Playtime & parent control over coaches????

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Playtime & parent control over coaches????

Postby dogg » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:21 pm

I want to get some input from others. I watched the opening night of a class B girls game last night. They had 3 games C, JV & V. As I watched these 3 games, I noticed that there are a few girls that played on all 3 squads and a couple of these girls played in all 3 games as well. But then there are some other girls that were only on the JV squad. To me this does not make any sense at all. If these girls are good enough for the Varsity, they shouldn't be playing on the C squad. I'm just wondering if the parents have some kind of claught ( if that's what you want to call it) over the coaches, or what the heck is going on. Just doesn't seem fair to the ones that only got to play on one squad. I don't even have a kid playing and I noticed what was going on.
dogg
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Playtime & parent control over coaches????

Postby Hinsa » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:52 pm

Legally the athlete can play 6 quarters a night. Those quarters can be divvied up any way the coach sees fit. I can see situations where a coach has a talented freshman and wants that freshman to get some time with all 3 squads to experience playing on all 3 levels. You let the girl play at the lower levels to hopefully have some success and build confidence and then you have the girl play varsity to gain experience on what the varsity level is like.

I guess that doesn't surprise me that a basketball player might play on all 3 levels, especially if it's a younger player.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby cutter90 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:51 pm

yah i seen the carrington team do that but it looked like they had a shortage of players
cutter90
NDPreps Starter

Postby ICU » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:43 pm

I think if you have enough kids that some only play jv like that, I don' t think it is very wise to use a kid in all three levels. Yeah, let them feel the success of playing c squads but them move them up to b if they are good enough. If you think they are good enough to play varsity, then have them play b squad and move them to varisty. If they are able to play varsity, they should feel success at the b squad level that they would have felt at the c squad level. Having low numbers is another thing too.
ICU

Postby dogg » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:28 pm

There didn't seem to be any problem with the numbers at this game.
dogg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hoop_fan1 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:02 pm

Playing on 3 squads probably doesn't do anyone any good. let me explain. First you have the parents that watch this player getting time at 3 levels. The player is likely wondering where they sit (Am I good enough to be on varsity but bad enough to play w/ the C squad?). Then you have the other players on the 3 different squads, how do they gel with this player that doesn't practice with them all the time. I think sharing time between 2 squads is perfect, but 3, I just don't understand myself. I think the coach is maybe a little indecisive.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby basketballer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:17 pm

dogg wrote:I want to get some input from others. I watched the opening night of a class B girls game last night. They had 3 games C, JV & V. As I watched these 3 games, I noticed that there are a few girls that played on all 3 squads and a couple of these girls played in all 3 games as well. But then there are some other girls that were only on the JV squad. To me this does not make any sense at all. If these girls are good enough for the Varsity, they shouldn't be playing on the C squad. I'm just wondering if the parents have some kind of claught ( if that's what you want to call it) over the coaches, or what the heck is going on. Just doesn't seem fair to the ones that only got to play on one squad. I don't even have a kid playing and I noticed what was going on.

It's the first game. Maybe the coach wanted to see what the player could do at the different levels. If it still goes on at the middle of the season...I dont get it.
basketballer

Return to Girls