Kidder County Destroys #2 HMB

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Kidder County Destroys #2 HMB

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:28 pm

HMB obviously ranked #2 based on last year and what was returning. What is obvious is that the two players that graduated were major players. Kidder County was up by 27 at half(37-10) and won by 30. It doesn't matter until tourny time, but from what I saw, there is absolutely NO WAY HMB can stay within 30 ever against kidder county. The only way I could see kidder county not winning this region is a injury to Eli Benz or sand. It might take both of these two to go down with injury for anybody in that region to stand a chance. Anybody else in that region a serious threat besides HMB?
bigpoppakdog

Re: Kidder County Destroys #2 HMB

Postby Nodak Guy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:32 pm

The only team to pose a threat from District 5 should be LMM, and I don't think they are that scary right now. PBK might be decent, and Edgeley-Kulm has a little bit of talent. Then it's Ellendale, BCN, Central Prairie, and LaMoure. The whole district is down, and it looks like District 6 will mop up come Regional time. Don't count out Linton, as they will always be competitive.
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:14 pm

from watching steele this past week, I think they have a legit shot at winning it all. They have a salty guard in Sand, the best all-around post player I've personally seen in girls bb since the waldahl's from the late 80's early 90's in Eli Benz and a bunch of role players that you need to have that complete team. They have this slaughter girl that doesn't stand out, but is one of those players that can do a lot of different things for you on the floor. They do have a couple big girls off the bench that can give you some good minutes w/o the danger of the wheels falling off. From what some of the players said, carrington and NR/Sheyenne are going to be two tough teams, but are not in their region. You could see kidder county's intensity during warmups and you could sense the "uneasiness" in HMB.

kidder county strategy(hint hint mr.lehr) was to not guard any of hmb's outside players except sheets. This way they always had one behind and one in front of fettig. Can't remember, but I believe fettig had one basket and 2 free throws in the first half and actually can't remember her scoring anything else. I think if HMB doesn't improve their outside shooting you will see all teams play a 2-3 defense sagging in the middle and not even bothering guarding anybody outside. Can't really see any of those guards suddenly become great shooters over the course of the year. Pretty good defenders, but not very good shooters. Brindle will post you up well, but she is not that tall either. If you go man against them that will give them the best opportunity against you. If you go zone don't front fettig, just keep the guards in so sheets can't drive and if they make 2 or 3 three pointers so be it because they aint going to make any more than that. I think napolean can beat HMB if they change their defensive strategy a bit.
bigpoppakdog

Postby abcdefg » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:26 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:HMB obviously ranked #2 based on last year and what was returning. What is obvious is that the two players that graduated were major players. Kidder County was up by 27 at half(37-10) and won by 30. It doesn't matter until tourny time, but from what I saw, there is absolutely NO WAY HMB can stay within 30 ever against kidder county. The only way I could see kidder county not winning this region is a injury to Eli Benz or sand. It might take both of these two to go down with injury for anybody in that region to stand a chance. Anybody else in that region a serious threat besides HMB?

hmb shut down sand and benz in tonights game they were with in 3 at hafe and lost by 12 ones hmb starts to hit ther outside shots it will be 5 point game at the end ..comes tourny time kc will not do so good . and hmb lost one player last year
abcdefg

Postby baseball » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:55 am

abcdefg wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote:HMB obviously ranked #2 based on last year and what was returning. What is obvious is that the two players that graduated were major players. Kidder County was up by 27 at half(37-10) and won by 30. It doesn't matter until tourny time, but from what I saw, there is absolutely NO WAY HMB can stay within 30 ever against kidder county. The only way I could see kidder county not winning this region is a injury to Eli Benz or sand. It might take both of these two to go down with injury for anybody in that region to stand a chance. Anybody else in that region a serious threat besides HMB?

hmb shut down sand and benz in tonights game they were with in 3 at hafe and lost by 12 ones hmb starts to hit ther outside shots it will be 5 point game at the end ..comes tourny time kc will not do so good . and hmb lost one player last year

Mark Sand with 2 star players or Bjerkle with an above average team? I take Sand...the man has things up his sleeve. other guys can coach and konw basketball, but he is the smartest high school basketball mind i have personally talked to. i would go ahead and say bet the house that KC makes state.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rock83 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:17 am

Wow, how does Kidder County ever lose a game. Sand does a nice job at kidder. But I think there are some other coaches that deserve a little more respect. Flyberg maybe? He has won more games than sand will ever watch.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:41 am

rock83 wrote:Wow, how does Kidder County ever lose a game. Sand does a nice job at kidder. But I think there are some other coaches that deserve a little more respect. Flyberg maybe? He has won more games than sand will ever watch.

When did Flyberg start coaching? Sand started as the girls coach in steele in 04 i believe....of course flyberg is going to have more wins. Sand took an identical teams that was like 3-16 the year before to a 3rd place finish in regionals his first year and state his 2nd. Sure there might be other coaches with more wins, but i dont think you can find a smarter coach in the girls game...just my opinion. And of course Flyberg will win more games then Sand, he will likely be done coaching the girls after this year so he can coach his son i'm sure.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby triplebbb » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:54 am

Coach Sand also coached the Steele-Dawson boys in the early 90's and took them to state class b in 1991.
triplebbb
NDPreps Starter

Postby rock83 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:35 pm

I'm sure Coach Sand is a very good coach. But coaching a few years doesnt make you the best coach ever. Doing it over a long period of time is very difficult. 3 or 4 years isnt a long time. You have to respect what coach Flyberg has done in Linton. He is a very good coach and deserves respect for what he has done over a long period of time.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:16 pm

i do respect what Flryberg has done, you have to be good to win that many games. but Im not goign to label him a better coach just because hes coached longer and has more wins. ive talked to both and from my experiences Sand just knows the game better. its not a knock saying flyberg is bad, just that Sand is a basketball genious, but because he's only coached 5 years hes average at best
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:31 pm

baseball wrote:...just that Sand is a basketball genious...

Being a basketball genius does not make you a good coach or even an average coach.

I don't know coach Sand and have never seen one of his teams play and haven't seen one of Flyberg's teams play in around 5 years, but wasn't it just last year when Steele-Dawson and HMB had by far the most talent in the region and Linton was giving both teams very tough games?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Nodak Guy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:40 pm

Flip wrote:
baseball wrote:...just that Sand is a basketball genious...

Being a basketball genius does not make you a good coach or even an average coach.

I don't know coach Sand and have never seen one of his teams play and haven't seen one of Flyberg's teams play in around 5 years, but wasn't it just last year when Steele-Dawson and HMB had by far the most talent in the region and Linton was giving both teams very tough games?

Flyberg had a down year last year (a year that most any other school would be happy to have).

Although it's a little off subject, what school in the state could compare with the teams/wins that Linton has had over the past 20+ years with Flyberg coaching the girls and Carr coaching the boys? Hands down, the best tandem in North Dakota coaching since the 90's! I don't think that there are any other schools in the state that could even come close. Comments?
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:45 pm

Only comment would be "you are correct."
bigpoppakdog

Postby baseball » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:03 pm

If anyone tries to argue that Linton has not had the best basketball teams since the 90s hasnt lived in the state very long. you could even throw football in there. I dont know how they do things down there but my guess is they get them young. its not that they have seasons with bad players but still win games, but that year after year there dont have bad teams....if that makes sense. they have kids down there who want to learn and play the game, they also have great people to learn from.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:05 am

I would say the only program that could come close to Linton would be Velva. But even said that I think their girls only made it to state the one year(or maybe two) and don't recall the boys ever being very good in bb. That region where LInton HMB etc...has been the best region overall for sports in my opinion. Although the region from the west (trinity killdeer etc...) could make a good argument the past few years.
bigpoppakdog

Postby Flip » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:24 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:That region where LInton HMB etc...has been the best region overall for sports in my opinion.

When was the last time region 3 won a state basketball tournament? Boys or girls. I
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Girls