Who makes all-state team

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Who makes all-state team

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:11 am

So, you would also state Cameran Malzer is not a first team all state for boys because he doesn't play any defense?
bigpoppakdog

Postby rock83 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:26 am

Are you serious, do you really think a kid that doesnt play defense and is lazy should be first team all state or all state at all for that matter. No I wouldnt vote for a kid that is lazy and doesnt play defense for all state. But that is the problem with people these days they reward kids because they can score. Thats why we see kids have attitudes and not working because they dont have to and people will still reward them. I wouldnt.

bigpoppakdog wrote:So, you would also state Cameran Malzer is not a first team all state for boys because he doesn't play any defense?
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:26 pm

When we discuss all-state you do have to look at the big picture and I agree defense is something you need to look at. But, you have to look at stats. Somebody said that you can't always look at stats because they are padded. I don't agree with that. The stat books are the only concrete evidence you have to go by. When you look at other things(which I agree you do), you are now on subjective opinions. Yes, lack of defense could put you from first team to second team but you have to look at stats first. Shauna Longs stat's puts her up in contention for first team. From what I saw from the tournament, a person can argue strongly for her selection. That's why there is always controversy, rarely are their unanimous viewpoints on a player.
bigpoppakdog

Postby Job » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:10 pm

scc wrote:
thehills1984 wrote:Can we consider Maggie Evenson? Region 2 Sr Player of the 3rd ranked team Hillsboro Burros?

She should definitely be considered.

I watched her a couple times. I would bet anything she makes first team all state.
Job
NDPreps Rookie

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:07 am

Job wrote:
scc wrote:
thehills1984 wrote:Can we consider Maggie Evenson? Region 2 Sr Player of the 3rd ranked team Hillsboro Burros?

She should definitely be considered.

I watched her a couple times. I would bet anything she makes first team all state.

Agree. Evenson is a very strong player.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby SDHoops » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:10 pm

Shauna Long is first team all-state without a doubt. She proved it on the court and she looks hella good on paper. If I remember correctly, she was getting a lot of steals during state, especially against Hazen. I guess the Hazen girls must have been throwing it to her, huh? The girl can ball, so quit hatin'. People have their own opinions but if you don't think she is first team all-state, you must be prejudiced or have something against her. Also, if you were looking that close at her defense and her other flaws, well, that just reinforces my statement about prejudices. I think almost all girls in North Dakota are guilty of faulty defense. If they weren't, they'd all be playing Division I.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby rock83 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:18 pm

When you think that someone is a racist because they dont think she is 1st team all state. They play a zone. And in that zone she actually just stands around and sometimes doesnt even try. And you think she is fantastic. You must not know basketball. She is a very good three point shooter and a nice player. And ask hazen if you let her shoot she will make a lot of points. But lets not get crazy. And defense isnt the reason all the players in north dakota arent playing d 1.

SDHoops wrote:Shauna Long is first team all-state without a doubt. She proved it on the court and she looks hella good on paper. If I remember correctly, she was getting a lot of steals during state, especially against Hazen. I guess the Hazen girls must have been throwing it to her, huh? The girl can ball, so quit hatin'. People have their own opinions but if you don't think she is first team all-state, you must be prejudiced or have something against her. Also, if you were looking that close at her defense and her other flaws, well, that just reinforces my statement about prejudices. I think almost all girls in North Dakota are guilty of faulty defense. If they weren't, they'd all be playing Division I.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:31 pm

SDHoops wrote:Shauna Long is first team all-state without a doubt. She proved it on the court and she looks hella good on paper. If I remember correctly, she was getting a lot of steals during state, especially against Hazen. I guess the Hazen girls must have been throwing it to her, huh? The girl can ball, so quit hatin'. People have their own opinions but if you don't think she is first team all-state, you must be prejudiced or have something against her. Also, if you were looking that close at her defense and her other flaws, well, that just reinforces my statement about prejudices. I think almost all girls in North Dakota are guilty of faulty defense. If they weren't, they'd all be playing Division I.

I would lobby for her to be first team also, but it would not be unanimous. She had good stats, but she also shot the ball substantially more to get those stats. Benz had almost as good ppg stats and I bet she shot almost the same amount in the whole tournament as long did in one game.

Using the prejudice thing opens up a whole can of worms. You wouldn't want to discuss attendance rates, academic standards of different schools(example just showing up for school is good enough) and things like that now would you? I have dark hair and dark skin and find it absolutely absurd to use that as a reason for anything that doesn't go my way in life. It's what I call a self-imposed "enabling" mechanism. But to call out someone as "prejudice" on this forum is cowardly. Rock and I have gone back and forth on this forum quite a bit, but this is ridiculous and I will do what I can to get you blocked if you continue on these lines.
bigpoppakdog

Postby SDHoops » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:56 am

Never did I once mention race. Look up the definition of prejudiced. My oh my, what is on your mind rock? A player who scores 44 points and sets a single game tournament record in a one-point loss to the #1 and unbeaten team in the state is first-team all-state in my book. I don't care if it's Long, the girl down the street, or the girl in the North Pole, that is TOUGH to do. I was simply implying that maybe you guys already had it in your mind that Long wasn't good and aren't even giving her a chance is all.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:06 pm

one great game doesn't make a player all-state. She did it at the right time, tho, on state wide television which will sway some votes. However, she is just a sophomore and I think that will keep her off the first team. Definite second teamer, tho.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportfan2007 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:00 pm

I think Katie Brademeyer of Oakes and Casey Geffre of Hankinson may possibly make the all state team. Also Taylor Kraft of Central Cass may be in the mix as well or at least on the list to pick from. Kali Luick from Fairmount Campbell Tintah might also have a shot.
sportfan2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbfan65 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:22 pm

if a Geffre is All-State it should be Cody not Casey. Cody was the best player on that team. She would be the leading scorer on any other team in the state but she ran the show for the Pirates. Titus is right behing her. Those two out front pressured teams and spread the floor on the offensive end and made it easier for their inside players to score. Not to say Casey isn't a good player but point totals are alway the measuring stick and in some cases that is not the case.
bbfan65
NDPreps Reserve

Postby chevyman11 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:29 pm

First Team
Lindsey Sand
Shauna Long
Shaunna Knife

Second Team
Allison Opp
Jordyn Bender
Kenzi Church

This is all I could catch off the news
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:37 pm

chevyman11 wrote:First Team
Lindsey Sand
Shauna Long
Shaunna Knife
Katie ralston
Maggie Evenson

Second Team
Allison Opp
Jordyn Bender
Kenzi Church

This is all I could catch off the news

Fargo news didnt even have the 2nd team
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:26 pm

Girls basketball: Ralston, Evenson, Houdek named all-state
Area players Katie Ralston of Fordville-Lankin/Park River and Maggie Evenson of Hillsboro have been named to the first team of the North Dakota Class B girls high school basketball all-state team. Grafton's Katie Houdek is a second-team selection.
By: Greg DeVillers, Grand Forks Herald

Amidst a crowd of defenders, Katie Ralston grabbed an offensive rebound and put up an off-balance shot that went in. The play at the North Dakota Class B girls high school basketball tournament brought a round of applause.

For Fordville-Lankin/Park River coach Kirby Erickson, however, it was par for the course.

"We've had people in the stands talking for four years, wondering how she got this shot off, or how she made that shot,' Erickson said. The answer, Erickson said, was that the 5-foot-6 Ralston was tough around the basket because of her savvy as well as her athleticism.

For Ralston, a senior at F-L/PR, as well as Hillsboro's Maggie Evenson, the cerebral part of their games set them apart from many opponents. Now both are members of the North Dakota Class B girls high school all-state basketball team, as selected by the North Dakota Associated Press Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association.

Joining them on the first team are Bottineau's 5-10 Shaunna Knife, Standing Rock's 5-3 Shauna Long and 5-8 Lindsey Sand of state champion Kidder County. All are seniors except Long, a sophomore.

Ralston came up one win shy of being on a state championship team, as Fordville-Lankin/Park River lost 45-43 to Kidder County in the state title game. Ralston led the 23-2 Flyers with averages of 18.3 points and 4.0 steals and also contributed 4.6 rebounds and 2.8 assists.

"We used Katie's skills everywhere on the floor,' Erickson said. "She's a good ballhandler and shooter. But her specialty was getting inside. She scored a lot around the basket, using her quickness, head fakes, a little hook shot, just her smartness to get off shots against bigger players. She's a crafty player.'

Evenson's team came up one win shy of qualifying for the state tournament, losing to Fordville-Lankin/Park River in the Region 2 final. The 5-7 Evenson averaged 13.6 points, 3.4 assists, 3 rebounds and 2.1 steals for the 20-2 Burros and was named Region 2 senior player of the year.

"Maggie's statistics don't jump out,' Burros coach Kyle Morehart said. "She's the type of player who does what she has to do for the team. She had a couple of 27-point games. But her main job was running the offense, setting up her teammates, handling the ball against the press, just a lot of savvy things. She's the smartest player I've ever coached. She was like having a coach on the floor.'

Guards and small forwards dominate the lineup of the all-state first team. But size would be no hindrance.

Despite having a lack of size, "I wouldn't be afraid to play that group against any Class B team,' veteran Bottineau coach Mike Forsberg said. "They can all hit from the outside and handle the ball. They'd give other teams matchup problems. I don't know of a coach who would turn that lineup down.'

Knife, the Class B senior player of the year, heads the group. She averaged 19.3 points, 6.7 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 2.0 steals. While Knife was used in the post occasionally this season because Bottineau lacked overall size, she also made 38 three-point shots.

"Shaunna's ballhandling skills are second to none,' Forsberg said. "She's very hard to defend one-on-one. We played her on the inside some, but she's more comfortable on the perimeter with her ballhandling, passing and shooting skills.'

Knife was a first-team all-state pick a year ago when Bottineau won a state championship.

Sand was the standout on this season's state championship team. She averaged 15 points and 5.2 rebounds while pacing the 26-1 team with 5 assists and 3.3 steals per game. Sand was selected the Region 3 senior player of the year.

"She's a floor leader, a general out there,' her father, Kidder County coach Mark Sand, said. "She's like having a coach on the floor. Lindsey was more of a playmaker in the past. This year, she stepped up her scoring. She's just a good all-around player.'

Long averaged 21.3 points, 5.9 assists and 3.3 rebounds for the 18-8 Standing Rock team that finished eighth at state. She had an eye-opening game at the state tournament when she scored 44 in the quarterfinals against Hazen.

"Shauna's a good shooter,' Standing Rock coach Margaret Gates said. "She can hit the three or drive. Our girls looked to her to score, but she's also a playmaker. She looked to pass, sometimes too much when she'd give up a good shot of her own to get the ball to a teammate.'

Houdek on second team

Grafton's Katie Houdek is a second-team all-state pick. The 6-1 senior, who has signed to play at UND, averaged 19.1 points, 10.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks for the 16-7 Spoilers.

"Katie's a finesse player, not a power type,' Grafton coach Laurie Sieben said. "She has a lot of tools -- a nice baseline shot, some moves around the basket to finish shots and shooting range out to 15 feet.'

Other second-team picks are:

@ Jordyn Bender, New England: The 5-7 junior had averages of 17.4 points, 4.3 assists, 3.6 steals and 2.8 rebounds.

@ Katie Brademeyer, Oakes: Brademeyer was named Region 1 senior player of the year. She averaged 21.2 points, 12.2 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 1.8 blocks a game.

@ Kenzie Church, Fairmount-Campbell-Tintah: Church, a sophomore, was one of the top scorers in the state with a 20.8 average. She also averaged 7.7 rebounds and 1.7 assists for the 22-3 team.

@ Justene Engels, New Rockford-Sheyenne: The 5-8 Engels was named Region 4 senior player of the year after averaging 14.7 points, 7 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 3.1 steals for the Rockets team that finished fourth at the state B tournament.

@ Bobbi Grann, New Rockford-Sheyenne: The 5-7 senior is a second team all-state pick for the second straight season. Grann averaged 15.6 points, 3.7 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 4.3 steals for the 24-3 Rockets.

@ Samantha Heier, Ray: Heier was a 53 percent shooter from the field this season. The 5-7 junior averaged 19.7 points, 8.1 rebounds, 4.3 steals and 3.5 assists.

@ Katie King, Kenmare: The 5-11 sophomore was strong in the post for the Kenmare team that finished sixth at state. King averaged 14.1 points and a team-leading 10.8 rebounds.

@ Kendra Miller, Kenmare: The 5-8 senior was the leading scorer for the 22-5 Honkers. Miller scored 17.6 points a game and also paced the team with 38 three-point baskets and 3.4 steals per game.

@ Allison Opp, Hazen: The 5-11 senior was an all-around standout for the 25-1 Hazen team that finished third at state. Opp led her team with 26 three-point baskets and averages of 3.6 steals and 3.5 assists and ranked second with 13.2-point and 6.9-rebound averages.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby senditin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:33 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:She will be a second team, not a first team. Very seldom do they ever put a soph or below on the first team. You have to be basically the best player in the state for that to happen.

Congrats to Long for makin 1st team, she earned it and still has 2 years left. Played BB and Golf with her dad, he was a heck of a guy and a character. Sure he's lookin down now and smilin.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rock83 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:18 pm

Long is a very good player, but for you to say she is a sure thing for first team all state is wrong. If she doesnt make the state tournament she may not even be all state at all. which makes people wonder. She isnt an all around player, she is a very good shooter and offensive player. She doesnt have much of a game off the dribble such as pulling up after a dribble or two for a jump shot. Its usually three or layup with her. Not to mention the defense and work ethic. There are questions. If you think she is one of the best defensive players, sitting in a zone, or one of the hardest workers you would be wrong. First team all stater should be a player that plays both sides of the floor. Unfortunately that is not what the media looks at.

senditin wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:She will be a second team, not a first team. Very seldom do they ever put a soph or below on the first team. You have to be basically the best player in the state for that to happen.

Congrats to Long for makin 1st team, she earned it and still has 2 years left. Played BB and Golf with her dad, he was a heck of a guy and a character. Sure he's lookin down now and smilin.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:05 pm

I would wager some $$$ that she was going to be a second teamer until her 44 pt explosion against Hazen. That performance put her on the top of the list. Same thing for Eli Benz who got MVP put had an average first game which resulted in her being left off both teams. I would say to not bring down the accomplishments of others, Long had great stats, leave it at that. Benz was the best all-around player in the state next to Knife and she didn't even make second team. Probably the most dis-heartening thing I've ever seen in basketball.
bigpoppakdog

Postby eastwood99 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:02 pm

rock83 wrote:Long is a very good player, but for you to say she is a sure thing for first team all state is wrong. If she doesnt make the state tournament she may not even be all state at all. which makes people wonder. She isnt an all around player, she is a very good shooter and offensive player. She doesnt have much of a game off the dribble such as pulling up after a dribble or two for a jump shot. Its usually three or layup with her. Not to mention the defense and work ethic. There are questions. If you think she is one of the best defensive players, sitting in a zone, or one of the hardest workers you would be wrong. First team all stater should be a player that plays both sides of the floor. Unfortunately that is not what the media looks at.

senditin wrote:

HATER!
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GirlsClassBfan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:15 pm

What does that mean?
GirlsClassBfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby eastwood99 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:05 pm

i'm talking about what rock83 said dawg. 8) But it's all good though.
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Girls