should men coach girls bb

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

should men coach girls bb

Postby sportsmart » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:59 pm

Just want some thoughts on this.
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Re: should men coach girls bb

Postby rep » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:11 pm

absolutely.

men shouldn't be barred from coaching girls' sports in the same way women shouldn't be barred from coaching boys' sports.

being a man or woman doesn't pre-determine your coaching ability. if you can hack it, you can hack it.
rep

Postby Baller » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:37 pm

If men didn't coach girls basketball there would not be enough coaches. Look at the statistics...there are very few women coaching right now.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Roughrider » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:06 pm

this is a dumb topic, it shouldnt matter if you are a woman or man, if you know what your doing, you're qualified for the job
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby adriana » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:22 pm

Definitely...
Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby Thunder05 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:07 pm

i don't see why this is even being discussed, of course men can coach girls bball
Thunder05

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:22 pm

believe this topic is referencing the number of men coaches who have been caught and/or accused of doing bad things with their ballplayers (oakes, etc.) not whether someone has the coaching ability or not.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thundercat 99 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:55 pm

is there a reason for bringing this topic up??? There is no reason why men cant coach girls basketball
I agree with Baller, there would be coaching shortages
''You play to win the game!''
thundercat 99
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsmart » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:09 pm

You all took the topic wrong. Just saying sometimes guy coaches yell and females can't handle the yelling and that team would be better off with a more understanding female coach. Point was do females react better with a female coach or should they just struggle it up and except the criticism and not be such whinners. Man you guys are quick to judge. you all need to chill out.
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:36 pm

I don't think the gender of the coach makes much difference. It's understanding how to motivate your players. Both men and women can motivate girls, but the motivational methods are far different than with guys. Generally, you get in a boy's face, he responds to the challenge. You get in a girl's face, she will think you are personally attacking her as a person. Girls generally need a nurturing coach.

However, I have seen some girls that will spit nails just like boys and those girls will respond to an in-your-face challenge.

So coaches need to understand their players and figure out what works to motivate each player.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:08 pm

well, you left the interpretation wide open with the statement.......agreed tho......girls in general don't respond well to the in your face style......you could tell most boys, they stink and they have the response, i'll show you. girls in general get chewed at a half-time often they collapse......for every criticism you give a girl you'd better give them 2-3 they did something good or all they hear is the bad....
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:32 pm

I dont understand why you say they need to chill out when all you did was ask their thoughts without even asking a question. instead of telling them they took it wrong, maybe you should explain it a little bit.

but on the topic...men should be able to coach girls basketball. if they are a good coach they wont just yell at the girls. while some respond to the in your face attitude like stated before most dont which is where the coach needs to adjust and find something the girls can relate too. its the same with guys, every player responds differently to different sorts of critizism. its the job as the coach to point out what they do wrong and find away to relate with the player on how to fix it. doesnt matter if its a male or a female, if the coach can get their message across to the players they should be able to coach....no matter the sex.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby 7-11 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:45 am

We probably don't want to characterize male coaches as being yellers. I've seen a couple who are maybe too soft. On the other hand, check out Mayville this season if Katie (fka) Richards, of Hope and UND fame, is back on the bench with Dave Nelson. She has no hesitation in ripping into players, and I expect that she may someday be a head coach. Just an observation.
7-11

Postby Eminence » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:33 am

Coaching styles are not gender specific. Coaches who have excelled in girls basketball or any sport realize how to motivate different kids. There are more female coaches on the college level than on the high school level. You don't see any female coaching a boys team but you see a lot of men coaching a girls team. So there is a double standard that exist. How would a women teach a boy how to dunk?
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby adriana » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:41 pm

Eminence wrote:Coaching styles are not gender specific. Coaches who have excelled in girls basketball or any sport realize how to motivate different kids. There are more female coaches on the college level than on the high school level. You don't see any female coaching a boys team but you see a lot of men coaching a girls team. So there is a double standard that exist. How would a women teach a boy how to dunk?

How many coaches, men or women, teach their players how to dunk??

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:45 pm

adriana wrote:
Eminence wrote:Coaching styles are not gender specific. Coaches who have excelled in girls basketball or any sport realize how to motivate different kids. There are more female coaches on the college level than on the high school level. You don't see any female coaching a boys team but you see a lot of men coaching a girls team. So there is a double standard that exist. How would a women teach a boy how to dunk?

Zero! Good point Adriana. You rock!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby adriana » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Hinsa wrote:
adriana wrote:

Zero! Good point Adriana. You rock!

Haha well seriously...

-Michael Jordan
adriana
NDPreps Starter

Postby B_Baller » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:47 pm

Roughrider wrote:this is a dumb topic, it shouldnt matter if you are a woman or man, if you know what your doing, you're qualified for the job

actually i say a coach is a coach and it isnt sexist either if u know what to do and how to teach then i say ur qualified.....thats my opinion
B_Baller
NDPreps Starter

Return to Girls