HMB still ranked. Who comes up with these things?

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

HMB still ranked. Who comes up with these things?

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:38 pm

Now i've seen it all. HMB destroyed by Kidder County yet still held on to a top 10 ranking. When I mean destroyed that was in the first half alone. Wow. Rankings don't matter now, but how do they come up with these things? I am in no way tied to either team. Kidder County is better in every aspect of the game. They could have won by 50 if they ran their studs the whole game. Just can't believe HMB is still considered better than Kidder County. I'd like to hear anybody say otherwise.
bigpoppakdog

Re: HMB still ranked. Who comes up with these things?

Postby baseball » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:24 am

scc wrote:You're probably right. The only justification I can think of is it's hard for a team to drop from #2 one week all the way out of a poll the next. It's also difficult for a team that received no votes to suddenly be in the top ten the next week. That's how it is with any poll on any level.

ding ding ding. teams dont lose one game an automaticaly fall from #2 to UR. just like a team doesnt go from NR to #2 just because they beat the #2 team.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:09 am

carrington undefeated and beat kidder county. Kidder County players indicated carrington is "tough." Didn't quite get the same vibe towards HMB. Actually, a 30 point smackdown before the halftime buzzer sounded pretty much indicated who thought who was better. But, I guess #2 to not being ranked is a legit argument. Again, I know the rankings don't mean squat anyway, if they did there is no way HMB would have or should have been ranked #2. They don't have the personnel to even be considered a threat to Bott. or really even a threat to Kidder County. Not sure why Kidder County is only "receiving votes." I've seen them the past 4 years and this team is just as impressive. I know they have a much more difficult schedule this year to prepare them for the end run. I don't make predictions too often, but when I do I can can say I've been fortunate enough to be pretty accurate, and I see this team challenging bott. in March. Not sure exactly what bott. has so I won't go as far as saying they will beat them. :?: :?:
bigpoppakdog

Postby Irish » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:22 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:carrington undefeated and beat kidder county. Kidder County players indicated carrington is "tough." Didn't quite get the same vibe towards HMB. Actually, a 30 point smackdown before the halftime buzzer sounded pretty much indicated who thought who was better. But, I guess #2 to not being ranked is a legit argument. Again, I know the rankings don't mean squat anyway, if they did there is no way HMB would have or should have been ranked #2. They don't have the personnel to even be considered a threat to Bott. or really even a threat to Kidder County. Not sure why Kidder County is only "receiving votes." I've seen them the past 4 years and this team is just as impressive. I know they have a much more difficult schedule this year to prepare them for the end run. I don't make predictions too often, but when I do I can can say I've been fortunate enough to be pretty accurate, and I see this team challenging bott. in March. Not sure exactly what bott. has so I won't go as far as saying they will beat them. :?: :?:

You must be a die hard Kidder County fan. HMB shouldn't be ranked and probably won't in the future. They definately don't have the talent pool as the likes of Kidder county and Linton, but they do well with what they have. Polls mean nothing just like comments like yours... Keep it up though, you make alot of people laugh.
Irish
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:28 am

Good. You don't see the heated debates like you use to. I'm trying to spark some sort of debate here, but really, I don't think you're going to really see one, because Kidder County is really that much better than HMB. And no, I have ties to either team. Just an observer that definitely feels Kidder County is the real deal. Eli Benz is the best all-around player I've seen in many many years. Sand is very good too, but Benz is that teams MVP because she can do so much.
bigpoppakdog

Postby ndsportsnut » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:57 am

It's early in the season and these rankings really dont hold any water yet. I also feel Kidder County is the better team, but sometimes it's better to fly under the radar. I think it gives teams a little extra incentive to play harder if they get snubbed in the polls. In Bottineau's case, I think they are getting a little complacent in being ranked No. 1. Teams are really going after them. I believe it was D.L.-B ( correct me if I'm wrong), who gave them a run for their money the other night and held Shauna Knife to six points. I think they will get beat before too long, and that might be a good thing for that team to be brought back down to earth. There's alot of season left, and only time will tell how things will shake out. Kidder County will be in mix come tourney time.
ndsportsnut
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbb » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:26 am

No, it wasn't DLB. It was Dickinson Trinity. And I wouldn't call it "gave them a run for their money". Botno was ahead by 20 at one time and ended up winning by 15, 60-45. Knife was held to six points, but the other girls just stepped up with four of them in a double digits. I think it just shows their strength--if you shut them down one way they'll just come back another. Although I do agree any team can get too complacent after being in a position like they are. And they don't have a particularly tough schedule as I see it, so they could get more complacent.
bbb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby mplsfan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:30 am

ndsportsnut wrote:It's early in the season and these rankings really dont hold any water yet. I also feel Kidder County is the better team, but sometimes it's better to fly under the radar. I think it gives teams a little extra incentive to play harder if they get snubbed in the polls. In Bottineau's case, I think they are getting a little complacent in being ranked No. 1. Teams are really going after them. I believe it was D.L.-B ( correct me if I'm wrong), who gave them a run for their money the other night and held Shauna Knife to six points. I think they will get beat before too long, and that might be a good thing for that team to be brought back down to earth. There's alot of season left, and only time will tell how things will shake out. Kidder County will be in mix come tourney time.

Bottineau beat DLB by 27. Hardly "giving them a run for their money". Dickinson Trinity was ranked #4 and was beaten by 15. You have different definition of complacent than I do.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Irish » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:44 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:Good. You don't see the heated debates like you use to. I'm trying to spark some sort of debate here, but really, I don't think you're going to really see one, because Kidder County is really that much better than HMB. And no, I have ties to either team. Just an observer that definitely feels Kidder County is the real deal. Eli Benz is the best all-around player I've seen in many many years. Sand is very good too, but Benz is that teams MVP because she can do so much.

NIce debate, but most people would take sand over benz. Better athlete, hands down.
Irish
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:49 pm

yeah, she really impressed me when she switched to post and displayed some great post moves.
bigpoppakdog

Postby baseball » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:28 pm

honest question...how are you new to sports or just polls?

youve started i tihnk 3 topics about HMB and how KC is better. yea they whiped the floor with them, and probably are better. but just because they were ranked #2 doesnt mean they were hte second best team. they got respect for what they did last year and the numbers they had returning...even if they did lose scheer. I havent seen any girls games this year, but to say KC can give Bottineau a run for there money i think you should look at the team that BEAT KC is you use that logic. Carrington should be higher in the polls then HMB and KC.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:52 pm

I've noted Carrington in my posts. I'm not quite sure what you are saying in the beginning of your post as it structurally makes no sense.

honest question...how are you new to sports or just polls?

can give Bottineau a run for there money i think you should look at the team that BEAT KC is you use that logic.

clarify your sentences please so I can respond.

How can one at 21 years old possible have as many posts as you? 4 years or so since nd.preps existence a year or so under northdakotapreps.com Man, you must have started posting when you were about 13 or so, and averaged over 500 posts a year. That part is impressive. Have to give you props on that. Don't think i've seen anyone with that many posts. How come we haven't crossed paths before? I think I've developed a nice rep for trying to stir the pot and don't remember every discussing any topics with you.
Last edited by bigpoppakdog on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigpoppakdog

Postby #36 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:14 pm

Underwood beat them today. By like four. It was a crazy good game.
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baseball » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:26 pm

did you really just call out my spelling and use of punctuation of a message board?

i get that many posts because over the years tehre have been a few topics i have had strong opinions about, such as recruiting and shot clocks in class b.

what do you not understand about the question "are you new to all sports or just polls?" would you like me to phrase it are you new to all sports? or just polls? because under my very weak grammar skills i would consider "or just polls" to be a fragment, but i may be wrong.

the one thing i have learned with my experiences on message boards is that when someone loses an arguement, they attack a person's spelling and grammar instead of backing up their own points. i have been misunderstood a time or 2 but i would consider my posts pretty understandable. sure i may put the verb in the wrong place or use a comma when i should use a colan but whatever.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:35 pm

I couldn't understand what you were saying. I did edit my post out of respect before your response as a sign of respect. Anybody that has been around as long as you have deserves it. Had I looked closer I wouldn't have responded the way I did. There has been a lot of newb's this year that come on and are pretty brash with only 2 or 3 posts.

As far as I was concerned, I did address carrington. Thought they should be ranked. Don't think there was anything else? The rankings for this week don't make any sense. But like I said, do they really matter anyway? Not until the very last one comes out.
bigpoppakdog

Postby baseball » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:43 pm

i will agree...the only thing polls are good for are discussion/debate like this one haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:02 am

Off topic, but i will vouch for baseballs post count. He was very opinionated a while back!

On topic, I'm guessing that the pollsters were thinking that the game was probably a fluke where they lost so bad. The one nice thing about polls is that they have given rise to message boards to debate their validity.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Deuce » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:40 am

There's a rematch this Friday. KC at HMB.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cometdad » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:01 am

Doubt the re-match will generate as much excitement now - HMB lost to Underwood last night and KC recently lost to Carrington.
cometdad
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bballa » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:14 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:Good. You don't see the heated debates like you use to. I'm trying to spark some sort of debate here, but really, I don't think you're going to really see one, because Kidder County is really that much better than HMB. And no, I have ties to either team. Just an observer that definitely feels Kidder County is the real deal. Eli Benz is the best all-around player I've seen in many many years. Sand is very good too, but Benz is that teams MVP because she can do so much.

Wow for just being an observer u show a lot of hatred towards HMB and a lot of love for Kidder County, especially Eli Benz. Even in the New Salem tourney topic u go about insulting the HMB players and in this topic you make Benz sound like the best player in the state when Sand is 5 times the player she is. Lets remember last year in this region it didnt matter how the regular season turned out cuz everything got shook up at tourney time anyway, no matter what seed u were. It's still early. It'll be interesting how everyhting unfolds.
Bballa

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:22 pm

no hatred towards HMB. No love though either from me. Ranked #2 very overrated. Take sand or benz out and kidder county is a much different team without a doubt. I believe you start in the middle and work your way out, so it's all personal opinion as far as that goes. Do I think Sand is 5 times better than Benz, absolutely not. Would I take either one on my team without a doubt. Nice article in the paper about HMB wanting to play them again. It's at HMB so we'll have to see. My prediction: KC 65 HMB 40 being a little closer due to home court advantage.

Yeah, KC did beat HMB last year in the tourney also, i believe by 17. But, comparing last year to this year is pointless. HMB obviously was effected by graduation a lot more than KC. I'll have to look at my previous posts as I don't believe I "insulted" any HMB player. I try hard not to "insult" other players. I did state Benz is superior to fettig and sand is superior to HMB guards. Is this not an accurate statement? Is this an insult to anybody? I don't think so. Do I believe HMB has any good shooters? No. I don't see any of them being consistent from anywhere on the floor as far as shooting goes. Sheets is a threat because she takes it to the basket, and Brindle can post you up but she is not very tall. Fettig will finish her shots if she gets the ball at the block, but doesn't generate much on her own. If my observations are incorrect, then fine, provide other viewpoints. Won't bother me any. I don't believe they follow the definition of an "insult."

I enjoy some debate on these forums, not reading stats. I can get that from the newspaper. If it takes my posts to draw some more newb's great. I see I must have been a part of adding another newb to the nd.preps family.
bigpoppakdog

Postby 1softballump » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:10 am

Last season, SD was ranked in all 10 polls, as high as 4th. Their one loss during the regular season was to HMB. HMB was ranked two non-consecutive weeks, week 1 at 10th and week #7 at 8th. Week 3 they didn't even recieve votes then went on to beat SD who was ranked 4th Week 3. SD dropped to 8th and HMB received votes. Yes is was a much closer game last year, but it still didn't shake up the rankings too much.

Point being - Polls don't count, tournament games count, oh and having fun!!!!!!!!!
1softballump

Postby imperials » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:02 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:no hatred towards HMB. No love though either from me. Ranked #2 very overrated. Take sand or benz out and kidder county is a much different team without a doubt. I believe you start in the middle and work your way out, so it's all personal opinion as far as that goes. Do I think Sand is 5 times better than Benz, absolutely not. Would I take either one on my team without a doubt. Nice article in the paper about HMB wanting to play them again. It's at HMB so we'll have to see. My prediction: KC 65 HMB 40 being a little closer due to home court advantage.

Yeah, KC did beat HMB last year in the tourney also, i believe by 17. But, comparing last year to this year is pointless. HMB obviously was effected by graduation a lot more than KC. I'll have to look at my previous posts as I don't believe I "insulted" any HMB player. I try hard not to "insult" other players. I did state Benz is superior to fettig and sand is superior to HMB guards. Is this not an accurate statement? Is this an insult to anybody? I don't think so. Do I believe HMB has any good shooters? No. I don't see any of them being consistent from anywhere on the floor as far as shooting goes. Sheets is a threat because she takes it to the basket, and Brindle can post you up but she is not very tall. Fettig will finish her shots if she gets the ball at the block, but doesn't generate much on her own. If my observations are incorrect, then fine, provide other viewpoints. Won't bother me any. I don't believe they follow the definition of an "insult."

I enjoy some debate on these forums, not reading stats. I can get that from the newspaper. If it takes my posts to draw some more newb's great. I see I must have been a part of adding another newb to the nd.preps family.

THE GAME IS AT STEELE NOT HAZELTON
imperials
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:33 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:It's at HMB so we'll have to see. My prediction: KC 65 HMB 40 being a little closer due to home court advantage.

but whats your prediction if the game were to be played in Steele? since thats where it is and all...

do u predict a 40 pt win for KC...giving a few extra points cuz its on their home floor?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:54 am

I thought the paper said the game is in HMB. If it's in steele I look at it being another 65 to 35 type game. At steele 30 point win, at HMB 20 to 25 point win. I just don't see HMB being able to score more than 35 points against steele or anybody that can handle the press. HMB's downfall is not being able to struggle the defense out of the paint to allow fettig room to move. I think you will see teams run a 2-3 zone and not guard anybody on the baseline, but rather keep them inside so fettig double teamed the whole game, and keep there eye on wherever sheets is. Can HMB shut down KC? I don't know if they can. They have some good defenders-sheets, weiser, brindle, kalberer are good defenders and Fettig is 6'0" so that its tough for most players to score. Benz is not the average type post so she will be successful against pretty much anybody in my opinion. I think the HMB's biggest hope is to do something to slow down KC perimeter or hope they have a bad shooting night(which can easily happen) where they are only scoring 30 to 40 points.

Based on the article in the paper, I could also see it worse than 65 to 35 if its played in steele. We'll have to wait and see I guess.
bigpoppakdog

Next

Return to Girls