How about those young ladies from Steele-Dawson

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

How about those young ladies from Steele-Dawson

Postby pbhoopsters » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:42 pm

Can anyone tell me more about the Steele-Dawson team? I am impressed to see that they beat a very good Bismarck JV team by 11 and a very good Dickinson Trinity team by 14. This team is earning some respect. What are their strengths and what are their weaknesses?
pbhoopsters

Re: How about those young ladies from Steele-Dawson

Postby baseball » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:28 pm

just like any team coached by Mark Sand, the obvious strength is the defense. they have one of the best presses in the state with 3 quick girls up from, Sand-Benson-Fredrickson, to harrass the ballhandlers and force turnovers. 80% of the points are scored on layups and free throws off the press and back screens in the half court. if their is a weakness i would say the outside shooting, but benson and sand can hit the 3 on occassion. they are a very fundamentally sound team that doesnt make many mistakes...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:02 pm

to add my two cents about some of their players:

last year, as a sophomore, lindsey sand set a new school record for assists. don't know where she's at this year for assists if she is nearing her record or if she has already broken it. she seemed like she had some trouble in the opening game of the state tournament against bottineau (my guess was nerves because she kept picking up fouls) but after that had a decent tournament.

in the region championship last year i thought bailey benson did a pretty fantastic job defensively on kristen cuypers. if you've followed region 3 in the last few years, basically cuypes was solid for 15-25 points a night regardless of who lmm was playing, but benson basically put the clamps on her throughout the game. i can't remember exactly how many points she finished with, but it was low.

kubik seemed like a nice role player, very athletic and solid defensively. can't say i know a whole lot about her.

i also don't know a whole lot about their younger players, like benz and zeisch (might not be spelling that second one quite right). haven't gotten a chance to see them play yet. but in talking with sand, he thinks they have all the potential to be really good players. i would think this season will go a long ways towards making them decent players in the next couple of years.
rep

Postby baller90 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:36 pm

when they do slow it down they look inside for Benz to score.
baller90

Postby baller90 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:04 pm

baller90 wrote:when they do slow it down they look inside for Benz to score.

or at least they did when i watched em play HMB
baller90

Postby baseball » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:05 pm

i dont konw if they look down low for her since shes only like 5'5", the games ive seen shes more of a mid-range player and they look for Fredrickson on the block. I honestly believe that Lindsey will turn out to be a better player then her sister was and has of right now Mallory is towards the top if not at the top of the ranks as girls basketball players to come from that school. Lindsey wont score as much but she handles the ball and sees the floor better at her age, plus the team has a bunch of people who can score so she doesnt have to. Mallory played with a lot of girls who could score 5-7 a game while Lindsey plays with girls who can score 12-15 any night.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ICU » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:50 am

baseball wrote:

i dont konw if they look down low for her since shes only like 5'5", the games ive seen shes more of a mid-range player and they look for Fredrickson on the block. I honestly believe that Lindsey will turn out to be a better player then her sister was and has of right now Mallory is towards the top if not at the top of the ranks as girls basketball players to come from that school. Lindsey wont score as much but she handles the ball and sees the floor better at her age, plus the team has a bunch of people who can score so she doesnt have to. Mallory played with a lot of girls who could score 5-7 a game while Lindsey plays with girls who can score 12-15 any night.

I see Steele-Dawson should win this region easily since HMB was upsetted by Linton.
ICU

Postby baseball » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:06 am

i wouldnt say easily since HMB lost because you have to remember that HMB beat Steele earlier in the season
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby schneider10 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:11 pm

Eli Benz is 5"9' or even taller than that. Not 5'5". She is very quick and strong inside. I wouldn't exactly say that they don't give the ball to her that much since over these past few games she has been scoring 19+ points.
schneider10

Return to Girls