Top Point Guards from each Region

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Re:

Postby Baller » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:57 am

sports911 wrote:
pbhoopsters wrote:Sammi Baldwin - out of Grafton, a transfer from Drayton - St Thomas, has struck me as the best point guard in Class B basketball. Not only can she score and dish but she also is a very good rebounder. I believe she averages over 5 rebounds a game - maybe more. I watched her play this summer and she does an extremely good job at boxing out and has a great nose for the ball. She is a great leader and extremely competitive.

But the thing is...she only moved to Grafton to get recognized! Thats pretty much putting the team she did have back in Drayton-St. Thomas to the ground because she wans't there. Thats a pretty low move on her part.

She was already recognized before she moved...she moved early and lived with her sister so she could start playing with her new team and then her parents moved this summer.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Top Point Guards from each Region

Postby pbhoopsters » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:32 am

I have a different view of Sammi's move. In talking to her Dad this summer, (Who coached Drayton-St Thomas) he was unsure they would have enough girls to field a Varsity team this year. I think both he and Sammi were frustrated with the level of commitment shown by the potential players at Drayton-St. Thomas. With the change in the High School Eligiblity Rule this summer the Baldwins could have faced a no-play paradox. Had she stayed at Drayton-St Thomas they may not have had enough girls to field a Varsity team - Had she waited to transfer to Grafton this fall she would have been ineligible to play. In hindsight players at Drayton-Thomas might not be a problem but they had to make a decision without the benefit of hindsight.

Yes, she could apply for hardship but why go throught that process if you can solve the problem simply by transferring. Sammi does not need to be recognized - she already is. She has been featured in Hoopser for a few years and has played club ball for two years. Those who need to know are aware of her playing ability. Since her aunt is coach at Grafton it was an easy call for the family to make.
pbhoopsters

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:51 am

Maybe....get real tho...that would'nt have happened.........she snuck out of Dr-StTh....in school one day, out the next.....didn't tell her friends, nothing. Baller is right.....maybe dad and daughter didn't set the right committment tone either since both of them bailed on DrStTh.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:51 pm

When somebody transfers schools I think it is usually done as a calculated risk and probably not something usually done at the spur of the moment. I'd prefer to leave them alone and just wish them well.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby pbhoopsters » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:39 pm

I agree! Having known the Baldwins for the past two years and spoken to them about this issue specifically, I certainly would never characterize their leaving as a lack of commitment. Sammi's level of commitment to the sport and her highly competitive nature are in fact two of the qualities that I think contribute to her being the best Class B point guard in North Dakota.
pbhoopsters

Postby Thunder05 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:11 pm

Erin Ericson out of Hatton Northwood.
Thunder05

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:20 pm

her move was calculated, very calculated
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby pbhoopsters » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Thunder05 wrote:Erin Ericson out of Hatton Northwood.

Erin is a good ball player but I see her as more of a 2 than a 1. She is a scorer first and a ball handler second. She is short, but she has mastered the step back giving her the space she needs to get off the 3. With about 150 3s in her high school career you want her getting in shooting position - not setting up others.

She reminds me somewhat of Emily Moran - who plays for the NDSU Bison. Emily was brought in to play point guard but was more natural at wing where she has proved to be a productive 3 point shooter.
pbhoopsters

Postby luvbball_5 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:41 pm

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:Maybe....get real tho...that would'nt have happened.........she snuck out of Dr-StTh....in school one day, out the next.....didn't tell her friends, nothing. Baller is right.....maybe dad and daughter didn't set the right committment tone either since both of them bailed on DrStTh.

I definately agree with her....she is exactly right..she didn't say a word...who does everyone here think will get senior player of the year? i think either Sammi Baldwin or Kelsey Adamsen of Grafton...Kelsey Adamsen has a big shot over Baldwin...Kelsey is alot faster, can shoot the ball just as well, good on the boards...and definately has tremendous defense...she is just as competive as Sammi..but better.
luvbball_5

Postby luvbball_5 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:43 pm

Baller wrote:
sports911 wrote:
pbhoopsters wrote:Sammi Baldwin - out of Grafton, a transfer from Drayton - St Thomas, has struck me as the best point guard in Class B basketball. Not only can she score and dish but she also is a very good rebounder. I believe she averages over 5 rebounds a game - maybe more. I watched her play this summer and she does an extremely good job at boxing out and has a great nose for the ball. She is a great leader and extremely competitive.

But the thing is...she only moved to Grafton to get recognized! Thats pretty much putting the team she did have back in Drayton-St. Thomas to the ground because she wans't there. Thats a pretty low move on her part.

She was already recognized before she moved...she moved early and lived with her sister so she could start playing with her new team and then her parents moved this summer.

Im pretty sure she never moved...she still is resided in St.Thomas....i wonder what the GHS thinks?....does anybody know the actual truth?...who knows...She was already recognized and she would of stood out more at Drayton-St.Thomas because she was however the best one on the team but now that she is in Grafton, there are alot of good players...better ones than her....Adamsen hits her with a long shot.
luvbball_5

Postby luvbball_5 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:46 pm

Baller wrote:
sports911 wrote:

Pretty sure that she is still resided in St.Thomas...
luvbball_5

Postby luvbball_5 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:21 pm

pbhoopsters wrote:I agree! Having known the Baldwins for the past two years and spoken to them about this issue specifically, I certainly would never characterize their leaving as a lack of commitment. Sammi's level of commitment to the sport and her highly competitive nature are in fact two of the qualities that I think contribute to her being the best Class B point guard in North Dakota.

Kelsey Adamsen could definately beat her in the top player in Class B Basketball.
luvbball_5

Postby pbhoopsters » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:58 pm

I have not seen Kelsey play a whole lot but when I did I viewed her as a 2 guard. I am not sure how Coach Sieben wil use her guards but if I were coaching I would start out rotating Baldwin and Morgan Thompson at point guard. What I look for in a point guard is play-making ability, which in my mind is totally diffrent than scoring ability. If a guard has good penetrating ability and has the ability to draw help defense to create a good scoring opportunity for a teammate that person makes a good point guard. On this year's Grafton team, in my mind, that would describe Baldwin and Thompson.

However, having said that, I do realize that when a new player comes into a school district, a player's abilities will not be the only factor to consider. Team chemistry and school politics could enter into the decision-making as well.
pbhoopsters

Postby luvbball_5 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:45 pm

pbhoopsters wrote:I have not seen Kelsey play a whole lot but when I did I viewed her as a 2 guard. I am not sure how Coach Sieben wil use her guards but if I were coaching I would start out rotating Baldwin and Morgan Thompson at point guard. What I look for in a point guard is play-making ability, which in my mind is totally diffrent than scoring ability. If a guard has good penetrating ability and has the ability to draw help defense to create a good scoring opportunity for a teammate that person makes a good point guard. On this year's Grafton team, in my mind, that would describe Baldwin and Thompson.

However, having said that, I do realize that when a new player comes into a school district, a player's abilities will not be the only factor to consider. Team chemistry and school politics could enter into the decision-making as well.

Well if you think Morgan Thompson is good you should really watch Kelsey Adamsen. I do agree with the whole rotating idea though....Adamsen can definately find the play-making ability, scoring ability, great defense, she really knows how to push the ball up the floor and get the steals for easy lay ups. Thompson is also only a junior, i believe. It'll all be up to Baldwin and Adamsen...i guess we'll just have to wait and see but i can more than likely guarentee that Adamsen has a far better chance...she has positive attitude just as well. NOt saying that Baldwin doesn't, but she does have poor attitude if something happens to her, such as, a steal, or stuffed....its just a matter of poor attitude and can't handle it...people really think she is the best one out there because she ran the show last year, but im telling you now, its a new year and Adamsen is gonna be running the show.
luvbball_5

Postby sioux10 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:22 am

luvbball_5 wrote:
pbhoopsters wrote:I have not seen Kelsey play a whole lot but when I did I viewed her as a 2 guard. I am not sure how Coach Sieben wil use her guards but if I were coaching I would start out rotating Baldwin and Morgan Thompson at point guard. What I look for in a point guard is play-making ability, which in my mind is totally diffrent than scoring ability. If a guard has good penetrating ability and has the ability to draw help defense to create a good scoring opportunity for a teammate that person makes a good point guard. On this year's Grafton team, in my mind, that would describe Baldwin and Thompson.

Well if you think Morgan Thompson is good you should really watch Kelsey Adamsen. I do agree with the whole rotating idea though....Adamsen can definately find the play-making ability, scoring ability, great defense, she really knows how to push the ball up the floor and get the steals for easy lay ups. Thompson is also only a junior, i believe. It'll all be up to Baldwin and Adamsen...i guess we'll just have to wait and see but i can more than likely guarentee that Adamsen has a far better chance...she has positive attitude just as well. NOt saying that Baldwin doesn't, but she does have poor attitude if something happens to her, such as, a steal, or stuffed....its just a matter of poor attitude and can't handle it...people really think she is the best one out there because she ran the show last year, but im telling you now, its a new year and Adamsen is gonna be running the show.

yes kelsey adamsen may be an athletic and quick guard but I don't think you can even began to compare her with baldwin. Have you ever watched kelsey adamsen play, she is a great basketball player, but she is out of control. She seems like she is rushed and has to run a hundred miles an hour. Adamsen is definitely an all-district player, but she is not by any means in the same league as baldwin. Together these two girls will be a dynamic duo that will be hard to stop in district four and region 2 and maybe even the whole state. Im very excited to watch grafton play this year
sioux10

Postby Baller » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:16 am

Can they beat Bottineau??
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby luvbball_5 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:50 pm

sioux10 wrote:
luvbball_5 wrote:

yes kelsey adamsen may be an athletic and quick guard but I don't think you can even began to compare her with baldwin. Have you ever watched kelsey adamsen play, she is a great basketball player, but she is out of control. She seems like she is rushed and has to run a hundred miles an hour. Adamsen is definitely an all-district player, but she is not by any means in the same league as baldwin. Together these two girls will be a dynamic duo that will be hard to stop in district four and region 2 and maybe even the whole state. Im very excited to watch grafton play this year

Your getting out of hand...Kelsey could dominate Baldwin...yeah, i've seen her play more than you have...and i have seen Baldwin too, both great players. I think you don't watch for Adamsen as much as you do for Baldwin and maybe thats why your looking at a different view than myself. Adamsen has never really been out of control. Baldwin is alot slower, and Kelsey finds new ways to get the ball in to get an easy shot. Baldwin gets to frusterated on the court cause she has to feel she needs to be the best. But last time i checked, their wasn't an i in team. In oreder to ave a winner, the team must have a feeling of unity-- every player must put the team first--ahead of personal glory. Baldwin never did achieve that.. Everyone can get out of control during games, but Adamsen never has gotten more than 3 turn overs a game i dont think. We will all just have to find out. Who ever plays the best, gets the best of it.
I still think Adamsen has a big shot.
luvbball_5

Postby luvbball_5 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:51 pm

Baller wrote:Can they beat Bottineau??

NOT A CHANCE!!
luvbball_5

Re:

Postby luvbball_5 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:54 pm

hammer63 wrote:Samatha Baldwin was something like 20 points 5 rebounds and 8 assists as a junior she the best in Region 2

others are Maddi Lamb from Dakota Prairie and I think Erin Ericson is a point guard at Hatton Northwood. Callie Nelson from GCC isn't half bad either.

Erin Ericson could give sammi a run..i believe buttineau will be able to take them out in state.
luvbball_5

Postby luvbball_5 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:59 pm

pbhoopsters wrote:I have a different view of Sammi's move. In talking to her Dad this summer, (Who coached Drayton-St Thomas) he was unsure they would have enough girls to field a Varsity team this year. I think both he and Sammi were frustrated with the level of commitment shown by the potential players at Drayton-St. Thomas. With the change in the High School Eligiblity Rule this summer the Baldwins could have faced a no-play paradox. Had she stayed at Drayton-St Thomas they may not have had enough girls to field a Varsity team - Had she waited to transfer to Grafton this fall she would have been ineligible to play. In hindsight players at Drayton-Thomas might not be a problem but they had to make a decision without the benefit of hindsight.

Yes, she could apply for hardship but why go throught that process if you can solve the problem simply by transferring. Sammi does not need to be recognized - she already is. She has been featured in Hoopser for a few years and has played club ball for two years. Those who need to know are aware of her playing ability. Since her aunt is coach at Grafton it was an easy call for the family to make.

I'm pretty sure that DrSth would have a perfect number of players..only having 8 last year or something like..and if Baldwin never would of trasfered Jennifer Gallagher out of Drayton, would of stayed, and they would be quite good. With the height of Paige Thompson, and Alyson McMartin, they will be alright on the boards. With the guards, they are great three point shooters..it'll all just have to come from the outside to keep them running against the scores. I think they will be just fine if they keep their heads up and think the best of committment, and loyalty to the game. With the 8th graders this year, who played their 7th grade year, will have a little expierence and could improve over the season.
luvbball_5

Postby pbhoopsters » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:04 pm

luvbball_5 wrote:
Baller wrote:Can they beat Bottineau??

NOT A CHANCE!!

We''ll find out. They play one another in Minot on December 8th. I think it will be a good game. Katie Houdek played very well over the summer and looked very impressive. I may even have to take a trip up to Minot to watch that game.
pbhoopsters

Postby Adam33 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:56 pm

sioux10 wrote:
luvbball_5 wrote:

If Grafton wants to go to state they will play baldwin as much as dst played her
Adam33
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nd_sports_fan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:26 pm

luvbball_5 wrote:
sioux10 wrote:
luvbball_5 wrote:

Your getting out of hand...Kelsey could dominate Baldwin...yeah, i've seen her play more than you have...and i have seen Baldwin too, both great players. I think you don't watch for Adamsen as much as you do for Baldwin and maybe thats why your looking at a different view than myself. Adamsen has never really been out of control. Baldwin is alot slower, and Kelsey finds new ways to get the ball in to get an easy shot. Baldwin gets to frusterated on the court cause she has to feel she needs to be the best. But last time i checked, their wasn't an i in team. In oreder to ave a winner, the team must have a feeling of unity-- every player must put the team first--ahead of personal glory. Baldwin never did achieve that.. Everyone can get out of control during games, but Adamsen never has gotten more than 3 turn overs a game i dont think. We will all just have to find out. Who ever plays the best, gets the best of it.

Wow this is a dumb argument. I have watched both these players there whole lives. Sammi is the better player by far, not to take anything away from kelsey because she is a very good bball player herself. Sammi is a better shooter, better scorer, and just an all round better basketball player. Kelsey will benfit so much from Sammi playing with her, i could see kelsey getting at least 5 fastbreak layups a game from Sammi pushing the ball up the floor because Sammi is a very unselfish basketball player. I don't know what games you have watched Sammi play, but she is defiantly not slow, not selfish, and she is a very good team player, which her stats prove that. If you ask both of these player I don't think they care to much about who is better, all they care about is winning basketball games.
nd_sports_fan

Postby nd_sports_fan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:35 pm

nd_sports_fan wrote:
luvbball_5 wrote:
sioux10 wrote:
luvbball_5 wrote:

Wow this is a dumb argument. I have watched both these players there whole lives. Sammi is the better player by far, not to take anything away from kelsey because she is a very good bball player herself. Sammi is a better shooter, better scorer, and just an all round better basketball player. Kelsey will benfit so much from Sammi playing with her, i could see kelsey getting at least 5 fastbreak layups a game from Sammi pushing the ball up the floor because Sammi is a very unselfish basketball player. I don't know what games you have watched Sammi play, but she is defiantly not slow, not selfish, and she is a very good team player, which her stats prove that. If you ask both of these player I don't think they care to much about who is better, all they care about is winning basketball games.

and another thing Kelsey Adamsen is not even a point gaurd, she will probably end up playing the 3 spot or the two spot, but most of the time the 3 spot. Kelsey will hardly ever be bring the ball up the floor.
nd_sports_fan

Postby sioux10 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:39 am

nd_sports_fan wrote:
nd_sports_fan wrote:
luvbball_5 wrote:
sioux10 wrote:
luvbball_5 wrote:

and another thing Kelsey Adamsen is not even a point gaurd, she will probably end up playing the 3 spot or the two spot, but most of the time the 3 spot. Kelsey will hardly ever be bring the ball up the floor.

thank you
sioux10

PreviousNext

Return to Girls