Mercy Rule in Basketball?

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Mercy Rule in Basketball?

Postby Flip » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:43 pm

MN has adopted a rule in high school basketball which requires the clock to run continously if a team is ahead by 35+ points and there is less than 9 minutes left in the 2nd half. I'm pretty certain ND didn't make this a rule this past year, and I haven't heard any discussions about it, but it could be coming. I was wondering what everyone else thought of the rule. Me, I think it is a stupid rule. Sure there are some coaches that will play their regulars longer than they should, but in general all they are doing is taking away time from the kids at the end of the bench. Or the losing team could gain some confidence by leaving their starters in a little longer against the winning team's backups.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Re: Mercy Rule in Basketball?

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:59 pm

why not? they do it in football. now days kids and parents are so wimpy they can't handle getting beat by more than 20 points. This would save the whining parents(actually whining moms) complaining about poor sportsmanship.
bigpoppakdog

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:38 pm

In football, I think the mercy rule has to do more with safety. Some of the teams that struggle with numbers and have to play freshmen and sophomores against some powerhouse team with all seniors that are horses, there's a big chance for kids getting hurt. That's why if the other team is up by 30, the clock runs continuously equalling less time on the field and a chance of getting hurt. Basketball is a bit different if you look at it that way. I don't agree with a mercy rule in bball.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:58 pm

yes, but these powerhouses also have fresh and sophomores also. They could easily play their younger players also during the second half.
bigpoppakdog

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:22 am

Yes, you're right but not all coaches play it that way. Also, some team that is low on numbers might be stacked with seniors and the other team low on numbers might only have freshmen and sophomores playing. I was just stating that I know that is why the mercy rule in fball was put in place. I guess I'd rather not have it and just play the game.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Return to Girls