Sleeper teams

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Sleeper teams

Postby jtdc492 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:51 am

Who is going to surprise this year?
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Re: Sleeper teams

Postby SCCconferenceinsider » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:26 pm

In Region 3, HMB lost 1 person from last year, and probably will still be the top favorite of the region. Don't forget rivals like Linton, and Kidder County/Steele that will just as tough, although have to replace more key roles on their squads for the upcoming 08-09 basketball season.
The true sleeper of Region 3 is Litchville-Marion-Montpelier. They are a team that did really well in regionals last year, but did not make finals in region 3. They are also a team that does not lose their cool when they fall behind. I watched them play this summer at a basketball team camp. They were down by 20 half way through a game, then winded up winning it. Slowly, they picked away at this team, and they did not get shaken up. They have some really good shooters, and can break a press with ease.
SCCconferenceinsider
NDPreps Starter

Postby eastwood99 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:15 pm

Region 7 could be Beulah if they can come together as a team. Region 8's sleeper team could be Mandaree or Parshall.
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby future star » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:29 pm

i think dunseith could make a run to the regional semi finals if they can pull it together. i mean they can go 8 deep and they have a good core of gaurds led by chelsea azure and kara davis also they have some good forward play by netia beston and tayla belgarde who can rebound and defend the 3,4 and 5 positions on the floor. now i'm not saying they are going to win the region but they can make a good run in regionals.
future star
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Beston51 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:11 pm

Dunseith is a solid team and they got a new transfer.
Beston51
NDPreps Starter

Postby go_chucks » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:41 pm

i think the lady chucks from St. John will make some noise in district 8 this year. The district is a little down and the rest of the region is about even with the exception of New Rockford who is in a different class then the rest. The CNDC tournament will show how far this team can go, but with no seniors and only 4 juniors they could be one year away. They are still a dangerous team with alot of experience as some of these girls are already 2 year starters and most have at least 1 solid year of PT at the varisty level. Im goin to predict they make it to regionals this year.
go_chucks
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ball23 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:49 pm

[quote="go_chucks"]i think the lady chucks from St. John will make some noise in district 8 this year. The district is a little down and the rest of the region is about even with the exception of New Rockford who is in a different class then the rest. The CNDC tournament will show how far this team can go, but with no seniors and only 4 juniors they could be one year away. They are still a dangerous team with alot of experience as some of these girls are already 2 year starters and most have at least 1 solid year of PT at the varisty level. Im goin to predict they make it to regionals this year.[/quote

Maybe in a couple of years from now, after that loss to Harvey...Ouch!
ball23

Postby jtdc492 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:22 pm

I think Wilton will surprise some people this year. Picked last in the district by the hoopster. A win tonight and they will eclipse their win total from last year.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby go_chucks » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:27 pm

if you were at the game vs. harvey, St. john was only down 2 at the end of the first then they kind of just quit.....once they get that losing mentallity out and figure out that 2 points can be made up in one trip down the court they should be fine. But when you've only won a couple of games in 3 years it's sometimes tough to get out of those bad habits.
go_chucks
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:35 pm

I think Harvey had a lot to do with them being down more as the game went on. St John was just no match for Harvey.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:23 pm

don't really know if people would classify them as a "sleeper" team, but jacobson has come out of retirement and has washburn playing well again.
bigpoppakdog

Postby rocketsphotoguy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:08 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I think Harvey had a lot to do with them being down more as the game went on. St John was just no match for Harvey.

Speaking of "The Swarm", I would classify Harvey as a sleeper team in the District 7 girls' race. At the moment, they are kind of flying under the radar and are having a solid season, considering that most of the attention has been focused on NR-S and Carrington. I believe their only two losses so far have been to NR-S (55-47 in the CNDC championship and 58-48 in Harvey, two games which very easily could have gone Harvey's way if not for a rather large number of missed shots.) They have an above average inside game with Lorenz and Nyhus, Bachmeier, Goldade and Schneider are very capable guards, and Buxa is a very solid player as well. Plus, Fred Meland always seems to have his teams playing their best at tournament time, as they've defeated us in the last two District 7 tournaments.

Another team that could surprise, in my opinion, is Four Winds-Warwick. This program has made a remarkable turnaround from a winless season just a few years ago to being a player within the district race. Their players have played together for a long time and are learning how to win, and Chip Anderson has them playing competitive basketball every night.
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man." - Jack Handey
rocketsphotoguy
NDPreps Starter

Return to Girls