STATE

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: STATE

Postby tellmeaboutit » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:24 pm

What do you think will happen with the Bowman County program? Coach Harding has a son that plays ball....do you think he'll "retire" so he can follow him? Also, with the loss of 5 starters, even with Harding, will they be any good?
You have to hate losing more than I love winning.
tellmeaboutit
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby project-pat » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:27 pm

tellmeaboutit wrote:What do you think will happen with the Bowman County program? Coach Harding has a son that plays ball....do you think he'll "retire" so he can follow him? Also, with the loss of 5 starters, even with Harding, will they be any good?

loss of 4 starters....Allison Hanson is a junior this year...BC will be decent, not great, but decent...I doubt Harding will call it quits after this season, and if he does, I will be the most shocked person in the state...he has done wonders for this program and they won't fall too far on the totem pole after this season.
project-pat

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:04 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote:I cannot believe how overlooked HMB has been. They had only 1 senior(although in girls that can be a little misleading compared to boys.) I cannot remember if Linton was young or not...steele's run is likely over...but with as much fire power as HMB had this year they have to considered a favor...as well as bott. no doubt....guess I don't know much about the east teams so I cannot compare to them...just think they are a top team for next year.

But, you have to remember HMB only played 6 girls basically the whole tournament. Losing that one senior could hurt them more. Will they have a bench at all next year?

don't recall what type of bench they have...should have a solid starting 5.....new town had a solid 1 and did very well, so a solid 5 to me, puts them(if they get out of their region..not sure about steele and linton..didn't pay enough attention to what they return) as a top state team next year.
bigpoppakdog

Postby rep » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:15 am

next year will be more of the same in district 6...linton will need to find a perimeter scorer to replace kaiser, but they have another six-footer in lacey ryckman who played well as a sophomore this year. steele will have the previously-mentioned sand, benz, ziesch, one or two others. hmb loses scherr but if kalberer and fettig progress the way they should, along with some others, they'll be fine. strasburg-zeeland might be interesting with nieuwsma and the ternes girls...can't remember who they had for seniors this year. all three teams will probably be challenged by lmm from district 5 who i think returns their entire starting five?

off the top of my head, i can't think of anyone else from district 5...bcn will lose a lot, lamoure loses their top three starters but will have two decent sophomore guards...not sure about their post. edgeley loses a lot, but had some decent younger players and might get a player or three from kulm. pbk...i'm not sure who they bring back, same with central prairie.

all in all, that is who i see penciled in on semifinal night at the region tourney: steele, hmb, linton and lmm. of course, once the season starts everything will be a bit clearer.
rep

Postby mplsfan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:06 pm

bigpoppakdog wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
bigpoppakdog wrote:I cannot believe how overlooked HMB has been. They had only 1 senior(although in girls that can be a little misleading compared to boys.) I cannot remember if Linton was young or not...steele's run is likely over...but with as much fire power as HMB had this year they have to considered a favor...as well as bott. no doubt....guess I don't know much about the east teams so I cannot compare to them...just think they are a top team for next year.

But, you have to remember HMB only played 6 girls basically the whole tournament. Losing that one senior could hurt them more. Will they have a bench at all next year?

don't recall what type of bench they have...should have a solid starting 5.....new town had a solid 1 and did very well, so a solid 5 to me, puts them(if they get out of their region..not sure about steele and linton..didn't pay enough attention to what they return) as a top state team next year.

I don't think that HMB has been overlooked as a strong team coming into next season. However at this point it doesn't seem out of line to believe that Bottineau would be a higher pick. Both teams lost one starter from this season but remember Bottineau beat them in the semi's by 22 points. Lots of things could happen between now and then but if I had to put my money on it at this point I'd pick Bottineau. It seems that Hankinson will be tough next season as well. Who are some of the teams that didn't make state this year with a lot returning? Kenmare returns a good core I think and will once again be one of the stronger teams in Region 6 with Bottineau.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby nadal11 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:59 pm

project-pat wrote:
tellmeaboutit wrote:What do you think will happen with the Bowman County program? Coach Harding has a son that plays ball....do you think he'll "retire" so he can follow him? Also, with the loss of 5 starters, even with Harding, will they be any good?

loss of 4 starters....Allison Hanson is a junior this year...BC will be decent, not great, but decent...I doubt Harding will call it quits after this season, and if he does, I will be the most shocked person in the state...he has done wonders for this program and they won't fall too far on the totem pole after this season.

coach harding will not retire, that's probobly the most outragous thing i've ever heard, he loves to coach and has done a wonderful job there! 100 percent positive he will be back.
nadal11

Postby nadal11 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:01 pm

can we officially say that bottineau is the new "evil empire" of girls class b basketball!! haha, nobody wants to see the same team win three times in a row...especially if their getting transfers every year.
nadal11

Postby mplsfan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:05 pm

nadal11 wrote:can we officially say that bottineau is the new "evil empire" of girls class b basketball!! haha, nobody wants to see the same team win three times in a row...especially if their getting transfers every year.

Bottineau's GBB program has been strong for years. They have played in 12 state tournaments starting in Class A in 1974. Over the course of those years I can think of 3 significant transfers. Someone like Shauna Knife was no doubt a big part of their success this year, who would dispute that. However Bottineau's continuous success over the years cannot be attributed to transfers. Give credit where credit is due, they have manufactured their own success. And yes....attracted a couple of good players partly due to that BB success. I can understand the "evil empire" sentiment after 3 championships in a row (by the way did you hear the Trinity boys lost tonight) and I'm sure many people are ready for a new champion. But to their credit these girls have created that sentiment as well and I think they should accept it as the compliment that is really is.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:41 am

mplsfan wrote:
nadal11 wrote:can we officially say that bottineau is the new "evil empire" of girls class b basketball!! haha, nobody wants to see the same team win three times in a row...especially if their getting transfers every year.

Bottineau's GBB program has been strong for years. They have played in 12 state tournaments starting in Class A in 1974. Over the course of those years I can think of 3 significant transfers. Someone like Shauna Knife was no doubt a big part of their success this year, who would dispute that. However Bottineau's continuous success over the years cannot be attributed to transfers. Give credit where credit is due, they have manufactured their own success. And yes....attracted a couple of good players partly due to that BB success. I can understand the "evil empire" sentiment after 3 championships in a row (by the way did you hear the Trinity boys lost tonight) and I'm sure many people are ready for a new champion. But to their credit these girls have created that sentiment as well and I think they should accept it as the compliment that is really is.

Didn't Kelsey Peltier open enroll last year? I remember her as an eight grader going to Dunseith.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby mplsfan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:03 pm

Deuce wrote:
mplsfan wrote:

Didn't Kelsey Peltier open enroll last year? I remember her as an eight grader going to Dunseith.

She was in Bottineau as an 8th grader and played a little varsity I believe.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Girls