Central Cass is a very good team in Region 1

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Central Cass is a very good team in Region 1

Postby pbhoopsters » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:31 pm

I just watched Central Cass soundly beat Kindred. I believe the final score was 54-28. Though it still is early in the season, they are the most impressive team I have seen in Region 1. I have seen Fairmount, Hankinson, Lidgerwood, Maple Valley and Northern Cass. None of these teams have impressed me the way Central Cass did tonight. They have three strong post players in Kraft, Nesemeir (sp?) and Samuelson. Sprunk, Boeder, and Nelson are capable guards who can shoot the ball. Kayla Nelson often does not get the media but she does a great job of taking care of the ball and making sure the TO numbers stay low. Kraft had 20 points tonight - it seemed like many were off rebounds. She was a perfect 10 for 10 from the free throw line. They also have Gengleman and Ausk who can come in off the bench and not hurt them. Coach Kraft starts 4 Juniors and 1 Freshmen so this team will only be getting better for the forseeable future. As stated, it still is early, but there is no doubt that Central Cass can play with anybody in Region 1. They are a fun team to watch - when your not playing against them that is.
pbhoopsters

Re: Central Cass is a very good team in Region 1

Postby ClassBEast » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:48 pm

They were great tonight... best girls team I think Central Cass has had in several years. I am looking forward to the game against Maple Valley on Friday. Should be a good one! :D
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsmart » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:48 am

Who have they beat??? Kindred is down this year and getting beat by everyone.
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBEast » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:46 am

sportsmart wrote:Who have they beat??? Kindred is down this year and getting beat by everyone.

Why is Kindred down? They didn't lose many off of last year's team that took 6th in state, did they? Of course, they don't have the coach that took them to state 2 years in a row, maybe they are regretting running him out of town now. :?

Central Cass lost to Hillsboro by 14 (didn't have Nelson, Samuelson and Ausk though), beat Northern Cass by 8, North Sargent by 37 and Valley City by 35. Friday's game against Maple Valley will be a good test for them.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsmart » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:21 pm

If I could explain why they are down I would. Just been watching the scores and they are getting beat by everyone. I have been surprised. Thought they would be a top team in that region. If Casselton can beat Maple Valley I will be a believer it will be the first real competition they see in my opinion.
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby pbhoopsters » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:00 pm

sportsmart wrote:If I could explain why they are down I would. Just been watching the scores and they are getting beat by everyone. I have been surprised. Thought they would be a top team in that region. If Casselton can beat Maple Valley I will be a believer it will be the first real competition they see in my opinion.

In my opinion, Kindred is down because they only returned 1 starter - Mandi Bindas. Plus they are trying to get use to the system of a new coach - that takes time. When I watch the other starters for Kindred I feel like they are almost "programmed" to look for the Bindas girls. Do not get me wrong, I am not saying the coach programmed this way. I am saying the players are so use to looking to the Bindas girls, that because of their relative lack of experience, they have not learned to do anything else. In my opinion, Morgan is a spot shooter who can be stopped if she is forced to put the ball on the floor and you do not bail her out by putting her on the free throw line. Mandi will get her points because she goes so hard to the basket, will get her share of put backs and finds a way to shoot a ton of free throws. Until KIndred gets more dimension they will struggle against the better teams in the Region.

This brings me to Central Cass versus Maple Valley. Maple Valley has the same problem as Kindred. In my opinion, Maple Valley does not have the depth or dimension to beat a team like Central Cass. Even if they give Killoran 35 points that is not enough to beat Central Cass. I think they will need at least 15 points from someone like Mariah Smith to make this a close game. If she can do this we might have a game. Central Cass was effective in giving Kindred's second leading scorer - Morgan Bindas 1 point. If I were Coach Kraft, I would zone Maple Valley and turn them into a jump shooting team. I have no shame, I would do it in an instant. I predict Central Cass by at least 10 points. If I am wrong - well, it would not be the first time. I did pick the MN Vikings to win a football game once!
pbhoopsters

Postby sportsmart » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:16 pm

Then you could have been right the last 5 times if you picked the Vikes.. Go Vikes. Will be interesting to see what happens at the game. I do think that all the youth of CC will bite them a few times this year.
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby vballfan06 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:34 pm

I'd agree with PBH, Kindred lost pretty much everyone but mandi bindas from a year ago. They're young and inexperienced, plus the region's as good as its been in awhile.
I do disagree though with the comment about one-dimensional teams. I agree, you need more options---yet, in Class B basketball, when you have a horse....you ride it! And then you give set roles to the rest of the ball players. If you can have 5 other players score 5-6 points a night, one's bound to hit double digits...you're in the ball game every single night. Plus, team's just need to play better defense. I think it seems to be a lost art in Class B, unless I'm just too young to remember that it's always been this way. There's a reason teams like Bottineau get to the state tournament every year, and that's because defensively they're always very tough.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby pbhoopsters » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:01 pm

sportsmart wrote:Then you could have been right the last 5 times if you picked the Vikes.. Go Vikes. Will be interesting to see what happens at the game. I do think that all the youth of CC will bite them a few times this year.

But I did not pick the Vikes the last 5 times. There seems to be some correlation between me picking them winning games and them losing. I did however, correctly pick them to lose all 4 super bowls. I guess you coudl say there is some correlation between me picking them to lose Super Bowls and them losing Super Bowls.

In terms of CC, I would guess you are correct in terms of their youth tripping them up a time or two this year. However, come tournament time, they could be formidable. Definitely look out for them next year.
Last edited by pbhoopsters on Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pbhoopsters

Postby pbhoopsters » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:10 pm

vballfan06 wrote:I'd agree with PBH, Kindred lost pretty much everyone but mandi bindas from a year ago. They're young and inexperienced, plus the region's as good as its been in awhile.
I do disagree though with the comment about one-dimensional teams. I agree, you need more options---yet, in Class B basketball, when you have a horse....you ride it! And then you give set roles to the rest of the ball players. If you can have 5 other players score 5-6 points a night, one's bound to hit double digits...you're in the ball game every single night. Plus, team's just need to play better defense. I think it seems to be a lost art in Class B, unless I'm just too young to remember that it's always been this way. There's a reason teams like Bottineau get to the state tournament every year, and that's because defensively they're always very tough.

Oh no question. If you only have one horse to ride you stick with it. However, with CC, they have a solid TEAM that can hurt you so many way. These girls have a basketball savy that I really like. They constanly move and make great cuts to the basket. If you try to double one of their stars they will make you pay by finding the open girl on a basket cut.
pbhoopsters

Postby ClassBEast » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:29 am

From The Forum:

Squirrels have tough road ahead
Eric Peterson,
Published Thursday, December 20, 2007

Through five games, Central Cass has defeated perennially strong Class B girls basketball programs Northern Cass and Kindred, which has won the last two Region 1 titles.

The Squirrels’ schedule gets no easier in January with 12 games. Included in that span are matchups against No. 6-ranked Fairmount-Campbell-Tintah (7-1), No. 8-ranked Hankinson (8-0), No. 10-ranked Maple Valley (6-1) and Lidgerwood (6-1), which received votes in this week’s Class B media poll.

“It will be a long season just because there are so many strong teams,” Central Cass coach Barb Kraft said. “Right now we’re at the point where those games are confidence builders for us. These are teams we have struggled with the last few years.”

Two years ago, the Squirrels won six games. They won 13 games last season and hope that trend continues this winter.

Central Cass has won its last four games this winter and has a 4-1 record.

“I think that our girls have matured a lot and are playing together as a team really well and have just worked really hard,” Kraft said. “I would say our defense has been the key to all of this. We have worked really hard on the defensive end and that has been our focus.”

Juniors Ashleigh Nesemeier, Abby Sprunk, Terese Boeder, Kelsey Smith and Kayla Nelson and freshman Taylor Kraft have all been in the starting mix for Central Cass this season.

The 5-foot-11 Kraft (16.6 points per game), Nesemeier (12.6) and Sprunk (10.0) are the top three Central Cass scoring threats.

“I think what is going to help any team at the end is depth,” Barb Kraft said. “I think we have that. We go nine or 10 deep.”
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vballfan06 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:37 pm

PBH: I agree with you about C. Cass. I was talking about Kindred. The couple games I've seen them play, they don't seem to have as many offensive options (however, no one's afraid to pump up a trey). I'd like to see them slow down a little bit, and let the Bindas girls go to work.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby pbhoopsters » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:58 pm

vballfan06 wrote:PBH: I agree with you about C. Cass. I was talking about Kindred. The couple games I've seen them play, they don't seem to have as many offensive options (however, no one's afraid to pump up a trey). I'd like to see them slow down a little bit, and let the Bindas girls go to work.

Yes, I knew you were talking about Kindred. Both Kindred and Maple Valley rely too much on Mandi Bindas and Killoran. My point with CC is that they rely on pretty much every one on the floor. CC did an effective job of taking Morgan Bindas out of the game by allowing her only 1 point. If they do the same with Mariah Smith, Maple Valley will have a long night. I think with both Kindred and Maple Valley success lies any developing the entire team. Mandi Bindas and Killoran will always get their points but that may not be true with Morgan Bindas and Mariah Smith, hence the need to develop the other players.
pbhoopsters

Postby ClassBEast » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:04 pm

Central Cass beat Maple Valley tonight 35 - 34. It was a tight game throughout and very exciting right up to the end. Abby Sprunk scored the final basket with a few seconds left to bring the Squirrels ahead at the buzzer.

Killoran walked off the floor after the game without shaking hands, which was a little surprising. I would assume now with two losses in their own district (they lost to Northern Cass too), Maple Valley would be bumped off the top 10 poll.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby pbhoopsters » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:55 pm

I am surprised it was that close. However, it looks like I may have been correct about Maple Valley being too one dimensional. I think I heard that Killoran had 19 of the team's 34 points - that means the rest of the team only got 15 points. I would guess no one else from Maple Valley got to double figures. Does anyone know how many points Mariah Smith got? Mariah is a very good player and if CC kept her under double figures that would be a big reason for the win. They held Morgan Bindas to 1 point and now it will be interesting to hear how many Mariah got.
pbhoopsters

Postby ClassBEast » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:28 am

pbhoopsters wrote:I am surprised it was that close. However, it looks like I may have been correct about Maple Valley being too one dimensional. I think I heard that Killoran had 19 of the team's 34 points - that means the rest of the team only got 15 points. I would guess no one else from Maple Valley got to double figures. Does anyone know how many points Mariah Smith got? Mariah is a very good player and if CC kept her under double figures that would be a big reason for the win. They held Morgan Bindas to 1 point and now it will be interesting to hear how many Mariah got.

Here's the box score:

Central Cass 35, Maple Valley 34

CC 8 20 25 35

MV 6 15 23 34

MV: Lerud 1, Smith 4, Killoran 19, VonBank 1, T. Steidl 3, K. Steidl 6.

CC: Boeder 5, Sprunk 8, Nesemeier 1, Nelson 2, Samuelson 8, Kraft 11.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby pbhoopsters » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:58 am

After looking at the box score I understand better why it was a close game. Either Nesemier got in early foul trouble or the Maple Valley defense rose to the occasion and shut her down. For her to only get 1 point is certainly big for Maple Valley. According to the Forum, she was prior to the game, averaging 12 points a game. If she would have gotten her average they would have won by 12 which is about what I had expected.
pbhoopsters

Postby ClassBEast » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:31 pm

pbhoopsters wrote:After looking at the box score I understand better why it was a close game. Either Nesemier got in early foul trouble or the Maple Valley defense rose to the occasion and shut her down. For her to only get 1 point is certainly big for Maple Valley. According to the Forum, she was prior to the game, averaging 12 points a game. If she would have gotten her average they would have won by 12 which is about what I had expected.

I don't recall Nesemier getting in early foul trouble. Samuelson started last night and played a lot of minutes and picked up the slack where Neisemier left off. All of the girls were having trouble making the easy shots under the basket, so even though CC won, they could have easily had a bigger lead. They were up most of the game (by 5 at half time), though they could never pull away.

It's true, however, that Maple Valley completely depends on Killoran. I don't think the other girls even shoot that much. She is an amazing player and makes some terrific moves to the basket, but really doesn't have an outside shot. Reffing was a little off last night too as Killoran didn't pick up a foul until the 4th quarter, yet she played very aggressively the entire game. It's like they give her more leeway, because she is who she is.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingbuddy01 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:32 pm

going down to the lockerroom after the game was probably related to stomach flu - heard killoran was really sick anyone who was watching the game could see she clearly wasnt 100%. give props to CC though they're a good team especially defensively. it will be an interesting game to see come tournament time when mv & cc matchup and killoran is 100%.
vikingbuddy01

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:22 am

vikingbuddy01 wrote:going down to the lockerroom after the game was probably related to stomach flu - heard killoran was really sick anyone who was watching the game could see she clearly wasnt 100%. give props to CC though they're a good team especially defensively. it will be an interesting game to see come tournament time when mv & cc matchup and killoran is 100%.

stomach flu or not, she played the entire game, she should have shook hands, takes 10 secs.

MV is very one dimensional & Killoran does not have an outside shot. She's a very good player but at tourney time CC will be more experienced and I believe that the winning margin will be bigger.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Girls