Miss Basketball '09

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Miss Basketball '09

Postby balla45 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:35 pm

SDHoops wrote:What has Shaunna done better than those two? Anyone on the outside can see that she is legit. Going D1 does not make you a better player than someone going to a lesser division. I watched Collins, Dale, and Knife on television. I was most impressed with Knife's skills. With that said, we'll see how good Collins really is when she takes on Jamestown tonight. When she played this summer with Mandan, she only scored like 4 points a game. Face it, she needed all those other players from past years to make her better. Shaunna played with a select team and still was the best player. On the summer curcuit or in Class B, Class A doesn't matter. She's the best senior regardless of class this year. However, "darling" Feeney will get it.

That is ridiculous. I actually watched ECI West play and Collins, Knife, Dale, Feeney, Ramlo, and the others all made each other better. There was no clear cut best player.

How many of their games did you watch this summer?

Oh, as for Collins needing all of those other players, 25 6 5 and 5. I guess she isn't missing them too much is she?

You can make a point without trying to cut down other players.

What makes Knife the best senior regardless of class. How many games has she even played this year? You can't tell me who the best player is, 2 games into the season.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:39 pm

you know any time someone states that they don't like a given player or choose someone else for an award, that person usually gets berated on how they are cutting a player down or personally attacking a player.

Collins
Feeney
Gran
Lamb
Knife

mainly in that order, because of the impact each girl gives her team on the court
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:22 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:you know any time someone states that they don't like a given player or choose someone else for an award, that person usually gets berated on how they are cutting a player down or personally attacking a player.

Collins
Feeney
Gran
Lamb
Knife

mainly in that order, because of the impact each girl gives her team on the court

I must disagree with you on the first. I don't think it is cutting another player down by saying, "Dale is a better rebounder than Feeney, or Gran is a better shooter than Collins, or Knife has 9 championships and Collins only has one."

I think it is cutting another player down when someone says that she has only had success because she had good team mates, or she is only talked about because she is a "darling" of the state.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:28 pm

Have to throw in lindsey sand from steele/dawson. she can run the show as well as post you up. awesome shooter also. man balla45 what do you post every 3.5 seconds or what? :D
bigpoppakdog

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:28 am

balla45 wrote:
luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:you know any time someone states that they don't like a given player or choose someone else for an award, that person usually gets berated on how they are cutting a player down or personally attacking a player.

Collins
Feeney
Gran
Lamb
Knife

I must disagree with you on the first. I don't think it is cutting another player down by saying, "Dale is a better rebounder than Feeney, or Gran is a better shooter than Collins, or Knife has 9 championships and Collins only has one."

I think it is cutting another player down when someone says that she has only had success because she had good team mates, or she is only talked about because she is a "darling" of the state.

In this post I am primarily referring to the posts by Eminence, but one person's opinion is another person's personal attack...the good teammates remark I don't believe is personal, darling of the state, maybe....i believe morgan dale to be an excellent bb player, but not a miss basketball....my opinion is based on the years of personal experience but I committed sacrilege by not agreeing with several posters. Another example........player A is a good bb player, but every time he/she plays certain teams....player A is extra rough, physical, etc. why, who knows? That is what the crowd/coaches/players see......their opinion of this player is influenced by what they've observed, hence what some folks call personal attacks, yet the player did do the behavior....or how about a awesome player that every time they play a certain team(s) that team just matches up really well on them and they don't look that awesome.......add in that crowds, coaches, players have favorite players and you have a million personal opinions; no one can be completely unbiased. so many comments are taken personally even when they are not delivered that way.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SDHoops » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:11 pm

The reason I said Feeney is a "darling" is because let's face it, she's the epitome of what every parent in North Dakota wants their future girls basketball daughter to be. She's blonde haired, going D1, and going to a top academic school.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby SDHoops » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:13 pm

However, ALL players up for consideration are good this year. It will be tough.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:27 pm

SDHoops wrote:The reason I said Feeney is a "darling" is because let's face it, she's the epitome of what every parent in North Dakota wants their future girls basketball daughter to be. She's blonde haired, going D1, and going to a top academic school.

I don't agree with you. I don't think parents care if their daughter has blonde hair, red hair, or black hair. I do think most parents would want their kids to go to a top academic school, and excell in their respective sport, but Collins is doing the exact same thing. Dale is doing the exact same thing. Knife is doing the exact same thing. Haring is doing the exact same thing.

I don't think the voters are going to care what color hair she has. I know they are voting on who they think had the best senior season and who did the most during their senior year.

As of now, I think all of the candidates are close.

Dale has been dominating every game she has played in.
Haring has stood out as one of the best players on her team, and she is averaging wins by over 25 points per game.
Collins put up 25 on a Jamestown team in a hostile environment.
I haven't heard anything about Knife yet.
Feeney is injured, so she will have to wait a bit.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:30 pm

SDHoops wrote:The reason I said Feeney is a "darling" is because let's face it, she's the epitome of what every parent in North Dakota wants their future girls basketball daughter to be. She's blonde haired, going D1, and going to a top academic school.

What on earth does having blonde hair have to do with anything? Plus, pretty sure she is more of a red head. As for being a "darling", I want my future girls basketball daughter to have better leadership qualities, better sportsmanship, and more of a team player worrying more about what her team does and not about personal accolades.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:10 pm

This is a pretty strange comment.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby SDHoops » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:09 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:

This is a pretty strange comment.

How is it strange? Darling is what some media refer to as a favorite based on their off-court features rather than their on court. For example, there was a big deal made about it a few years back when UConn women stopped selling out every game and the media theorized that it was because there were no more "darlings" for the fans to love (like the Ann Strothers, the Shea Ralphs..you know, the blond haired, goody two shoed girls).

Anyway, I don't know. There are a lot of good candidates. I was not eve a lot on my last posts so I'll take back what I said. There will be no clear cut favorite. As for someone saying that it's only the senior year, I don't agree with that. If it were based on just one year, then underclassmen would be eligible. The body of work that a player has built up is taken into consideration and after all, isn't that what shaped them to be the great players they are today anyway?
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:28 pm

As for someone saying that it's only the senior year, I don't agree with that. If it were based on just one year, then underclassmen would be eligible. The body of work that a player has built up is taken into consideration and after all, isn't that what shaped them to be the great players they are today anyway?

I agree with you that I don't think they only consider a player's senior year. Seniors generally have more experience, and many have had outstanding careers. I think that is why the award was created. Sportwriters and sportcasters (who will pick) like to write about players who make good stories. I think they will favor a player who has developed a strong career with their program over 2 or 3 years. During the season, the news is always reporting about the standout who is a great leader and role model, as well as being very coachable. If you are up for the award, the athletic ability is a given. I think Class A is a very strong group this year, like Class B was last year.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bball_fan71 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:56 pm

I had a chance to catch a game between NR-S and Dakota Prairie tonight where Grann and Lamb matched up and Grann came out with twenty some and Lamb under ten. It was a good game. NR-S came out on top by about twenty.
bball_fan71
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ball23 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:11 pm

Most of you put Shaunna behind Collins, Dale, and Feeney, but Knife has been All-WDA from her 8th grade year til she was a sophomore. Ya these girls were All-State later on in there career when they finally got to play Varsity. HAHA knife transfered to Bottineau as was stated earlier "to chase a trophy" but after she did transfer there was an article on Knife's transferring in the Minot Daily. Knife stated she transferred because she wanted to be surrounded by people who like to win and want to succeed and to also become a better person. She did succeed the following year with a state championship, being named All-State, State Tourney MVP. I'm sure Knife wanted to continue playing Class A ball, with the tough competition night in and out. But you don't want to be in an area where people constantly criticize and talk about you just because your "the best". How would you feel if no one on your team liked you and constantly talked about you behind your back and were friends only to your face. That would be a crappy situation and Knife had to deal with it day after day. As a parent you would clearly get your daughter or son out of this situation no matter the circumstance. So what if Knife left a team that didn't care to win and a community that just bashed her. She's clearly going places. but back to our topic

Knife IMO is clearly the best player in HS girls basketball regardless of what class she plays in. She has all the skills coaches look for in a combo player she can dribble, shoot, play defense plus shes tall. Ya she's going D-II unlike Feeney and Collins who will more than likely go D-I who are the top 3 candidates in mind. This is going to be a year where the award can go to anyone. I've seen Collins, Dale, and Feeney all play, but only two are elite players IMO and thats Knife and Collins.
ball23

Postby ball23 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:12 pm

Knife is the only Class B player I see with a legit chance of winning...others?
ball23

Postby eastwood99 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:38 am

Must be her brother...lol jk. Knife will win it. :lol:
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ball23 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:41 pm

eastwood99 wrote:Must be her brother...lol jk. Knife will win it. :lol:

no relation...but i do know her brother
ball23

Postby bball_fan71 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:09 pm

Ha Ha wow thats typical
bball_fan71
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:50 am

Interesting fact. At this point in the season, Collins is averaging 8.5 steals per game, against North Dakota competition. I am impressed. Also very impressed with Haring's overall statistics. Knife's are impossible to find.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Girls