Miss Basketball '09

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Miss Basketball '09

Postby ball23 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:27 pm

Who are some girls that could win this award?

One right off the top of my head is Shaunna Knife. Tough tough ball player.
ball23

Re: Miss Basketball '09

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:14 pm

I would think Sarah Feeney from Bismarck High would be the early favorite. She is going D1 to the University of Denver.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby mplsfan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:22 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:I would think Sarah Feeney from Bismarck High would be the early favorite. She is going D1 to the University of Denver.

I know that Denver is D1 in hockey, but aren't they D2 in basketball? Just curious. This isn't meant to be a reflection in Sarah Feeney one way or the other.
I'm an oldie and remember well when Sarah Feeney's mother was a huge star in that unbeatable Williston program. They were the Mandan and Bottineau of the mid 70's to early 80's. Interestingly enough, it was Bottineau that ended Willistons 57 game winning streak in 1978 in the Class A Northwest Region semi's. Williston didn't get to state and Bottineau went on to be the Class A runner-up to Minot. A little history for the younger ones on the board.
Looking forward to the upcoming season.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:05 pm

Have we ever had a season in which multiple girls signed to play D1? I want to see who the voters go with, when they can't use that as the sole criteria. (Not that they always do, but I can't think of a D1 player who has not won Mr. or Miss Basketball.)
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:16 pm

mplsfan wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:I would think Sarah Feeney from Bismarck High would be the early favorite. She is going D1 to the University of Denver.

I know that Denver is D1 in hockey, but aren't they D2 in basketball?

I believe they are in the Sun Belt conference that is D1. It was reported in the Bismarck Tribune.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:19 pm

balla45 wrote:Have we ever had a season in which multiple girls signed to play D1? I want to see who the voters go with, when they can't use that as the sole criteria. (Not that they always do, but I can't think of a D1 player who has not won Mr. or Miss Basketball.)

Last year, wasn't there a player from Dakota Prairie, Gillette, who was going to North Dakota, and Miller from New Town won it. Also, I don't know where Alex Feeney from Bismarck went to college and she was nominated.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby mplsfan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:23 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
mplsfan wrote:

I know that Denver is D1 in hockey, but aren't they D2 in basketball?

I believe they are in the Sun Belt conference that is D1. It was reported in the Bismarck Tribune.

Okay, I stand corrrected.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Deuce » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:54 am

scoobyx2 wrote:
balla45 wrote:Have we ever had a season in which multiple girls signed to play D1? I want to see who the voters go with, when they can't use that as the sole criteria. (Not that they always do, but I can't think of a D1 player who has not won Mr. or Miss Basketball.)

Last year, wasn't there a player from Dakota Prairie, Gillette, who was going to North Dakota, and Miller from New Town won it. Also, I don't know where Alex Feeney from Bismarck went to college and she was nominated.

I beleive Alex Feeney went to Augustana.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby stunt double » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:03 am

Bobbi Grann..from now New Rockford
stunt double

Postby ndsportsnut » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:38 am

Iknow it should'nt matter how well your team does because this is an individual award, but it seems like it usually does. If Bottineau wins the title again, (which I think they will), I think Shauna Knife will win Ms. Basketball hands down.
ndsportsnut
NDPreps Starter

Postby eastwood99 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:45 am

Shauna Knife-Bottineau
Sarah Feeney-Bismarck High
Bobbi Grann-New Rockford/Sheyenne
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:29 pm

I know this is a girls topic....but you said mr/miss....so travis kraft went to South Carolina and didn't win
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby SDHoops » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:37 pm

It will be between Ali Collins (Mandan), Shaunna Knife (Bottineau), and Sarah Feeney (Bismarck). There might be some others in the mix, but come on. These three girls have lit it up during their careers as well as the summer circuits against the region's best players. If Mandan wins it again, they will have to go through Collins. It would be one of Amundson's toughest coaching year yet and Collins would have to deliver more than ever. Shaunna Knife is Shaunna Knife. She is a slasher, a shooter, and she can post up if needed. I didn't even mention her ballhandling skills. Sarah Feeney has the smarts and is good at both offense and defense. Any of these three deserve it.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby pakkyzoo » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:11 pm

stunt double wrote:Bobbi Grann..from now New Rockford

Since when did Bobbi Grann go to New Rockford? I thought she was at Leeds-Minnewauken?? I know she play for them the last 3 years.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby basketball1427 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:15 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:
stunt double wrote:Bobbi Grann..from now New Rockford

Since when did Bobbi Grann go to New Rockford? I thought she was at Leeds-Minnewauken?? I know she play for them the last 3 years.

she started goin there this year
basketball1427
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:46 pm

I really don't see Bobbi Grann being up for Ms. Bball. She has had great numbers the last two seasons, but I think it will be a lot different this year when she's at NRS. She has a lot of talent around her and will not average 25 pts/gm. Probably down around 15. However, I think NRS is a heavy favorite to make it to state so with all the press coverage and if she's the top player on her team, she might get nominated.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:11 pm

ndsportsnut wrote:Iknow it should'nt matter how well your team does because this is an individual award, but it seems like it usually does. If Bottineau wins the title again, (which I think they will), I think Shauna Knife will win Ms. Basketball hands down.

If team success is what matters, Ali Collins already has 3 titles.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:11 pm

The Schwab wrote:

I know this is a girls topic....but you said mr/miss....so travis kraft went to South Carolina and didn't win

This is true, but Brandt went D1 that year also, I believe.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:28 pm

balla45 wrote:
ndsportsnut wrote:Iknow it should'nt matter how well your team does because this is an individual award, but it seems like it usually does. If Bottineau wins the title again, (which I think they will), I think Shauna Knife will win Ms. Basketball hands down.

Both these players are outstanding, but I think Miss Basketball will go to a player who is the definite standout on her team. That is a hard distinction to earn on a championship team that has a lot of other (or even one other) great players. I think it will go to a Class A player this year. Feeney, Collins, or maybe even that 1st team all-stater from Jamestown.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:32 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
balla45 wrote:

Both these players are outstanding, but I think Miss Basketball will go to a player who is the definite standout on her team. That is a hard distinction to earn on a championship team that has a lot of other (or even one other) great players. I think it will go to a Class A player this year. Feeney, Collins, or maybe even that 1st team all-stater from Jamestown.

Candidates in order as of right now.

Feeney
Collins---If she was already signed, she would be leading.
Knife
Dale

This has to be one of the most talented classes in a very long time.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:36 pm

I agree with your order. It will make the BHS and Mandan rivalry even more interesting.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:59 am

balla45 wrote:This is true, but Brandt went D1 that year also, I believe.

99% sure Brandt went to North Dakota.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ball23 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:53 pm

I think it'll come down to who takes there team the fartest, I'm a shaunna knife fan and she's been doing her thing since she's been in 8th grade. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say a class b player will win this award again and it'll be shaunna knife.
ball23

Postby balla45 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:49 pm

Flip wrote:
balla45 wrote:This is true, but Brandt went D1 that year also, I believe.

99% sure Brandt went to North Dakota.

Yea I think you are right, I was thinking that they are D1 now, but they wouldn't have been at that time.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby basketball1427 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:17 pm

did Shauna Knife sign with Mary??
i thought i saw that somewhere
basketball1427