And the Hoopster says. . .

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby mplsfan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:26 pm

1. Bottineau
2. Bowman
3. Grafton
4. Fairmount T-C
5. New Town
6. Steele-Dawson
7. Lakota
8. Shiloh Christian

Any thoughts?
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:43 pm

is this just the teams they pick to win the regions??  thats my guess since there isnt 10..
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby mplsfan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:00 pm

Yes, these are actually the picks to make the state tournament. The top pick from each region then ranked 1-8. The polls throughout the year will no doubt have a different look.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:27 pm

[user=4320]mplsfan[/user] wrote:
1. Bottineau
2. Bowman
3. Grafton
4. Fairmount T-C
5. New Town
6. Steele-Dawson
7. Lakota
8. Shiloh Christian

Any thoughts?

Did Minnawaukeen Leeds lose a lot of girls to graduation they made state last year or Lakota just have more coming back? Anybody in Region 2 give Grafton run for there money?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:04 am

Lakota pretty much brings everyone back. Minn/Leeds is picked 3rd in their district behind Langdon and Stark/Munich.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Biff » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:52 pm

ndfan wrote:[user=4320]mplsfan[/user] wrote:
1. Bottineau
2. Bowman
3. Grafton
4. Fairmount T-C
5. New Town
6. Steele-Dawson
7. Lakota
8. Shiloh Christian

Any thoughts?

Did Minnawaukeen Leeds lose a lot of girls to graduation they made state last year or Lakota just have more coming back? Anybody in Region 2 give Grafton run for there money?

Grafton is going to be an excellent team this year.  They could possibly be the Bottineau of 2005-06.  Which I think was the BEST class b girls basketball team for a couple decades.
Biff
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Unity77 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:21 pm

Who does Grafton have?
Unity77
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hoop_fan1 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:54 am

Grafton kind of comes out of the woodwork this year, why?

They benefited from the transfer of one particular player, they have a 6 ft. Junior center (Katie Houdek) who was recovering from knee surgery last year and recently verbaled to play at UND in 2 years (her uncle is former UND player Dave Robertson).  They also have a 5-11 banger (Sam Dravland) who won't have to be called on to score as much, but will start to get more open looks with all the attention Baldwin and Houdek will get.  Grafton's current ranking might be a little high IMO.  For those who don't agree with me, let me make a few points. 

1. they haven't proven themselves to anyone, (YET).  Bottineau, Bowman have a pretty good resume.

2. they haven't played together very long.

3. they have a tough opponent early in the year (Bottineau) who could totally destroy them and their confidence.

4.  Fordville-Lankin-Park River lost a key player in Erickson, but I believe they will relish the opportunity to knock off a team they feel they are just as good as (plus there is a younger Erickson who probably thinks she's just as good as her older sister).  Dakota Prairie, who has had some misfortune in tourney play the last couple years, feels the same way.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby mplsfan » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:19 am

[user=2101]Biff[/user] wrote:
ndfan wrote:[user=4320]mplsfan[/user] wrote:
1. Bottineau
2. Bowman
3. Grafton
4. Fairmount T-C
5. New Town
6. Steele-Dawson
7. Lakota
8. Shiloh Christian

Any thoughts?

Grafton is going to be an excellent team this year.  They could possibly be the Bottineau of 2005-06.  Which I think was the BEST class b girls basketball team for a couple decades.

I don't have any personal knowledge of Grafton. For all I know they may be as good this year as some here suggest. However as far as the Bottineau comparison goes, remember that in 2004-05 (the year before their state championship) Bottineau was 24-1 and ranked #1 most of the year. They lost the regional championship to Mohall, a team they had beaten by 20 a week and a half earlier. The dominant team Bottineau had in 2005-06 was an extention of an equally dominant team the year before. Without that 1 loss in 04-05 they may have been going for title number 4 in a row this year.
Last edited by mplsfan on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:01 pm

NATURAL TALENT wrote:Lakota pretty much brings everyone back. Minn/Leeds is picked 3rd in their district behind Langdon and Stark/Munich.

Wow, I'm surprised by that ranking.  Mwkn-Leeds lost one player I believe from a team that went 26-2 and are only ranked third in their district?  I'm sure there are some good teams in the district, but c'mon, they should still be the favorite to make it to state from Region 4.  That's some good bulletin board material for Coach Risovi!
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:31 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Wow, I'm surprised by that ranking.  Mwkn-Leeds lost one player I believe from a team that went 26-2 and are only ranked third in their district?  I'm sure there are some good teams in the district, but c'mon, they should still be the favorite to make it to state from Region 4.  That's some good bulletin board material for Coach Risovi!

They lost 5 seniors and 3 of them were starters.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Re: And the Hoopster says. . .

Postby sports911 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:11 pm

I dont think Grafton will go as far as everyone thinks. I was talking to one of the players on the team and she said that there are some ball hogs on the team. She was also worried about the "trasfer" being the biggest ball hog because she is coaches neice. Also someone was saying that they plays before were spread out for all the players and now they are just revolved around the point guard. In my opinion this will be one team that wont get along and will have a lot of drama. And teams with drama dont go far.
sports911

Postby Baller » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:13 pm

I don't think that will happen...not the MO of either one of the Balwin's....I will pick them to win the region.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby pbhoopsters » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:50 pm

Baller wrote:I don't think that will happen...not the MO of either one of the Balwin's....I will pick them to win the region.

I agree. Sammi plays to win. Every game I saw her play showed me an unselfish player. Certainly there will be some jealousy, but every team has to deal with this issue to some degree. I'm sure Bottineau deals with the issues of team chemistry and jealousy as well. We will see how these two teams compare when they play in Minot on December 8th.
pbhoopsters

Postby hoop_fan1 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:27 pm

pbhoopsters wrote:
Baller wrote:I don't think that will happen...not the MO of either one of the Balwin's....I will pick them to win the region.

I agree. Sammi plays to win. Every game I saw her play showed me an unselfish player. Certainly there will be some jealousy, but every team has to deal with this issue to some degree. I'm sure Bottineau deals with the issues of team chemistry and jealousy as well. We will see how these two teams compare when they play in Minot on December 8th.

I have a similar take on Baldwin, how can someone averaging nearly 8 assists be a ball hog? It doesn't make sense. I think she is everything you want in a point guard, she will not score as much as she did last year however.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Re:

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:05 pm

NATURAL TALENT wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Wow, I'm surprised by that ranking.  Mwkn-Leeds lost one player I believe from a team that went 26-2 and are only ranked third in their district?  I'm sure there are some good teams in the district, but c'mon, they should still be the favorite to make it to state from Region 4.  That's some good bulletin board material for Coach Risovi!

They lost 5 seniors and 3 of them were starters.

I still think Mwkn-Leeds is the team to beat from Region 4. Yeah, they lost 5 players (3 starters) but they will only miss Hope Keller and Dawn Teigen. They have one of the quickest guards in the region in Bobbi Grann and 2 good low post players in Erickson and Callahan. Plus they bring up a couple other players that have some good varsity experience in Denage Braaten and Katrece Thompson. I think the balance between the quickness of their guards and their height in the post will make them a tough matchup for a lot of teams.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:08 pm

i'll make a motion that grann be recognized as one of the quickest guards in the state and not just region 4. saw her for the first time last year at state and she was ML's perimeter defense. very fun player to watch.
rep

Postby nd_sports_fan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:47 am

sports911 wrote:I dont think Grafton will go as far as everyone thinks. I was talking to one of the players on the team and she said that there are some ball hogs on the team. She was also worried about the "trasfer" being the biggest ball hog because she is coaches neice. Also someone was saying that they plays before were spread out for all the players and now they are just revolved around the point guard. In my opinion this will be one team that wont get along and will have a lot of drama. And teams with drama dont go far.

I don't know how you can even say something like that. I don't know of anyone on that team that would say something so dumb. As for all I know all the whole team is happy that Sammi came because she gives them an excellent chance to win state, ask the players. As for the drama part, all these players get along excellent and I have seen it first hand. And Sammi is defiantly not a ball hog because her stats from last year and years before prove that!! People need to stop making posts on this website that they have no idea of what they are talking about.
nd_sports_fan

Postby Eminence » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:20 am

nd_sports_fan wrote:
sports911 wrote:I dont think Grafton will go as far as everyone thinks. I was talking to one of the players on the team and she said that there are some ball hogs on the team. She was also worried about the "trasfer" being the biggest ball hog because she is coaches neice. Also someone was saying that they plays before were spread out for all the players and now they are just revolved around the point guard. In my opinion this will be one team that wont get along and will have a lot of drama. And teams with drama dont go far.

I don't know how you can even say something like that. I don't know of anyone on that team that would say something so dumb. As for all I know all the whole team is happy that Sammi came because she gives them an excellent chance to win state, ask the players. As for the drama part, all these players get along excellent and I have seen it first hand. And Sammi is defiantly not a ball hog because her stats from last year and years before prove that!! People need to stop making posts on this website that they have no idea of what they are talking about.

Drama is always created by the parents and very seldom by the players. If they don't go far it will be because of the adults, not the kids!
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nd_sports_fan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:07 pm

Eminence wrote:
nd_sports_fan wrote:

Drama is always created by the parents and very seldom by the players. If they don't go far it will be because of the adults, not the kids!

Couldn't agree more, drama is defiantly created by the parents and not the players. Parents should just stay out of high school sports and let the coach do their job. The parents job is to support the team and town. Some parents in that town are setting a very poor example and need to start acting like adults.
nd_sports_fan

Re:

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:47 am

NATURAL TALENT wrote:Lakota pretty much brings everyone back. Minn/Leeds is picked 3rd in their district behind Langdon and Stark/Munich.

Wow, this region sure isn't shaping up like the coaches picked. Mwkn/Leeds has moved to the team to beat with the LR tourney championship and an impressive showing at the Hoopster classic. R/W looks like they will be one of the top challengers in the Dist and Reg. Lakota is playing too well right now. Maddock and NRS will challenge them in Dist 7. I think ML has a slight edge over these teams, but after them there are about 5-6 very good teams. Should be a great tourney season in this region!
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: Re:

Postby ndcommentor » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:00 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:

Wow, this region sure isn't shaping up like the coaches picked. Mwkn/Leeds has moved to the team to beat with the LR tourney championship and an impressive showing at the Hoopster classic. R/W looks like they will be one of the top challengers in the Dist and Reg. Lakota is playing too well right now. Maddock and NRS will challenge them in Dist 7. I think ML has a slight edge over these teams, but after them there are about 5-6 very good teams. Should be a great tourney season in this region!

i think after ml and langdon play their district game alot of questions will be answered like who is the best tem in district 8 and after lakota and nrs play. the winners will prob play in the regional championship to go to state.
ndcommentor

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:47 pm

ndcommentor wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

i think after ml and langdon play their district game alot of questions will be answered like who is the best tem in district 8 and after lakota and nrs play. the winners will prob play in the regional championship to go to state.

Carringtons girls only beat Lakota by 30 last week that say anything?
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseballlvr » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:11 pm

ndsportsfan14 wrote:
ndcommentor wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

Carringtons girls only beat Lakota by 30 last week that say anything?

I think that ML is definitly the best team in district 8. Langdon beat MS by 2 points, and MS's record shows that they're the second worst team in their district. I don't see Langdon putting up much of a fight against ML. ML is just too tall for Langdon to match up against
baseballlvr
NDPreps Starter

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:30 pm

ML has a tough road ahead to close out their schedule. They play Maddock tonight, then Lakota, Langdon, New Rockford, MS, Carrington and Harvey. Anything could happen with these games, I think they are all at the top of the region right now.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Girls