I just listened on the radio most of the time but it seems to me there were more T's than normal. Any insight to other teams that got tee'd up?

MOM
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 9manfootballmom » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks...So the flpr didn't get one? So then I am curious? why aren't you guys talking about the teams that did get the technicals?
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 9manfootballmom » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:20 pm

scc wrote:
9manfootballmom wrote:Thanks...So the flpr didn't get one? So then I am curious? why aren't you guys talking about the teams that did get the technicals?

Good question, right? I haven't seen any mention of FLPR and their fans winning the spirit award here, either.

I think the spirit award only goes to one team, right? So that wouldn't be such a shocker. But...do they still give the sportsmanship banners? All teams used to be eligible for that.
Last edited by 9manfootballmom on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportfan2007 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:23 pm

Does anybody know why they didn't present the all tournament team at the state tourney like they have in the past ? I thought maybe they just didn't show it on tv, but I tried finding a listing in the Fargo Forum, but couldn't find it there either.
sportfan2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby 9manfootballmom » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:25 pm

It was in the Bismarck Tribune today.
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby super10 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:28 pm

I don't know why they didn't announce the team, infact i was wondering the same question. This is the list from the Grand Forks Herald.
Lexi Erickson, Katie Ralston and Tessa Zahradka of FLPR, as did Casey Geffre of Hankinson, Shelby Wetzel of New Rockford-Sheyenne, Shauna Long of Standing Rock, Kendra Miller of Kenmare and Allison Opp and Stef Bohrer of Hazen. Lindsey Sand and Eli Benz of Kidder County. Benz was also the MVP.
super10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby redinstant » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:44 pm

Anyone have an injury update on the girl from the Flyers??? I heard she had to go to the hospital?
redinstant
NDPreps Reserve

Postby adriana » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:06 pm

Hoot12 wrote:Are you bunch of babies done bitching yet? Talk about edicate READ THE FORMS RULES::::
No complaining about players, coaches, teams ,officals, fans etc. That all a couple of you have done since you starting writing on this forum.

Hmm...somehow I don't think calling everyone a "bunch of babies" and asking if they're "done bitching yet" is proper edicate. And how would you know what everyone has been saying since they came on this site? You've been on here for what? a week?... :roll:

scc wrote:I believe there were five technical fouls in the tournament: 2 for Hankinson, 2 for Kenmare, 1 for Stanley

So what were those technicals for? I'm assuming they weren't on the televised games because I didn't see them.
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby ProudPirate » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:50 pm

I believe that the technical for stanley was from some unnecessary (i'm trying to say this nicely) actions that were done during a sequence of events leading up to a foul. The player made a statement to a ref and he asked if she wanted to repeat it AND she did. 1st T. Expanding on that I think if the player would have shown some common sense and kept quiet nothing more would have been done.
One of the fouls for Kenmare and one for Hankinson was a double technical on 2 players that were getting themselves alittle rough and jawing going on. Finally came to the point of pushing at center court. 2nd - 3rd T's
The other calls were bench calls trying to get the teams & coaches under control.
This was the worst refree called game I've seen at a state tournament. Unfortunately it will be one refree spoiling the whole tournament. I have no problems with the other officials, i thought they did some good games.
It just so happens that the refree that T'd up the Hankinson coach was the same ref that blew the call the day before on the out-of-bouds play that gave NRS the ball back w/ 6secs. So when the game started the fans weren't really to impressed immediately and began to questons alot of calls, which in turn made him make some more "bad" calls. It just came down to the fact that his crew lost control and needed to do something. What I was turned off by was they way the Tech was given. The coach no more than stood up and she was T'd then he proceeded to the scorers table and turned directly to our fans as if to say "I'm in charge and i can do what I want".
Directly after that game the same refree came into the coaches/officials hospitality room and make fun of the calls he made, specificly the T on the coach. He was sitting at a table with some other people. What he didn't know was that one of the Hankinson Coaches was also in the room and could hear most of the conversation. THIS IS COMPLETELY UNPROFESSIONABLE!
Now I don't believe his bad call at the end of the NRS game was the reason for the loss. It was a terrible call, watch the replay, it was a terrible call! There were many things the pirates should have done before it got to that part, and we can get into that if anyone would like to, but how he handled himself after the 2 games was childish.
Rumor says he was in the bar at the CanadInn after the second game on Friday. Yes he was, he had every right to be there, however if he would have been smart he could've moved to another area and not taken the seat directly adjacent to some Hankinson fans. And believe me, some of them feel he was the reason we were not in the Championship game, so just let it go and leave but he didn't.
Overall I didn't seem to have any issues with the refereeing other than 1 guy that many people felt shouldn't be there. So inconclusion yes 5 technicals 3 players & 2 coaches.
This is just my opinion and if I missed something I apologize.
ProudPirate
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:22 am

9manfootballmom wrote:
scc wrote:
9manfootballmom wrote:Thanks...So the flpr didn't get one? So then I am curious? why aren't you guys talking about the teams that did get the technicals?

Good question, right? I haven't seen any mention of FLPR and their fans winning the spirit award here, either.

I think the spirit award only goes to one team, right? So that wouldn't be such a shocker. But...do they still give the sportsmanship banners? All teams used to be eligible for that.

I dont konw if they still give them out, but i remember as long as your team or crowd didnt get T'd up, you got a sportsmanship award. that said, the terrible sports that FLPR were, they would have been/were 1 of the 5 teams to get one....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:40 am

HometownHigh wrote:

..and won the game. THere are already officials that babysit the players, you don't need a clock to babysit also. PLAY DEFENSE. Games that are 72-73 are nothing but run and gun shoot outs - no defense either end. Not a game, but a shooting exhibition. No contest there. Take the competition out, add a shot clock. Kill the game

How does that kill the game? It makes teams have to perform in the clutch. My biggest pet peeve is when a team sits on the ball at the end of the game for 50 seconds or however long Kidder County did at the end. Don't get me wrong, it's in the rules and that's the "proper strategy" to win the game, but that's not basketball. If there was a shot clock the teams wouldn't think like that and they'd be aggressive the whole game. The game would be so much better. If you think about it how much would a 30 second shot clock really change the game? Do any teams really take more than that to try to score for the first 30 minutes of the game? No, they don't. But in the last two minutes they start stalling and "only shoot lay-ups" because they're not playing to win, they're playing not to lose. I love watching class b basketball because the fans are awesome, the players are all going all out, but once it gets to "clutch time" nobody wants to step up and shoot the ball. People start playing scared, tenative, and totally disregard the gameplan from the previous 30 minutes of play. It's always bothered me, whether playing a game or watching a game.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Girls