Region 5 updates

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 5 updates

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:22 pm

What else would a fan of an overrated team do? Blame the officials. Easiest thing to do. If underwood was justified with state rankings, they would dispatch of Washburn like other state ranked teams did. Or at least like Grant County did(who is 10 and 10 this year). It's tourney time, so anything can happen. The cream will rise to the top and the pretenders will be eliminated(whomever that may be.) If underwood rises to the top, so be it, and good luck at state. Like I said, this region tournament will be represented by overall very week teams. Underwood, the Rock, and Washburn(?) are the only teams with winning records, or records that are respectable. A
bigpoppakdog

Postby cometdad » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:30 pm

big poppa - I probably shouldn't question Benji's motives. He's usually one of the better ref's around but this was an "Ed Hochuli" type mistake. Sam Schell is an amazing player and I don't doubt if she continues to improve at the rate she has that she'll be in the running for miss basketball in two years. That said of course her fouling out with 2:30 left and us at the line with the chance to close up to 2 points definately changes the game. ndsportsnut is attributing quotes to me that I didn't make - I think the first two times we played Washburn were great games (no beef with the officials or injuries). The only beef I have with what you're saying is I still don't think you are giving district 5 a fair shake as far as team quality and you're right - only way to prove up is to play.
cometdad
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:46 pm

Your district is by FAR stronger than the other district. Not sure if I didn't make that part clear. But it is. I think TLM has a winning record also. Looks like most of the teams coming out of the other district are below 500 or right at 500. I do believe the Rock will be the most difficult team anybody in that region will play.
bigpoppakdog

Postby 9manfootballmom » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:41 pm

Ok How about pairing for next week's region 5 games? Can anyone give the brackets?
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scramblinfran » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:48 pm

Afternoon session will be:

Washburn vs. Center
TL-M vs. New Salem

Evening session:

Underwood vs. Grant County
Standing Rock vs. Sheridan County
scramblinfran
NDPreps Starter

Postby 9manfootballmom » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:51 pm

Thanks fran...do you happen to know times?
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scramblinfran » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:54 pm

I think they start at 3:30 and then should be 5:00 , 6:30, 8:00 - I have the games in the right order and I'm pretty sure these are the times.
scramblinfran
NDPreps Starter

Postby 9manfootballmom » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:03 am

SO uNDERWOOD PLAYS AT 6:30 ON MONDAY IN Mandan against Grant County. can you tell me how that first meeting went?
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cometdad » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:21 am

Underwood won at Grant County (49-42)
cometdad
NDPreps Starter

Postby inthestands » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:28 pm

I think that you just need to take the lost that was given cometdad! Washburn has a strong stacked team, even if Schell would have fouled out there were other players who scored in the last two minutes who would've won the strong fought game for them. It's always excuses when it comes to a poor game for Underwood. It was a good game, if Underwood is so amazing and state ranked don't you think they could've pulled ahead way in the lead, then that foul would have never mattered, but they didn't...washburn lead the game and finished. Take the loss.
inthestands
NDPreps Rookie

Postby cometdad » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:30 pm

Sounds like you saw the game and must be from Washburn. Anyone at that game knows it was a game changing call. Washburn is definately NOT a stacked team - Schell does all of the heavy lifting with an occasional good game by one of the other players - no one else consistently steps up. Jacobsen is designing the team around Sam (can anyone say Ruthie Dockter).
I also might have been too quick to give Benji a pass on why that call went Washburn's way. The boys teams met last night with Benji officiating and his parents came from Wilton to watch the game - they sat on the Washburn side dressed in Cardinal shirts. To his credit this game was fairly officiated though.
cometdad
NDPreps Starter

Postby rock83 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:36 pm

Washburn was ahead the whole game, by as much as 13 at one time. They were clearly the better team that night. Maybe not the next time.

cometdad wrote:Sounds like you saw the game and must be from Washburn. Anyone at that game knows it was a game changing call. Washburn is definately NOT a stacked team - Schell does all of the heavy lifting with an occasional good game by one of the other players - no one else consistently steps up. Jacobsen is designing the team around Sam (can anyone say Ruthie Dockter).
I also might have been too quick to give Benji a pass on why that call went Washburn's way. The boys teams met last night with Benji officiating and his parents came from Wilton to watch the game - they sat on the Washburn side dressed in Cardinal shirts. To his credit this game was fairly officiated though.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby cometdad » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:11 pm

I notice that no defends that call - a few say it didn't matter but seems like everyone agrees he got it wrong. I agree that Washburn outplayed us for most of the game but we were definately coming back and turning it into a game. Washburn is a good team and again - the first two times we played were great games (notice - no excuses or complaints!!!!!!!!). Would pay to see the outcome if we could re-wind and yes, Washburn might have won it but it would have been great to see.
cometdad
NDPreps Starter

Postby rock83 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:25 pm

the Underwood girl came in and ran into schell. The underwood girl fell backwards because she wasnt very balance, out of control. So yes it was a good call. I believe that washburn's three best players were in foul trouble and ankenbauer fouled out, and you think underwood got the shaft. How many times does washburn have to out play underwood before you will accept they are pretty good. Underwood has a great team, but they havent outplayed washburn yet.

cometdad wrote:I notice that no defends that call - a few say it didn't matter but seems like everyone agrees he got it wrong. I agree that Washburn outplayed us for most of the game but we were definately coming back and turning it into a game. Washburn is a good team and again - the first two times we played were great games (notice - no excuses or complaints!!!!!!!!). Would pay to see the outcome if we could re-wind and yes, Washburn might have won it but it would have been great to see.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby cometdad » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:33 pm

I just said Washburn was a good team - try reading before answering???? IF the contact happened like you say why did Schell land on top of our player - shouldn't she have bounced backwards? That was easily the worst call of the tournament!!!!!!!!!
cometdad
NDPreps Starter

Postby rock83 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:06 pm

Because the girl that hit schell isnt very strong and coordinated.

cometdad wrote:I just said Washburn was a good team - try reading before answering???? IF the contact happened like you say why did Schell land on top of our player - shouldn't she have bounced backwards? That was easily the worst call of the tournament!!!!!!!!!
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby cometdad » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:11 pm

That makes no sense at all - have you ever taken a physics class? 2 girls of comparable height and weight go up for a loose ball. In the real world the only way Schell could have knocked her back and landed on top of her is if she was moving into the opposing player.
cometdad
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:36 pm

Hey welcome back 9manfootballmom. You're year has been going pretty good.(I know who you are...a little elf filled me in a while ago.)
bigpoppakdog

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:52 pm

Ok. Just for curiosity, somebody explain to me how the play in question happened. I will give you the answer according to what the rule book states.

Also, I might be eating my words about the Rock. They will have to play much much much better to go 3-0 in the region tourny.
bigpoppakdog

Postby T reporter » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:54 am

Does it matter how the play happened? You can not be in a situation where an officals call could win or lose the game. YOU have to play the game! Play good ball and it WILL NOT happen
T reporter
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:43 pm

Every close loss of every game of basketball is eventually blamed on the officials. That's why we don't discuss that here, it will kill every topic. When the horn sounds, the game is done.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby crashdavis16 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:27 am

First of all, I would like to make the point that unlike you, I do not opt for the anonymity that this board provides. Fans have been sending letters and making phone calls to officials for years and this is just a new way to add frustration to an already difficult job. This is Ben Schafer, and I was not a member of this board until I received a text that said I was popular on ndpreps.com. I had to ask where to even find the information because I normally do not look at sites such as this. Cometdad, while it is possible that you are well intentioned, this is not the way to go about what you are attempting to accomplish. High School sports are meant to promote sportsmanship, citizenship and ethics. Judging by the comments you have made I am not sure that you understand that. I am a teacher because I enjoy working with kids, I coach because I enjoy working with kids, I referee because I enjoy working with kids, and I hope to be a father someday because I truly enjoy kids. I would never, ever, ever, ever make a call based on where I am from or who I know. I wouldn’t have consistently received postseason tournaments in 3 different sports, in three different areas of the state had I played favorites on the court or field. I just plain do not do it.
Ninety-nine percent of fans were looking at the shot when the foul that I saw occurred, the right leg of the comet player swept into the left leg of the other player which I felt caused the ensuing contact. People only saw the contact on the upper part of the bodies that happened as a result of that contact. It is possible that I saw the play incorrectly, but I called it with no prejudice, bias or whatever you would like to accuse me of. That said, I realize that you have written two positive comments about my officiating as well.
Missed calls happen to every official from time to time (Remember the Superbowl a few years ago?) even with people who are paid over $100,000 per year to do the job. Mind you, I am not admitting to being wrong on the call...I called what I felt was right. The fans were pretty quiet about the officiating until quarter number four. Maybe because the pressure was ratcheted up?
This is not at all to start an argument or to continue banter on the subject; I will not be posting any more replies to this thread. However, think about this for a second; how many coaches scream and yell at kids like they used to? Very few coaches is the correct answer. Who do you think is going to be officiating games for years to come? Is it going to be the kids who don’t like being yelled at by a coach? I sure enjoy working with them, but there are a lot of 50 and overs out there officiating. How many guys my age are working regularly? Numbers will continue to be a problem in officiating because we have to deal with junk like this.
WHY use my name? Just say “an official” if you NEED to make this comment. Why attempt to push an official, who by your own admission is “one of the better refs around,” out of the business because of one call? What potential good can come from a comment like that? Could you possibly follow the guidelines set forth by the site: “Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship.”
I just ask that you be a fan of the kids and leave the refs alone until you are willing to dawn a shirt and whistle. Possibly then you would know how seriously we officials take our vocation.
crashdavis16
NDPreps Rookie

Postby cometdad » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:39 am

Great letter and my apologies. Glad there are people reffing and next time, i'll refrain from posting on what I wholeheartedly agree is a tough job.
cometdad
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:19 am

In response to the letter:

Valid points. But, keep in mind, if you wear the stripes, or put on a shirt and tie and coach, there will ALWAYS be people who will criticize or critique your work. I do agree with the need for sportsmanship and I do not agree that there should be innuendo's put out there about who lives where and so on. I also feel that if you put on the stripes you need to expect criticism and develop a little thicker skin. I have seen some officials this year that have indeed called a very poor game overall. Should one not discuss it? I think one can, but not to throw out "he lives here" or "he works for so and so." I don't think it is wrong to discuss the play and what the "viewpoints" were and then what the rulebook states. A lot of times people think someone was called wrong, but by what the rules are the call was correct. I applaud the person defending themselves, and hopefully I never am in a situation where I accuse anybody of making a bad call because of personal reasons(though I seen things happen where I wonder if that's the case), but I will always be up for a good discussion regarding if the call was correct and I don't think that discussion should be classified as wrong. Officiating is part of sport and should be discussed. Keep the personal stuff out of it though.
bigpoppakdog

Postby Eminence » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:59 am

What happens alot of times in games is the rotation of the refs.

For example, one ref will call a hand check or travel alot closer than other. Due to the rotation, it may be every 3rd roation, it gets called which results in fans declaring the refs inconsistent.

I think to minimize the differences, refs should decide before the game starts on how close or what they will call.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Girls