District 3 Tournament

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: District 3 Tournament

Postby HometownHigh » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:42 pm

DP, HN, Hillsboro, CV still standing Saturday night
DP Hillsboro still standing Monday night
CV finishes third Tuesday night
Enjoy!
HometownHigh
NDPreps Starter

Postby basketball » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:06 pm

HometownHigh wrote:DP, HN, Hillsboro, CV still standing Saturday night
DP Hillsboro still standing Monday night
CV finishes third Tuesday night
Enjoy!

I don't think there is a 3rd and 4th place game, I think they have region qualifiers, so there is really no chance that CV will end up in third place. In order for that to happen GCC or MPCG would have to make regionals, because the higher seed that wins the region qualifier games will end up with the 3rd seed going into regionals. I THINK
basketball
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:20 pm

You're right except for maybe if CV and Thompson end up winning their region qualifier games. Some districts say the higher seed is automatically the #3 team and other districts have something where if the lower seed already beat the higher seed in the tourney, then the lower seed will be awarded the #3. Not sure what Dist 3 does, tho.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby playa10 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:58 pm

In response to an earlier post, I agree that after the first round that DP, Hillsboro, and H-N will still be standing, but I disagree that CV will beat Thompson. Despite Thompson winning the two games with CV by only 4 and 3 points, they are on a roll heading into the tournament no matter how close the games may be. That only makes them tougher come tournament time because they know how to handle the close games. They have won something like 7 games in a row or more, I am not quite positive on that, but I do know they have one a large amount here at the end of the year. They knocked of Hillsboro already when they were ranked in state, and just knocked off Northern Cass by 2 when they were ranked #8 in state. I could also see them taking out Hillsboro again in the semis since they have beaten them by 9 already this year. Just some thoughts is all, we will have to wait and see how it all shakes down at the Lewey Lee Fieldhouse
playa10

Postby playa10 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:20 pm

To correct my last replay, the Thompson girls have won 7 of 8...I did not know they lost to DP in their second to last game of the year.
playa10

Postby HometownHigh » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:33 pm

playa10 wrote:In response to an earlier post, I agree that after the first round that DP, Hillsboro, and H-N will still be standing, but I disagree that CV will beat Thompson. Despite Thompson winning the two games with CV by only 4 and 3 points, they are on a roll heading into the tournament no matter how close the games may be. That only makes them tougher come tournament time because they know how to handle the close games. They have won something like 7 games in a row or more, I am not quite positive on that, but I do know they have one a large amount here at the end of the year. They knocked of Hillsboro already when they were ranked in state, and just knocked off Northern Cass by 2 when they were ranked #8 in state. I could also see them taking out Hillsboro again in the semis since they have beaten them by 9 already this year. Just some thoughts is all, we will have to wait and see how it all shakes down at the Lewey Lee Fieldhouse

You could be absolutely right. The ability to win close games is valuable, and its tourney time. Will everyone bring their "A" game, will they be close games? Maybe, maybe not. In looking at ndhsaa website, the win streaks during the year appear like this: Hillsboro 9, DP 8, Thompson 6. Meaningless stat, but fun when you're the team with a run of wins. They have a win over Hillsboro by 9, and they have a loss to Hillsboro by 12. Knocked off NCass without Fenske, a four year starter. Just some thoughts.
HometownHigh
NDPreps Starter

Postby adriana » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:09 pm

scc wrote:Thoughts on the quarterfinals?

Some regular season facts to keep in mind:
- Dakota Prairie only beat May-Port CG by 3 points.
- Hatton-Northwood split with Larimore.
- Hillsboro took two from Griggs County Central, but one of those was by 3 points.
- Thompson took two from Central Valley, by 4 and 3 points, respectively.

There are also other things one could point to, such as May-Port CG beating Thompson, but Thompson beating several teams after that. In the end, I think there's the potential for three or four upsets on day one. The unpredictability factor could make the tournament more exciting.

On the other hand, I could be completely wrong...

Griggs lost on their home court by 3...and in hillsboro by 21. on a neutral site i see griggs losing by about 15. Dakota Prairie will beat MPCG. H-N and Larimore will be a close one, as will the thompson-cv game. CV plays hard and i can see them beating the tommies the third time around
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby gotmypopcorn » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:24 pm

DP beats MPCG handily. Brandy Messner, an 8th grader is named player of the game for the Knights with 17 points.
gotmypopcorn
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:04 pm

#5 Larimore beats #4 HN by 6 or so, #2 Hillsboro over #7 GCC by 13, #3 Thompson over #6 CV by 4.

Monday's matchups:
Loser out games:

MPCG vs HN
GCC vs CV

Semifinals:
DP vs Larimore
Hillsboro vs Thompson
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:00 pm

I got HN, CV, DP, and Thompson.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:10 pm

cubsfan wrote:I got HN, CV, DP, and Thompson.

How do you think they will be seeded for regionals?

1. DP
2. HN
3. CV
4. Thompson

??????
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoop_fan1 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:20 pm

I'll take DP #1, Hillsboro #2, Thompson #3, Larimore #4
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:22 pm

hoop_fan1 wrote:I'll take DP #1, Hillsboro #2, Thompson #3, Larimore #4

I think I would agree more with you then I would cubsfan
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:51 pm

scc wrote:
ndfan wrote:
hoop_fan1 wrote:I'll take DP #1, Hillsboro #2, Thompson #3, Larimore #4

I think I would agree more with you then I would cubsfan

I think cubsfan is predicting tomorrow's winners.

Makes sense, what you think scc?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:18 pm

Hatton-Northwood beat MPCG 51-39
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDsportwatcher » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:04 am

I can see the top four like this:

#1 Hillsboro
#2 DP
#3 Thompson
#4 Larimore

I think that Hillsboro can beat DP if they play hard, the first time that they played they were down by 4 at the half, but in the 2nd half I think they just lost their confidence. And also by the way that Hillsboro played tonight against Thompson, they look like they can compete.

Thompson will play H-N in a loser-out game. Thompson will win because they can outwork H-N in the 4th quarter. It will be a good game but in the end someones gotta win :P.

Larimore and CV will also play a loser-out game. CV will play hard but by the way that Larimore played against DP says that they can compete.

Just have to wait and see who wants to win and who doesn't.....
NDsportwatcher
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HometownHigh » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:47 pm

NDsportwatcher wrote:I can see the top four like this:

#1 Hillsboro
#2 DP
#3 Thompson
#4 Larimore

I think that Hillsboro can beat DP if they play hard, the first time that they played they were down by 4 at the half, but in the 2nd half I think they just lost their confidence. And also by the way that Hillsboro played tonight against Thompson, they look like they can compete. This will just be a great game, it will not be the 35 point difference it was during their only meeting earlier this year. DP is tough, no doubt

Thompson will play H-N in a loser-out game. Thompson will win because they can outwork H-N in the 4th quarter. It will be a good game but in the end someones gotta win :P. Thompson will win because of the team inner turmoil that has ripped the Thunder apart. It shows on the floor.

Larimore and CV will also play a loser-out game. CV will play hard but by the way that Larimore played against DP says that they can compete.I take CV in this one, they're hungry

Just have to wait and see who wants to win and who doesn't.....
LOL I think they all want it, but they can't all have it! Enjoy
HometownHigh
NDPreps Starter

Postby oldtimeballer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:00 pm

DP beats Hillsboro 49-40 to win the district championship. Jenna Gillett is the Player of the Game, and the Senior Player of the Year. DP's Coach, Steve Forde, is the District 3 Coach of the Year.
oldtimeballer

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:31 pm

Dakota Prairie came out and played awesome defense in the second half. Down 21-14 at halftime they decided to get the ball to Gillette as much as possible which worked out well in the Knights favor. One thing the Dakota Prairie really did well was force turnovers. They did what looked like a 1-2-1-1 press in the third quarter and it really gave Hillsboro problems. They got the lead down to one two minutes into the third quarter and they controlled the rest of the quarter after that. Hillsboro got the ball with 1:12 left in the third quarter and played for one shot which resulted in a three point shot for the Burros with about 2 seconds left to cut the lead back to three. Gillette proved to be too much for Hillsboro in the fourth quarter scoring at will leading the Knights to the District championship.

Tonight's win sets up the match-up everyone has expected all year for the Region II championship: Grafton vs. Dakota Prairie. Dakota Prairie plays North Border on Monday with Grafton taking on Larimore. I don't think either team will have much trouble in the first round. The other first round match-ups should be very good games. Thompson will take on FLPR and Hillsboro will face the defending region champion Midway-Minto Mustangs. My personal pick is Grafton to represent Region II in the state tournament this year.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby blue steel » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:39 am

It possibly could have been a different second half had joelle evenson played for hillsboro. I'm not saying the Burros would have won, but it would have definatley helped.
blue steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:22 am

blue steel wrote:It possibly could have been a different second half had joelle evenson played for hillsboro. I'm not saying the Burros would have won, but it would have definatley helped.

That was definitely a big factor in the game. Maggie Evenson really shot the ball well in the first half and made numerous plays to keep the Burros in the game. I believe Joelle had a 24-hour flu bug that kept her out of the line up. The Burros are a different team with her in the line up and might have pulled off the win with her out there. She should be healthy for Regionals now and the Burros look like a very tough out at this point of the season. Brittany Wilson played a great game for Hillsboro knocking down three's and breaking the Knight's press. She committed a few turnovers that seemed to be uncharacteristic of her. Credit the Knights for keeping the pressure on in the second half. The Burros are definitely a team to watch out for next week in The Betty.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby HometownHigh » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:33 am

Most of that sounds like excuses...? Everybody's got 'em. If Joelle had played?, IF M. Evenson and Doeden hadn't gotten into early foul trouble? IF HIllsboro had a bench at all (nine players in the entire high school)? IF Hillsboro wins any games in regionals, it will be because of their coach, and their HEARTS, and then two of their players can make the trip to Fargo for their scheduled surgeries. Go Burros!
HometownHigh
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:36 pm

Either one of us used the word "if" in our posts. I wasn't making excuses for the Burros loss but you can't say her being sick didn't affect their game plan. Joelle played very well in the two games prior to that and just got hit with the flu. It doesn't matter now she should be back for them and ready to go in regionals.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:31 pm

Sick. Flu bug is going around Hillsboro.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Return to Girls