Miss Basketball '09

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Miss Basketball '09

Postby Baller » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:27 pm

Eminence wrote:Miss Basketball to me is a girl who not only dominates the sport, but makes her team excel. You need to compare it to the impact they have on their team and on basketball as a whole. I don't think it's about just one year but what that girl has done over the course her high school career.

Sorry,but I still don't think she represents the top Miss Basketball candidate because she:
1. Moved to a lower division, left her teammates, and was not the top player on her new team. I do think she made the team better but she was not the sole reason they won state. I do think alot of players were not happy with her leaving the Lady Braves and leave it at that.
2. As a sophmore, they didn't make it to state and she was not selected as an All Stater.
Pros for Shanna:
1. Won 1 state championship and was on the all state team as a junior. She is the top Class B player this year.

Now look at the top 3 in Class A:
1. Dale, top on her team for several years. Did not make it to state last year and was selected All State as a junior. Did take her team to state as a sophmore and took 4th.
2. Feeney, was not the top on her team until this year. Took 2nd in state last year and was selected All State as a junior. As a sophmore, they took 5th at state.
3. Collins, was top on her team last year and this year. Has been a state champion for 3 years. Selected All State as a junior and as a sophmore.
4. Caitlyn Haring needs to be considered. I don't know that she is the best on her team. Not an all stater but is a key component on Fargo South Team.

Based on that:
1. Collins
2. Dale
3. Shanna
4. Feeney
5. Caitlyn

Haring was voted Co-MVP of her team last year and was 2nd team all state. She may not be the leading scorer, but is definately the best player in that she makes everyone around her so much better. I think that the fact that Jamestown is not going to be very good this year will hurt Morgan. No matter what Knife's reasons are for leaving, I think she was the best player on her team. I think the fact that she played for Belcourt as a soph hurt her chances of being all state. I think the Drama that surrounds BHS and the feeney's will hurt Sarah's chances of winning it.
My rankings are:
1. Collins
2. Knife
3. DAle
4. Feeney
5. Haring
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:27 pm

Eminence wrote:WOW, no one is personally attacking anyone. When Finley moved to Mandan, they said she was chasing a trophy, same as what was said in 2007 for Shanna. Some people have that opinion, you can't deny it. Based on the accomplishments for each one of my 5 picks, I don't know that Shanna has done more than Dale or Collins. Those are my two top picks. I think Shanna is #1 in class B, just not over class A. All 5 of them were in Class A as a sophmore, and I think Dale and Collins have been top in their class since then.

Since I don't see a lot of Class B games, what other Class B girls should get recognition?

Looking at it this way, I do tend to agree with you. I still think it is a tight race between all four of them. Collins has had the best career so far, but Dale and Feeney are not far behind. Knife has had a very good career, and is an excellent ball player, but I am sure some of the voters will think the way that you do.

I would be surprised if Collins didn't win it, simply because if she does, no one has a good argument against her. 4 year contributer. 3 time all stater. 3 or 4 time state champ. Will be a D1 signee.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:28 pm

I would not be surprised to see Haring move high on this list. Her team has been blowing out all of the top teams, and she averaged something like 9 points 8 rebounds and 7 assists last year. Those are amazing numbers.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:12 pm

Yeah, it is supposed to be that way, but I still think that career is taken into account when it comes to voting time.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:13 pm

Are you sure? I was always told that Mr/Ms Bball was an award based on a player's career and Sr POY was an award based on the senior season only.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:16 pm

They are both supposed to be just senior year. sr. POY voted by coaches and Miss Basketball by media.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:54 pm

balla45 wrote:
Eminence wrote:WOW, no one is personally attacking anyone. When Finley moved to Mandan, they said she was chasing a trophy, same as what was said in 2007 for Shanna. Some people have that opinion, you can't deny it. Based on the accomplishments for each one of my 5 picks, I don't know that Shanna has done more than Dale or Collins. Those are my two top picks. I think Shanna is #1 in class B, just not over class A. All 5 of them were in Class A as a sophmore, and I think Dale and Collins have been top in their class since then.

Since I don't see a lot of Class B games, what other Class B girls should get recognition?

Looking at it this way, I do tend to agree with you. I still think it is a tight race between all four of them. Collins has had the best career so far, but Dale and Feeney are not far behind. Knife has had a very good career, and is an excellent ball player, but I am sure some of the voters will think the way that you do.

I would be surprised if Collins didn't win it, simply because if she does, no one has a good argument against her. 4 year contributer. 3 time all stater. 3 or 4 time state champ. Will be a D1 signee.

True. That is why Collins is my first pick. You can't argue with the track record or accomplishments. Plus, I saw her play in WDA and STATE and she had a lot of points against Jamestown and Killed BHS.

Since I don't see a lot of Class B, Who besides Shanna is one of the contendors?
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:23 pm

what personal attack? i'm lost......post says nothing that is objectional or derogatory, he'd laid out the reasons he believes collins is the better choice for Ms BB....just b/c he doesn't agree with someone about why a girl left a school doesn't mean he is personally attacking her.....and he did not expand or argue anymore about why she left but went on to other reasons and players for Ms BB.....he is entitled to his opinion just as you are........
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:49 pm

Eminence wrote:
The problem I have with Knife being Miss Basketball is the fact that she left the Lady Braves to chase a trophy. She wasn't even the best one on her new team. You don't leave just because you need better players around you.

I would call it a personal attack. It certainly does not qualify as an opinion when you start using the word "fact".

Here is a fact. The comment has nothing to do with her basketball abilities. It only attacks the player.

Good luck to all of the girls this season. May the best ball player win.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:15 pm

Wow, you are sensitive. You must be a family member. Let me rephrase if it helps.
"the problem I have with knife being Miss Basketball is the FACT that she left the Lady Braves which some people think it was to get a state title. She wasn't even the best on her new team. You don't leave just because you need better players around you."

Character is one of the considerations. If you are out drinking and get caught, it has nothing to do with your ability to play but does prevent you from being Mr or Miss Basketball. Miss Knife has done none of these things but the point I was making was regarding the character of a player to make other players around her better. As a sophmore, she was not able to take her Lady Braves to state. Dale on the other hand, DID. I would pick Dale over Shanna. I would pick Collins over both because she has taken her team to state titles.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Eminence wrote:Wow, you are sensitive. You must be a family member. Let me rephrase if it helps.
"the problem I have with knife being Miss Basketball is the FACT that she left the Lady Braves which some people think it was to get a state title. She wasn't even the best on her new team. You don't leave just because you need better players around you."

Character is one of the considerations. If you are out drinking and get caught, it has nothing to do with your ability to play but does prevent you from being Mr or Miss Basketball. Miss Knife has done none of these things but the point I was making was regarding the character of a player to make other players around her better. As a sophmore, she was not able to take her Lady Braves to state. Dale on the other hand, DID. I would pick Dale over Shanna. I would pick Collins over both because she has taken her team to state titles.

Since we are just projecting all kinds of information, I will have a turn. You must be from Belcourt since you are so bent out of shape about her leaving.

So now you are attacking her character based on rumors of why she transferred? This has nothing to do with me being sensitive. It has to do with being fair to the girls we are talking about.

Thats it. That is all I have to say about this.

As far as basketball skill, Knife is top-notch. If she loses it should be because the other girl is a better basketball player. Not because she transferred to a great basketball program from a not so great program.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:13 pm

GoodO'LBoy wrote:
Eminence wrote:Wow, you are sensitive. You must be a family member. Let me rephrase if it helps.

Since we are just projecting all kinds of information, I will have a turn. You must be from Belcourt since you are so bent out of shape about her leaving.

So now you are attacking her character based on rumors of why she transferred? This has nothing to do with me being sensitive. It has to do with being fair to the girls we are talking about.

Thats it. That is all I have to say about this.

As far as basketball skill, Knife is top-notch. If she loses it should be because the other girl is a better basketball player. Not because she transferred to a great basketball program from a not so great program.

Eminence is not from Belcourt.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby VolsFan3 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:04 pm

First of all, its Shaunna not Shanna. And basically the people of Belcourt wanted her to leave. Why? Because she played to many minutes and after games they would criticize her because she either played to much or didn't do something that would satisfy them. Now you tell me. Would you want to play with a team that does that too you after each game. No you wouldn't.. and who cares if she wasn't the best player on her new team! She got treated like she wanted to be treated. It didn't matter if she didn't score the most or didn't do anything great.. She just wanted to play with a team that liked to play and not criticize her after each game. I guess thats how it went for Shaunna in Bottineau. Shaunna would've moved to a class A school but that would have been farther and a lot harder for her parents to move. May the best one win for the miss bball
VolsFan3

Postby Eminence » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:30 am

Family, you are being way too sensitive and reading more into my point. Take a deep breath. I think Shaunna is a good player or she wouldn't be my choice for Miss Basketball. Everyone of these girls play basketball at a higher level. Since all of the candidates are good players, I was looking at it from the standpoint of leading a team. Since their senior year hasn't happened, I was trying to compare their history. I have not heard a good argument why she would be better than Collins, Dale or Feeney.

********We have 4 choices from Class A. What other Class B girls should be considered for Miss Basketball???? Can anyone answer this? ****************
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:34 am

Bobbi Gran - is an excellent player, but my disagreement with her is the same as with several others in the last few years, leaving your team your senior year
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:53 am

I think Maddie Lamb is going to have a great year.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby SDHoops » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:00 pm

North Dakota conservatives! Always. I'm betting a lot of you voted for McCain. :lol: Ha!

I look at it this way. If I'm at Rucker Park in NYC and I was to choose one girls player from this year's North Dakota class of 2009, I'd choose Shaunna hands down. She has some ill handles and she can shoot. She can pass and she has height. I'm sure pure basketball fans from NYC would be dazzled by a Shaunna Knife.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby number33 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:07 am

I think Shaunna Knife Bottineau takes MISS BASKETBALL 09 she has all the talent in the world she is a great athlete overall even in other sports she is excellent.
number33
NDPreps Reserve

Postby number33 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:14 am

Maybe she never took them to state was because she cant do it by her self and i think that her moving to botno shows how much she really cares about the game and wanted to be on top with the winning team she is great and who ever doubts that has something wrong with them haha .....easily shaunna knife for 2009 miss basketball:D
number33
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Eminence » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:20 am

Baller wrote:I think Maddie Lamb is going to have a great year.

Whod does Maddie Lamb play for?
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:43 am

Eminence wrote:
Baller wrote:I think Maddie Lamb is going to have a great year.

Whod does Maddie Lamb play for?

Dakota Prarie. She has been overshadowed by the Gillette girls but had a good summer and is putting up big numbers so far this season.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby toddjames » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:24 am

I seen in a few of the comments that Knife wasn't the best player on the team when she transferred to Bottineau? Who was better? I seen them play last season and she looked like the best player on the team, and she was named state tournament MVP...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Eminence » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:19 am

number33 wrote:

Maybe she never took them to state was because she cant do it by her self and i think that her moving to botno shows how much she really cares about the game and wanted to be on top with the winning team she is great and who ever doubts that has something wrong with them haha .....easily shaunna knife for 2009 miss basketball:D

"because she cant do it by her self" That is why I picked Dale and Collins before Shaunna. Again, I think Shaunna is a good player but so is Collins and Dale and Feeney. I explained why I picked 1. Collins, 2. Dale, 3. Shaunna, 4. Feeney. Collins can play and is one of the best I've seen. She lead her team to state championships, 3 of them. Was an all state selection for 2 years. Dale can play and has lead her team to state as a sophmore, all state selection 1 year. Collins and Dale have great ball skills, can shoot very well. What has Shaunna done that is better than those two?
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SDHoops » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:27 pm

What has Shaunna done better than those two? Anyone on the outside can see that she is legit. Going D1 does not make you a better player than someone going to a lesser division. I watched Collins, Dale, and Knife on television. I was most impressed with Knife's skills. With that said, we'll see how good Collins really is when she takes on Jamestown tonight. When she played this summer with Mandan, she only scored like 4 points a game. Face it, she needed all those other players from past years to make her better. Shaunna played with a select team and still was the best player. On the summer curcuit or in Class B, Class A doesn't matter. She's the best senior regardless of class this year. However, "darling" Feeney will get it.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eminence » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:02 pm

You can't judge a player based on summer ball when they are playing with their high school team against select teams. How do you think Bott. would do against ECI? Really! From last nights game, she's still pretty impressive.

http://www.jamestownsun.com/articles/in ... n=homepage

The Blue Jays scored first, but the Braves rattled off 11 of the next 12 points to build an early 11-3 lead.

The Blue Jays chipped away with Mandan star point guard Ali Collins on the bench with two fouls, and trailed by just three (16-13) on a Morgan Dale free throw with 9:30 left in the half.

Back in came Collins and the Braves’ lead quickly ballooned. Eight straight points made it 25-13 with seven minutes left. They kept piling it on and had the Blue Jays doubled up (44-22) at the half.

Collins led Mandan with 25 points, needing just 16 shots and 22 minutes to do so. She also had six rebounds, six steals and five assists for the Braves, who lost here last year to open the season, only to win 22 of their next 24 games en route to their sixth straight state championship.
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Girls