Maple Valley's Mariah Smith

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Maple Valley's Mariah Smith

Postby Flip » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:16 pm

I see Mariah Smith is the leading scorer in the Courts Plus Summer League. What type of player is she and what kind of stats did she put up last year during the HS season? I'm guessing she often overshadowed by Kiloran.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Re: Maple Valley's Mariah Smith

Postby stoaxc2004 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:47 am

well lets just say if it wasn't for Smith's contributions, Killoran would not have had as many opportunities as she did to put the ball in the hoop. If I'm not mistaken when I saw Maple Valley play Oak Grove early last season, Killoran scored 43 points and Smith scored 20-something on the way to a 80-something to 40-something score! Mariah Smith will carry a Raider squad this summer as Killoran did for MV in the past!
stoaxc2004

Postby pbhoopsters » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:36 pm

Mariah Smith is a good basketball player who will get some college offers before she graduates. She has a strong baseline drive combined with a nice mid-range jumpshot. She plays good defense and her athletic ability makes her play much "bigger" than you would think her 5'7" frame would allow. She has a great future!
pbhoopsters

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:32 pm

Maple Valley is getting a new coach this season, and hopefully he will utilize her a lot better than the previous coach who was pretty poor. Both Smith and Killoran could have had stronger seasons if they would have just used them better on the court. Mariah could be a premier player in Class B with her outstanding court sense. She will be fun to watch.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vballfan06 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:36 pm

I'd have to disagree with you scooby. As a whole, I thought he did a great job with what he had. He played to their strengths...trying to push the ball up the floor--full court pressure. Those two were always their first and second options every single time down the floor. The problem they had the last third of the season was that neither killoran nor smith could knock down anything from the perimeter consistently and the vast majority of teams out there can break the press by district tournament time.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:20 pm

I caught some crucial games for Maple Valley last season, and I thought that they could have gone far if they would have just ran even one play that involved setting a pick or getting down in position for a rebound. You are 100% right, the other teams just figured out how to stop them, and Maple Valley didn't come up with anything new. Anyway, it will be a new season with fresh faces. It will be fun.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:56 pm

pbhoopsters wrote:Mariah Smith is a good basketball player who will get some college offers before she graduates. She has a strong baseline drive combined with a nice mid-range jumpshot. She plays good defense and her athletic ability makes her play much "bigger" than you would think her 5'7" frame would allow. She has a great future!

pb you ever check out some games at Courts Plus? I saw a man wearing a prairie bison t-shirt and was curious if it was you.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby pbhoopsters » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:58 pm

Was he good looking or ugly? Don't answer that! I am sure that was me. My daughter played Courts Plus this summer too. She, Mariah and Shelby Krueger played together this summer. Speaking of Mariah she had a memorable play down in Minneapolis. Our team was down by 3 points and we needed a three with only seconds to go. I believe with two seconds to go Mariah took the 3 point shot. She missed but was fouled in the act of shooting. As cool as a cucumber she stepped to the line and sank all 3 free throws. The game went into overtime where we ended up winning by two. It was one of my top two memories of summer ball. She is a pressure player who I will enjoy watching this winter.
pbhoopsters

Return to Girls