Region 2

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 2

Postby sport » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:36 pm

scc wrote:Sorry, but you have no reason to be thrilled. District 3 was more competitive this year, as a whole. I expect at least two teams from District 3 making it to the semis.

I'm thinking maybe even 3 teams. Hatton Northwood shut down Doeden from Hillsboro, and Russell from Larimore. With Grafton being very dependant on Houdek, I wouldn't bet against a win for the Thunder.
sport
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:43 pm

football22 wrote:
HometownHigh wrote:Perhaps district 3 is/was balanced, but the benefit goes to District 4 who sends stronger competition to the regionals, versus District 3 and their upsets, sending teams who had a good game or two in a weekend tourney.
District 3 - 2nd, 3rd, 5th teams (based on season records) are out, right? Advantage - District 4. They're thrilled :)

this post seems like a dis to CV for making it to the championship game as a 7 seed and that they are going to the regionals on that apperance alone but if you would have been at the game you would have seen that they were there because they were one of the best teams in the district. they lost 6 district games by single digits so they were very close to being a higher seed. CV also beat FSHP who was ranked 10th in the final poll.

I agree with football22 here. I am pretty sure that CV had injury problems throughout the year. I don't know the whole story behind that I guess. Last weekend after the first two nights I asked someone how they were a 7 seed since that was the first I'd seen them play they beat Larimore and handled Thompson. Whoever it was I asked that too said they had injury problems. Another reason is that when you play an 8th grader as many minutes as they do with Taylor Henninsgard, there will be some growing pains. That isn't a knock on Taylor by any stretch of the imagination because I think she's a very good player and really calm under pressure. That being said I imagine early in the year she may not have been as smooth as she is now. She still has some problems with turnovers but we can't forget she is just an 8th grader.

I wouldn't be surprised to see CV advance on Monday. HIllsboro should win their game. Hatton and Thompson will probably have a tough time coming out with wins but if H-N plays like they did against Larimore on defense they could beat anyone right now. Thompson is dangerous too because if they are hitting their threes they can upset someone. I'm not sure on the pairings but I think they are as follows.

CV vs. North Border - should be a good close game, can't pick against my alma mader but won't be shocked if CV wins

Hatton-Northwood vs. Grafton - H-N sees another great post in Katie Houdek, I think Graftons experience is too much for H-N and Grafton advances.

FL/PR vs. Thompson - defending region champs contain Thompsons three's and come out with the win

Hillsboro vs. Midway-Minto - Hillsboro keeps rolling and eliminates the Mustangs with win.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby basketball » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:12 am

I could see these games going either way, with the exception of the Hillsboro and M-M game. Hillsboro will just be too much for them to handle. CV is playing really well right now and I think they will come out on top. Grafton is all about Houdek and if she gets into foul trouble early it could be a very interesting game. This is gonna be the closest game I think, with Grafton just sneaking by. FLPR should win the next game but Thompson just isn't gonna give the game away and I wouldn't be shocked if they came out on top.
basketball
NDPreps Starter

Postby real_sports08 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:55 pm

I haven't seen teams from district 4 play but I have seen several teams from district 3 and I was not impressed with Hillsboro at all. I just don't think Region 2 will be able to keep up with the other regions at state and will get run over (like last year).
real_sports08
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HometownHigh » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:51 pm

real_sports08 wrote:I haven't seen teams from district 4 play but I have seen several teams from district 3 and I was not impressed with Hillsboro at all. I just don't think Region 2 will be able to keep up with the other regions at state and will get run over (like last year).

Its the target on the Burros back that keeps you from being impressed. If they hadn't been in the polls all year, and if they haven't had the success that everyone strives for once in their career, they'd be looking great! But chasing them, makes all this less "impressive".

From KMAV website - District 2 versus District 3 teams this season 7-7 win/loss.
Four of those wins for D2 were versus MPCG, who was winless.
Central Cass was not tested by a D3 team.
FSHP beat MPCG & GCC, lost to CV.
Northern Cass beat MPCG but lost to HN, CV, Thompson, Hillsboro.

District 3 versus District 4 this season - D3 12 wins, D4 4 wins
THompson beats NB, Cavalier, MM - loses to Grafton
HN beats MM and NB
CV beats MM and NB, loses to FLPR
Hillsboro beats VE, FLPR

Would be far easier to congratulate participating teams, and enjoy the games, wouldn't it?
HometownHigh
NDPreps Starter

Postby bball_fan71 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:18 pm

I agree! Evan out of the polls anything can happen. Its to Hillboros advantage
bball_fan71
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:22 am

Flip wrote:East Grand Forks 75
Grafton 60

This score surpises me. I don't know anything about Grafton, but EGF is really good. I think they're easily better than any class B team in ND.

I watched EGF play Wednesday and Friday and after watching the state tournament I stand by this statement.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby sport » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:34 am

Flip wrote:
Flip wrote:East Grand Forks 75
Grafton 60

This score surpises me. I don't know anything about Grafton, but EGF is really good. I think they're easily better than any class B team in ND.

I watched EGF play Wednesday and Friday and after watching the state tournament I stand by this statement.

Flip I am guessing you are not going to find to many people to argue against you, I for one know nothing about the minnesota teams.
sport
NDPreps Starter

Postby 4thegame » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:07 pm

Lets get the ball rolling........What does your power poll look like for District 3 and District 4 in 09-10
4thegame
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sport » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:38 pm

4thegame wrote:Lets get the ball rolling........What does your power poll look like for District 3 and District 4 in 09-10

Should maybe start a new topic on this but I will give this a shot by district. District 4 I would pick FLPR over Grafton based on what I saw this spring, but Grafton is so young. If the girls work hard at it this summer they could do very well next year. District 3 should be hands down Dakota Prairie.
sport
NDPreps Starter

Postby pakkyzoo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:48 pm

Dakota Prairie or Central Valley in District 3.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby 4thegame » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:00 pm

IN DISTRICT 3 THINK I'LL GO WITH CV, THEY PLAY SMART AND KNOW WHERE THE BALL NEEDS TO GO. DP GETS PICKED EVERY YEAR,BUT THEY DIDN'T MAKE IT OUT OF DISTRICTS THIS YEAR. I WOULDN'T COUNT OUT HN, LARIMORE, OR THOMPSON.

DISTRICT 4 I'LL GO WITH GRAFTON. IF FOR NOTHING ELSE THEY HAVE MORE BODIES TO CHOOSE FROM. AND I WOULDN'T COUNT OUT CAV AND FLPR
4thegame
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HometownHigh » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:22 pm

CV and Thompson will both have good seasons, with one of them taking districts (bound to happen sooner or later). But, they both lose too much to take regions.
HN too political, won't be a region contender again until they figure that all out.
Hillsboro and MPCG will enjoying beating each other, buts that's all they will have.
NDHSAA should have switched out DP like their preliminary plan. More long bus trips for two point games to the big town of McVille.
FLPR loses too many, unless they transfer in again.
Grafton will take Region - young guns with confidence, and regional experience.
HometownHigh
NDPreps Starter

Postby pakkyzoo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:07 pm

HometownHigh wrote:CV and Thompson will both have good seasons, with one of them taking districts (bound to happen sooner or later). But, they both lose too much to take regions.
HN too political, won't be a region contender again until they figure that all out.
Hillsboro and MPCG will enjoying beating each other, buts that's all they will have.
NDHSAA should have switched out DP like their preliminary plan. More long bus trips for two point games to the big town of McVille.

Whats that supposed to mean? It is just as much an advantage to every other team. They have to drive the same amount of miles to there away games just like other teams have to come here. District 3 will come down to CV and DP.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby 4thegame » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:44 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:
HometownHigh wrote:CV and Thompson will both have good seasons, with one of them taking districts (bound to happen sooner or later). But, they both lose too much to take regions.

Whats that supposed to mean? It is just as much an advantage to every other team. They have to drive the same amount of miles to there away games just like other teams have to come here. District 3 will come down to CV and DP.

pakkyzoo has your number on this one....come tournament time they have alot longer drive than the rest of the district....some of their kids are going 70 some miles after games.
4thegame
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Percy=NoMercy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:59 pm

ratman wrote:Cavalier Hands down Havent seen a Freshmen class like it

I would have to say that Cavalier is a very strong and powered team by the Soph. Classs..........
Percy=NoMercy
NDPreps Rookie

Postby blindside2 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:31 pm

4thegame wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:

pakkyzoo has your number on this one....come tournament time they have alot longer drive than the rest of the district....some of their kids are going 70 some miles after games.

Region 2 is going to come down to Grafton and Park River. I give the nod the Grafton. Grafton has 3 sophomore's that have played together since 3rd grade. I agree with the above comment about the young guns with confidence.
blindside2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:50 pm

Thompson knocked off Central Valley tonight in OT
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:01 pm

scc wrote:Are there any thoughts on District 3 being in Larimore this year?

I think this is just fine to move this tournament around between the participating schools, provided they have enough seating. Larimore has plenty of seating, HN does now with the new Northwood gym, Hillsboro does, Thompson does. The rest would be iffy.

Mayville State really shot themselves in the foot for hosting the district - changing game times, changing dates, high rent. Ideally this should be at a neutral site like MSU, but MSU would have to make a better commitment to the district. For now, I am fine with letting the schools get more of the revenue from the tournament. It's a gold mine for the host school. But the host school has to make sure they do the little things that make for a good tournament atmoshphere - hospitality rooms, ample concessions, remote TV setups in the eating areas, etc.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby big fan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:01 pm

I hope they move it back to Mayville State. It's not fair to have it in someones home gym....
big fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:07 pm

I actually like having the districts at a home court. I don't like the fact that one district usually gets to play on the regional court throughout districts....I think it benefits teams from the district. I think the regions should be on a nuetral court, but both districts on a home court.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:54 am

Grafton beat Crookston 55-53. Crookston was 8-0 vs Class b size schools.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby 4thegame » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:25 pm

who is everyone thinking is going to make it to regionals.
4thegame
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby old#63 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:25 pm

4thegame wrote:who is everyone thinking is going to make it to regionals.

I'll take FL/PR, Grafton, V/E, and NB in the north. CV, DP, Thompson, and GCC in the south.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby super10 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:38 pm

i agree, also in that order
super10
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Girls