Doing away with all tournament teams Who is picking?

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Doing away with all tournament teams Who is picking?

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:38 am

Did YOU ask the coach? I'm just curious if this is first-hand info or not.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby 9manfootballmom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:25 am

I was wondering if luvmy3gbb1wr sees that this topic was about all tournament teams? This is where so much of the problem is. There is a difference between all tournament teams and all district/region/state teams.

All tournament teams are chosen as a result of the play at that tournament...just the three/two or even 1 game. All district is for the whole season and the coach has a chance to nominate and "sell" his players, then the other coaches vote. Coaches are asked to use their integrity while nominating. I know I restate this but some athletes have a great season but just don't have a great tournament, that is why I think there is so much confusion for people if they don't know the difference. Great season...all district...even all region. Maybe not the stand out athlete all season but really gets it going at the tournament...all tournament team.

There are many different ways to do an all tourney team as stated earlier...some regions have done away with them, some regions pick 4 or 5 on a panel and ask them to come to all games and then meet at half time of the last game.

They list 10 r 12 names then rank them, add up the points and pick the top 10. Maybe some coaches nominate for all tourney, too...I haven't heard. But there seems to be a problem on this post with seeing that there is a difference>
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:38 pm

I believe that all tournament teams are selected based on more than just the tournament...you would have all-state athletes that would not make an all tournament team if you went just on the tournament...probably doesn't sound logical, but it happens...example would be a athlete who has awesome stats...and then gets a box-and-one defense applied and he gets shut down while another player who doesn't score more than 10 points a game goes off for 20...but they still lose...so you would then leave off the teams best player and put on this other player??? I believe people have a good idea of who is going to be all tournament right away with some spots that are undecided that will be filled after the tourny play is over....
bigpoppakdog

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:56 pm

If that is the case why bother with AT teams. It should be based on the tournament.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby 9manfootballmom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:02 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:If that is the case why bother with AT teams. It should be based on the tournament.

I agree, Wild Wolves Maybe that is why REgion 3 did away with them. What region all you familiar with and what have the school officials/coaches done in your area?
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:39 pm

I suppose you wouldn't need it...if you give out all-district awards, and all-state awards why do you need an all tourney team???? I suppose it would be a chance for those few who are not given those awards to earn an award for a tournament...but many times you see these people "trumped" by the "all-stars"....I've seen girls who have had better tournaments statistically wise than their "all-state" teammates did, but were passed over...so I see your argument....I'm feeling a lot better today...so maybe I'm seeing your argument were trying to make yesterday...
bigpoppakdog

Postby 9manfootballmom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:41 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:I suppose you wouldn't need it...if you give out all-district awards, and all-state awards why do you need an all tourney team???? I suppose it would be a chance for those few who are not given those awards to earn an award for a tournament...but many times you see these people "trumped" by the "all-stars"....I've seen girls who have had better tournaments statistically wise than their "all-state" teammates did, but were passed over...so I see your argument....I'm feeling a lot better today...so maybe I'm seeing your argument were trying to make yesterday...

I like how you stated that...the word trumped fits well. So...we do agree on something! Glad you are feeling better Mom
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby twoadays » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:14 pm

I think the all tournment teams are a good thing and sometimes give accolades to a kid or 2 that don't get many during the season. The flaw lies mostly in the timeline of when/how the teams are picked. It's fun and provides instant gratification to give out awards right after the championship games but consequently, the decisions are rushed and likely based on the first 1 or 2 nights of play. As parents, coaches, and fans we hope that the all tournament "commitee" is made up of folks who have solid knowledge of the sport and all aspects of it. Not just who scores the most points or has the most kills. While these are obviously the areas of play that stand out, it takes someone with good court vision to see the players that assist the high scorer every time or tip the steal to the teammate that gets the credit, etc. I could go on and on about the little things that make great players go unnoticed...you all know what I'm talking about. My point is that I would guess, based on seeing years of all tourney teams picked, that at the district level at least, the committee members aren't as objective and don't spend as much time as they should selecting the members. I will give an example...Underwood (Boys) came into their district tournament as the last place seed. They had to play #2 Wilton the first night and although they lost, they were within 10 points or so for most of the game so by no means a blow out. They went on to play #3 Sheridan County on Friday and won. Saturday they lost a very close game to Washburn who had lost to #1 TLM by only 4 points the night before. I would say, based on all of this, that Underwood had a darn good tournment and played better ball than what they've done all year...yet...not one kid made the all tournament team. I'm sure the selection committees do the best they can at the time and there are always a few very obvious choices. For the rest of the team selection though, I think more time deliberting and recapping would result in a more "accurate" group. All of that being said, I think most athletes bring their "A" game at tournment time and should all be acknowledged at some level. Good Luck next week to all the bb teams still in it.
Last edited by twoadays on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twoadays

Postby 9manfootballmom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:32 pm

twoadays wrote:I think the all tournment teams are a good thing and sometimes give accolades to a kid or 2 that don't get many during the season. The flaw lies mostly in the timeline of when/how the teams are picked. It's fun to give out awards right after the championship games but consequently, the decisions are rushed and likely based on the first 1 or 2 nights of play. As parents, coaches, and fans we hope that the all tournament "commitee" is made up of folks who have solid knowledge of the sport and all aspects of it. Not just who scores the most points or has the most kills. While these are obviously the areas of play that stand out, it takes someone with good court vision to see the players that assist the high scorer every time or tip the steal to the teammate that gets the credit, etc. I could go on and on about the little things that make great players go unnoticed...you all know what I'm talking about. My point is that I would guess, based on seeing years of all tourney teams picked, that at the district level at least, the committee members aren't as objective and don't spend as much time as they should selecting the members. I will give an example...Underwood (Boys) came into their district tournament as the last place seed. They had to play #2 Wilton the first night and although they lost, they were within 10 points or so for most of the game so by no means a blow out. They went on to play #3 Sheridan County on Sat. and won. Saturday they lost a close game to Washburn who had lost to #1 TLM by only 4 points the night before. I would say, based on all of this, that Underwood had a darn good tournment and played better ball than what they've done all year...yet...not one kid made the all tournament team. I'm sure the selection committees do the best they can at the time and there are always a few very obvious choices. for the rest though, I think more time deliberting and recapping would result in a more "accurate" group. All of that being said, I think most athletes bring their "A" game at tournment time and should all be acknowledged at some level. Good Luck next week to all the bb teams still in it.

That was also well put. Great post. twoadays. thanks I also agree that underwood did play their best ball at the tournament. It's pretty hard to be up when you've only won 4 games all season but those boys played their hearts out and ended on a pretty good note.
9manfootballmom
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Girls