Hankinson coaches cleared again

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Hankinson coaches cleared again

Postby Baller » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:48 am

Fargo Forum Article: http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/207618

"Part of Sanstead’s report read: “Through this investigation it has become readily apparent that the Geffre family dislikes the girls basketball coaching staff and, in particular, Coach Gravalin. The source of this dislike appears to be the fact that Coach Gravalin does not treat Casey and Cody Geffre as the stars they and their parents believe them to be.”"

Are these girls going to try to play for Hankison next year?....
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Hankinson coaches cleared again

Postby point/center » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:23 pm

I listened to Dan Hammer's show yesterday with Craig Richie the attorney and Coach Gravalin and I just wonder 'why'

why would you do this to a coach?
why would you do this to a town?
why would any team want them back on their roster?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:34 pm

didn't you hear those kids are super stars!
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby philshometown » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:16 pm

Another question is "Why would any team want these girls on their roster?"

The sad thing is that these girls are really good basketball players, and Casey is also very good in several track events. Hopefully this will be a lesson for all of us parents who are tempted to interfere with coaches who are only trying to do their (often thankless) job!
In basketball -- as in life -- true joy comes from being fully present in each and every moment, not just when things are going your way.

PHIL JACKSON, Sacred Hoops
philshometown
NDPreps Starter

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:41 am

Thank goodness a coach was finally backed up and the parents didn't win......Kindred (Starr) should have done the same......point taken though, how do you coach players/parents after this? Darn near impossible.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:49 am

Problem is the coaches are drug through the mud, allegations fly and nothing happens to the false accusations.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:27 am

I would not say that the accusation of inappropriate behavior have no merit. I have witnessed some of this behavior that might have been innocent but could be taken the wrong way. It just so happens it was by this same coach at the state b girls tournament. The head coach was sitting in a hot tub with his half naked players hours before the 3rd place game. The slightest touch or joke could send the wrong message. I am not saying he had no right to be in the hot tub, after all it is a free country, but I would have used some common sense that this might not look so good to a parent. This is the only time I was ever around this coach and his team and something weird was going on. I wonder what else I would have seen if I was exposed to them more. Just a thought before you all say things about the girls who are the accusers.
Last edited by GoodO'LBoy on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby philshometown » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:00 am

Gosh~~ I cannot imagine teenage girls getting into a hot tub "Half Naked"!!! Any coach worth his measly $2900 a year salary would have made sure that the girls were properly attired to get into one of those things before he actually joined them!

(If it matters at all, one of the "girls" was his fiancee')

See how the rumors/innuendos start and they just don't end....
Last edited by philshometown on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In basketball -- as in life -- true joy comes from being fully present in each and every moment, not just when things are going your way.

PHIL JACKSON, Sacred Hoops
philshometown
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:11 am

For the sake of the coaches I'd think disclosure of the report would exonerate them from any wrong doing.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportfan2007 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:38 am

Has anyone heard where these girls plan to go to school next year?
sportfan2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:02 pm

philshometown wrote:Gosh~~ I cannot imagine teenage girls getting into a hot tub "Half Naked"!!! Any coach worth his measly $1500 a year salary would have made sure that the girls were properly attired to get into one of those things before he actually joined them!

I sure do. If you do something that does not show the best judgement then someone can get the wrong idea. Maybe all of this could have been avoided if the coach used some better judgement and didn't put himself into situations that could be taken the wrong way. Like I said, this was only one example. Who knows what else this guy did that could bring up questions.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:10 pm

GoodO'LBoy wrote:
philshometown wrote:Gosh~~ I cannot imagine teenage girls getting into a hot tub "Half Naked"!!! Any coach worth his measly $1500 a year salary would have made sure that the girls were properly attired to get into one of those things before he actually joined them!

I sure do. If you do something that does not show the best judgement then someone can get the wrong idea. Maybe all of this could have been avoided if the coach used some better judgement and didn't put himself into situations that could be taken the wrong way. Like I said, this was only one example. Who knows what else this guy did that could bring up questions.

yeah, i'd have liked to have heard the girls/families on the radio/tv

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:13 pm

All of this is very unfortunate because the girls are talented ball players and the coaches put together a very strong team. Coaching at all levels of athletics is difficult but also rewarding. One of the toughest lesson learned is that you are always looked at as a coach even in the "off-season" and even when the players move on. Even if your team doesn't make it to state, it is a great rule to always leave the swimsuit and beer at home if any of your players will be there.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby pbhoopsters » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:52 am

sportfan2007 wrote:Has anyone heard where these girls plan to go to school next year?

I am not sure if the Geffres have determined whether they are transferring to another school yet. The last I heard was they were meeting with the school board on July 22nd. Why would you meet with the school board if you already had decided that your kids where going to school elsewhere?
pbhoopsters

Postby fb56bball40 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:11 pm

I heard they are going to Oakes?? Think of that team Warren Brademeyer the sisters and Proble Schmit. Thats a state caliber team!!
fb56bball40

Postby vballfan06 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:32 pm

That pretty much goes for any decent team in the Region...if the Geffre's went to Richland, Kindred, FCT, Oakes, Lisbon, Lidgerwood---it'd make all of those teams instant contenders. Heck, Richland will probably be one anyway.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby pbhoopsters » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:24 pm

vballfan06 wrote:That pretty much goes for any decent team in the Region...if the Geffre's went to Richland, Kindred, FCT, Oakes, Lisbon, Lidgerwood---it'd make all of those teams instant contenders. Heck, Richland will probably be one anyway.

Just remember that in order for the girls to be immediately eligible the family would have to establish residency in that particular school district. Otherwise, the girls would have to sit out a year. I would agree that in terms of talent any of those teams would benefit. However, I also have to believe that it would create some team chemistry problems when long term players are suddenly bumped for the new players.
pbhoopsters

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:17 pm

Prediction: they will return to Fargo where the family still has a house. School to be determined. 3 possibilites:
1. Return to Shanley, where they were at before they moved to Hankinson.
2. Go to Fargo South, since thats where their residency would be at.
3. Go to West Fargo, that's where their old coach is now coaching.

I don't think they would like any of these scenarios though. I think there was probably some bad feelings when they left Shanley, going back would be hard. South's lineup would be hard to break into for playing time, plus kids who don't go to South hate South. Going to WF would involve buying a new house in the WF district (or renting an apartment there)

Stay in Hankinson? That would be difficult as well for obvious reasons. I think they should throw a dart at a map of ND/MN and hope for the best. :D Wherever they end up, that team's talent level will go up!
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:38 pm

yeah, but their level of problems/issues would probably go up as well
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:55 am

I dont' feel it's in the best interest for the kids when a family moves based on the eligibility for the kids to play basketball. If it was some LeBron James type situation that's one thing. But this is HS basketball in North Dakota. Last I checked out last NBA basketball player was from Bowbells. Maybe he should've transfered to Minot High?

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:10 pm

I seriously doubt they are looking to transfer because of basketball. Just me thinking crazy, but what about transferring because of the situation these girls delt with in this system. If the allegations are true, then these girls and their family must feel abandoned by this school system. So why wouldn't you transfer??
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:15 pm

I'll agree with that...but what did they transfer to Hankinson for in the first place? BB or family?

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby fb56bball40 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:29 pm

Didn't they tansfur because the basketball coach told them they weren't starters?? Thats what i heard
fb56bball40

Postby WarmBlooded » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:08 pm

you people are feeding right into want they want......attention. Who cares where they go.
WarmBlooded
NDPreps Reserve

Postby pbhoopsters » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:41 pm

Is the school board meeting still on for tomorrow? Does anyone know exactly what the agenda item is regarding the Geffres?
pbhoopsters

Next

Return to Girls