Who makes all-state team

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Who makes all-state team

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:54 am

She will be a second team, not a first team. Very seldom do they ever put a soph or below on the first team. You have to be basically the best player in the state for that to happen.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:38 am

ndlionsfan wrote:She will be a second team, not a first team. Very seldom do they ever put a soph or below on the first team. You have to be basically the best player in the state for that to happen.

I do agree with you that they very seldom like to put sophmores or younger on the first team, but the media likes to cover the state too. Any thoughts on the best player in that area that may have been overlooked?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:53 pm

Not sure what you mean about the best player in that area that may have been overlooked. The all-state team isn't made up of an equal representation of players from each part of the state. It's also not the media that chooses the all-state team. Coaches from across the state meet and vote on the team sometime during the state tournament.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby q » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:10 pm

It's a media award. NDAPSSA members vote on all-state. Equal representation is not even considered, nor should it be for such an award. It's about having the best players in the state, no matter the location.
q -- the only letter that does not appear in any US state name
q
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsfan10 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:45 pm

anybody know when results are posted?
sportsfan10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:30 pm

q wrote:It's a media award. NDAPSSA members vote on all-state. Equal representation is not even considered, nor should it be for such an award. It's about having the best players in the state, no matter the location.

I do believe it is a media award also, and agree that it isn't based on location, and should be a list of the best players in the state. But I am pretty confident that the media on the eastern side of the state will call their colleagues on the western side, and ask if they should know about a player that they may have overlooked in their initial list.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ProudPirate » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:15 pm

Now what do you mean when you say best players in the state? Do you mean who scores the most, shoots the most, has the most steals, or who plays the best defense. Or is it what do you mean to your team. Too many times all we look at is the scoring. I will take 4 Chloe Wahls & Courtney Titus's everyday over a Shauna Long or Casey Geffre. From what I've seen, especially this year, is that it takes a team to win and that "Defense wins Championships"!!
Just a little behind my reasoning, Shauna Long is an excellent ball handler and terriffic shooter, she dishes off well to her teammates too. But did anbody see her play defense? Looked like she was a little slow in that department. Casey Geffre in point. Watch any one of her games this weekend and you will see that well over 70% of her touches go up in shots, in the 3rd game she was something like 8 for 22 in a little over 2 quarters. Yes she scored but she also fouled out of two games because of her lack of defense. And how do you suppose she was so far in front of everybody on those fast breaks, maybe cause she didn't get back all the way on defense.
Now I'm not trying to pick on any one individually, these are just 2 examples for my question so don't let me have it for badmouthing players because I'm not. I would love to have either one of those girls on my team. :)
Does any other factor get figured in to the all-state selection other than points?
I would hope it is an all-around player both on & off the court, both defense & offense, how does your team perform without them? Any others??
ProudPirate
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bob Holiday » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:41 am

I know being selected to an all-state team involves the entire season of play not just the state tournament, but if I could pick one player to start a team with after watching the games in Grand Forks, there wouldn't be any question in my mind who that player would be. It would be Eli Benz from Kidder County. She is not only talented but she is a winner, something you can't coach.
Bob Holiday
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hook » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:24 am

benz, sand, rolston, opp and zaradka would be my 5 if i was picking a team.
hook
NDPreps Starter

Postby dakota » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:10 pm

An all state player isn't necessarily a person who competed in the state tourney. There are many fantastic players out there that didn't have the opportunity to compete at the state level. I am sure that the media has a certain system in place to make sure that all players are looked at.
dakota
NDPreps Reserve

Postby OldSchool » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Not sure what you mean about the best player in that area that may have been overlooked. The all-state team isn't made up of an equal representation of players from each part of the state. It's also not the media that chooses the all-state team. Coaches from across the state meet and vote on the team sometime during the state tournament.

Are you serious ndlionsfan, wow, come on do you really believe that? Coaches from across the state meet and vote on the team? What do you think that all of the coaches are at the state tournament? ITS A MEDIA AWARD like every all-state team in North Dakota. You sure have a strong opinion when even when your wrong
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby sport » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:45 pm

OldSchool wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Not sure what you mean about the best player in that area that may have been overlooked. The all-state team isn't made up of an equal representation of players from each part of the state. It's also not the media that chooses the all-state team. Coaches from across the state meet and vote on the team sometime during the state tournament.

Are you serious ndlionsfan, wow, come on do you really believe that? Coaches from across the state meet and vote on the team? What do you think that all of the coaches are at the state tournament? ITS A MEDIA AWARD like every all-state team in North Dakota. You sure have a strong opinion when even when your wrong

Old school, I do believe that is the way it is done. At least in volley ball it is, if you want your player to have a chance on the all state, you have to show up at the meeting during the tournament.
sport
NDPreps Starter

Postby OldSchool » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:08 pm

Ok maybe I am wrong but I find it hard to believe that if a kid from Watford City was good enough to be all-state that her coach would have had to driven to GF this weekend in order for her to be on the team no matter what sport it is.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:20 pm

OldSchool wrote:

You are right. In VOLLEYBALL, it is a coaches award. But basketball is a media award and voted on by the media.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sport » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:29 pm

OldSchool wrote:Ok maybe I am wrong but I find it hard to believe that if a kid from Watford City was good enough to be all-state that her coach would have had to driven to GF this weekend in order for her to be on the team no matter what sport it is.

According to Baller I was mistaken. I do know of coaches that attend the state tourney's to state their case in volleyball. Sometimes kids are not known across the state and the coaches need to be there, might be the reason why some very good volley ball players that are not on state tourney teams never get a chance to make all state. I learn something new on this sight every day. :)
sport
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportfan2007 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:13 pm

In basketball I think the All-State team is selected by the media. I remember from last year as where I'm from a select few girls were nominated to be on the ballot.
sportfan2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:33 am

OldSchool wrote:

Sorry, oldschool, maybe I was mistaken. I know volleyball and football all-state is selected by the coaches at the state tournament and at the Dakota Bowl. If you as a coach think you have a chance to get a kid on all-state, you drive all the way to the meeting to state your case and fight for your kid before they vote. I just assumed bball was done the same way. I really don't understand why its not. Why is one all-state award voted on by the media and others by the coaches? By the way, I didn't think I had a strong opinion in my previous post. Seems like you had a stronger opinion in proving me wrong, when you yourself were also wrong.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bestinthewest » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:20 am

because volleyball doesnt get the same amount of media coverage as basketball so the media doesn't know as much about the vb players as they do about the basketball players.
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Postby twinsfan10 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:03 am

bestinthewest wrote:because volleyball doesnt get the same amount of media coverage as basketball so the media doesn't know as much about the vb players as they do about the basketball players.

Region 2- Hailey Longtin, North Border. she's a stud and can flat out play. doesn't have alot to work with teamwise but because of her they do well.
twinsfan10
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:12 am

bestinthewest wrote:because volleyball doesnt get the same amount of media coverage as basketball so the media doesn't know as much about the vb players as they do about the basketball players.

Agreed, but football gets plenty of media coverage. To me, I don't agree with the media selecting something as important as all-state. Coaches should get to voice their opinions and fight for their athletes to get selected. Some areas of the state get much more media attention than others, plus some individuals get media attention for reasons other than bball and that could persuade some voters to put them on the team since their name is familiar. Another reason I don't agree with the media selection process is how does the media in Dickinson ever get to see a player on the eastern edge of the state if they don't make the state tourney and vice versa?
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby redinstant » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:49 pm

when do the all=state names get announced?
redinstant
NDPreps Reserve

Postby thehills1984 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:24 pm

Can we consider Maggie Evenson? Region 2 Sr Player of the 3rd ranked team Hillsboro Burros?
thehills1984
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:44 pm

nativegolfer wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:I agree, I don't see Long and Engels being first team. Grann would be first team before Engels because she's been on the all-state team before and people know her name.

Long averaged 21.5 ppg and 7 assts, if those aren't 1st team numbers then I don't what are. Add to that her 24 ppg for the state tourney and you can't leave her off.

I think it would be a great injustice to leave off shauna long and her stats off first team. I think her stats compare as good or better than every class b guard in the state. I know in the past people with stats like 13 pts/game made the second team. But, of course, if there more players with better stats and better team performances than hers than so be it. But, due to so many ranked teams making it to the big show we had the opportunity to watch the best girls play(no knife of course), and Shauna Long avg. 21.5 ppg 7 assists had a record tying 13 three pointers in the state tournament and had better stats during the regular season and her team was one of the top 8 teams in the state. Pretty impressive numbers for any guard, especially one that is barely over 5'0" tall. Not quite sure what type of qualifications would make you a first team gamer than that- 30 pts/game 10 assists, 10 rebounds and a 25 win season and a 50 point game in the state tournament and be at least a junior? Because that would be about what it would take to keep her off the first team.
bigpoppakdog

Postby scramblinfran » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:05 am

Be careful with stats. That's all I've got to say. They are notorious for getting inflated. Case in point - I was looking through the state tournament program and noticed a team "averaging" 77 points per game. Pretty impressive I thought. To keep from falling asleep during the Hankinson/Stanley game I added up their individual game scores and did the math and found out they were really averaging around 66 points per game. An impressive enough number, but still an all district player short of what was listed. Maybe it was a typo. Mistakes happen all the time, but I also know that there is a fair amount of number inflation that takes place. That's one reason I would like to see the ndhsaa site require at least scoring information for the games. It's pretty easy to check then. I'm not accusing anyone of stat padding - you'll notice not a single name mentioned in here. I'm just saying if you argue that someone is deserving because their stats stand out above the rest - I hope you are arguing your point with some degree of accuracy. I think Mark Twain said something to the effect of "their are 3 kinds of untruths - lies, dang lies, and statistics".
scramblinfran
NDPreps Starter

Postby rock83 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:36 am

Not a first team all stater. Very good player and probably second team. If you let her shoot she is very good, ask hazen. She plays no defense and just stands around, thats not first team.
bigpoppakdog wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:I agree, I don't see Long and Engels being first team. Grann would be first team before Engels because she's been on the all-state team before and people know her name.

Long averaged 21.5 ppg and 7 assts, if those aren't 1st team numbers then I don't what are. Add to that her 24 ppg for the state tourney and you can't leave her off.

I think it would be a great injustice to leave off shauna long and her stats off first team. I think her stats compare as good or better than every class b guard in the state. I know in the past people with stats like 13 pts/game made the second team. But, of course, if there more players with better stats and better team performances than hers than so be it. But, due to so many ranked teams making it to the big show we had the opportunity to watch the best girls play(no knife of course), and Shauna Long avg. 21.5 ppg 7 assists had a record tying 13 three pointers in the state tournament and had better stats during the regular season and her team was one of the top 8 teams in the state. Pretty impressive numbers for any guard, especially one that is barely over 5'0" tall. Not quite sure what type of qualifications would make you a first team gamer than that- 30 pts/game 10 assists, 10 rebounds and a 25 win season and a 50 point game in the state tournament and be at least a junior? Because that would be about what it would take to keep her off the first team.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls