Dis. 7 tourney to be one of the best in years? am i wrong?

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Dis. 7 tourney to be one of the best in years? am i wrong?

Postby Chester09 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:34 pm

With teams like NRS, Carrington, and Harvey, what is there to expect come next weekend? I cannot wait for this 1. Any thoughts?
Chester09
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Dis. 7 tourney to be one of the best in years? am i wrong?

Postby KG4MVP » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:57 am

I would pick NR to win the district. But I dont think its going to matter..this region tournament will be more exciting than the district, and thats where i think upsets will happen...not in the district tourney. In regions you lose...and you go home.
KG4MVP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby theswami » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:54 pm

Chester09 wrote:With teams like NRS, Carrington, and Harvey, what is there to expect come next weekend? I cannot wait for this 1. Any thoughts?

Chester, nice post compared to some of your other ones :oops: , it was well thought out, but how about this..... gotta like 3 ranked teams in the same district. Plus their is nothing wrong with FW/W girls either....... The big 3 is the district will be fun. but the regional...do or die...will be the best.
I think it interesting that D7 #1 play D7 #3 in region semis. It might not be best to "WIN" District 7. Assuming Langdon wins D8, right....... for example you would have #1NRS vs. #3Harvey in one game and #1Langdon vs. #2Carrington in the other......dont get me wrong Langdon solid team with a brilliant coach but who would you rather play Langdon OR Harvey assuming it plays out that way
theswami
NDPreps Starter

Postby rocketsphotoguy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:42 pm

I concur with Swami, great post. :D

I think what makes the tournament unique (at least this year) is the fact you have three rock star teams at the top, something you very rarely see in district play. However, I would say that it's not quite overall the best I've seen. There have been years past where the district has had more depth among the middle-of-the-pack teams (like last year, where Maddock could have been considered a legitimate threat, and Lakota put together a nice run at the end of the year to not only win the district title, but the region championship as well.) I thought that in '08, any of the top five teams had a chance to win the district. This year, I don't quite see something like that happening beyond the big three (NR-S, Carrington, Harvey.) No disrespect to Four Winds-Warwick (the #4) but I don't think there's the overall quality in D7 this season that there has been.

I also agree with Swami in that it might not be in your team's best interest to necessarily win the district title. The #2 position at Region 4 might be a little more advantageous in that there's a decent chance you wouldn't have to play an intra-district matchup in the semis, which in this year, would be a meat grinder. I'm not saying Langdon (the most likely semi-final matchup in this scenario) would be a pushover, as they beat out NR-S in the first round last year and are perfectly capable of beating anyone from this district. Also, going back to District 7 for a second... I'm probably going to get crucified for saying this, but as a Rockets fan, if the district title comes down to NR-S and Carrington, I'd rather they lost that game. I'm a big subscriber to the sports adage that it's hard to beat a good team three times in one season. I'm kind of superstitious that way.
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man." - Jack Handey
rocketsphotoguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Chester09 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:14 pm

theswami wrote:
Chester09 wrote:With teams like NRS, Carrington, and Harvey, what is there to expect come next weekend? I cannot wait for this 1. Any thoughts?

Chester, nice post compared to some of your other ones :oops: , it was well thought out, but how about this..... gotta like 3 ranked teams in the same district. Plus their is nothing wrong with FW/W girls either....... The big 3 is the district will be fun. but the regional...do or die...will be the best.
I think it interesting that D7 #1 play D7 #3 in region semis. It might not be best to "WIN" District 7. Assuming Langdon wins D8, right....... for example you would have #1NRS vs. #3Harvey in one game and #1Langdon vs. #2Carrington in the other......dont get me wrong Langdon solid team with a brilliant coach but who would you rather play Langdon OR Harvey assuming it plays out that way

Ya this could be one of my better thoughts :wink: haha. I just really like the fact that all 3 of these teams have now been rated in state, and how close they all are. It will be very interesting to see who gets what spot for the regional tournament. I, for 1, cannot wait.
Chester09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rocketsphotoguy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:38 pm

My prognostications on this tournament, for what they're worth...

Quarterfinals:
NR-S over Midkota: Too much Rockets in this one. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Midkota makes a run in the next few years; VERY young team with some good athletes (Emily Berge comes to mind here.)
Four Winds-Warwick over Lakota: I think the pace of the game favors FW-W. Hale should have a good game in the post.
Harvey over Wells County: WC just doesn't have the horses. Harvey should win BIG in this game.
Carrington over Maddock: If Laura Taylor had a better supporting cast around her, I might give Maddock a bit more of a realistic chance. Not enough to hang with the Cards, though.

Loser Out Game #1:
Lakota over Midkota: Jason Wiberg has done a GREAT job with the Lakota girls this year of keeping them semi-competitive with essentially a new team from last year. I'd say Raiders by 10.
Loser Out Game #2:
Maddock over Wells County: I could see Taylor winning this one almost by herself with dominating post play.

Semifinals:
NR-S over Four Winds-Warwick: I think the superior ball-handling ability of the NR-S guards, coupled with a good game from Engels, could end up sinking the Indians in the end. Could be interesting for a while, though.
Carrington over Harvey: Just a hunch here, as Carrington will be looking for revenge after the loss in Harvey during the regular season.

Loser Out Game #3:
Maddock over Four Winds-Warwick: Randy Simon-coached teams always seem to have the ability to pull off at least one upset in the District 7 tourney each year. Good year for FW-W, but not enough.
Loser Out Game #4:
Harvey over Lakota: Lorenz and Nyhus will dominate inside, and Buxa, Bachmeier, Schneider et al. will keep turnovers to a minimum.

Finals:
Carrington over NR-S: Just my superstitious side coming out. If NR-S won, a looming Region championship with Carrington (if it indeed happens) would mean the Rockets would have to beat the Cardinals three times in one year to go to state, and conventional wisdom states that it's hard to do that. As stated in the earlier post on this thread, the #2 seed from D7 might be the best path to success come the Region 4 tournament.

Should be a fun one; good luck to all the teams! :D
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man." - Jack Handey
rocketsphotoguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigballer55 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:28 pm

nr-s 80
midkota-33

four winds warwick 64
lakota 51

harvey 41
wells county 28

carrington 62
maddock 28
"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne
bigballer55
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsfan10 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:32 pm

in the 2nd round i got......
loser game #1
midkota (8) over lakota (5). midkota has more depth and stayed with nr-s for a little while before nr-s went on a 50-3 run or something like that. lakota had only 7 players dressed yesterday. 7! MDK by 10-15.
loser game #2
wells county (6) over maddock (7) if taylor has a big game for maddock, they have a shot, but i ultimately think that the bears have this one. WC by 10-15.

seminfinal #1
nr-s (1) over four winds-warwick (4). FW-W cannot compete with the full court pressure that the rockets put on, as they'll have a lot of turnovers, and give up a lot of layups for the guards of NRS. NRS by 25+.

carrington (2) over harvey (3). harvey demolished them last time, but now i think that carrington wants to get revenge on harvey and NRS, so they'll be having great games all around to get there. CAR by <10.
sportsfan10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:40 pm

sportsfan10 wrote:in the 2nd round i got......
loser game #1
midkota (8) over lakota (5). midkota has more depth and stayed with nr-s for a little while before nr-s went on a 50-3 run or something like that. lakota had only 7 players dressed yesterday. 7! MDK by 10-15.
loser game #2
wells county (6) over maddock (7) if taylor has a big game for maddock, they have a shot, but i ultimately think that the bears have this one. WC by 10-15.

seminfinal #1
nr-s (1) over four winds-warwick (4). FW-W cannot compete with the full court pressure that the rockets put on, as they'll have a lot of turnovers, and give up a lot of layups for the guards of NRS. NRS by 25+.

carrington (2) over harvey (3). harvey demolished them last time, but now i think that carrington wants to get revenge on harvey and NRS, so they'll be having great games all around to get there. CAR by <10.

Maddock is the #6 seed and Wells the #7 and there is no way Maddock loses to them today. Maddock will probably beat FW in the region qualifier on Monday as well.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsfan10 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:55 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
sportsfan10 wrote:in the 2nd round i got......
loser game #1
loser game #2

seminfinal #1

Maddock is the #6 seed and Wells the #7 and there is no way Maddock loses to them today. Maddock will probably beat FW in the region qualifier on Monday as well.

well i hope so because maddock is one of my favorite teams to watch. so does that mean harvey is the #2.
sportsfan10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsfan10 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:55 pm

wait yes they are because they beat carrington and each have 2 losses. i should have figured that out before.
sportsfan10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cardinalfan20 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:10 am

Carrington and New Rockford were in the championship. It was a great game but New Rockford ended up on top with a final score of 41 -39.
cardinalfan20
NDPreps Rookie

Postby cardinalfan20 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:11 am

Carrington and New Rockford were in the championship. It was a great game but New Rockford ended up on top with a final score of 41 -39.
cardinalfan20
NDPreps Rookie

Return to Girls