9th Poll

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

9th Poll

Postby HometownHigh » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Ninth NDAPSSA Class 'B' Girls Basketball Poll
Released February 2, 2009
First Place Votes in Parentheses

Team Record Points Last Week
1 Bottineau (10) 16-0 100 1
2 Hazen 16-0 89 3
3 Hillsboro 13-1 77 4
4 Kidder County 14-1 60 6
5 Fairmount-Campbell-Tintah 14-1 51 2
6 New Rockford-Sheyenne 14-1 48 8
7 Fordville-Lankin-Park River 14-1 41 7
8 Hankinson 13-2 36 9
9 Central Cass 13-2 12 10
10 Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page 13-2 9 NR
TIE Harvey 14-2 9 NR

Others Receiving Votes: Carrington (13-2), Underwood (15-1), New England (14-2), Linton (13-3), Beach (13-2).
HometownHigh
NDPreps Starter

Re: 9th Poll

Postby bball99 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:02 pm

I'm kind of surprised Harvey is only tied for 10th, they destroyed number #5 Carrington last week and if I'm not mistaken are on a 11 or 12 game winning streak? Also, is Bottineau ever going to lose?
bball99
NDPreps Starter

Postby rocketsphotoguy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:11 pm

bball99 wrote:I'm kind of surprised Harvey is only tied for 10th, they destroyed number #5 Carrington last week and if I'm not mistaken are on a 11 or 12 game winning streak? Also, is Bottineau ever going to lose?

Yeah, Harvey should probably be a few spots up from where they are, but not higher than #6. :wink:

As for Bottineau, we can only hope. I'm not one to wish bad karma on anyone, but it's absolutely uncanny how they can reload year after year. I don't think any team's gotten within 15 of them this season. Maybe if the three-class proposal passes, they'll start owning the middle class instead and give the rest of us small-town peons a chance.
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man." - Jack Handey
rocketsphotoguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBEast » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:52 pm

#5 FCT 60
# 9 Central Cass 53

Squirrels were up by as much as 12 in first half and 9 at half-time. Lost it in the final minutes of the 4th quarter.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby mplsfan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:49 pm

For those of you that are respectfully a little tired of Bottineau's success I think next year will be your year. They won't be a bad team but they will be back in the pack of mere mortals I believe. Their success has been amazing. Their current record over the past 5 seasons stands at 122-3. Their current undefeated streak is 50 games.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:53 pm

Underwood should not be mentioned in the same breath out of those other teams. Lost to Washburn and beat New Salem by 6. Sorry, but anyone argues they are in the same league as Carrington, New England, Beach and Linton is not very objective. I believe their only quality win is against HMB(probably #4 in their district).
bigpoppakdog

Postby bbb » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:13 pm

mplsfan wrote:For those of you that are respectfully a little tired of Bottineau's success I think next year will be your year. They won't be a bad team but they will be back in the pack of mere mortals I believe. Their success has been amazing. Their current record over the past 5 seasons stands at 122-3. Their current undefeated streak is 50 games.

Yep, I agree. I think their domination will be done for awhile after this year. Actually with their 3 wins this week I think their winning streak is up to 52.
bbb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mplsfan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:37 pm

bbb wrote:
mplsfan wrote:For those of you that are respectfully a little tired of Bottineau's success I think next year will be your year. They won't be a bad team but they will be back in the pack of mere mortals I believe. Their success has been amazing. Their current record over the past 5 seasons stands at 122-3. Their current undefeated streak is 50 games.

Yep, I agree. I think their domination will be done for awhile after this year. Actually with their 3 wins this week I think their winning streak is up to 52.

My math has it as their last 6 games of 2007 (they lost the district championship then won regions and state), 28-0 in 2008 and currrently 16-0 in 2009. That's 50 games. Am I missing something?
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbb » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:45 pm

mplsfan wrote:
bbb wrote:

My math has it as their last 6 games of 2007 (they lost the district championship then won regions and state), 28-0 in 2008 and currrently 16-0 in 2009. That's 50 games. Am I missing something?

OK, I was just going by last week's paper where I thought it said 49 wins before this week. But your math seems right so 50 it probably is.
bbb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mplsfan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:54 pm

If they finish the regular season undefeated (w/Kenmare and MLS coming up and nothing guaranteed) and win the district, their first game at regionals would break what I think is the state record winning streak. Williston and Larimore both had 56 game winning streaks. A win in the region quarter-finals would be number 57 for Bottineau. Gosh I hope I didn't just jinx them.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbb » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:16 am

mplsfan wrote:If they finish the regular season undefeated (w/Kenmare and MLS coming up and nothing guaranteed) and win the district, their first game at regionals would break what I think is the state record winning streak. Williston and Larimore both had 56 game winning streaks. A win in the region quarter-finals would be number 57 for Bottineau. Gosh I hope I didn't just jinx them.

They've also got a makeup game with Rugby tomorrow night.
bbb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mplsfan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:57 am

Forgive me for my arogance but I was already counting the Rugby game as a win. Not much of a chance of losing that one. I was suggesting that Kenmare and MLS are not as much of a sure thing. They are both quality teams. Bottineau will surely be favored but upsets happen and those two teams are certainly worthy opponents.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:38 am

If Bottineau wins it this year it will be 4 years in a row? Sorry I don't know.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bbb » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:15 am

mplsfan wrote:Forgive me for my arogance but I was already counting the Rugby game as a win. Not much of a chance of losing that one. I was suggesting that Kenmare and MLS are not as much of a sure thing. They are both quality teams. Bottineau will surely be favored but upsets happen and those two teams are certainly worthy opponents.

Kenmare over MLS last night 52-50
If Bottineau wins it this year it will be 4 years in a row? Sorry I don't know.

Yes
bbb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cometdad » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:29 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:Underwood should not be mentioned in the same breath out of those other teams. Lost to Washburn and beat New Salem by 6. Sorry, but anyone argues they are in the same league as Carrington, New England, Beach and Linton is not very objective. I believe their only quality win is against HMB(probably #4 in their district).

Not sure why the dis - Washburn is always up to play Underwood (huge rivalry game) and we beat New Salem while our points leader sat on the bench and watched (flu). The girls have always done what they needed to win this year. I haven't seen the teams you mention so not sure where we should fall in the poll but I do think a 16-1 record says something.
cometdad
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:24 am

I understand the argument about the record. One loss at this point of the year is a very good record to have. But, the quality difference between Underwood and the other teams receiving votes is drastic to say the least. The quality difference between the teams that are ranked and Underwood is very drastic. Not to take away anything from the successful year you have had so far. Again, great record to have now. But am I convinced they are a ranked team or should be considered in that conversation? No. But hey, you can always prove me wrong when it counts-tournament time. Rankings don't mean anything anyway until the last one. Good luck the rest of the way.
bigpoppakdog

Postby triplebbb » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:35 am

Has anyone ever questioned Hazen at #2? They are undefeated and have a nice team but their schedule has quality wins over Linton (early) and Dix Trin right after xmas. Are they as tough as some of the others not in the poll like Beach, etc?
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:03 am

I do agree that Hazen is a ranked team. They appear to avg. 5'10" across the board. Very good defense. Haven't seen a girls team run a "run-n-jump" defense like this. Offense is probably their weak point, though still good enough to take them deep into any tournament. #2 ranked might be questionable but not out of line. Appears there are some regions are lacking the quality teams while other regions are loaded with quality teams, so one will knock the other one off and vice versa, while other regions are a cake walk. So it's hard to rank some of these teams. Again, doesn't really matter anyway. Nice conversation topic though.
bigpoppakdog

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:11 am

Looks like were headed on a crash course for a GREAT final 2 days of the region 1 tournament
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby triplebbb » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:52 pm

I agree about some regions being loaded and some bad. Reg 8 on most nights is not going to fare well against the top Reg 7 teams. Dix Trin, Hazen, Beach, New England, and maybe others would be favored in a Reg. 8 tourney.
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby bball99 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:03 pm

It is kind of weird how Bottineau seems to "reload" after every season isn't it? I know some people there and for some reason they notice it too......hmmm :wink:
bball99
NDPreps Starter

Postby mplsfan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:22 pm

bball99 wrote:It is kind of weird how Bottineau seems to "reload" after every season isn't it? I know some people there and for some reason they notice it too......hmmm :wink:

Bottineau doesn't have anyone on the team this year that wasn't there last year. They reload from within.
Yes Shaunna Knife was a great gift to that program but it's unfair to seem to imply that their success year after year is the product of "hmmmmmm".
I remember in 1995 they were undefeated and ranked #1 all year and lost in the region semi's to Langdon. That was a senior dominated team and a heartbreaking disappointment. The following year in 1996 they "reloaded" completely from within and took third at state. Good athletes, hardwork and a talented, respected coach are the major factors in their success.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:44 pm

If memory serves me right, this is the "FIRST" year in the last 4 that Bott. didn't reload from somewhere else???? Also, bott in the news again for the sneaky way of sending some bott. boys down to the #1 ranked Linton team. This kind of stuff has ruined Class B basketball.
bigpoppakdog

Postby mplsfan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:33 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:If memory serves me right, this is the "FIRST" year in the last 4 that Bott. didn't reload from somewhere else???? Also, bott in the news again for the sneaky way of sending some bott. boys down to the #1 ranked Linton team. This kind of stuff has ruined Class B basketball.

Bottineau has had two transfers that have made a significant impact. Mandee Keplin transfered there as a junior as did Shaunna Knife two years later. Great additions? absolutely!!! Defined the program and transformed it's success? Not in my opinion. Bottineau has had plenty of home grown talent that would have lead to much success even without the couple of transfers that have been great additions.
And what's this about the "sneaky way Bottineau sent boys down to Linton"? How would that be something "Bottineau did" that was a benefit to Bottineau? Ask their father about that one.
Last edited by mplsfan on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsportsnut » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:40 pm

To all you Underwood fans, you guys are having a heck of a season. Don't get too wrapped in the polls. All that matters is that you are one of the final eight at the end. I think it is easy for the pollsters to overlook the Lady Comets because although they find a way to win (which is commendable), they are barely beating teams that are at, or barely above .500. (New Salem last night). Velva took Underwood into overtime and T.L.-M beat Velva pretty easily last night. Underwood only beat T.L. by six. I honestly think there are four or maybe even five teams in district 10 that can beat each other on any given night although Underwood has found a way to pull it off 16 times this year. In my opinion, I just dont think Underwood could compete with the Hazen's, New Rockfords, ect... You never how they will react when the pressures on and maybe they (Underwood) will turn it it up a notch against a top opponent.

I would rather get overlooked in the polls all year and go to the state tourney, than be in the top ten all year and then end up watching it from my living room. Good luck the rest of the way.
ndsportsnut
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Girls