9th Poll

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 9th Poll

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:04 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:If memory serves me right, this is the "FIRST" year in the last 4 that Bott. didn't reload from somewhere else???? Also, bott in the news again for the sneaky way of sending some bott. boys down to the #1 ranked Linton team. This kind of stuff has ruined Class B basketball.

Class B basketball is ruined. That is news to me.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:14 pm

To flip: guess you weren't around before 4 out of 5 teams made the regional tournament and players didn't switch uniforms year by year?
bigpoppakdog

Postby bball99 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:23 pm

Harvey beat Lakota by 15 or so last night. Improving their record to 16-2 I believe. I cant wait for them and New Rockford to meet up again.
bball99
NDPreps Starter

Postby rocketsphotoguy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:49 pm

bball99 wrote:Harvey beat Lakota by 15 or so last night. Improving their record to 16-2 I believe. I cant wait for them and New Rockford to meet up again.

You might just get your wish... Here are the pairings for the District 7 girls' tourney Feb. 13-14 and 16 in New Rockford.

#1 New Rockford-Sheyenne vs. #8 Midkota
#4 Four Winds-Warwick vs. #5 Lakota

#2 Harvey vs. #7 Wells County
#3 Carrington vs. #6 Maddock

Not to disrespect the other teams on our half of the bracket, but I don't really see any possible scenario where NR-S fails to make the championship game. There is a HUGE disparity between the top three teams and the rest of the district this year. And you guys probably still have to get past Carrington again.

I could definitely see Harvey and NR-S playing at regionals (if not in the championship here,) depending on how the seeding shakes out.
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man." - Jack Handey
rocketsphotoguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby rocketsphotoguy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:56 pm

mplsfan wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote:If memory serves me right, this is the "FIRST" year in the last 4 that Bott. didn't reload from somewhere else???? Also, bott in the news again for the sneaky way of sending some bott. boys down to the #1 ranked Linton team. This kind of stuff has ruined Class B basketball.

Bottineau has had two transfers that have made a significant impact. Mandee Keplin transfered there as a junior as did Shaunna Knife two years later. Great additions? absolutely!!! Defined the program and transformed it's success? Not in my opinion. Bottineau has had plenty of home grown talent that would have lead to much success even without the couple of transfers that have been great additions.
And what's this about the "sneaky way Bottineau sent boys down to Linton"? How would that be something "Bottineau did" that was a benefit to Bottineau? Ask their father about that one.

Yessir, transfer players have definitely changed the landscape of Class B basketball for the worse. I'm glad we in the New Rockford-Sheyenne girls' basketball fandom certainly don't condone anything like that. :lol:
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man." - Jack Handey
rocketsphotoguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby mplsfan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:51 pm

First of all I don't know Bobbi Gran or anyone in New Rockford for that matter (although my grandparents lived there many. . .many years ago, but I digress). I don't know anything of the specifics of her transferring but I would have to assume that it was all done by the book and it was her and her families decision alone for their own reasons. What the people of New Rockford think about it pro or con isn't really the issue because they really have no say. I have to say under the circumstances just enjoy the benefits of a gifted player as an addition to your team. What else can you do? This transferring issue is even more pronounced in the twin cities metro area because there are so many really large high schools within a mile or two of each other. The MSHSL has adopted much stricter rules to combat transferring for athletics alone. But when transfers are made within the rule of the law the new community shouldn't be held responsible outside of specific (well founded, not just jealous heresay) incidents/accusations of recruiting. Successful programs will sometimes attract a quality athlete that has the means to make a change. It's doesn't mean that the program in question went after (recruited) said athlete. The "homegrown success" of that program was the attraction.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby bball99 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:03 pm

rocketsphotoguy wrote:
bball99 wrote:Harvey beat Lakota by 15 or so last night. Improving their record to 16-2 I believe. I cant wait for them and New Rockford to meet up again.

You might just get your wish... Here are the pairings for the District 7 girls' tourney Feb. 13-14 and 16 in New Rockford.

#1 New Rockford-Sheyenne vs. #8 Midkota
#4 Four Winds-Warwick vs. #5 Lakota

#2 Harvey vs. #7 Wells County
#3 Carrington vs. #6 Maddock

Not to disrespect the other teams on our half of the bracket, but I don't really see any possible scenario where NR-S fails to make the championship game. There is a HUGE disparity between the top three teams and the rest of the district this year. And you guys probably still have to get past Carrington again.

I could definitely see Harvey and NR-S playing at regionals (if not in the championship here,) depending on how the seeding shakes out.
I really like Harvey in this tournament. I don't know if you remember or not, but Harvey was in the Region championship a year or two ago. I think it was last year if i'm not mistaken. So tihs team can play a little bit, their not just getting lucky this year. I think it's going to depend on who gets hot, Harvey, Carrington, or NR-S.
bball99
NDPreps Starter

Postby skeeter12 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:17 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:Underwood should not be mentioned in the same breath out of those other teams. Lost to Washburn and beat New Salem by 6. Sorry, but anyone argues they are in the same league as Carrington, New England, Beach and Linton is not very objective. I believe their only quality win is against HMB(probably #4 in their district).

Underwood could have killed New Salem but one of their main scorers and players were sick
skeeter12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:33 pm

you miss one player and can't kill new salem and yet want to be considered a top 10 team in state?
bigpoppakdog

Postby rock83 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Most of the top 10 teams cant afford to miss their best player. Take Sand away from kidder county and they would have difficulty. And they are truely a top 5 team. I am not sure what you have against Underwood. There schedule isnt very good, but they have beatn just about everyone. Would beating Linton make them awesome or competing against beach make them the team to beat? If beach beats new england and bowman does that make them better than underwood. I've seen these teams there isnt an ounce of difference between underwood, linton, beach, bowman etc.

bigpoppakdog wrote:you miss one player and can't kill new salem and yet want to be considered a top 10 team in state?
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:56 pm

take sand out of the lineup and they would not have trouble against new salem. Take any of the 5 players from Hazen out and they wouldn't have trouble against new salem. Underwood has a very good record. Nothing against them. I'm just saying they are not in the top ten in the state of north dakota. You are asking who has Hazen played and now including beach, new england etc...into the scenario. My question is simple. Who has Underwood played? I think you need to justify your argument on why they should be a top team with things other than what "other" teams are doing. Convince me. I think Standing Rock is better. They have more offensive fire power than anybody in the district/region and have other players that know their roles. Hazen is better than Underwood because they are taller, faster, play better defense and shoot better. Kidder County minus Sand is still faster, better defense, better offense, taller. Again, tourney time is coming around so we'll see if I eat my words or not. If I do, you'll be the first to know. If I don't, you'll be the first to know.
bigpoppakdog

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:59 pm

Another thing, for years the super region was out in the Dickinson area. It was well know that many of those teams(boy's) in that region could have competed against any team in the rest of North Dakota. So does it make a difference who you play? Sure. You can have a team that is undefeated in a weak area and another team that is .500 in a tough region beat that undefeated team with ease. Could underwood win this region? Sure, I think it's a tossup this year in that region. Do I believe they are a top ten team, no.
bigpoppakdog

Postby rock83 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:09 pm

The point is the southwest region isnt a super region any more in girls. beating new england or bowman doesnt make you top 10. if you are 500 in a great region that doesnt make more than a 500 team. You are way to into names look at quality. underwood may not be top 5 team, but neither are these other teams you name. If you take out the top few teams then there is a bunch that would be pretty even, including underwood. if someone beats someone by 30 and another team beats that team by 10 that doesnt make one team much better. There is alot more that goes into it than comparable scores.

bigpoppakdog wrote:Another thing, for years the super region was out in the Dickinson area. It was well know that many of those teams(boy's) in that region could have competed against any team in the rest of North Dakota. So does it make a difference who you play? Sure. You can have a team that is undefeated in a weak area and another team that is .500 in a tough region beat that undefeated team with ease. Could underwood win this region? Sure, I think it's a tossup this year in that region. Do I believe they are a top ten team, no.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:55 pm

I don't believe the girls in that region were like the boy's. I was referring to the boys on the difference between a team with a great record from a weak region to a team with a .500 record in a tough region.

We'll see with my "lack of credibility" with my belief on the capabilities of the rock. Again, tourney time is just around the corner.
bigpoppakdog

Postby ndsportsnut » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:22 am

rock83, lets take a scenirio from boys basketball.

T.L.-M beats Max by 40. Underwood beats Max by 7. So your telling me T.L.-M is'nt that much better than Underwoods boys because of the point diferential. Oh and by the way, Max did'nt have their starting point guard playing against the Comets otherwise the Cossacks would have killed ya :lol: :lol:

I think we all know the answer on who's better between Underwood and T.L.-M'S boys! :roll:
ndsportsnut
NDPreps Starter

Postby rock83 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:56 am

for all the people that think that underwood's district is so bad. Did anyone notice that Washburn lost by 3 tonight and should have beat them . So i guess bigpappa that throws your idea that underwood and others cant compete with your super teams.

ndsportsnut wrote:rock83, lets take a scenirio from boys basketball.

T.L.-M beats Max by 40. Underwood beats Max by 7. So your telling me T.L.-M is'nt that much better than Underwoods boys because of the point diferential. Oh and by the way, Max did'nt have their starting point guard playing against the Comets otherwise the Cossacks would have killed ya :lol: :lol:

I think we all know the answer on who's better between Underwood and T.L.-M'S boys! :roll:
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:50 am

Never said Underwood is bad. I don't ever recall saying Underwood was a bad team. Do I believe they are worthy of state rankings? No. Does that mean I think they are a bad team, no.

Using Washburn as a measuring stick does not justify state rankings. Maybe Underwood is, but unfortunately playing in an area that is down in quality teams makes it hard to know exactly where Underwood is compared to the other teams.
bigpoppakdog

Postby cometdad » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:19 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:Never said Underwood is bad. I don't ever recall saying Underwood was a bad team. Do I believe they are worthy of state rankings? No. Does that mean I think they are a bad team, no.

Using Washburn as a measuring stick does not justify state rankings. Maybe Underwood is, but unfortunately playing in an area that is down in quality teams makes it hard to know exactly where Underwood is compared to the other teams.

I think they are pointing out your logic on this being a weak district is flawed. Hazen, a team you think could beat anyone in the district by 30, narrowly escaped with a victory over Washburn by 3 points. It looks to me like there is a lot more parity in the state girls B than you seem to think.
cometdad
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:39 pm

Underwood has narrowly beat many of their opponents this year. Hazen(sounds like you guys have a problem with them? Not me) narrowly beats washburn and now this region is suddenly tough? Looking at the "big" picture, this region is a weak region this year compared to many of the other regions. But the way it sounds, Underwood is going to walk through the region along their way to a state title?
bigpoppakdog

Postby cometdad » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:58 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:Underwood has narrowly beat many of their opponents this year. Hazen(sounds like you guys have a problem with them? Not me) narrowly beats washburn and now this region is suddenly tough? Looking at the "big" picture, this region is a weak region this year compared to many of the other regions. But the way it sounds, Underwood is going to walk through the region along their way to a state title?

No problem with Hazen here - think what Leland and the girls have put together this year is amazing. Was just seeing if you really would eat your words ("Underwood the top team in this region? I would say highly doubtful. Although this region is not very strong this year. A team that should be in the top ten in state? No way. Kidder County was #8 recently and Hazen is #3, I don't believe Underwood could stay within 30 of either team.") after Washburn came within three. Or maybe that 30 you typed was a typo and you meant 3? LOL!
cometdad
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:29 am

I don't like using one team playing another team and seeing the score and then base every other comparison from that one score. Washburn is very well coached again. They lost by 3, but I know they lost by a substantial amount to another team earlier. But this same team only beat another team by 10 who isn't anywhere close to being ranked.(example Kidder county beat HMB by like 13, Napolean beat HMB, Kidder County destroyed Napolean by over 30...so you see doesn't really work.) Will I eat my words? Doubtful. My track record is near perfect when it comes to predictions. Harvey beating Velva in football this year went exactly opposite of my prediction. So I guess it can happen. Can Underwood win this region? Again, yes. Do I think they are a team deserving state rank consideration? No. Too many other teams from better regions and tougher competition deserve more consideration.
bigpoppakdog

Previous

Return to Girls