2009 State Girls B Basketball

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2009 State Girls B Basketball

Postby tingly » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:52 am

FLPR happily let KC sit on the ball, though. FLPR was too tired to defend a spread offense. Best to rest and avoid fouling, gamble on making the stop, and go into OT with Benz nearly fouled out.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bob Holiday » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:19 am

When you're playing a basketball game in a state tournament, you play to win, not to please anyone's sense of whats right and what's wrong. The whining about KC holding the ball is pretty pathetic. If you don't like it I suggest you find yourself a different spectator sport.
Bob Holiday
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:12 am

It was a good point that flpr did not get any technicals. Their behavior, borderline, never did cross the line. Having said that though, a team that got a technical for whatever reason still in my mind, does mean they have worse behavior. I did find it at most annoying. Not unsportsmanlike. I would like to remember flpr as a team that was one shot away from winning the title, versus the reactions they gave after the call was made. The one award that has no "politics" behind it is the award that says what place your team earned. I'm sure flpr players were concerned with that award, not any other award. First place or spirit award?? Hmmmmm seems like that would be an easy choice on which one a guy would want.

Congrats FLPR on a great season. You earned it.
bigpoppakdog

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:21 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
HometownHigh wrote:
GoodO'LBoy wrote:The last possession proves that Class B basketball needs a shot clock. Kidder Co. held onto the ball for 65 seconds at the end.

..and won the game. THere are already officials that babysit the players, you don't need a clock to babysit also. PLAY DEFENSE. Games that are 72-73 are nothing but run and gun shoot outs - no defense either end. Not a game, but a shooting exhibition. No contest there. Take the competition out, add a shot clock. Kill the game

How does that kill the game? It makes teams have to perform in the clutch. My biggest pet peeve is when a team sits on the ball at the end of the game for 50 seconds or however long Kidder County did at the end. Don't get me wrong, it's in the rules and that's the "proper strategy" to win the game, but that's not basketball. If there was a shot clock the teams wouldn't think like that and they'd be aggressive the whole game. The game would be so much better. If you think about it how much would a 30 second shot clock really change the game? Do any teams really take more than that to try to score for the first 30 minutes of the game? No, they don't. But in the last two minutes they start stalling and "only shoot lay-ups" because they're not playing to win, they're playing not to lose. I love watching class b basketball because the fans are awesome, the players are all going all out, but once it gets to "clutch time" nobody wants to step up and shoot the ball. People start playing scared, tenative, and totally disregard the gameplan from the previous 30 minutes of play. It's always bothered me, whether playing a game or watching a game.

I respectfully disagree. Basketball was started without a shot clock and without a zone defense. If you did not want them to have the last shot then play them mano emano and make them do something. The only game where a shot clock even could remotely be discussed in Class B was back in the late 80's during the infamous 4-2 game. The only thing that could ruin class b more is to install a shot clock. The main argument against it, is that the only time you see a team hold on the ball for more than 30 seconds or so in Class B is at the end of the half or the end of the 4th quarter. Plus, I think it makes it interesting to see a team try to slow down the game to make the tempo in their favor.

I don't think you'll get a complete agreement on this one. Those of us who played w/o a shot clock don't really understand the need for one, those of you who did probably couldn't imagine playing w/o one. I never had to play with a shot clock, maybe I would change my mind if I did?

I just thought the ending to the game could not have been more exciting.
bigpoppakdog

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:25 am

adriana wrote:
Hoot12 wrote:Are you bunch of babies done bitching yet? Talk about edicate READ THE FORMS RULES::::
No complaining about players, coaches, teams ,officals, fans etc. That all a couple of you have done since you starting writing on this forum.

Hmm...somehow I don't think calling everyone a "bunch of babies" and asking if they're "done bitching yet" is proper edicate. And how would you know what everyone has been saying since they came on this site? You've been on here for what? a week?... :roll:

[/quote]

Maybe both of you should use a little "etiquette" and not use curse words in your posts.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby hook » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:14 am

I would like to say congradulations to the champs of the stade KIDDER COUNTY! I would also like to say congrats to the FLPR flyers for winning the spirit award, they played great defense in this tournament and deserve a lot of respect. Both teams have a lot of class and i thank them both for the great game. As for the people jabbering about the attitudes of the FLPR girls... it seems like there are some sour grapes because its the same people over and over... its time to let it go... jelousy is a stinky cologne!
hook
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:18 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
HometownHigh wrote:
GoodO'LBoy wrote:The last possession proves that Class B basketball needs a shot clock. Kidder Co. held onto the ball for 65 seconds at the end.

..and won the game. THere are already officials that babysit the players, you don't need a clock to babysit also. PLAY DEFENSE. Games that are 72-73 are nothing but run and gun shoot outs - no defense either end. Not a game, but a shooting exhibition. No contest there. Take the competition out, add a shot clock. Kill the game

How does that kill the game? It makes teams have to perform in the clutch. My biggest pet peeve is when a team sits on the ball at the end of the game for 50 seconds or however long Kidder County did at the end. Don't get me wrong, it's in the rules and that's the "proper strategy" to win the game, but that's not basketball. If there was a shot clock the teams wouldn't think like that and they'd be aggressive the whole game. The game would be so much better. If you think about it how much would a 30 second shot clock really change the game? Do any teams really take more than that to try to score for the first 30 minutes of the game? No, they don't. But in the last two minutes they start stalling and "only shoot lay-ups" because they're not playing to win, they're playing not to lose. I love watching class b basketball because the fans are awesome, the players are all going all out, but once it gets to "clutch time" nobody wants to step up and shoot the ball. People start playing scared, tenative, and totally disregard the gameplan from the previous 30 minutes of play. It's always bothered me, whether playing a game or watching a game.

I respectfully disagree. Basketball was started without a shot clock and without a zone defense. If you did not want them to have the last shot then play them mano emano and make them do something. The only game where a shot clock even could remotely be discussed in Class B was back in the late 80's during the infamous 4-2 game. The only thing that could ruin class b more is to install a shot clock. The main argument against it, is that the only time you see a team hold on the ball for more than 30 seconds or so in Class B is at the end of the half or the end of the 4th quarter. Plus, I think it makes it interesting to see a team try to slow down the game to make the tempo in their favor.

I don't think you'll get a complete agreement on this one. Those of us who played w/o a shot clock don't really understand the need for one, those of you who did probably couldn't imagine playing w/o one. I never had to play with a shot clock, maybe I would change my mind if I did?

I just thought the ending to the game could not have been more exciting.

I've played with both and honestly didnt see a difference. If a team is playing hard defense, it takes more work for a team to hold on to the ball for a minute then look for a shot. so its either that or sit back, let them hold it, then complain about a shot clock.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby tingly » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:25 pm

As long as there are teams that take 20+ seconds to get the ball into the front court against a press, shot clocks are gonna be a tough sell.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:02 pm

tingly wrote:As long as there are teams that take 20+ seconds to get the ball into the front court against a press, shot clocks are gonna be a tough sell.

thats why there's a rule that you only get 10 seconds to do that.....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby philshometown » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:25 pm

9manfootballmom wrote:
scc wrote:
9manfootballmom wrote:Thanks...So the flpr didn't get one? So then I am curious? why aren't you guys talking about the teams that did get the technicals?

Good question, right? I haven't seen any mention of FLPR and their fans winning the spirit award here, either.

I think the spirit award only goes to one team, right? So that wouldn't be such a shocker. But...do they still give the sportsmanship banners? All teams used to be eligible for that.

The FLPR fans demonstrated The most spirit by far....good to see the support from those communities! ....and that they did receive the award.
In basketball -- as in life -- true joy comes from being fully present in each and every moment, not just when things are going your way.

PHIL JACKSON, Sacred Hoops
philshometown
NDPreps Starter

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:14 pm

Bob Holiday wrote:When you're playing a basketball game in a state tournament, you play to win, not to please anyone's sense of whats right and what's wrong. The whining about KC holding the ball is pretty pathetic. If you don't like it I suggest you find yourself a different spectator sport.

First off, I would hardly consider any comments about KC holding the ball for 1:05 to end the game whinning. The game was awsome. In my opinion, it would have been a much more exciting ending if there was a shot clock. There could have been many more possible scenarios to play out at the end of the game. This is where good coaches would stand out.

If you don't like people discussing basketball strategy, I suggest you find a different website to comment on.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:40 pm

GoodO'LBoy wrote:
Bob Holiday wrote:When you're playing a basketball game in a state tournament, you play to win, not to please anyone's sense of whats right and what's wrong. The whining about KC holding the ball is pretty pathetic. If you don't like it I suggest you find yourself a different spectator sport.

First off, I would hardly consider any comments about KC holding the ball for 1:05 to end the game whinning. The game was awsome. In my opinion, it would have been a much more exciting ending if there was a shot clock. There could have been many more possible scenarios to play out at the end of the game. This is where good coaches would stand out.

If you don't like people discussing basketball strategy, I suggest you find a different website to comment on.

Sand's strategy....hold the ball for one shot, they executed, so they won state. had there been a shot clock he would have had a different stategy. The FLPR coach didnt even have a strategy at the end of the game. If i remember the quote it was "we were playing for OT, Benz had 4 fouls so we thought if we got it to OT it would be a different game." Sand had a plan to win in regulation, where his counterpart was just hoping.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:19 pm

Sand showed several strategies during their run.

#1. NRS had two starters who could not shoot the ball. They did not even come within 10 feet of them when they had the bb. I believe the one girl airballed 3 straight shots.

#2. FLPR had a starter who could/would not shoot. Didn't guard her, she didn't even look to shoot.

#3. If they are not going to guard us we'll take the last shot.

I thought not guarding players in a state tournament would be a big risk, but it certainly paid off.
bigpoppakdog

Postby tingly » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:05 pm

baseball wrote:
tingly wrote:As long as there are teams that take 20+ seconds to get the ball into the front court against a press, shot clocks are gonna be a tough sell.

I thought that was just boys. In California, girls don't even have a backcourt rule.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan_05 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:07 pm

tingly wrote:
baseball wrote:

I thought that was just boys. In California, girls don't even have a backcourt rule.

Rule applies to both in ND.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby tingly » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:14 pm

ah, then change what I said to some other offense-struggling example. :)
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:18 pm

you are thinking of the College women's game where there is NO 10-seconds in the Backcourt Violation!
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby tingly » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:23 pm

Cal high school girls don't have 10-second violations, either. They do have shot clocks, same as college.
tingly
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:32 pm

baseball wrote:
GoodO'LBoy wrote:

Sand's strategy....hold the ball for one shot, they executed, so they won state. had there been a shot clock he would have had a different stategy. The FLPR coach didnt even have a strategy at the end of the game. If i remember the quote it was "we were playing for OT, Benz had 4 fouls so we thought if we got it to OT it would be a different game." Sand had a plan to win in regulation, where his counterpart was just hoping.

So are you disagreeing with me that a shot clock would have added more excitement to the end of the game? At no time in any of my posts was I insulting a coach or speculating what a coaches game plan was. Read it again. I am sure that both of these coaches could handle an end game scenario with a shot clock. Otherwise they probably would not be playing in the state tittle game.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby senser » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:38 pm

Well, first time I've ever watched class B girls. It was fun to watch.

I'm completely ignorant on the rules, but the first time I realized there was no shot clock was at the end of the game when the white team sat on the ball for a minute and then called the TO or whatever. Lame.

I thought the red team was the better team athletically, and I kept waiting for them to break away but they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

I was cheering for the red team most of the game, but the white team's point guard was good, and seemed to stay composed until the game came to her at the end.

The white team had a girl inside I thought was real good, Elaine Bensen (?). She was almost invisible with the exception of a few touches where she did some real good things with, but did a great job taking over.

By the end I was cheering for the white team because they just seemed to do what they could to stay in striking distance and then had control of the game at the end.

Is that Katy Ralsten for the red team playing college somewhere? Is there a place to go to see where ND high school kids are going to play college?
senser
NDPreps Starter

Postby 3girlsbbmom » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:46 pm

Sensor, i dont know what tournament you were watching but apparently it wasnt the same as most everyone else! The white team, which is the Kidder County Lady Pirates, has "ELI BENZ" and if you dont know that name after this weekend you didny see much of the games. Amazing post player, player of the game 2 nights in a row and tournament mvp! Enough said you shouldnt comment when you dont even know the teams names or the players!
3girlsbbmom
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:53 pm

3girlsbbmom wrote:Sensor, i dont know what tournament you were watching but apparently it wasnt the same as most everyone else! The white team, which is the Kidder County Lady Pirates, has "ELI BENZ" and if you dont know that name after this weekend you didny see much of the games. Amazing post player, player of the game 2 nights in a row and tournament mvp! Enough said you shouldnt comment when you dont even know the teams names or the players!

Grow up! Enough said.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:57 pm

I guess i gave him a free pass after he opened with "Well, first time I've ever watched class B girls. It was fun to watch."
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby senser » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:29 pm

Ouch.

I'm sorry. I didn't have the sound turned up all the way because I was doing other things but I was watching the game. I don't know who the teams were or any of the players. I normally just watch volleyball but I'm definitely going to watch basketball next year too. I thought it was neat watching the red team kind of control the pace with their frenetic style, and by the end of the game the Kidder team had control of the game it felt like to me. I don't know. I didn't catch the names because they were all initials and I think the red team was a mix of a couple different schools that I never heard of.

I've seen some of the Fargo class A teams play. The class B was pretty intense because there was so many people into the game. I'll definitely try and follow the teams but there's so many more teams in class B. I know it was the championship game but I really enjoyed the class B game so much more then the Fargo teams that I watched this year. I liked the support that class B gets from the towns I thought that was awesome.
senser
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:51 pm

senser wrote:I'm completely ignorant on the rules, but the first time I realized there was no shot clock was at the end of the game when the white team sat on the ball for a minute and then called the TO or whatever. Lame.

Thank you.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Girls