All-state team?

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: All-state team?

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:59 pm

All I can say, is that wouldn't it be great to coach Miller, Knife, Bittner, Gillett...stick bearstail up there and wow...would be fun.
bigpoppakdog

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:12 pm

I think if you are a returning All-Stater, and continue to play solid ball to help your team stay in the top 10 all year, reach the State Tournament championship, and play strong along another All-Stater, you have earned at least a serious look at making the All-State team again. Also, there may be other players with better stats but it could have been viewed that they didn't accomplish what Anderson did with her team. Congratulations to all of the girls who made the team. It is hard to earn individual recognition in Class B so they all must be outstanding ball players to have caught the eye of the media.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:20 pm

tellmeaboutit wrote:
project-pat wrote:
wahoo wrote:
ndfan wrote:
project-pat wrote:Brittany Anderson season stats (including post season)

FG 102 for 273 (37.4%)

3PT 29 for 102 (28.4%)

Points 282

PPG 10.4

RPG 4.04

Assists 74

Turnovers 61

Blocks 8

Steals 46

hmmmmm I got nothing Project

I think what you are saying is that when you play as a team your stats look like a team. A good defensive team doesn't have a lot of stats. Interesting Project, you are from Bowman, I would take 2 girls from there being named all state and run whether they derserve it or not.

I could care less if we were related...I don't think she deserved it...all I'm saying

How will Brittany react when she reads your post? I hope you're not hoping for a prom date or anything.

haha believe me...I'm not hoping for a prom date from her anytime soon...I just didn't like the support that the girls showed the guys team this year because the girls were soooooooooooooooo good and the boys went on a little bit of a slump...treat others as you would want to be treated, so I am treating them like they treated the guys team...
project-pat

Postby ndfan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:12 pm

project-pat wrote:
tellmeaboutit wrote:
project-pat wrote:
wahoo wrote:
ndfan wrote:

FG 102 for 273 (37.4%)

3PT 29 for 102 (28.4%)

Points 282

PPG 10.4

RPG 4.04

Assists 74

Turnovers 61

Blocks 8

Steals 46

I think what you are saying is that when you play as a team your stats look like a team. A good defensive team doesn't have a lot of stats. Interesting Project, you are from Bowman, I would take 2 girls from there being named all state and run whether they derserve it or not.

I could care less if we were related...I don't think she deserved it...all I'm saying

How will Brittany react when she reads your post? I hope you're not hoping for a prom date or anything.

haha believe me...I'm not hoping for a prom date from her anytime soon...I just didn't like the support that the girls showed the guys team this year because the girls were soooooooooooooooo good and the boys went on a little bit of a slump...treat others as you would want to be treated, so I am treating them like they treated the guys team...

LOL you make me laugh buddy :) I gotta say congrats to all the ladies who made the team best of luck to them in the future.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:32 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:I think if you are a returning All-Stater, and continue to play solid ball to help your team stay in the top 10 all year, reach the State Tournament championship, and play strong along another All-Stater, you have earned at least a serious look at making the All-State team again. Also, there may be other players with better stats but it could have been viewed that they didn't accomplish what Anderson did with her team. Congratulations to all of the girls who made the team. It is hard to earn individual recognition in Class B so they all must be outstanding ball players to have caught the eye of the media.

Teryl Norton as a junior was all-state and as a senior led her team to the state championship the following year...barely made the 2nd team...had poorer stats, but sometimes you have to take into account things you won't find on the stat sheet...so things aren't always guaranteed. Always have 2 - 3 players that could legitimately say they were "hosed."

I remember a Mr. Basketball winner some 15 years ago now who wasn't good enough to play intra-mural ball in college...so sometimes I wonder how players are selected for awards..
bigpoppakdog

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:47 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:I remember a Mr. Basketball winner some 15 years ago now who wasn't good enough to play intra-mural ball in college...so sometimes I wonder how players are selected for awards..

How can you not be good enough for intramural ball? I never knew there were any limitations as who could play in an intramural league....
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:35 pm

he was the slowest basketball player I had ever seen.
bigpoppakdog

Postby ndfan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:15 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:he was the slowest basketball player I had ever seen.

Dustin Undlin of Mohall?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:36 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:I think if you are a returning All-Stater, and continue to play solid ball to help your team stay in the top 10 all year, reach the State Tournament championship, and play strong along another All-Stater, you have earned at least a serious look at making the All-State team again. Also, there may be other players with better stats but it could have been viewed that they didn't accomplish what Anderson did with her team. Congratulations to all of the girls who made the team. It is hard to earn individual recognition in Class B so they all must be outstanding ball players to have caught the eye of the media.

Teryl Norton as a junior was all-state and as a senior led her team to the state championship the following year...barely made the 2nd team...had poorer stats, but sometimes you have to take into account things you won't find on the stat sheet...so things aren't always guaranteed. Always have 2 - 3 players that could legitimately say they were "hosed."

I remember a Mr. Basketball winner some 15 years ago now who wasn't good enough to play intra-mural ball in college...so sometimes I wonder how players are selected for awards..

I agree. I also think the media that cover high school basketball doesn't really watch the games that they should, and decide who is good. They just go by the lobbying of a coach or AD. If you are the Fargo Forum, why drive out to Bowman or New Town when you can just call up a coach and see who they like.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:54 pm

I'm not knocking Valerie Scherr but how does she honestly get on? She is a great player, no doubt, but she wasn't even the best player on her team let alone one of the best in the state. Fettig averaged something like 15 and 10 while shooting 70+% from the field. Both Meiklejohn (Region 3 Senior of the Year) from LaMoure, Feist (District 6 Player of the Year) from Linton, and Kaiser (Argueably better then both of those two) from Linton deserved it most the Scherr. But anways, congrats to Scherr.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:59 pm

Just to clarify....I didn't mean to imply that the girls from Bowman and New Town didn't deserve to make the team. I just picked 2 town in western ND that was relatively far away from Fargo.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hp fan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:38 pm

baller01 wrote:I'm not knocking Valerie Scherr but how does she honestly get on? She is a great player, no doubt, but she wasn't even the best player on her team let alone one of the best in the state. Fettig averaged something like 15 and 10 while shooting 70+% from the field. Both Meiklejohn (Region 3 Senior of the Year) from LaMoure, Feist (District 6 Player of the Year) from Linton, and Kaiser (Argueably better then both of those two) from Linton deserved it most the Scherr. But anways, congrats to Scherr.

Meiklejohn got the shaft, she is a phenominal player that makes her teammates better. I do not have her stats (and would like to see them compare with these girls), but I would bet that they are better than some of these all staters. SHe doesn't only put up numbers, she leads her team, and does all the intangibles. She runs the show for her team (offense and defense), and that is way more valuable than the marginal stats some of these girls have.
hp fan

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:40 pm

project-pat wrote:
tellmeaboutit wrote:
project-pat wrote:
wahoo wrote:
ndfan wrote:

FG 102 for 273 (37.4%)

3PT 29 for 102 (28.4%)

Points 282

PPG 10.4

RPG 4.04

Assists 74

Turnovers 61

Blocks 8

Steals 46

i hear ya ther pat....same thing happened when i was in high school. girls team comes to school and stuff with jackets, matching pants, 4 sweatshirts, 9 tshirts, dufflebags...and the guys team got one shirt when they won districts haha. they got more stuff for taking 2nd in regionals then the baseball team got for winning sate haha
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ICU » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:03 am

baller01 wrote:I'm not knocking Valerie Scherr but how does she honestly get on? She is a great player, no doubt, but she wasn't even the best player on her team let alone one of the best in the state. Fettig averaged something like 15 and 10 while shooting 70+% from the field. Both Meiklejohn (Region 3 Senior of the Year) from LaMoure, Feist (District 6 Player of the Year) from Linton, and Kaiser (Argueably better then both of those two) from Linton deserved it most the Scherr. But anways, congrats to Scherr.

I agree for the most part on this except Kaiser is not even close to the player of Meiklejohn. She only had half of a good year and Mieklejohn had 4 good years which includes her senior year.
Last edited by ICU on Thu May 15, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICU

Postby LBL » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:10 pm

Meiklejohn was a more aggressive and better player last season...I don't know if I've ever seen a player's free throw percentage drop from one year to the next the way her's did.

Don't get me wrong, she is a good player and she should be a good college player. But both of the district senior POY awards felt more like career achievement awards versus a single-season accomplishment. With the exception of the region tournament, I thought Gullickson from BCN had a better senior season in District 5 and I thought HMB's Fettig, Linton's Kaiser and Napoleon's Katlyn Grunefelder all had better seasons in District 6.

But, the coaches apparently wanted to make it a career achievement award this season. So be it. In the end, both players do have some decent abilities.
LBL

Postby baller01 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:02 pm

ICU wrote:

I agree for the most part on this except Kaiser is not even close to the player of Meiklejohn. She only had one good year and Mieklejohn had 4 good years.[/quote]
That is why it is called Senior Play of the YEAR, not career.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Girls